The Day They Met

"Well, I promise Ranch and I won't treat you any differently! Now, why don't you walk around and get a feel for things." Chips said with a small smile. Ranch went back to the kitchen, cleaning up the mess from the day's business.

Shadow nodded and smiled then began to walk around and make sure she knew how much distance was between the tables, how wide the aisles were and took in to account any foals that may or may not run wild while the orders are being delivered to each table since she had to deal with rambunctious young ones before.

Chip smiled and watched her new employee. Ranch came out of the kitchen, which was now clean and sparkling. "You know, she seems like a nice mare." The stallion said, nudging Chip.

Shadow took in some of the smells discreetly too. The heavy smell of coffee tingled her nose but in a good way. She could definitely get used to working here and everything was generally the same as her last waitress job so that made things easier for her and made her more than qualified.

"Oh, are you going to go after her?" Chip asked Ranch.

"Oh no. But I know a lonely mare who refuses any mare or stallion's advances that might benefit from her." Ranch answered, nudging Chip a bit more.

Shadow sat down at one of the tables and sighed a little then as much as it bothered her she wondered how much she would make. her house was the furthest thing from cheap so her holding down three jobs is a must as long as they paid well. She felt a little guilty wanting to ask since this seemed like such a nice place to work regardless of the pay but she had to know regardless so she figured she'd wait before asking such a sensitive question.

"Oh, shush you!" Chip said, slapping Ranch before walking over to Shadow. "So, you must be wondering about the pay. It's the first thing new employees ask before quitting."

Shadow blushed, feeling embarrassed that she was so easy to read by these two then nodded and looked down at the surface of the table...not that she could see it anyway.

"Well, I try to make sure that all of my employees are paid equally. I aim for 1,000 bits a month, if business goes as planned." Chip said, watching the mare.

Shadow's jaw wanted to drop from hearing that. A thousand bits is more than her two other jobs pay her combined. Her cottage cost 500 a month and her two others jobs combined just barely got her to 450. She wanted to cry from the happiness of finding this place but instead she happily accepted the job with a smile.

"It's great to have you here! Now, for formal introductions, hi! I'm Coffee Chip, founder and creator of Chip's Coffee & Desserts." Chip smiled and held out a hoof.

The stallion who had been in the kitchens walked over to her. "I'm Ranch Dressing. I'm the cook and I make sure to follow Chip's recipes to a tee. I'm also this mare's older brother." He smiled and ruffled Chip's mane.

Shadow giggled then smiled at them. "I'm Shadow Glacier and it's a pleasure to meet you both. I hope you don't mind me saying this but if somepony were to say your names in a certain way it would sound very weird like if somepony were to say 'Ranch dipped Coffee' while you two were dancing." she says then laughs a little.

"Yes, it's very weird, but we work with it." Chip said, giggling.

"By the way, are you single?" Ranch asked Shadow.

"That's a strange question to ask a new employee but yes I am. I have been for quite some time sadly." Shadow answered

"And which gender do you prefer, mares or stallions?" Ranch asked.

"Ranch! Stop pestering the poor thing!" Chip said.

"Another strange question but I prefer mares due to some past experiences with stallions in my life." Shadow answered and giggled a little for no real reason.

"Perfect! Would you like to go on a date with my little sister this saturday?" Ranch asked.

Chip blushed. "Ranch!"

"Oh my. Well um I don't want to force anything on her so I'll let her decide." Shadow replied, blushing a little herself.

Chip pushed Ranch out of the main room, embarrassed. "I'm sorry about him... he's constantly trying to set me up on dates."

"That's alright although I really wouldn't mind going out on a date with you." Shadow says then blushes harder and turns her head slightly.