The Demon Hunters

Kyy sighed. "If you want." He put his hands in his pocket and continued walking

It would be quite the understatement if Inobi said he was surprised, he was well beyond that, he was shocked that everyone seemed on board. It was like The Demon Hunters were reignited and whole again. He hasn't seen such a range of excitement and interest in ages. He wasn't in tears per say, but his face became red as a smile lifted his cheeks high. They actually believed in him after all his stubbornness and lone wolf shenanigans, they still listened to him, they still had faith and trust in his being. He was blown away by what he just witnessed, actual team work. After Neil mentioned about a meeting, he shot a glance at Yumeko once she decided who she wanted to accompany on this dangerous task and his eyes became soiled in tiny droplets of moisture. Still no tears came out, but he was damn close. Before the meeting was called to order, he spoke.

"I want Yumeko to go with me. At all costs. Before we call this meeting, I want that to be clear, and to be known. She stays with me. No questions asked."

Inobi has never been so serious about anything in his life before. His answer was not to be questioned, she made her decision, and he made his. He was going to protect this girl at all costs. She meant too much to him in his aged life. If something were to come of her, he'd never forgive himself. She was going to be protected, and if that meant he had to take his own life in the war path of a demon he will gladly lay down his life for her. She had too much left to experience as a Demon Hunter to be let out of his sight, he needed to make sure she was around for years to come. The older Inobi gets, the more he regrets not mentoring and nurturing her sooner. Whether she liked it or not, she was going to be one of the greatest Demon Hunters any demon or human would ever know. She didn't realize it now, but she has more power and talent than she could ever hope to imagine. Inobi was one of the few that knew it. And he must keep such a treasure safe at all times.

Esmeralda ate her microwaveable macaroni as everything unfolded before her light green eyes, from the open thoughts of hunger and the usual chit-chat only to stop as she gagged when Rayth, a familiar hunter, brought in a girl who had been wounded severely. The girl was obviously a victim of a demon attack. A strong one. She set aside the half finished box of pasta and walked outside, trying not to puke. It wasn't exactly a rare thing to find, but just like the shortage of missions, there was a shortage of victims and seeing the girl was as fresh as if she was a newbie.

"Things are happening, Isadora.." Esme said to herself after a couple of gasps of breath.

"Heya Esme~" Corvus grinned as he appeared out of nowhere, his violet colored eyes glowing like that of a cat. Esme gasped at the sudden appearance, trying her best to hide her jerk of fear. Corvus chuckled before stepping quickly behind the older lady on his light feet. He waited for her to turn around before continuing. "Did Niel break your heart or something?" Corvus whispered, teasingly looking behind him as if Niel was actually near.

Esme blushed before shoving him slightly. Her arms crossed and she pouted childishly, hoping that the moon light was too dim for the seeker to see it. The eighteen year old laughed out loud and took a step back on his heel, he was used to teasing the more or less socially awkward guardian and this time was no exception.

"Corvus...your patrol doesn't end until about two hours from now. What are you doing here?" Esmeralda spoke, her voice taking the tone of a superior. She even took the extra measures to put her hands on her hip. Corvus gave her a innocent look before putting his hands in the air.

"Jeez. Esme you don't gotta be so strict. I got one of the newer guys to cover me." Corvus said with a cunning smile that Esmeralda saw him using often.

"To cover for you? Or to do his shift?" Esme replied, her stance not breaking as any sign of weakness would lead to Corvus thinking he has won this discussion.

"Heh. Doesn't really matter any more. Its water under the bridge Es." Corvus spoke, the words slipping gracefully off of his sharp tongue. Before waiting to hear the now annoyed ladies response he turned and entered through the front door. From the beginning of the hallway the seeker could see the commotion in the dinner hall.

"Damn. That's nasty looking." Corvus spoke out loud. His words coming off as rude and unconsiderate. When some of the hunters glanced at him with looks he bent down to the girl,

"Not you madam, your wounds. Your actually somewhat attractive, well, you know after you get hea-"

"Corvus. Shut up." Esmeralda interuppted, as she appeared behind him. Corvus turned back and his grin faded slowly. He turned back to the wounded and then patted her head, muttering sorry before standing up from his crouched position. He looked across the room at the other hunters that resided there.

"I got out ea-"

"Let's just discuss the teams already." Esme interrupted once again, returning the glare that had formed on Corvus' eyes

"I'll be accompanying Niel as expected from a guard" Esme continued after turning back at the group trying to ignore the small nudge that Corvus gestured

Tenya sat back as things began to unfold right in front of her. As Kyysukara turned to exit the room and leave Tenya called after him. "I want chicken in whatever you get!" She had a thing for anything chicken and anything sweet. She hoped he had heard her, but when Rayth went to follow after him she knew that she would get what she wanted. Rayth and her had become friends and he knew her well enough to know her affinity for certain foods and would most likely make sure she got something that she liked. Quickly she turned her attention back to the rest of the group as they began to talk once more.

Inobi quickly laid his claim to Yumeko and somehow Tenya wasn't surprised. Inobi had always liked to watch after Yumeko and personally Tenya was glad he had. Yumeko was always so bright and cheerful and it really would be a shame if anything happened to her.

Suddenly Tenyas attention was yanked away from everybody else as she noticed Esmerelda going out the back door. Only a moment she had been feasting on her microwavable mac and cheese and then she simply walked out. Curiously Tenya watched as she exited and then came back in a few minutes later, this time with Corvus in tow. When she came back in Esme seemed in a hurry to get teams together and automatically attached herself to Corvus' team. That was to be expected and she didn't think anybody would be surprised by any of these turns of events. Feeling a yawn building Tenya quickly covered her mouth. She hadn't gotten back in until late last night as she had been visiting Bladen in the hospital. His condition continued to slowly deteriorate and Tenya let her thoughts drift to her ailing twin brother. As much as Tenya tried to play the coy and playful part, she was hurting deep inside as she watched her brother die, trying to hide her thoughts Tenya moved away from the large group to a corner and slid down the wall until she was seated on the floor. She would just let things play out, she wasn't really needed anyways.

A large grin spread over Yumeko's face when she heard that Inobi wanted her on his team. However, she seemed to be oblivious as to how much she had moved him; she was much too filled with excitement to notice. "Ha, ha!" she laughed with glee. She really wanted to be on Inobi's team since he was an older and more experienced hunter. She would be bound to meet some demons if she was on a mission with him. "See, Neil, it's decided," she said with a nod and a triumphant look upon her face.

Niel sighed but smiled. It was probably best that she went with Inobi. He wasn't sure if anyone else would be able to handle her energy. Also, since Inobi was older she respected him a lot more than the other Hunters and would be more likely to listen to orders, at least that's what he hoped. Now though, he had to figure out the rest of the teams.

Neil had already been planning for this day for a while. He had noticed the strange patterns that had been happening recently and had been preparing for when he would have to take action. It was actually one of the reasons why he hadn't been getting much sleep. For the past week or so he had been formulating plans for future missions and trying to decide on what members would go on these missions. Now was the time to decide on who these members would be. However, first, they needed to eat.

"Yes, Esme, you and I will be going together. However, before the rest of the teams are decided and the missions are discussed I want us to eat," he said, turning to Esmeralda and then the rest of the group.

"I'll go make some rice then!" Yumeko shouted before bolting into the kitchen. Only seconds later though, she poked her head out from the kitchen and shouted to Kyy and Rayth who were just heading out the door, "Hey! Make sure you get lots of healthy food! I'm making rice so get some good stuff that can go on it." She then flexed her right bicep, which was fairly defined, but still not that large before continuing, "We need to be nice and strong for tomorrow after all." Now finished with her speech, she waved to them happily goodbye and then disappeared back into the kitchen.

About two hour or so later, food was ready. Yumeko dashed to and from the kitchen with hot steaming plates of rice, vegetables, and meat that had been made up from the groceries that had been bought and the rice that had been in the kitchen. She had dragged a few other Hunters into helping her make it earlier so that it could be ready on time, though a few had volunteered as well.

"Eat!" she commanded, while imitating the voice of a male army general.

Soon enough, the meal was done and it was time for the meeting to begin. Sitting at the end of the table, Neil pulled out some papers, fixed his glasses, and cleared his throat before finally beginning his speech.

"Alright everyone, as I said before, everyone is going to be divided into groups. I have three missions, one for each of the groups. The first group is going to be visiting all of the shrines and temples in the area. Inobi, I want you to be the leader of this group as you can communicate the easiest with the spirits. You are going to be asking the Kami spirits if they have seen any unusual activity. Also, there is a chance that some of the lesser ones, the ones being at the shrines, may have been intimidated or tempted by the demons so they may be less willing to give information. Some may even be hiding demons within their shrines, so I want you to be careful."

Neil then moved onto the next group's mission.

"Ok, now for the second group, you are going to be traveling into downtown Kyoto to observe for any unusual activity, and also to 'slay' any demons if you find any. However, if you can, I would like you to get information from any spirits or demons you see. Corvus, you often go on patrol in those areas. I want you to help lead the other Hunters around the area. Also, as is the same with Inobi, you are able to detect the spirits and demons easier. Unless of course you feel you can't handle it. I would prefer that you did though, as long as you can act maturely."

Now, Neil had to only go over the last mission.

"Alright, now for the last mission. I will be leading this group, and we will be taking upon a fairly tricky mission. We are going to be heading into the spirit realm to find the source of what is causing the demons to act so strangely. I have a feeling that there is someone there who is leading these demons. However, we are not trying to confront them, we are only trying to find out who it is. Once we know, we will be able to gather a larger team of Hunters to go into the spirit realm, though that is only if my predictions are correct."

Neil then looked around the room to see what the reactions of the Hunters were. "If anyone wants to be on a specific team or is not satisfied with their leadership position please speak up now," he added.

Yumeko looked like she was about to explode. Here eyes were wide with excitement and her mouth curved into a silly grin, looking to be holding back a potential scream or squeal of joy. However, she couldn't hold back her energy. She jumped from her seat and began dancing around the room. "Well, I already know what group I'm going in," she practically sang. Finally, she was getting a real mission. All of the other missions she had gone on were generally just patrols or just beating down some bothersome mischievous demons. This mission sounded exciting, or at least it must be because Inobi was on it. After all, Inobi always had the most exciting missions, at least in her eyes.

Sitting at the other end of the table, just as she always liked, Iselia listened to Neil as she casually relaxed in her chair with a smile on her face. Her eyes glistened enthusiastically as he gave out instructions and information for the other groups. When he started instructing what the group she was in would be doing, Iselia's whole demeanor suddenly changed. She narrowed her eyes, thinking to herself quietly. Iselia has spent plenty of time in the spirit realm for separate missions, speaking with many spirits every now and then. She was on good terms with them the last time she had seen them but then again, you can never tell with those beings. After all, she was still a mortal in their eyes. Iselia's smile disappeared and was quickly absorbed with her thoughts. She knew it will come off as suspicious when they enter the realm. Even though it was a small group, hunters going around and asking questions, didn't look really good for them and they may end up alerting the other side of their intentions. "Neil," Iselia quietly started to say before raising her voice a little more so he can hear her, "I'm a bit concerned. Won't we make the spirits and possibly the demons, suspicious of our intentions if there's so many of us going into the spirit realm all at once and asking questions?" She crossed her arms, with a worried and contemplative look. There was something else. She stared at Neil, her brows furrowed. With a slight quiver in her voice, she said, "What if they're waiting for us on the other side? What if we're walking into a trap, doing exactly what they expect us to do?" For once, Iselia was serious and pretty apprehensive with this mission. Things were happening a bit too fast, as if something was pushing them into making drastic moves. They couldn't afford to go through with this blindly without looking at all other possible outcomes. Deepening further into her thoughts, she fell silent, starting to wonder what will happen.

Inobi saw Yumeko's excitement as expected and smiled. Such innocence of someone her age was refreshing to see in Inobi's eyes. A young starlet who is uncorrupted by these blood thirsty demons and these dark and treacherous missions only to later on be a witness and potential victim to the dangers that lurk beyond. Inobi couldn't help but feel he may have made a mistake, to show such a young spirit an entirely new dangerous world of every possible evil thing imaginable, he was now feeling something he hasn't felt since the day his mother killed herself, a lingering fear. His face made a thinking wince as he stared blankly at the ground. He couldn't find any other way to keep Yumeko safe than if he took her in like he did. There was no other choices, no other options, this was war, and this was going to happen regardless of anything else. Yumeko was going to be subjected to a whole new lifestyle beyond his control, and he was just going to have to accept this and move on. He gestured to Yumeko.

"Easy does it kid. You're gonna use up all your energy before we even leave the door with all that bouncin around."

He admired her playful ingenuity and the joyful expressions upon her face. He remembered being her back in the day, excited for his first big mission, ready to take on anything and be surrounded by big bad Demon Hunters to guide him. If only he hadn't witnessed his mentors in the past be slaughtered in front of his eyes after he barely escaped a close call with a king demon. He had a feeling that same demon that killed his mentors and trainers was still out there, helping provoke this inevitable war. It took alot for him to get passed that dark time as well, but he did, and he promised himself he was going to train himself for survival and hone his skills at all costs. Not only to keep him safe and protected, but to keep his colleagues and this company safe as well. That would be a big reason why he often tried to take on the more dangerous missions himself. Inobi responded to Neil's direction and nodded.

"Those spirits cannot be trusted. You can bet I'll get information out of them one way or the other Neil. This will be a good mission for you Yumeko, the art of interrogation is incredibly important when it comes to demons. Most of the time they can be a hassle to make talk."

Inobi could still tell Yumeko had a shining excitement for her mission, and appreciated such admiration about her. But he couldn't help overhear Iselia's concerns and spoke to them without sounding too harsh or overbearing to her needs.

"That's why each group is lead by experienced hunters Iselia. I understand your concerns sweetheart, but we have little to lead off of and interrogation and investigation is part of the process, and a big part of what we all do. It's either wait around and watch more of us get torn up at our door step, or take action while their still planning. They won't be stupid and dare attack all of us right now, their still putting pieces together on how to attack, I'm sure of it. And we can all use discretion and be careful with our words when it comes to talking to demons, the important thing is to always stick together and remember to choose our actions carefully. We don't want a war to start too soon, now. I hope you can empathize with this Neil."

Inobi knew the question was directed to Neil, but he felt like the answer was simple enough. Inobi was always thinking of safety first and the greater good of the hunters, the leaders of each group needed to make the right choices and not push too hard on the demons just yet. Caution was necessary in order to unwrap their plans. He knew how to fight, and he knew how to be tactful, but if he could prevent violence and a fight he would, otherwise a wrong impression may be brought up and more demons than initially wanted may attack any of the groups if the threat and incentive is immediate.

Kyy rose his hand. "May I go in group one?" He yawned, covering it so as not to be rude.

As no one had asked her not to smoke, she lit the cig up as soon as Tenya wouldn't be in the line of fire. Aruna had even taken a seat at the table. Whether or not she liked it, she was involved now. Aruna was perfectly silent during the group discussion. A lot of ideas and concerns were being passed back and forth. Things were beginning to make sense. Everything her grandfather had trained her for, all that effort he put into her upbringing. Her head dropped silently as memories of those precious days flooded her mind. Yousuke's voice filled her head and it was all she could hear and all she could see was her grandfather's face, always so stern. He had had the face of a warrior. Something, she didn't know what, pulled her back to the present. Reality hit her hard and she decided to pipe in.
"I know downtown Kyoto like the back of my hand, I've been investigating those streets for some time now." The tanned girl let out a puff of smoke, "I'm no good at slaying demons, but I can track tears in our dimensions and open gates."

The food hit his stomach with the weight of rock; it had been nearly two days since he had an efficient meal. It was good, and would taste even better with some hot sake. The list of missions was intriguing, and Rayth knew that tingling pull of adventure. Never before had he traversed this Spirit Realm and he'd be lying if he said he wasn't interested. To see what that world looked like was something he did not want to miss. However, the mission weren't the only interesting part of the conversation. The strategic leadership skills that both Neil and Inobi expressed were not yet at war. They were working together rather well, but how long could they keep it up? Maybe Rayth was being skeptical of their efforts, but it was amusing to think about.
"You about to zonk out there, Kyy?" Rayth teased the boy before giving Neil his full attention, "Count me in on going to the Spirit Realm." He had to see this place. What Rayth didn't know, something forgotten and gone with the curse of demonic magic was his memories of the Spirit Realm: this wouldn't truly be his first time there.