The Destroyermen

Status
Not open for further replies.
"But... but, if I surrender..." the young Jap started. "...I will bring great dishonor upon myself and my family... they and my ancestors would be so ashamed..." He was quiet for a moment, looking around at the lethal water around him, then down at his unconscious officer beside him, before looking back up at Adrian with a noticeably softer expression. He sighed heavily, having realized the glaring truth in Adrian's words. "...alright... I surrender..." he said, tossing the oar down and grabbing the rope that was thrown to him and holding tightly onto it, the lifeboat, and his unconscious comrade as Fiske's deck apes started carefully pulling him in towards Walker. "I am doing this so you can 'rescue' my superior officer since he cannot decide for himself right now and I'd rather see him live, but if I am taken captive I would request that should I decide I want to honorably take my own life afterwards that you let me."
"I would if you could actually carry out the process, you don't have a second who will preform the decapitating strike. but I can not promise anything for your friend their for is he is an officer but for you I will try my hardest but the men around me do not understand your culture as I do including the captain of this ship so take that in to account. Understand my mercy extends as long as you remain civil to the crew of this ship but should you choose to make an attempt of combat or injure them then I will rein upon to the savage rage of the honored dead of my ancestors and friends who fell in battle in both this war and the last." Adrian said with a deadly seriousness. "He has agreed to surrender as long as his friend gets medical treatment *He turned and looked every man in the eye* the rules of war still apply gentlemen and if you mistreat our prisoners then I will put you on your ass so fast you goddamn head will spin like a fucking top and if that doesn't cool your tempers then a dip in this nice ocean with the man eater will." Adrian said, he knew these men had lost friends to the Japanese but they were not alone in that regard and he would be damned if the only clue they had involving the cloud that brought them here besides their own experience get beat to death by emotional sailors.

• Love
Reactions: Trainbrain16
"I would if you could actually carry out the process, you don't have a second who will preform the decapitating strike. but I can not promise anything for your friend their for is he is an officer but for you I will try my hardest but the men around me do not understand your culture as I do including the captain of this ship so take that in to account. Understand my mercy extends as long as you remain civil to the crew of this ship but should you choose to make an attempt of combat or injure them then I will rein upon to the savage rage of the honored dead of my ancestors and friends who fell in battle in both this war and the last." Adrian said with a deadly seriousness. "He has agreed to surrender as long as his friend gets medical treatment *He turned and looked every man in the eye* the rules of war still apply gentlemen and if you mistreat our prisoners then I will put you on your ass so fast you goddamn head will spin like a fucking top and if that doesn't cool your tempers then a dip in this nice ocean with the man eater will." Adrian said, he knew these men had lost friends to the Japanese but they were not alone in that regard and he would be damned if the only clue they had involving the cloud that brought them here besides their own experience get beat to death by emotional sailors.

Fiske quickly organized a detail that Gunner's Mate Horn then armed with several Springfields, one of which he kept for himself. The others mainly stood back, their rifles ready, while three men pulled on the rope. The burly Japanese sailor held the other end, bracing himself upon the keel as best he could. Occasionally a jostling wave caused him to glance anxiously at the unmoving man beside him. The supine form's uniform was dark blue. The boat bumped lightly against Walker's hull, and another rope was lowered. Quickly and professionally, the man tied it around his officer's chest under his arms and then stood back, balanced precariously, as the destroyermen hauled the unconscious man to the deck. Without another glance at the men above, he sat down on the boat and put his hands on his head, lacing his thick, powerful fingers together in his hair. Fiske checked the man's pulse and, except for a small gash on his head, the Japanese officer had no obvious injuries. "Take him to the wardroom, under guard," Dirk ordered. Four of Fiske's men immediately complied, two carrying the rescued Jap to the medical bay while the other two followed along as guards.
"What about the other one?" Isaac asked.
"I don't know. Maybe we can lasso him, or something. We can't just leave him there--Jap or not."
"Goodness gracious!!" exclaimed Courtney Bradford. He stood next to Dirk, looking into the sea. The captain looked at him, then followed his gaze. The dark blue water became much darker directly beneath the boat. Suddenly the creature they'd driven under, or one just like it, rose to the surface, and its gaping, crocodilelike jaws snapped shut on the capsized boat. The thing was enormous! Dirk knew the boat must be twenty-five or thirty feet long, and the jaws were nearly that long by themselves. As the boat splintered, Dirk heard a shriek and saw the terrible jaws close on the Japanese sailor's legs. Even then it was a scream of pain, not terror. He shuddered. The roar of the machine gun just above his head deafened him momentarily and an instant later the bigger .50-cal amidships joined in--as did a couple men with rifles. He hoped a few thought to finish the stubborn Jap and end his pain, but amid the geysering splashes he couldn't tell. The creature writhed and slammed into the ship hard enough to make Dirk grab the rail, then with a huge splash and a swirl of flippers, it disappeared from view.
"Goodness gracious," said Bradford again, his voice subdued by awe.
Dirk stood transfixed, but only for a moment. Then he bellowed to the men below. "Boats, get somebody down there to check the hull for damage! Whatever the hell that was, it bumped us pretty good." For a moment nobody moved, but finally the Bosun stirred.
"Get the lead out, you miserable girly saps! The Skipper gave an order! Ain't you never seen a sea monster eat a Nip before? Shit!"

Fiske quickly organized a detail that Gunner's Mate Horn then armed with several Springfields, one of which he kept for himself. The others mainly stood back, their rifles ready, while three men pulled on the rope. The burly Japanese sailor held the other end, bracing himself upon the keel as best he could. Occasionally a jostling wave caused him to glance anxiously at the unmoving man beside him. The supine form's uniform was dark blue. The boat bumped lightly against Walker's hull, and another rope was lowered. Quickly and professionally, the man tied it around his officer's chest under his arms and then stood back, balanced precariously, as the destroyermen hauled the unconscious man to the deck. Without another glance at the men above, he sat down on the boat and put his hands on his head, lacing his thick, powerful fingers together in his hair. Fiske checked the man's pulse and, except for a small gash on his head, the Japanese officer had no obvious injuries. "Take him to the wardroom, under guard," Dirk ordered. Four of Fiske's men immediately complied, two carrying the rescued Jap to the medical bay while the other two followed along as guards.
"What about the other one?" Isaac asked.
"I don't know. Maybe we can lasso him, or something. We can't just leave him there--Jap or not."
"Goodness gracious!!" exclaimed Courtney Bradford. He stood next to Dirk, looking into the sea. The captain looked at him, then followed his gaze. The dark blue water became much darker directly beneath the boat. Suddenly the creature they'd driven under, or one just like it, rose to the surface, and its gaping, crocodilelike jaws snapped shut on the capsized boat. The thing was enormous! Dirk knew the boat must be twenty-five or thirty feet long, and the jaws were nearly that long by themselves. As the boat splintered, Dirk heard a shriek and saw the terrible jaws close on the Japanese sailor's legs. Even then it was a scream of pain, not terror. He shuddered. The roar of the machine gun just above his head deafened him momentarily and an instant later the bigger .50-cal amidships joined in--as did a couple men with rifles. He hoped a few thought to finish the stubborn Jap and end his pain, but amid the geysering splashes he couldn't tell. The creature writhed and slammed into the ship hard enough to make Dirk grab the rail, then with a huge splash and a swirl of flippers, it disappeared from view.
"Goodness gracious," said Bradford again, his voice subdued by awe.
Dirk stood transfixed, but only for a moment. Then he bellowed to the men below. "Boats, get somebody down there to check the hull for damage! Whatever the hell that was, it bumped us pretty good." For a moment nobody moved, but finally the Bosun stirred.
"Get the lead out, you miserable girly saps! The Skipper gave an order! Ain't you never seen a sea monster eat a Nip before? Shit!"
Adrian dripped from head to toe in water from the monstrosity that had bumped the ship and ate the other jap. "Well at least it doesn't have any guns." He said to no one specifically as he walked away to let the sailors do their jobs, he walked to the med bay and saw that it had calmed down from the chaos of earlier though their were still wounded most that could be saved were stable and besides a few amputations most seemed to have gotten off fairly lucky when it came to their wounds.

Adrian dripped from head to toe in water from the monstrosity that had bumped the ship and ate the other jap. "Well at least it doesn't have any guns." He said to no one specifically as he walked away to let the sailors do their jobs, he walked to the med bay and saw that it had calmed down from the chaos of earlier though their were still wounded most that could be saved were stable and besides a few amputations most seemed to have gotten off fairly lucky when it came to their wounds.
Connie looked to Adrian as he came into the calming wardroom/medbay, sighing a bit as she finished stitching up another of the wounded destroyermen. Walker could be felt leaning a bit as she came about and rushed back to her crippled sister, Mahan, and Connie said "What the hell was going on out there?"

Connie looked to Adrian as he came into the calming wardroom/medbay, sighing a bit as she finished stitching up another of the wounded destroyermen. Walker could be felt leaning a bit as she came about and rushed back to her crippled sister, Mahan, and Connie said "What the hell was going on out there?"
"Well, we were sent through some, portal? I'm really not sure what it was then we fell and luckily landed in water, after that we watched a giant fish like creature attack stranded jap sailors, we shot at it wherein it dived, we then tried to rescue the japs but all but two were eaten by large piranha like fish then we got one jap up and his fellow who was unconscious at the time was eaten by the giant fish from before that...uh also bumped the ship." Adrian said with a strait face to indicate that he was not joking or exaggerating in anyway.

"Well, we were sent through some, portal? I'm really not sure what it was then we fell and luckily landed in water, after that we watched a giant fish like creature attack stranded jap sailors, we shot at it wherein it dived, we then tried to rescue the japs but all but two were eaten by large piranha like fish then we got one jap up and his fellow who was unconscious at the time was eaten by the giant fish from before that...uh also bumped the ship." Adrian said with a strait face to indicate that he was not joking or exaggerating in anyway.
Connie looked Adrian over like he was absolutely out of his mind and shook her head. "Okay, I'm pretty sure you whacked your head on something pretty hard out there. Come here and let me take a look at you for like... what, is this the fourth time today?..."

Connie looked Adrian over like he was absolutely out of his mind and shook her head. "Okay, I'm pretty sure you whacked your head on something pretty hard out there. Come here and let me take a look at you for like... what, is this the fourth time today?..."
Adrian stared down at the nurse then back around the room until his eye's landed on one of the sailors who brought the Japaneses sailor down here. "You, yes you everything I said did happen correct? *The sailor nodded wearily* Ok just making sure." He then looked back at Connie with a pointed stare.

Adrian stared down at the nurse then back around the room until his eye's landed on one of the sailors who brought the Japaneses sailor down here. "You, yes you everything I said did happen correct? *The sailor nodded wearily* Ok just making sure." He then looked back at Connie with a pointed stare.
"Really? That... that all happened?..." Connie asked nervously. "That's... nothing like that could've ever happened where we came from so... where are we?..."

"Really? That... that all happened?..." Connie asked nervously. "That's... nothing like that could've ever happened where we came from so... where are we?..."
"Hell if I know, but that means their are no Jap ships hunting us so that's a small miracle and hopefully we will find land soon." Adrian said as he sat on the floor and leaned his head against the wall looking up at the ceiling.

"Hell if I know, but that means their are no Jap ships hunting us so that's a small miracle and hopefully we will find land soon." Adrian said as he sat on the floor and leaned his head against the wall looking up at the ceiling.
Connie finished up the last of what she needed to do with the sailor she was working on, then came over and sat down next to Adrian, sighing heavily and saying "How long do you think it'll be until those Japs find us and come in to finish us off?"

Connie finished up the last of what she needed to do with the sailor she was working on, then came over and sat down next to Adrian, sighing heavily and saying "How long do you think it'll be until those Japs find us and come in to finish us off?"
"If they came here with us they are probably in just as bad a shape as we are so i'm confident we can rest easy for awhile, i'm more worried of who or what we find when we make land fall because I doubt it will be anything familiar to us. It's hard for me on this ship, I...have nothing I can do to help or any idea about what I am to do, I fully expected to have died on Java yet here I sit somewhere unknown on a ship where i'm not about to march strait into the mouth of hell to complete some obscure objective for men who's names I know but will never meet myself." Adrian looked at her. "How are you holding up Connie?"

"If they came here with us they are probably in just as bad a shape as we are so i'm confident we can rest easy for awhile, i'm more worried of who or what we find when we make land fall because I doubt it will be anything familiar to us. It's hard for me on this ship, I...have nothing I can do to help or any idea about what I am to do, I fully expected to have died on Java yet here I sit somewhere unknown on a ship where i'm not about to march strait into the mouth of hell to complete some obscure objective for men who's names I know but will never meet myself." Adrian looked at her. "How are you holding up Connie?"
"...I'm a fucking wreck..." she said softly, her eyes starting to tear up. "You remember Leslie from earlier, right? The gal who was working on that idiot who slipped and whacked his head on a bulkhead while I was fixing your hand? Half of the blood on this smock is all that's left of her. I was watching as that big shell came in and blew her and Doc to pieces... and I had been standing next to her not two seconds before that..." She lost it at that point and started sobbing, leaning over and wrapping her arms around Adrian with a surprising strength that her small frame might not seem capable of producing.

"...I'm a fucking wreck..." she said softly, her eyes starting to tear up. "You remember Leslie from earlier, right? The gal who was working on that idiot who slipped and whacked his head on a bulkhead while I was fixing your hand? Half of the blood on this smock is all that's left of her. I was watching as that big shell came in and blew her and Doc to pieces... and I had been standing next to her not two seconds before that..." She lost it at that point and started sobbing, leaning over and wrapping her arms around Adrian with a surprising strength that her small frame might not seem capable of producing.
Adrian wrapped his arms around her and let her cry, he knew how it felt seeing your friend in front of you one second then the next they were gone, nothing but a red mist. He brushed his hand through her hair and whispered reassurances into her ear just allowing her to get it all out, the tears were the easy part the numbness after was the hard part. "A person only dies when their name is spoken for the last time, keep her memory alive Connie and she will always be with you."

Connie cried openly for quite a while, revealing the very emotional, somewhat fragile girl she was under the shell of a tough no-nonsense woman. Eventually she managed to sober a bit as it was getting dark and she looked up at Adrian though bloodshot, tear-stained eyes. "...thank you for being here for me, Adrian... I guess maybe we're kind of even now considering the times when I've been here for you today..."

Connie cried openly for quite a while, revealing the very emotional, somewhat fragile girl she was under the shell of a tough no-nonsense woman. Eventually she managed to sober a bit as it was getting dark and she looked up at Adrian though bloodshot, tear-stained eyes. "...thank you for being here for me, Adrian... I guess maybe we're kind of even now considering the times when I've been here for you today..."
Adrian chuckled lightly. "I guess your right Connie and you don't have to thank me for being here, it's just what I do, you know besides all that Marine corps business but that's secondary at the moment. Hopefully we will find land tomorrow." He said, tired of the sea and this ship. He liked to feel so earth under his boots'.

(Question, do you think we should put a thread up advertising this Rp or a banner doing the same? While I enjoy doing this RP with you friend but I feel as though we may be needing to have more RPers soon not just for other personnel on the ship but also for the natives we encounter as this story progresses.)

Adrian chuckled lightly. "I guess your right Connie and you don't have to thank me for being here, it's just what I do, you know besides all that Marine corps business but that's secondary at the moment. Hopefully we will find land tomorrow." He said, tired of the sea and this ship. He liked to feel so earth under his boots'.

(Question, do you think we should put a thread up advertising this Rp or a banner doing the same? While I enjoy doing this RP with you friend but I feel as though we may be needing to have more RPers soon not just for other personnel on the ship but also for the natives we encounter as this story progresses.)
"Yeah, I hope that we can find somewhere familiar and solid soon," Connie sighed.

(Hmm... I think I agree, that might be a good idea. Just to let you know ahead of time, I'm gonna be gone from July 12 to July 18.)

"Yeah, I hope that we can find somewhere familiar and solid soon," Connie sighed.

(Hmm... I think I agree, that might be a good idea. Just to let you know ahead of time, I'm gonna be gone from July 12 to July 18.)
Adrian stood. "I think we should both get some sleep." He said as he stretched and made his way on deck where he found a pile of ropes where he sat himself down and leaned back to where his back was on the ropes and he was facing the sky, he let the rocking of the ship lull him into the sleep with his last thoughts being of home.

(Ok. If you put up an interest thread send me a link so I may look at it.)

Adrian stood. "I think we should both get some sleep." He said as he stretched and made his way on deck where he found a pile of ropes where he sat himself down and leaned back to where his back was on the ropes and he was facing the sky, he let the rocking of the ship lull him into the sleep with his last thoughts being of home.

(Ok. If you put up an interest thread send me a link so I may look at it.)
Connie soon got some sleep herself, her mind going over many different possible explanations for what the hell had happened.

Walker and Mahan steamed (limped, really, and even more so than before) south through the night, hoping to at least find Surabaya (or what was left of it) and use that as a marker to figure out exactly where they were.

(Alright, I'll make sure to do that if I get around to making an advert/interest thread before I leave.)

Connie soon got some sleep herself, her mind going over many different possible explanations for what the hell had happened.

Walker and Mahan steamed (limped, really, and even more so than before) south through the night, hoping to at least find Surabaya (or what was left of it) and use that as a marker to figure out exactly where they were.

(Alright, I'll make sure to do that if I get around to making an advert/interest thread before I leave.)
(You can go ahead and lead off for the 3nd day in the saga of this broken ship.)

(You can go ahead and lead off for the 3nd day in the saga of this broken ship.)
(Alright, you wanna start up a separate, parallel story line with the doomed DD tender Black Hawk?)

When the sun started to rise again they were still running south, but Dirk and his officers had come up with a plan of action. There was a small sliver of land off the northeast corner of Bali called Menjangan island. It was only about two and a half miles long and there was a channel between it and Bali that was about a mile wide. They didn't want to risk running the Bali Strait in the daylight, since they'd be an easy target to spot for any Jap recon planes that might be in the area and neither of the battered four-stackers were in good enough shape anymore to dodge the dive bombers those scouts would no doubt summon. They would hunker down against Menjangan between it and Bali, since the Japs that had landed on Bali had started on the other side of the island and it was unlikely they'd have reached this coast yet. Even if they had, why would they even bother to watch that little strait that didn't even go anywhere. They'd lightly beach the ships and camouflage them, which would give them time and opportunity to patch some holes as well, then run the strait in the dark. When Adrian woke up he'd find Connie had gotten up in the middle of the night and gone to fall asleep again cuddled up to him, since his presence seemed to be the only place she felt safe anymore.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.