WORLDBUILDING The Deep- Island Dump

noodle

Accidental Pyromaniac
Original poster
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Group Roleplays, One on One Roleplays, Private Convo Roleplays
Posting Speed
Several Posts a Day, A Few Posts A Day, One Post a Day, A Few Posts a Week, One Post a Week
My Usual Online Time
Most of the time MST
Writing Levels
Adept, Advanced, Adaptable
Genders You Prefer Playing
Male, Female, Primarily Prefer Female
Playing Style- Passive or Aggressive
Depends on the plot, really. Tend to be Aggressive.
Favorite Genres
Mideval Fantasy (LOW fantasy), SciFi, Modern
Genre You DON'T Like
I'm up for mostly anything. But I don't really like voodo and lots of magic. Don't get me wrong, I like fantasy and dragons and stuff....just not the magic part. That's weird to me. And no demons.

the island

An index of the various biomes of the island and and all its inhabitants- animal and plant alike. They may prove friend or foe to the survivors. It would be wise for the explorer to read all available information on a species before approaching it.

Available scans, transmitted from the dying core of the Moonbeam, may not be wholly accurate. It is unknown if the jittery and scattered scans have missed anything- caution is still advised when exploring, even on land.

Please do not post in this thread.

The spoiler below contains a table of contents for ease of navigation.

Additional Information

Land Information
The Island
Rendezvous Valley
Temperate Forest
Rainforest
Swamp
Desert
Mountainside
Creatures
Nasea

Last edited:

noodle

Accidental Pyromaniac
Original poster
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
Several Posts a Day, A Few Posts A Day, One Post a Day, A Few Posts a Week, One Post a Week
My Usual Online Time
Most of the time MST
Writing Levels
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
I'm up for mostly anything. But I don't really like voodo and lots of magic. Don't get me wrong, I like fantasy and dragons and stuff....just not the magic part. That's weird to me. And no demons.
Island
Information​

The island is the only land mass for miles- and it's pitifully small compared to the continents on Earth. The land is about the size of Texas, with a single huge mountain and its foothills taking up the north side. On the south is an almost impassable desert, and in between the two titans lay a few different biomes that are no more welcoming than the impossibly hot desert and the frozen mountain.

The only relatively safe spot is in the middle of the island, a small grassy valley located on the east of the thin strip of land connecting the mountain and desert. To its south, between the valley and the desert, is a temperate forest- a thin line of pines and deciduous trees that eventually break into a rainforest when traveling to the southwest. To the west of the valley is a vast swamp, the lake residing between it and the temperate forest providing the ground with its water. And to the north/northwest is simply the rocky cliffsides of the massive mountain, the mottled rock only ever interrupted with the occasional cave. Finally, to the east, is the bay- an expanse of water holding horrors beyond the imagination.

Several different species of animal and plant live on the planet, but their diversity (and their fear factor) is nothing compared to what the ocean holds.

noodle

Accidental Pyromaniac
Original poster
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Most of the time MST
Writing Levels
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
Rendezvous Valley
Information​

Located in the middle of the island to the east and residing between several different biomes, the valley is a (relatively) safe spot- a rare commodity for survivors. Small animals use the hilly grassland as their hiding place from the horrors surrounding the valley, and a few large herbivores wander the plains. Any predators that dare slink from their hiding places during the day are in plain sight for miles around.

Weaknesses

The terrain is parched and rough, as the rain rarely moves over the valley. Therefore, farming is hard and few edible plants grow naturally. The small, edible creatures are fast and hard to catch, and the larger herbivores are almost as dangerous as what lurks in the forests and swamps. Predators, if desperate or curious enough, will still wander from the surrounding biomes. The only nearby fresh water is a small stream that runs from the temperate forest from the south into the ocean. It is still advised to filter this water.

The valley has a wacky climate, as it is pinned between a frozen mountain, the vast expanse of the ocean, and an impassable desert. Because of its awkward placement, the wind and the weather changes on a dime. Caution is advised when venturing away from camp.

Last edited:

noodle

Accidental Pyromaniac
Original poster
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Most of the time MST
Writing Levels
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
Temperate Forest
Information​

Located on the southeast side of the island, this temperate forest is a brief respite to the flucuating weather of the valley. The trees are tall and thick-trunked, and provide high-quality wood for fire- but low-quality for building. The trees are not too thick, and it would be difficult to get lost. Several mid-sized creatures roam the forest, and many of them are prey-like animals.

A few small streams and rivers run through the forest on their way toward the sea, and there are even a couple of small waterfalls. The weather in the forest is much calmer than the weather in the valley, as the trees block the cold wind and shield from the hot sun.
Weaknesses​

While prey animals are the usual wanderers of this forest, several predators also call it home. It can be hard to see them through the trees, and their feet are near-silent on the ground. Caution is advised when entering the forest- stick together as much as possible.

There are more fresh water sources in the forest, however, some have been contaminated from the nearby swamp. Be sure to filter ALL water found anywhere on the planet's surface.

The forest is not a good place for growing food- few edible plants grow, and those that do are ones that can be easily found in the valley. The herbivores that wander the forest are mid-sized but quick, and can be dangerous if provoked. Many creatures in this biome travel in packs- if you see one, keep your eyes open for more.

Last edited:

noodle

Accidental Pyromaniac
Original poster
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Most of the time MST
Writing Levels
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
Rainforest
Information​

The rainforest is home to a plethora of animal and plant life- prey and predator, edible and poisonous alike. Located on the west/southwest coast of the island far from either large biome, it offers protection from both the cold of the mountain and the heat of the desert. The trees are thick and very difficult to cut down, but hold the best wood for building, and there are good water sources hidden in the thick vegetation.

Fruit is abundant, and so are many slower-moving prey animals. The soil is rich in minerals, and the weather is perfect for growing several kinds of fruit and vegetable- if you can find a spot flat enough to plant anything.

Weaknesses

Getting lost is a very real danger in this rainforest- heavy fog often hangs low in the narrow pathways, and the trees often look the same. Beware of straying into it anytime- and never attempt to venture in at night.

Poisonous plants can be hard to detect from edible, and some of the leaves themselves can make a human sick should they touch them. Huge predators move swiftly and silently through the thick underbrush, and you never really know where they are until they're right on top of you.

As always, remember to travel in groups (here, preferably in groups of more than two) and to filter any water you find. Try to travel in an armored vehicle when possible. Surviving on an alien planet is not a game.

Last edited:

noodle

Accidental Pyromaniac
Original poster
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Most of the time MST
Writing Levels
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
Swamp
Information​

The swamp is located at the western/southwestern base of the mountain, nestled between it, the valley, and the forests. It's wet and cold, as the heat of the desert does not reach it. The trees are good for burning, and there are good mineral deposits in the muddy ground. There are a few prey species that live in it, most of them fish or bird-like creatures.

The several vines and reeds that grow can be used to make ropes, and the sticky sap that resides in some of the plants is useful for adhesive purposes.

Weaknesses

While the trees are good for burning, they don't have much use otherwise, as the wood is too porous for construction and too weak to be of any use with weapon making or farming. And the water...undrinkable. Even filtering it would likely leave it contaminated. The predators far outweigh the prey, and they are near silent, even in the squelching mud.

Parts of it can be much deeper than others, and it's hard to tell what is shallow and what is not. Attempt to stay near the trees when at all possible.

The stench that permeates the vicinity is overwhelming and could cause sickness should one inhale too much of it. It is thick, hard to navigate, and almost always in shadow- either from the mountain, or from the fog that hangs over its cold, wet ground. Protective clothing is strongly advised, and traveling in groups is a necessity.

Last edited:

noodle

Accidental Pyromaniac
Original poster
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Most of the time MST
Writing Levels
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
Desert
Information​

The desert is a massive, nearly untraversable mass of sand and heat that takes up most of the south side of the island. A few large, slow prey animals useful for food and leather traverse its vast landscape, and there are very few predators. Under the whipping sand resides several valuable mineral deposits- if you can find them.

A few edible fruits grow on the suriving plants, and the wood-bearing species are strong and good for building.

Weaknesses

The desert is, by far, the most dangerous place on the entire island-
and it's not because of the predators. The sun beats down relentlessly on the yellow sands during the day,
working with the wind to cause hot gusts. And at night, the wind bites into bare skin with harsh cold. Sandstorms are frequent...and should you run across a predator, it's likely that you will not survive.

Getting lost is easy without something to help with direction, as more often than not there will be no landmarks. And most of the time, if there is a landmark, it will disappear thanks to the wind. A vehicle and a partner is heavily suggested for even the smallest of trips into the desert landscape.

In addition to that, there is no water. Perhaps, if one is lucky, they will run across the occasional rare oasis....but it is extremely unlikely, and even then filtration would be needed.

noodle

Accidental Pyromaniac
Original poster
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Most of the time MST
Writing Levels
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
Mountainside
Information​

The great mountain takes up the entire north side of the island, its massive bulk and height drastically affecting the weather patterns for the biomes at its base. Few animals live on the cliffs, and even fewer live up in the snowy tundra of the peak, or on the cold, windy northeast side. Most creatures travel alone.

The mountain holds several mineral deposits and ore for metals. Prey, both large and small, roam its cliffs, and there are a few edible plants. A very small number of predators live there, and they are few and far between. Several clear mountain streams and springs flow down near its base, although filtering is still highly reccomended.

Weaknesses

The prey animals are quick, agile, and hard to kill thanks to their thick hides and fur, and the predators are large and aggressive. The weather is unpredictable and often cold, so teams, as always, is strongly advised. The peak and the northeast side are practically impossible to traverse, and don't hold much use.

The few plants that can survive on the barren, blustery heights are weak and most are inedible.

Last edited:

noodle

Accidental Pyromaniac
Original poster
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Most of the time MST
Writing Levels
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
Nasea
Information​

The Nasea is a large, predatory catlike creature that lurks in the rainforest of the island.

It is about seven feet in length and stands five feet tall at the shoulder. An average specimen will weigh around 370 pounds. Its pale coloring, along with its striped fur pattern and almost reptilian tail, helps it blend in well in the foggy, warm environment of the rainforest. Males are significantly smaller than females, and are easily identifiable by their large tusks. Juveniles have a striped pattern reaching along their tail, which is furred until they reach three years of age. Once maturity is reached, the fur on the tail recedes, leaving behind the plain, scaled skin.

Naseas are adept predators, known for their stealth and climbing abilities. Despite their large size and weight, they swiftly climb high up in trees, where they spend most of their time- hunting, eating, and even sleeping. Nesting females will care for their cubs (usually in litters of 2-5) in nests stolen from the large indeginous birds.

Weaknesses

Their skin and fur isn't particularly thick, as adult Naseas have no natural predators. Therefore, if a fight is initiated, peircing or slashing weapons can easily take down one of these beasts...provided one hits it in the correct spot, of course.

To attack, these creatures usually drop from large, thick trees, so once a person is familiar with their behaviors, they can be avoided.