The Dark Marriage

Mae was silent as the door was shut, gazing longingly at the still-restless shadows in the corner, no doubt a by-product of Alexandre's distress. Hitting him had been the hardest thing she had done in her whole life, and it pained her deeply. She hated that she had done that, and tried to tell herself that the contract might have become invalid if she had let him kiss her. When Matthias spoke, she looked back up, the shadows now dispersed completely.

Her father shaking his head, he said, "No, it isn't your fault. Alexandre loves Lachrimae very much, and I cannot imagine that it is easy to let her be with someone else..." He trails off. Mae knew that he knew how much she and Alexandre had wanted to be together, and it made her angry that he was talking about her as if she wasn't there. However, she didn't say anything, still shell-shocked by what she had been forced to do to Alexandre.

There was an awkward silence before her father continued, "Hopefully, with nothing else to inconvenience us, the two of you can be on your way. The wedding will be in two weeks, and everything will be fine," he says with a smile, trying to lighten the mood once more.

"Still, my behavior was uncalled for," Matthias spoke. "But I am glad you understand. Ah! Speaking of the wedding, my father, Lord Eraqus, wished me to convey a request upon you. In our culture, it is tradition for the fathers of both the wedded to hunt together, and feast upon the kill, binding the fathers with blood." He held up his hands when he got a concerned look. "No worries. My father has no intention of forcing this upon you. But he would like you two to still feast together the night of the wedding, after the ceremony is over. No hunting is required, if you don't wish. He is perfectly content with a cooked, dead meal."

Matthias chuckled at that. His father had been nearly forced by Matthias' grandmother to push this request, and to his dismay, Eraqus would have to eat a dead animal or plant regardless of his lack of enthusiasm for it.

Glancing at Lachrimae, who now looked to be still in shock, Matthias wondered for a moment if the damage she had done to Alexandre, emotionally had been permanent. Once they arrived at the dwelling that had been presented to Matthias by his pack, he could lay out the entire scheme, and press forward with his life once more.

Her father listened politely as Matthias explained his kind's tradition to have the fathers feast together, and was about to respond with a question, but Matthias continued, explaining how his father wouldn't force it upon him. Nodding in agreement, he says, "Of course. I would be more than honored to share a meal with your father." Smiling broadly, he continues, "It won't be a problem at all, and though I would have to object to hunting, it will not be an issue." Mae knew that her father had never hunted in his life, having been born and raised a city boy.

Her arms folded across her chest, Mae's father placed a hand upon her shoulder, steering her closer to Matthias and the door. His impatience was getting to him, as was apparent by how jittery he seemed. She was amazed, really, that he could even stand to have the two weeks between now and the marriage, as she knew from stories her mother had told her that he could barely wait the few days it had been between his official proposal and the marriage.

Not being able to help it, she turned towards him, wrapping her arms around him. "D-daddy..." she said, a moment of weakness overtaking her. Tears clouding her vision, she buried her face in his shoulder, the situation finally crashing down on her. Sobbing uncontrollably, she knew that Matthias was watching, yet couldn't stop it. She also knew that she didn't want to marry Matthias, but she couldn't stop it either. After a few minutes, her father pushed her away, using a handkerchief to wipe away her tears. "Mae," he says softly, "its okay..."

"Excellent! Once we get to our house, I will have a runner send the message. My father will be please." Matthias touched his chin thoughtfully for a moment, and then added, "One more thing. My father is...a very traditional wolf. He will...be in form for the duration of your meal. He said you are willing to, as he said it 'release your shadow' whatever that means."

Matthias, not wanting to intrude when thing's got emotional, looked down at his shoes and pulled out a pocketwatch that was in his suit pocket. Fiddling with it, he almost could see the engravings on it, the claw mark circling the inside almost perfectly. Trying to ease the moment a bit, he spoke up, his tone soothing and calm. "You know my dear, this isn't goodbye. your family is most welcome in our home." He looked to her father, winking as subtly as possible, trying to tell him he was only trying to help. "And maybe you could bring some more tea over, sir? I would love to know where you get it."

Her father brightened at the thought of being able to be in his true ankou form, and nodded rather enthusiastically. "It would be my honor to release my shadows when your father and I eat together." It wasn't often that he was able to release his shadows completely, Mae's mother objecting every time he did so, claiming it wasn't civilized, and what if someone walked in on him like that, or what if he mentally scarred Mae's siblings. Grudgingly he had conceded, and had rarely been able to reveal his shadows since.

Mae turned to Matthias as he spoke, wiping away the tears her father hadn't gotten with the back of her hand. His words slightly reassured her, but she couldn't see the wink that he sent her father through her tears. Feeling her father nod behind her as Matthias asked if her would be able to bring tea when he visited. "Of course," he said with a wide smile.

Matthias saw a little of the fear fall away from her face, and so he continued, hoping to at least get her to calm down. "See? There's nothing to worry about. except what kind of interior you want for the house. I'm...not exactly the most informed when it comes to that kind of stuff. I lived outside for most of my life. What little I've seen has been when my travels took me toward human cities." He rubbed his finger against the pocketwatch in his jacket again, and then continued. "We have been given a most gracious budget, and I would be remiss if I didn't give you free reign."

It really was all true. Their soon to be house was bare, all except for the basic necessities. Beds, plumbing, basic things like that. There was foodstuff of course, but it was pretty bare. Matthias had no idea what to do about that. He had simply been given money, and a house, and sent off on his merry way.

(( Their house. if you have another suggestion, I'm quite open to it if you don't find this one to your liking.))
ar131195017367436.JPG

His words helped Mae calm down slightly, and soon her face was free of tears and she was able to look to him without sobbing. Listening to him tell her about how she was able to choose what the inside of their house would look like, she gave him a small smile, slightly reassured by now. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Xavier going up the stairs, probably to get the chest of belongings she was able to take with her. It had her favorite clothes and books, an old photograph of her and Alexandre from about a year ago, and a few other things that she held dear to her.

Standing in silence for a moment until Xavier came back down, holding it in both hands, she says, "I am exited to see the house." She leaves it at that, her father taking up the slack.

"I cannot wait to see it either, at the wedding." He smiles broadly. He knew that the wedding wouldn't be large and extravagant like his had been, it being a cross-race marriage, but would probably have his family and anyone Matthias wanted.