The Depth Online - [OOC & Signups]

Status
Not open for further replies.
For magic, how is it used? Like in the game would they have to open up a menu panel and select it or would it just be like they always knew how to do it and just like... 'will' it to occur?

I think, though I haven't talked to Kestrel about it, that your weapons are modifiers for your basic attack. Even though your staff has no stats or modifiers, you still use it to channel your basic magic attacks, just like swinging a sword or firing a gun. All the damage is just based on your INT vs their WIS. Just do what feels right I guess, thrust your staff forward or swing it in an arc and the magic should happen.

@Bolour Kardia
I really don't want to seem like I'm nit-picking or anything, but it looks like some of the calculations were off in your last post. Level 1 Harenn only have 2 VIT and you have 10 STR, you can hit them for 8 damage in one hit. They also gain 2 STR - 1 VIT - 1 INT - 1 WIS and their claws do +1 physical damage every level, so you can hit a level 2 Harenn for 7 dmg and they'll hit back for 3 dmg. Using the proper calculations you can do more damage than you'd expect :D

That brings up another question I have. I feel the need to ask because if I don't I just knoooww I'll get confused and mess up. How are we calculating hits and damage? I assume what hits/doesn't hit is a matter of roleplay, the player saying that they attacked x and x dodged and attacked back, but what about calculating how much damage you do with a hit?

Also, I know I told Mac otherwise, but since these are minor enemies anyway, to be controlled as seen fit, here you go;

-Harenn - Dog-sized jackrabbits with large ears.
Level 1 - 5 STR - 2 VIT - 2 INT - 2 WIS - 9 HP - 3 MP
+2/1/1/1 per level up
Claws - +2 physical attack

Credit to @Mac the Impaler for their creation. More from his hand coming soon.

Also, quick note about the 2 physical damage, Mac and I reworked the formula for damage to make it a bit easier to balance. What it basically means is that instead of (STR - VIT) it becomes (STR - VIT) + (Weapon - Armour). Since no one has armour yet, these guys are gonna do a minimum of 2 damage.

Physical Damage done = (Your STR - Their VIT) + (Your physical attack - Their physical defense)
Magical Damage done = (Your INT - Their WIS) + (Your magical attack - Their Magical defense)

The minimum damage is zero, so 5 STR vs 10 VIT is zero damage not -5 damage.
Physical and Magical attack and defense are stats added by weapons and armour. Starting armour has no stats.

To get you started, I'll do some basic calculations for your character.

Blazentra Level 1 vs Harenn Level 1

Blazentra blasts Harenn with magic (8 INT - 2 WIS) + (0 m.atk - 0 m.def) = 6 dmg
Harenn swipes Blazentra with its claws (5 STR - 9 VIT) + (2 p.atk - 0 p.def) = 2 dmg
Blazentra uses Water Blast on Harenn 1.2*((8INT - 2 WIS) + (0 m.atk - 0 m.def)) = 7 dmg
Harenn dies

• Thank You
Reactions: Kestrel and Rainjay

• THE PLAYER

FULL NAME:Danny Gillis
    APPEARANCE:
    cr_oc_kiseki_by_denpa_chuudoku-d5c68he.jpg

BIRTHDAY & AGE: February 9th, 2022. Age 12.
    NATIONALITY: American

BIO: Danny Gillis is what the gaming community would label a softcore gamer, one who plays casual games casually. Danny plays to learn and discover, not necessarily to fight his way up the championship ladders or gain the highscore in the arcades. Danny had just started high-school when TDO released Beta.

Danny lives in an apartment with his twenty-one year old brother, Mark, and his fiancée, Jessie. His parents had passed away three years ago, and to help cope with the pain Mark introduced Danny to his hobby, online gaming. Though the deaths of his parents still stings, he has learnt to love MMOs and playing online. Mark worked for a game studio, getting access to many games before release. He had to work most days of the week, but when he was free he would spend time online with Danny and Jessie.

Danny had become very withdrawn in his old school after he lost his parents. High-school was a fresh start for him. The term has just started, but Danny has already made friends with his classmates. He joined the computer club, mostly just to be able to play games when no one was watching.

On the day of the TDO release, Mark had promised to dive with Danny the moment beta started. However, his game studio was needed to help monitor the initial startup of the TV servers, so Mark had to leave for a while. Danny played first, and Mark promised that he would meet him online when he had the chance.

• THE CHARACTER

USERNAME: Phax
    APPEARANCE:
    Goblin_Adventurer_by_3shades.jpg

RACE: Goblin
    CLASSES:
    Bard
    Scout
    LEVEL: 2
    EXP: 0
    CREDIT: 0

HP: 28 STR: 8
    MP: 17 VIT: 10
    P.CRIT: 4 INT: 9
    M.CRIT: 4 WIS: 13
    RESISTANCES:
    Fire: 25 Earth: -35 Light: -30
    Water: -15 Air: 55 Darkness: 50

• ABILITIES

• Skill Name Soothe
      Level learned 1
      Skill Type Active
      Cost 4 MP
      Skill Description Soothes up to 4 nearby creatures. Enemies will be stunned and become passive.

Skill Name Intimidating Presence
      Level learned 5
      Skill Type Passive
      Cost
      Skill Description Phax is unnaturally disturbing to other NPCs, and as such they want nothing to do with him. They are susceptible to haggling or interrogation just so Phax will leave them sooner.

Skill Name Healing Saga
      Level learned 10
      Skill Type Active
      Cost 3 MP per Verse
      Skill Description Phax reads inspiring verses that heal party members. Each verse heals 3 HP per verse. Phax can spend another 2 MP in the next post to continue the verse, but he cannot do any other action.

• Skill Name Survey
      Level learned 1
      Skill Type [Active/td]
      Cost 5 MP
      Skill Description Phax surveys an area, revealing hidden objects and enemies.
      [td] [/td]
      [td]

Skill Name Sneak Step
      Level learned 5
      Skill Type Active
      Cost 8 MP
      Skill Description Phax's footsteps are completely silent and he leaves no tracks. The effect lasts for one post or until he is spotted or he uses an ability.

• EQUIPMENT

WEAPON NAME Wooden Lute
    Type: Lute
    Stats: -
    Description: An ordinary lute.
    ARMOUR NAME Wanderlust Vestments
    Type: Leather
    Stats: -
    Description: A suit designed to last across long voyages, with plenty of pockets for gold and trinkets.

• Coming soon tm​

• YOU

EXPECTATIONS: Adventure, loot, action, drama, all that good stuff. Plus world building!
    ROMANCE: Well, my character is twelve, so I'm not sure it's allowed.
    OTHER: My posting might not be very frequent due to the lack of WiFi sometimes, but if I really, really can't post, I'll warn you all in advance. Plus, I like ducklings.
    SIGNATURE:Cheesecake
[/td]

Last edited by a moderator:
I think, though I haven't talked to Kestrel about it, that your weapons are modifiers for your basic attack. Even though your staff has no stats or modifiers, you still use it to channel your basic magic attacks, just like swinging a sword or firing a gun. All the damage is just based on your INT vs their WIS. Just do what feels right I guess, thrust your staff forward or swing it in an arc and the magic should happen.

@Bolour Kardia
I really don't want to seem like I'm nit-picking or anything, but it looks like some of the calculations were off in your last post. Level 1 Harenn only have 2 VIT and you have 10 STR, you can hit them for 8 damage in one hit. They also gain 2 STR - 1 VIT - 1 INT - 1 WIS and their claws do +1 physical damage every level, so you can hit a level 2 Harenn for 7 dmg and they'll hit back for 3 dmg. Using the proper calculations you can do more damage than you'd expect :D
Sorry I was actually guessing on most of those attacks since I didnt really know the calculation hehe. I'll keep that in mind for my next post, ty =)

@w@' What did I miss? I'm not really in a different time zone I don't think I was just gaming most of the day light hours away. >w<

Remind me to NOT game during the day! DX' when I won't disturb the neighbors with my screams. I feel like I missed a lot. TwT'

@Arius LaVari Dont worry u really havent missed much, basically everyone is venturing out and have come across Harenn's which are lvl 1-2 dog sized Jackrabbit monsters lol now most of us are fighting I believe.

@Arius LaVari Dont worry u really havent missed much, basically everyone is venturing out and have come across Harenn's which are lvl 1-2 dog sized Jackrabbit monsters lol now most of us are fighting I believe.
I noticed; thank goodness. @.@' I'm working on my response now anyway~ Yay. owo' 'course I hadn't gotten to introduce my character yet....but eh oh well party menus that show other players names~! -no I am not complaining so don't think I am please-

Physical Damage done = (Your STR - Their VIT) + (Your physical attack - Their physical defense)
Magical Damage done = (Your INT - Their WIS) + (Your magical attack - Their Magical defense)

The minimum damage is zero, so 5 STR vs 10 VIT is zero damage not -5 damage.
Physical and Magical attack and defense are stats added by weapons and armour. Starting armour has no stats.

To get you started, I'll do some basic calculations for your character.

Blazentra Level 1 vs Harenn Level 1

Blazentra blasts Harenn with magic (8 INT - 2 WIS) + (0 m.atk - 0 m.def) = 6 dmg
Harenn swipes Blazentra with its claws (5 STR - 9 VIT) + (2 p.atk - 0 p.def) = 2 dmg
Blazentra uses Water Blast on Harenn 1.2*((8INT - 2 WIS) + (0 m.atk - 0 m.def)) = 7 dmg
Harenn dies
Since you seem smart about the damage calculation I'm gonna ask you a question. I think I did this right but I'm not sure...If I attack with Fireball; which does 130% of my characters attack, would it be 1.3 multiplied by (10 INT - 2 WIS) = 10.4 dmg

I assume the * is a multiplication sign; I want to make certain.

For magic, how is it used? Like in the game would they have to open up a menu panel and select it or would it just be like they always knew how to do it and just like... 'will' it to occur?
Vocal command, movement, concentration, etc. Something that feels ike it comes natural. like being an actual mage ;p

I'll reply tomorrow! Since I really should be in bed X-x
I stayed up til like, 2am to write that collab with CAS. Good fun ;p

Since you seem smart about the damage calculation I'm gonna ask you a question. I think I did this right but I'm not sure...If I attack with Fireball; which does 130% of my characters attack, would it be 1.3 multiplied by (10 INT - 2 WIS) = 10.4 dmg

I assume the * is a multiplication sign; I want to make certain.
Exactly, except decimals are rounded down so it's 10 damage.

He couldnt move super fast like a rogue due to his heavy armor limitations

Armours or classes (well, except Desperado) don't affect movement. Basically, unless you dedicate a skill to it, everyone has the same speed. This was done because... Well, speed is really difficult to get people on the same page on ;p

@Cheesecake, Hah, your character looks fun. Is it finished or are you still working on it?

Last edited:
Vocal command, movement, concentration, etc. Something that feels ike it comes natural. like being an actual mage ;p

I stayed up til like, 2am to write that collab with CAS. Good fun ;p

Exactly, except decimals are rounded down so it's 10 damage.

@Cheesecake, Hah, your character looks fun. Is it finished or are you still working on it?
Yay so I'm right! YES! -is extremely pleased with herself for doing the math right-

Also Kestrel if you don't mind if I use one of her skills I'm going to post the amount of MP used at the bottom of the post; so I can keep track easily.

On your phone? I'm kind of struck between awe and pity right now ;p

I'll look it over in a bit. Gotta take care of some stuff first (and the more I postpone that...)

The funny thing is the formatting wasn't the hard part. Looking for the right pictures in deviantArt was.

Status
Not open for further replies.