The Death of Winter

The bell banged, not chimed, and the sound made Keiran look up from his book. He saw Liz wearing nicer clothes than the day before, which was strange considering the weekend. Her conversation on her mobile device intrigued him, and he watched her until she hung up and spoke to him directly.

"We have gotten some recently printed novels in the window," he said, motioning to the front of the store. "An elderly couple brought in completed sets of many books, which I have just finished putting away. They are in better shape than the others in the store, and they are easily found, if you decide to look."

He paused before asking her a question. "Who were you speaking to on your... phone?"

"Oh, that... That was my boss." Liz said, not commenting on the different pauses that Keiran would have. She looked through the novels and books hoping to find something that piqued her interests. "He wants me to work overtime with no pay to fix some mess that my dick of a coworker made and blamed on me. The only way to get out of it though for my boss is to... entertain him." She explained, running a hand through her hair, pulling it out of its bun.

From the way she chose her words carefully, he assumed the entertainment was in a distasteful form. Keiran wasn't very up-to-date on such things, but he knew they were somewhat commonplace among the humans.

"I see." It was sort of a lie, but he covered it up nicely. "Did you find the time to complete the novel you purchased yesterday? I hope you were able to enjoy it." Books were ancient (when compared to a human life span), and Keiran was always saddened when 'bad' books were printed or given awful reviews. They used to be precious items, and now hardly anyone wanted to enter his store due to the increase of technology. The fact that Liz even stooped from her corporate job to visit him was surprising enough for him, much less her love of reading.

"Finished it in an hour. It was pretty good, though the writing confused me a bit, it was still an interesting story." Liz said, looking through the books. She saw one with a familiar title and smiled. "Harry Potter... I haven't had time to reread this... it was my favorite book as a kid." She said, picking up a few of the books. "I wish I could grab my set from my mom's. She's off touring the world with my step-dad though." Liz stopped talking when she realized she was rambling. "Oh, sorry. That was completely off topic."

Keiran smiled as she wandered through the shelves before he moved back into his book. He had gotten through half of a page before she picked up the Harry Potter novel. He hadn't read it, but he had heard some children talk about it when they approached the store on some occasions.

She spoke about her parents and then stopped, and he studied the floor with that. Keiran had no parents in that sense of the word. He had been made from ice and snow on the first day of winter, learning how to take care of his season and maintain the beauty that was winter. However, it didn't stop him from asking, "What do your parents do around the world? Do they simply travel, or is there a goal?"

"Well, my dad died last year... but my mom just travels. She wants to see all of the wonders of the world. So I'm left to take care of my brothers." Liz said, running her hand over the first Harry Potter book. "At least she's happy with her new husband..." She set the book down reluctantly and browsed through the store again. However, the woman kept glancing back at that series of books, almost longingly as she glanced through the different titles.

It was supposed to be a sad story, but Keiran felt little for it. It had happened some time ago, long by human standards, and there was little point in consoling her now. He looked back down and finished the rest of his page before he spotted her glancing at the Harry Potter books. He wasn't supposed to, but his manager wasn't around at the time, or ever, really.

"If you would like to, you may take the first novel home and read it. I would only ask that you return it by tomorrow, if that is possible."

"A-are you sure?" Liz asked, picking up the book. "Wouldn't you get in trouble?" She walked up to him at the counter, confused by the strange white haired man. She wondered why she kept coming back to the bookstore. Why did this man attract her so? She was curious, wanting to know more and more about this strange person. She looked at him with confused blue eyes.

"The man who runs this store will not notice a book has gone missing for a day. He rarely comes inside and has given me the keys to open and close the store. I am the only one who works here, as no one wishes to work in a book store. It is why I am allowed to do what I wish."

Keiran stood as she approached the counter. "I believe it is fair if I lend you the book for a day. You will be allowed to read it, and the store owner will not lose any revenue. I will not be punished for this." He wasn't exactly sure that was the case, but the manager didn't go rifling through the shelves all the time to make sure everything was in its place.

Liz smiled and leaned over, hugging Keiran before thanking him. "Thank you so, so much. I'll be sure to have this back to you by tomorrow! See you!" She ran out of the store to get home and read the book. She couldn't wait, and wished she could grab a cup of hot coco to drink while she read her most favorite book in the world.

The hug genuinely surprised Keiran, and there was little time to react before Liz had bounced out of the entryway, leaving him standing there. Her body had been incredibly warm compared to his, and for once, he didn't mind the heat crawling on his skin. It seemed different than the heat of the sun, which was odd. Still, he watched her go before he perched himself on his seat again, finally able to finish his book in peace.

Night fell, and Keiran went out again to converse with the High Spirits. He made sure to mention Liz, though not of her actions, only that she seemed interested in him. He had yet to see a manifested High Spirit of Summer, but his eyes were always peeled.

The next day bore the name Saturday, and the store did see some extra customers. It was mostly children looking for picture books, but Keiran welcomed them all the same. Some did complain about the near freezing temperature of the room, but the moving bodies served to warm the air.

It wasn't until near closing that Liz appeared, hair in a messy bun and her clothes wrinkled. She seemed tired and a bit stressed, on the phone again. "I told you the problem's fixed... No, I didn't ask if he was in today... Sir, I'm busy that day... I'm flying back to Minnesota in a week, I need to... Sir, please... No. No, you sick pervert! Goodbye!" She hung up, sighing as she put the phone away. She walked over to counter and set down the book. "Here you go. It's just as good as I remembered."

Night was nearing, and Keiran had been preparing to close when Liz popped in. She was arguing on the phone again, something that he didn't like to hear. He knew the words she shouted were insinuating distasteful habits, and he wished someone would set the man straight.

When she moved up to the desk, he took the book and set it down on his stack. "If your boss is requesting favors of you that you do not like, why do you not simply leave your work?" He hadn't missed her comment about leaving, but he took it one question at a time.

"If I could, I would... but my older brother needs the money and I just happened to be able to make enough to help support him." Liz said, sighing as she leaned against the counter. "I hate my job, honest to God, I do, but I need the money." She ran a hand through her hair, sighing.

"That seems...." Trifling, trivial, stupid? "Bothersome." He knew the disadvantages of money, as he dealt with them on his payroll. He had enough money to pay for his room and that was it. It was lucky that he didn't need anything that humans did outside of clothing, otherwise, he wouldn't have made it.

"You are stressed. I suggest a cold bath with... lavender, I believe. I have been told it reduces anxiety. I have also been told that warm water is better than cold, but, I would not go so far as to agree."

Liz smiled at his suggestion before sighing. "Thanks, but I think I'll just find a book to read." She said, walking over to the shelves and looking through them. She ran her finger against the spines, relaxing as she looked through the books.

Reading was relaxing as well, he supposed. He sat back down in his chair and was going to start reading her suggested book when a creeping, warm sensation curled along his skin. It was the sunlight, but it was in his store. He looked up to find a bulk of a man staring at him through the window. He had fiery red hair and burning golden eyes.

The withering glare he sent was enough to melt the ice cube that was Keiran, but he sent an equally cold glare back. The man shoved his hands in his pockets before stalking off, not before spying Liz. Keiran knew it had to be someone in league with the Summer Spirits. They'd finally found him, but Liz had the unfortunate luck of being around when they first met, if their exchanged glares could be considered as such.

"Would you like the second novel?" he asked, turning his eyes away from the window.

Liz noticed the man outside and how he was looking at Keiran before smiling and nodding. "Yes, please... Also, I'm buying this." She set down a small journal that was in the back of the clearance section. It was an old, flexible leather bound journal that was a dark green color. She pulled out the required amount of money and handed it to Keiran, looking at the book and journal with a smile.

"I did not know we had blank books in the back." All the same, he rang up the miniscule price for the journal before he left the counter in search of the second Harry Potter novel. He found it on the wrong shelf, which prompted him to move other books around before he realized it was the wrong time.

"I apologize. The books were out of order, and I'm afraid I have a habit of putting things back in their rightful place." He hadn't done so with his actual goal, but he was getting there... very slowly.

"It's fine." Liz said, smiling at his little habit. It reminded her of her mother. "Say, do you know when it starts to get cold in California? My little brother was asking me when Californians start planning their snowmen." She said, flipping through the journal with a small smile. She looked up and stared straight at the red haired man, tilting her head. She didn't back down from the man's gaze, almost challenging it.