The demons kiss

Without a word he took her glass out of her hand and put it down on the table beside his glass. Then he started to move around the furnitures untill there were a nicely done cirkle in the room. After that he took her hand and led the way in the dance. It seemed like he had practised dancing a lot, but then she came to think about that he were pretty old to so he probably had picked up a lot during the years.

Stella tried to relax as he told her to do but he held her so close so it was impossible not to be nervous. But she tried to think about some questions even though at the moment she hadn't any she remembered wanting the answer on. She forced herself to make up questions even if it were stupid once just to stop focusing on not making mistakes as he had told her. "How did someone like you learn to dance?" She asked then noticing how wrong it sounded with 'someone like you' and fast continued "I mean you don't seem to be the most social person and I bet you wouldn't dance with Blake just to learn dancing."

Rilo kept a careful eye on her steps, even though he never once seemed to look down at her feet. She did hesitate a few times as if unsure where to go, but she never once stepped on his feet. Whenever she almost did, he would step aside and guide her gently through a turn. It was fairly simple, even though it had been many long years since he danced like this. He was so focused on how her body moved that her question came unexpectedly, and he chuckled a bit as she quickly rectified how she had phrased it. Her nervousness was actually sort of endearing, but he felt a tiny bit guilty at making her so anxious around him. At the same time, he was amused.

"Don't you know we demons have yearly balls?" he asked, giving her a completely serious expression before he laughed again and dipped her down low, pulling her up into a spin before pulling her back against him. "The world used to be a different place, where balls and dancing were the socially acceptable thing to do with your free time. If you couldn't dance, nobody bothered inviting you anywhere. Back then I lived out in the open, so keeping up a social life was important," he explained, shrugging slightly. "It was a good way to get a constant supply of food and appear to be normal, let me get inside people's lives to destroy them," he added, not wanting to add to her 'nice side' image she apparently had.

While they spinned around smootly at the floor she listened carefully to him, getting to know that they had yearly balls were pretty surprising, if they were such beasts as he wanted them to look like to her then a ball weren't a good way of showing how evil you were. The futher in to the story he came the more she liked the sound of it, but when the ending came she felt like she should have seen that comming.

"Well, what is a ball without food." She joked even though she knew how cruel it were. But they were demons and for them it was normal. "So how many ball's have you been on? As long as a demon lives you must have been on quite a lot." She said, actually she was more curious about his age than how many ball's he had been on, but it could give her some clue of how old he were without asking directly. It was a bit rude to ask about someones age after all, even though she had done it to Blake.

Blinking in surprise when she actually cracked a joke and didn't get all angry at his comment of food, he grinned and shook his head. "I'm shocked that you have a sense of humor," he admitted, keeping his arm firmly around her waist as they spun around the floor. The music slid from one song to the next seamlessly, and Rilo knew that Blake was responsible. Interfering wolf, he thought, but he was far from irritable about it. Stella seemed to actually be relaxing and not thinking about how much she loathed him for existing, so that was good. He realized his thoughts were leading him in an odd direction and quickly stopped them, focusing on the fact that he was speaking to somebody who would be his meal in a couple years.

"A few thousand, probably," he replied absently, shrugging a bit and dipping her down low again. While he had her down there, he flashed her a grin. "By the way, I was joking about the demon ball. Although that would be very interesting.." he said, now musing. He knew of several hundred demons who would love to attend such an event, especially if he had human guests who could serve as entertainment and snacks.. His mind wandered, but he was still mostly focused on Stella. "I've been around the block once or twice," he said, referring to his age as he shrugged again, dismissively.

She didn't think herself that it was that funny but she had already figured that he would. As he mentioned that it had been a few thousand of ball's she almost dropped her jaw in to the ground, how long had he been living? As he dipped her low again he gave her a grin, what was he up to this time? He told her how he had joked about the demon ball, that bastard had tricked her because she didn't know that much. But even if she for a slight second thought that the thought fast disappeard from her mind.

"You are old." A comment she hadn't intended to say but somehow slipped out anyways. "How long does demons live?" She asked, it couldn't be for an eternity could it? Everything had to die one day, even if they didn't get killed their bodies couldn't take it forever. But they were demons, maybe they could live forever like the stories says.

Rilo rolled his eyes and shook his head, giving her a mild glare. "I'm not old, you're just an infant," he corrected, then shrugged at her next question. "It depends on a lot of things. Different types of demons have different life expectancies. Some only stick around for the human life span, others for longer," he replied, effectively dodging what he knew she truly wanted - his own age. He paused in his steps a moment and cocked an eyebrow at her. "You're awfully curious about demons, even for a Marked one," he pointed out, then spun her away from him while he stood still.

As he spun her back in, he looked thoughtful. "If such a thing as a demon ball did exist, would you attend?" he asked curiously, gazing down at her and slowing his steps as the music changed to a single violin playing. He started making plans to strangle Blake later, wondering if the werewolf would be laughing the entire time. Probably. Damn kid.

He were right, she were really curious, but it wasn't really demons she was curious about, she was only curious about Rilo and he happened to be a demon. But demon's were very interesting, she knew the most that there were to know about humans but didn't know anything about demon's, it was more interesting to know about things you never had heard about before or had heard rumours about it that wasn't always correct. He spinned her out and then in again, the music slowed down and changed in to a single violin.

If there were such a thing as a demon ball would she want to go? Stella thought about it for a while, she didn't want to get killed just to go to a ball, but she had never been on a ball so it would be fun to go to one. Ofcourse however she answered it wouldn't change anything, they didn't excist so she couldn't go anyways. "I must confess that I would want to attend but I would probably not attend anyways because I wouldn't want to be killed. I'm not suicidical even though it looks like it sometimes." She said "But if I knew that I would be able to survive it then I would probably attend." she continued.

"So how old are you?" She asked not being able to hold the question any longer, she understood that he were old but she didn't know how old. Blake had been about a hundred years, Rilo should be older than that, but how much older? She looked at him curiously waiting for an answer.

"I wouldn't let you be killed, I already told you that. Saving my own meal for later, remember?" he reminded her quietly, turning in a slow circle with her for a moment before spinning her against him. When her back was to him, he spun her back the other way, again taking her in close and resuming their steps. "By the way, I don't think you appear suicidal. Seeking out the demon that cursed you with the intent on asking for a longer life is not something that a suicidal girl would do. I think you just make stupid, dangerous decisions. Like intentionally arguing with an already-angered demon," he said calmly, his pale green eyes nearly dancing with humor as he held back a smile.

"I am exactly fifty-two point six-two-five times older than you are," he replied swiftly, wondering if her mind could process that without writing it down. He hoped not, it would be much more amusing to watch her get frustrated about not being able to figure out how old he was. "Why does my age matter to you so much?" he asked curiously, reaching up with the hand that was around her lower back to tuck a piece of hair behind her ear that had escaped to nearly fall in her face. He replaced his hand around her without pause, gently guiding her through another turn and spin before pulling her back.

She had almost forgotten that she would become his meal one day, maybe it was easier for her to have a good time if she just pretended it wouldn't happen. Well she could pretend it wouldn't happen for two more years, she couldn't stop it anyways so it was just to make the best of the situation. What he said next was a bit hurtening, even though she knew that it was true. "Sorry about that, but I thought I were going to get killed so I thought I could as well say everything I wanted to say before I died." She told him a bit irritated but lit up her mood fast.

When he gave her a mathematic way of telling his age she got a bit disappointed, she would never be able to count that out without writing it down first. But it would become a lot more than a hundred. "Your age doesn't matter that much, it's just that nature made me curious when I was born. So I need answers on everything." She explained. "Why don't you just tell me, I can't count that high numbers without paper and pen." She then continued. She almost felt like doing the puppy eyes on him to, but wasn't sure if it would work on a demon. Maybe he would only laugh at her if she tried to do it.

Rilo smiled, for once not giving her a mocking or a teasing smile. It wasn't sarcastic or a con, it was simply a genuine expression that touched his lips for a brief few moments. "That's all you wanted to say before you died? Well, I can't say you wasted your time. If you're going to go out, go out swinging. You gave a few good hits," he said, wondering if she would take that incorrectly and get upset or not. He continued to spin her and twirl her, his eyes mostly on hers. Occasionally when she spun away from him, he would watch how the dress swirled around her legs and hugged her body. She truly was stunning, regardless of her age or the fact that she was an irritating human girl.

When she explained her curiosity, he found that he was actually interested in what she was saying. That bothered him, but his amusement returned as she asked him to just tell her since she couldn't figure it out without paper. He chuckled and dipped her down low, giving her a small grin. "Eight hundred and fourty two. Soon to be fourty three, actually, in about a month," he informed her, then pulled her back up against him. He paused a moment, then suddenly moved his hand away from her lower back and tipped her chin up with a gentle touch. Without thinking, he leaned down and pressed his lips to hers in a soft kiss.

She wasn't certain if he made fun of her or praised her. She decided to just pretend he didn't say anything and kept being swirled around on the floor. Stella almost lost her jaw when he told her that he were over eighthundred years, that was about eight times more than what a normal human lived. She shoke her head to get away the shock but soon a new shock came. Rilo paused for a second and then moved his hand up to her chin, just as she were going to ask what he was doing she got her answer.

Rilo suddenly leaned down and kissed her, first she were to shocked to move away but then she got a hold of herself and pushed away from him. "What are you doing?" She asked him shocked, not bothered about the kiss itself but that she actually had for a slight second liked the kiss. Stella forced herself to get that thought away from her mind, she didn't like the kiss, she had just gotten delusional. Her face was bright red and she heard her heart beating faster than it should. Why had he kissed her all of a sudden?

Gazing at her in silence when she pushed away, he didn't react at first when she questioned him. Honestly, he had no idea and he was incredibly frustrated with this entire situation. Now she was confused just like he was, and she wanted answers. He shrugged carelessly, deciding to go with the same thing as usual. Shut off his emotions and resort to cruel indifference. "Nothing important," he muttered, turning away from her and walking back to the counter. He picked up his glass and swallowed the remaining champagne, then turned and glanced at her.

"Go get your stuff together so I can take you home without you accusing me of theft or something," he said with an air of disinterest, putting the glasses and bottle away.

Nothing important He said, nothing important. Her first kiss got taken of a demon and it was nothing important to him. There she had for a slight second actually thought that it ment something when he kissed her but then it was nothing important. That jerk of a demon, insensitive bastard. Stella were angry again, she couldn't believe that he would kiss her just to tell her that it wasn't anything important. Then why did he do it? On impulse?

As he put down the glass again she stepped closer to him and slapped him. She didn't care if he were a demon and could kill her, that behaviour of his was so annoying. "You jerk, taking my first kiss and then telling me it wasn't anything important. You were right you are a heartless bastard without a nice side." She screamed at him and turned around crossing her arms over her chest. "I won't leave before I had said goodbye to Blake." She continued irritated. How could he do such a thing to a sixteen year old girl, that eighthundred year old bastard.

Rilo froze as her hand connected with his cheek. It would have been easy to move faster than she did and break her wrist, or perhaps snap her arm into pieces and hurl her body against the far wall. He knew it would take barely any effort at all to backhand her so hard that she fell to the floor, but he didn't. Instead, he simply turned his head to look at her with a cocked eyebrow. She had courage, he had to give her that. Just the night before she had been shaking with fear because he was threatening her life, and now she dared to strike him. It fascinated him, and he said absolutely nothing as she screamed at him.

So now he was a heartless thief. Well, honestly, he had to admit that he didn't care. First kisses weren't as big a deal as teenage girls always made them out to be - in a few years, if he had been an unremarkable human, she would have forgotten who it even was. Of course, her case was a little different since in a few years she wouldn't be remembering anything, but still. He watched her turn her back to him, which was curious. Did she not realize how open she was leaving herself? He could stab her in the back and she wouldn't even have time to scream. Watching her closely with a hidden grin on his lips, he simply listened as she continued to deny him, demanding to see Blake again before she left. So, she had made more of a connection with the werewolf than he thought. Well, Blake was pleasant, so that was hardly surprising.

He considered his options. Killing her was an option but not one he liked, so he dismissed it out of hand. There was always the option of taking her home anyway, it's not like she could resist and she had no way of getting back here, especially since she had no real idea where they were other than a volcano somewhere. The last option would be to give in to her irritability and get Blake back here for a quick farewell before dumping her off back home. None of those things sounded like what he wanted. He ran his eyes over the back of her slender form as he thought, pondering whether or not it would be wise to do what he wanted. Probably not. Did that matter? Not really.

Reaching for her after stepping to the side, he picked her up by her hips and set her on the counter, then stood in front of her with a hand on either side of her legs. Now she would be basically forced to look at him, unless she wanted to cramp her neck by twisting all around. "Just out of curiosity," he said, amusement dancing in his eyes as he looked at her calmly. "Would you have been this angry if I had answered you differently and not told you that it wasn't important?" he continued on, wondering what she would say or if she would even answer him.

Stella had expected him to get angry when she started to think rationally again, she expected him to go insane as the other day, maybe he would force her home again just to get rid of her. She was certain that he would get angry and show it within some seconds after she had stopped talking. Maybe it would make him more angry that she had turned her back on him, she was expecting the worst and there was no one there to help her when the worst would happen. But she didn't feel any regrett from hitting him, it was the best thing she had done even though it would give her a lot of trouble in just a second or two.

She didn't really know why she cared about that he had taken her first kiss, she wasn't the kind of person that thought that such a thing were important. A kiss didn't matter at all for her. But it still bothered her that he had told her that it didn't mean anything. It shouldn't bother her that much, so why did it?

Stella heard how Rilo stepped to the side and then felt how he picked her up and put her on the counter. The amusement showed clearly in his eyes, it irritated her even more. This was just some stupid game for him, he didn't care at all about her. As long as he got some entertainment he wouldn't care what happened to her. One part of her almost forced her to think like that while the other part of her tried to convince her that it wasn't like that at all. Why did she even think about that? She could go home as fast as Blake came back and then she wouldn't need to meet him before two years had gone. Somehow it hurt more to think that she wouldn't see him again instead of making her feel happy about it.

He asked her if she would have been as angry if he had told her another reason for why he had kissed her. A blush spread over her face, why was he interested in knowing that. "Maybe I wouldn't" She mumbled shutting her eyes closed so she wouldn't need to look at him. That old bastard just wanted to make fun of her, wanted to scare her, she should just ignore him instead of trying to discuss with him every time. After all it had ended with them fighting everytime so far.

With her blush came the realization that he had asked exactly the right question. She had enjoyed the kiss, as much as she didn't want to admit it. Why else would she have not pushed him away immediately when he did it? And why would she have been so upset? She was a completely unreasonable human, but she didn't seem like one of those girls who got all worked up over something so stupid.. Unless she had a reason. He watched her now as she closed her eyes after admitting that she 'maybe' wouldn't have been as upset if he had answered her differently. The only missing piece now was to figure out what she had wanted him to say.

He hesitated, having never been in a position like this before. Never had he thought the things he was thinking now, and he wasn't really sure how he was supposed to act. Finally he straightened up and removed his hands from the counter. "Stay here," he said, then turned and walked to his room. He went over to his desk and picked up the wooden figurine that he had carved, then carried it back out to where he had left her. Standing in front of her once more, he offered it to her, keeping his expression carefully neutral as he watched her for a reaction.

It was about seven inches tall and four inches wide, carved of a dark wood that was streaked through with a lighter honey color. The natural grain of the wood made it look like swirls danced over the surface, and there was a faint shine since he had polished and sealed it. On one side, there was a man, unmistakably himself. He had one foot slightly behind the other, his hand on the hip of the other figure. Of course the other figure was herself, carved to perfection in the dress she now wore. He had carved her deep in a dip, her back arched and hair falling back as she looked up at him.

She waited for his reaction but she couldn't make herself look at him. That devil is probably grinning like a fool right now she thought keeping her eyes closed. There was no point to what he was doing as far as she could see, so why did he keep doing these things? She couldn't understand him at all. Why couldn't Blake get back there so she could talk to him and then leave? A sting of pain hit her heart, she didn't really want to leave, even though Rilo made her feel confused and teased her she didn't want to leave. She would probably try to make up excuse after excuse so that she could keep staying as long as possible. This thought were far back in her mind and she tried to ignore them, she wanted to get out of there as fast as possible, ofcourse she wanted that. But she had to say goodbye to Blake, that was all.

Suddenly Rilo removed his hands and told her to stay there before walking out of the room, what was he going to do? He hadn't continued to tease her or asked her further about it. That made her glad but it felt weird that he suddenly left like that, what was he up to? He soon come back and reached something to her, she looked up at him a bit confused and took the thing he was holding without having seen what it was before then.

When the carved wood piece were in her hand she looked down at it, under normal cercumstances she would have been impressed because of the details in the carving, but that wasn't what took her attention. The wood piece were a carving of Rilo and her, her face that almost had lost all the red colour of the blush became once again red even though it wasn't as bad as before. She had met him the day before and he had already carved that, on top of that he couldn't have known before this day that she were going to wear that dress which meant that he had done that this day. It almost felt like a photography, the details were perfect, but that still didn't take her attention at all.

It took a while before she noticed that her jaw were hanging half open and she fast closed it, he couldn't have done this just to get a laugh when he saw her reaction on it, it looked like to much work behind it. But he were a demon so who knew what he was thinking. "Why... " She couldn't say the whole sentence, she didn't really know what she wanted to ask. Why did you carve this of us? Why are you confusing me like this? Why, why, why. She could think about at least fifty why or what sentences that she wanted to ask him in this moment but she didn't know how to get out of single on of them. This was more confusing than the kiss that apparently didn't mean anything to him.

Rilo could easily see the emotions play across her beautiful features. At first she was surprised at what she was holding. He wondered what she had expected. A bomb, perhaps? Next she was stunned by it. That was a nice little boost to his ego, but even he had to admit that it had come out better than he had expected. It had been a really long time since he had carved anything, but apparently his skill hadn't rusted much. He glanced down at the figure, his pale green eyes taking in how the swirls of the dress clung to her legs just as he had watched them do in reality just minutes before. The next thing he saw on her face was something he had expected. Confusion. She only said one word, and he honestly wasn't sure which 'why' she wanted an answer to. So, he decided to answer all the ones he could think of.

"Because I wanted to. Because I knew you would agree to dance with me today. Because that's a lie and I was actually just hoping that you would. Because maybe you're right about more than you realize. Because I want to ask you to stay instead of going back home to your mother where you belong. Because it wasn't nothing important. Because I have no idea what to say around you," he said, speaking fairly quickly but also quietly as he watched her.

He knew that he had gone way too far to start taking things back now. If he lashed out again he would only destroy what he had started to build a little bit. What in the world was he supposed to do now? All he had done was mock her and threaten her and everything else. Not exactly a good start to getting her to not despise him. He finally realized that he knew exactly what he wanted to do. If she wanted to hit him, fine, but he didn't care. At this point she would either start yelling again and demand to go home, which would tell him that he should stop acting like an idiot and go back to how he had been before. Or, she'd react differently. He simply smiled at her and tipped her chin up again, kissing her once more.

He started to talk fast and quetly and she tried to hear what he said but sometimes things disappeard, but she caught the most important of the thing he told her. Because I want you to stay. She heard more than just that line but that was the only one she actually remembered because she put away the others from her memory. He wanted her to stay? But she couldn't stay, she would only stay untill Blake came back, she had already decided that. But deep in her heart she wanted to stay. Her thoughts got blurred in to eachother and she didn't really know what she wanted anymore, did she want to leave or did she want to stay?

She felt a hand touching her chin and tipped it up, then Rilo kissed her. The carving fell out of her hand as she lost the grip of it, it wasn't out of surprise but her arms suddenly go bussy doing something else. One part of her mind screamed to push him away, she didn't want to be there, she should get out of there. The other part told her to stop thinking about what she should do and instead do what she wanted to do. What did she want to do? Even though she didn't know completely, her body was certain of what it wanted. Her right arm went up to his neck while she put the other one on her chest, while her lips returned the kiss.

She tried to understand what she thought she were doing but she couldn't give herself an answer on that question. But it didn't matter, her mind were clouded at the moment, even though the confussion still were there she couldn't think about it at the moment. The only thing she thought about, the only thing she noticed were that her heart didn't hurt anymore.

He had rather expected her to push him away again, or pull back and yell, or something. When she did none of those things, he was stunned. The feel of his arm around him and her lips moving against his made him smile even more. He put his hands on her hips and pulled her closer against him, kissing her more. After a minute or so, he gently broke the kiss and just stared at her breathlessly. He was in completely uncharted waters here, what was he supposed to do or say? Everything that came to mind was sarcastic and maybe even a bit cruel. He knew that he shouldn't say things like that, especially right now, but he wasn't sure what else to do.

Just then, he realized that they weren't exactly alone. Blake was standing in the doorway of the living room, and judging by the fact that he looked like he was about to have a seizure and a heart attack all rolled into one, he had seen what just happened. Rilo drew back from Stella and picked up the carving, setting it on the counter next to her. He walked over to Blake and leaned down, whispering something nearly silently before straightening up and walking down the hallway. Blake blinked several times and cleared his throat, finally relaxing a bit and walking over to Stella.

"So.. uh.. Rilo said that you wanted to talk to me?" he finally managed, sounding like he was going to faint at any moment.