[Old]The Cult of Thieves - Sign Ups and OOC

It's depressing, but I learned about this RP far too late. This was the perfect RP that I have been looking for. But I hope the RP goes well for you all :)
Oh-snap. I clicked on the advertisement today to learn that the CS's were closed.
Well, if you have any openings, I would love to join. ^_^

HAve a great RP!
If you can submit a CS by the end of the day then I will still look over them to consider if you'd like! I am looking for no more than 5 more players.

I should be home in a few hours after the festivities to review.

Reactions: Red Thunder
Name: Kadva Hale

Race: Human

Magic: None

Appearance: Dark black hair, often silky and parted to the left. A roundish face, with piercing grey eyes and cracked pink lips. An average height and weight, he doesn't really stick out in a crowd. Small feet and small hands all contribute to his skills in thievery.

History: Born in the heart of Windfell, Kadva should've been born in a well-to-do family. But alas, he is not so lucky, and this bad luck followed him throughout much of his life. Born into one of the poorest families in all of Windfell, the Hale family, he'd been born in a run down and destroyed shack that barely had a roof. Many of his early days would be spent in a bar, where his drunken father would take him to keep him out of the rain, as well as to let other people parent Kadva. His first drink was drunk at the young age of five, and he knew he'd never drink again.

At the age of ten, he found he had a particular talent for stealing from the rich on the street and providing for his own family. And thus began a long line of thefts that eventually mounted in his theft from the richest family in Windfell. His thin knife blade very thoroughly knew the feeling of warm blood, and so did he. All of the riches he stole went into fueling his father's alcoholism, and repairs for their little shack, which his family never moved out of.

At the age of fifteen, he completely dropped out of any form of schooling, and instead completely focused on stealing, now for pleasure instead of necessity. Ranking up better and better thefts, he traveled across Windfell, learning of the diverse cultures and languages, of the diverse races and magics, and of the various weapons and fighting styles. Soon enough, he caught wind of a strange grouping of occurrences, that of deaths of high officials, robbing, and more.

Five years passed, and Kadva finally learned of the secret organization known as the Cult of Thieves. Soon enough, he found himself caught in their organization, and quickly became a very intelligent thief...

Weapon(s) of choice: Two short knifes, which are used for both ranged and melee combat, and a often a very thin longsword.

How long they have been in the Cult of Thieves: Around three years

Specialization in the Cult of Thieves : Acquisition, often able to pickpocket without his victims knowledge. Often, he does very unimportant jobs, but every so often, Kadva is given the task to make a news worthy theft of a richer family, thus his specialty.

Kadva took a deep breath in, then began to walk down the street, focusing his breathing upon the sound of his light footsteps on the cool stone. His eyes took in the surroundings, looking for a perfect target..."There! I've found a rich man!" He slowly mounted the steps, then slowly began to walk behind his target.

For a moment, he simply tailed him, acting as if a part of the crowd. Then, when he saw the chance, he made his way beside him, then calmly said, "Good day we are having sir. Wonderful breeze, no rain, beautiful sun in the sky. I'm Kalla, from the Serin family." A perfectly crafted lie, one he used constantly on those he did basic pickpocketing on.

With a gruff voice, the man responded, "Ah, yes, wonderful day. I'm Terrence, Terrence Highland. I suspect you've heard of my family, eh?"

"It is the case I have heard of your mighty family. I quite respect them to be completely honest." Kadva said as he extended out his hand for greeting.

Terrence locked his hand onto Kadva's hand, and Kadva had caught his victim, hook, line, and sinker. He continued to speak as he held the man's hand, saying "Many men wish he could be of the Highland line, as do I. Rumors say that a man recently stole from them, is this true?" He internally laughed at the irony, for it was he who stole from the Highlands, as he slid his hand into the nobleman's pocket, slipped out his pocket watch, and slid it into his own pocket.

He briefly continued to walk with Terrence, then left with the words, "I hope to meet again someday! Best wishes..."

And thus he headed back to the Cult of Thieves, ready to present his prize, that of a gold plated pocket watch with emerald watch hands....

Last edited:
Thank you so much for even considering do this! :)

Name: Kylar

Appearance: Kylar has the fit, lithe body of a dancer that is suitable to his work and stands at 5"11'. He has cold brown eyes that virtually radiate coldness when he looks directly at someone. He has a thin lipped, downturned mouth with small dimples, giving him the look of innocence that is at odds with his cold eyes. His long blond hair is kept tied behind his head and only let down when he is relaxing. He wears dark red pants, a black shirt with a mottled grey and black cloak, concealing his weaponry and a small bag full of various poisons (Generally prepared before any job).

History: Kylar grew up as the son of a herbalist who specialized in providing exotic herbs, flowers and poisons. As he grew older to run his fathers business he grew more familiar with all the properties and reactions that his father used.

When he turned 17 his father was sentenced to death after an unfortunate accident involving the death of a nobleman after he overdosed on a concoction that had been provided to him from Kylar' father. Forcing Kylar out on to the street with little else but his clothes and a few vials he was able to scavenge before his fathers shop was permanently closed down.

Kylar waited for weeks, trading some of his herbs for a leather tanners garb and some bottled leather oil, dressing himself up and rubbing the oil over his arms to assume the identity of an apprentice tanner to infiltrate the nobleman family mansion.

Kylar bluffed his way into the mansion and methodically began poisoning the family to avenge his father and left after poisoning the noblemans wife. He was sought by the thieves to join them and has been there since. Maintaining a front as a herbalist to launder any gold or jewellery from any thefts.

He is a stoic and stone faced man, seldom showing a smile and the closest he gets to happiness is grim satisfaction at a job well done. He is a brilliant actor, he regards his work with a very cold nature.. He trained himself in the use of the Shuang Gho, which he keeps on him at all times and practices with constantly.

He is utterly loyal to a fault to the Cult and its members, both his biggest strength and weakness.

Weapon(s) of choice: Various poisons, 4 throwing knives, Stilletto Dagger, Shuang Gho (Rope spear)

How long they have been in the Cult of Thieves: 3 and half years.

Specialization in the Cult of Thieves: Assassination, his intimate knowledge of plants and herbs help him discreetly kill people in ways that seem either natural or accidental. He is a master of infiltration and disguising himself and has can identify and about targets relatively quickly, allowing him to sneak in, kill and sneak out again.

A writing sample: Kylar stalked his target, garbed like that of a eunuch as he walked through a garden covered in a soft blanket of snow, he walked with his head bowed and his arms hidden within the sleeves of his robe, concealing his small blade in the palm of his hand, careful not to scratch himself, else the essence of wolfsbane he had secreted on the blade enter his blood stream.

He made his way towards his target, a minor noble who had had men hunted for sport, and carefully readied the dagger, walking past the man and darting out with the blade, cutting his ribs and chest before running for the doorway he had chosen.

He heard shouts of confusion followed quickly by the scream of a woman as the deadly poison took quick effect. Kylar didn't pause and began sprinting to the kitchens. Slowing only to conserve his energy as he manoeuvred down the twisted, narrow passages.

Kylar moved like a wraith through the villa, narrowly avoiding search parties until he heard a shout of alarm followed by the deep thrum of a bow releasing its deadly package, a sharp whistling shooting past his ear as he ran through the kitchen doors, the archers deadly song continuing as he sent arrow after arrow towards Kylar.

Kylar slammed the kitchen doors shut and dived for the garbage chute, sliding down the filth of rotten meat and previous meals. He emerged from the chute into the slums where the food waste was dumped for the pigs and the poor to eat, children fighting each other for scraps of meat. He rose to his feet, pushing away those closest to him as he made his way to the closest entrance to the underground, shedding his outfit as he crawled into the Underbelly, his job done with and the streets a little safer for those who lived in them.

(Sorry I'm late but I think that should be acceptable, I'd upload a picture but I can't where I'm currently staying due to reception issues. I'll try and upload one in time.)
Approved. Don't forget to post your face claim as I will need it for the official CS that will be posted in the clan!

Name: Kadva Hale

Appearance: Dark black hair, often silky and parted to the left. A roundish face, with piercing grey eyes and cracked pink lips. An average height and weight, he doesn't really stick out in a crowd. Small feet and small hands all contribute to his skills in thievery.

History: Born in the heart of Windfell, Kadva should've been born in a well-to-do family. But alas, he is not so lucky, and this bad luck followed him throughout much of his life. Born into one of the poorest families in all of Windfell, the Hale family, he'd been born in a run down and destroyed shack that barely had a roof. Many of his early days would be spent in a bar, where his drunken father would take him to keep him out of the rain, as well as to let other people parent Kadva. His first drink was drunk at the young age of five, and he knew he'd never drink again.

At the age of ten, he found he had a particular talent for stealing from the rich on the street and providing for his own family. And thus began a long line of thefts that eventually mounted in his theft from the richest family in Windfell. His thin knife blade very thoroughly knew the feeling of warm blood, and so did he. All of the riches he stole went into fueling his father's alcoholism, and repairs for their little shack, which his family never moved out of.

At the age of fifteen, he completely dropped out of any form of schooling, and instead completely focused on stealing, now for pleasure instead of necessity. Ranking up better and better thefts, he traveled across Windfell, learning of the diverse cultures and languages, of the diverse races and magics, and of the various weapons and fighting styles. Soon enough, he caught wind of a strange grouping of occurrences, that of deaths of high officials, robbing, and more.

Five years passed, and Kadva finally learned of the secret organization known as the Cult of Thieves. Soon enough, he found himself caught in their organization, and quickly became a very intelligent thief...

Weapon(s) of choice: Two short knifes, which are used for both ranged and melee combat, and a often a very thin longsword.

How long they have been in the Cult of Thieves: Around three years

Specialization in the Cult of Thieves : Acquisition, often able to pickpocket without his victims knowledge. Often, he does very unimportant jobs, but every so often, Kadva is given the task to make a news worthy theft of a richer family, thus his specialty.

Kadva took a deep breath in, then began to walk down the street, focusing his breathing upon the sound of his light footsteps on the cool stone. His eyes took in the surroundings, looking for a perfect target..."There! I've found a rich man!" He slowly mounted the steps, then slowly began to walk behind his target.

For a moment, he simply tailed him, acting as if a part of the crowd. Then, when he saw the chance, he made his way beside him, then calmly said, "Good day we are having sir. Wonderful breeze, no rain, beautiful sun in the sky. I'm Kalla, from the Serin family." A perfectly crafted lie, one he used constantly on those he did basic pickpocketing on.

With a gruff voice, the man responded, "Ah, yes, wonderful day. I'm Terrence, Terrence Highland. I suspect you've heard of my family, eh?"

"It is the case I have heard of your mighty family. I quite respect them to be completely honest." Kadva said as he extended out his hand for greeting.

Terrence locked his hand onto Kadva's hand, and Kadva had caught his victim, hook, line, and sinker. He continued to speak as he held the man's hand, saying "Many men wish he could be of the Highland line, as do I. Rumors say that a man recently stole from them, is this true?" He internally laughed at the irony, for it was he who stole from the Highlands, as he slid his hand into the nobleman's pocket, slipped out his pocket watch, and slid it into his own pocket.

He briefly continued to walk with Terrence, then left with the words, "I hope to meet again someday! Best wishes..."

And thus he headed back to the Cult of Thieves, ready to present his prize, that of a gold plated pocket watch with emerald watch hands....
I'm sorry, but your character is not approved. Thank you for your interest, and good luck out there!

Name: Naomi "Mav" Mavericks

Appearance: Mav is tall for a woman, muscular, an with a face that says... honestly she gives no fucks. She has deep brown skin, freckles over her cheeks and nose, deep eyes, a lazy smile, and her dark hair knitted into dreadlocks. Physically she is a lithe woman in the sense that she is muscular in an agile way. Her garb is very simple, usually, but she enjoys wearing a small cape. Theatrics are her favorite pastime, that and being a sleazy conman.

History: Mav was the daughter of a massive slave owner, known as the Queen of Slaves. Revias, her mother, had numerous children with her many exotic husbands. Mav was the child of a man with wings and her mother. She has small, unusable wings, on her back. That is her destiny. Yet, they can do nothing other than cause her trouble.

She grew up with the best. The best education, the best fighting, and the best weapons training. That only went for so long until Mav fell out of interest with her mother. She joined a smaller guild and helped them along for a while. Her mother found out and destroyed the guild. Mav joined another guild.

They were OK with her for a while before they knew her secretive measures. She was then kicked from the guild. So many guilds she be in, and yet they abandon her. She knew she had some power. Weapon(s) of choice:=
Bow & Arrow: Mav is powerful in them.

How long they have been in the Cult of Thieves (bear in mind children would not be considered)

Specialization in the Cult of Thieves (espionage, information, assassination, acquisitions. Choose one and describe how your character has this as a specialization as this will help define how they became one of the Thieves)

A writing sample (3+ paragraphs of your character)
Character not approved. Thank you for your interest, and good luck!

MOIRA NYNES
"I hope they bleed as much as they talk."

[stabs=390x450]
{slide=Basics|center}//Age

//Race
Faledrin Human

//Magic
------

//Appearance
Standing at 5'6", Moira's physique reads that of an athlete -- lightly muscled and bordering on slim, with strong legs that allow her agility. Her blonde hair falls just to her shoulders, normally thrown back into a messy, thoughtless bun for the sake of convenience, and her eyes are a dark shade of gold and green-flecked hazel. On her face, two scars are etched in her light freckle-peppered skin; one dashed across her cheek and the other jutting up from her top lip.

//Characteristics
(+) Determined, Loyal, Playful
(/) Outspoken, Inquisitive
(-) Stubborn, Vengeful, Tempered

{/slide}
{slide=More|center}//History
Moira was born in Faledrin to a fisherman and a mother she has little recollection of, since she died of illness around the time her daughter turned the age of four. Driven to provide the best he possibly could for his only daughter, Moira's father spent the majority of his time as a fisherman, and Moira, with no one else to watch over her, tagged along. The father-daughter duo's lives for years consisted of unsteady, nauseating boat rides and flailing fish; Moira loved it. Every moment spent at her father's side, she soaked up -- he was all she knew.

In some twisted fate, it wasn't long until the same illness that fell upon her mother stole her father's health. At ten years old, a panicked Moira ran from doctor to doctor, pleading for them to heal her father -- if not, then only to ease his symptoms and grant him at least some sense of comfort. They were quick to refuse. Without the coin needed to pay for the services of a doctor, both Moira and her father were at a loss, and her father's ailments were only worsening. His fever hit a high, and it was when her father coughed up blood that Moira decided to take to the streets.

"Dad?" Her voice was meek as she peered around the corner into her father's room, where he lay curled up on a straw bed, covered in both of the only blankets they had. His response was little more than a grunt, and she tapped her fingernails on the doorframe. "Dad, I'm gonna get you help, okay?" No response. Nervously, she kept tapping. "I'll be right back, okay, dad? You're... You're not gonna be like mom, okay?" She saw her father shift. "I'll be right back," she repeated, turning to leave as her hand dropped down to return to her side.

"No."

It was the most firm his voice had been since his illness set in. Her heart lurched. Moira spun on her heel to face him, only to see him on his feet, his usually lively face paled and beaded with sweat. Fearful, she darted towards him and waved for him to lay back down. "Dad, please," she begged, any other words dying in her throat as her father cut her short.

"Moira, no. You don't need to be wandering around those streets, especially not for --" It began with one cough. Then another, and another, until he vomited. The blood pooled around by his feet, and Moira, horrified, used all her strength to push him back onto the bed by his shoulders.

"Lay down and stop playing tough! I'll go get help!" And with that Moira was off, dashing into the streets. Her gaze snapped both ways across the street, and a small bit of relief flooded over her when she saw a group of nobles, guarded by two warriors began to approach. Money! For a doctor! She wasted no time in sprinting to them. "Please! Ma'am! Sir!" Shaking hands gripping onto the noble woman's dress, she snapped her head up to look at her. "Please! My dad, he's gonna --" Sharp pain exploded over her cheekbone, and Moira crumbled backward onto the ground to see the guard wipe off the butt of his sword with a ridiculously clean piece of cloth.

"Disgusting," muttered the noble woman, grimacing as she looked at the bunched up fabric where Moira's hands were. She shook her head and grunted, before her eyes, cold and angry, fell down onto Moira. "Keep your grimy little hands off me, rat. Scurry back to your hidey-hole." The nobles marched forward and their guards kept keen eyes on the girl as they passed, leaving her to try to fathom what just happened. Moira lifted her hand to her cheek. It came away red.

In the days following, Moira ventured out into the streets and begged for money; the rich wouldn't spare her a glance, but she found those already living on the streets to be the most giving, despite having the least. One day she returned home, and she found her father dead, blood seeping from his mouth and eyes closed.

She was on her own. Living on the streets, she found a community with those less than fortunate -- although crime was still relevant and fights were a common occurrence. They'd share what little they had with one another, including disdainful scoffs from nobles as they passed by; how people could be so full of arrogance and yet not explode was beyond her. When she was fourteen, her friend Alfred, another kid living parentless on the streets, proposed a scheme to sneak into a noble's home and spy.

Moira scoffed. "You're mad."

"I am! Standin' in this alley all damn day would make anyone lose it," he said, sweeping his arms out in an overblown gesture toward the broken-down alley they frequented. He arched a brow, pointing a finger at Moira. "But y'know what? You're right. We gotta' work our way up, think small. Get some practice in for peekin' in on the big hats."

She loosed something akin to a sigh and a chuckle. "What're you thinking? Eavesdropping on people? Maybe sneaking up on some mice?"

A toothy grin brightened his expression. "Aye, you've got an idea there, Moira."

"Oh no."

"The eavesdroppin' bit. Not the mice stalkin'," Alfred said, already turned and ambling his way down the alley.

Moira shook her head, smiling. "I had a hunch." With tentative steps, she trailed after him.

Every time they came together, they caused trouble, though it became less and less over time as spying on people around them became easier. The duo learned of secrets of all kinds -- trivial, humorous, embarrassing, frightening -- and their curiosity about what skeletons nobles, who seemed like another species entirely, had hidden away in their closets.

"They deserve no secrets," Alfred told her one night while they were huddled around a fire. Moira held her hands out towards the flame, chewing on the inside of her cheek. "They don't care 'bout us. They don't care 'bout nothin' aside from their fancy wines and frilly clothes."

She looked to him. "Do you expect them to give a damn about us out here?"

Alfred grunted, shaking his head. "Ah, no. Not a bit. But is it so hard for them to act like people?" He kept his gaze on her for a moment, then frowned. "I mean, look what they did to you, Moira."

Her fingers ran over the scar on her cheek, and a momentary pain washed over her expression before it was replaced with a subdued anger. The memory still stung. She was silent for a moment. "Let's not talk about it," she almost whispered, "Okay?"

Alfred nodded, and they spent another moment in silence.

"They deserve no secrets," she echoed.

Their spying began with following nobles, trying their best to be inconspicuous as they listened in on their conversations. They'd pick up tidbits of information, most of it frivolous: who was wearing what at the last ball, how dreary the thought the weather was, how much wine they thought they drank. The occasional piece of valuable information would slip through, and they all came together to form what seemed like a finished puzzle. Alfred and Moira became acquainted with the nobles' schedules, and, on one daring day, when Moira was seventeen, they decided to venture into one of their homes. It went off without a hitch -- they even managed to snag a bottle of wine to celebrate.

They began to blackmail smaller nobles for years, plastering small, cryptic notes on their doors that threatened to release their secrets to the public should they not agree to duo's anonymous requests. Most times, they asked for money or more wine. For years, they dispersed some of the money out to those close to them, saving the wine for themselves with merriment.

Whispers of the Cult of Thieves spread, even amongst nobles. While it brought Moira hope to know there were such things as criminals for the people, Alfred was wary. Moira was twenty-two when she was approached by the Cult of Thieves after she and Alfred were returning from another night spent spying, and it only took her a moment to accept their offer to join, despite her companion's opposition. It's been four years since that night, and still, she has troubles mending her friendship with Alfred, but she's still certain in her decision of becoming a member of the Cult of Thieves.

//How long they have been in the Cult of Thieves
4 years

//Specialization in the Cult of Thieves
Espionage: Moira has spent enough time observing nobles to know how to pose as a servant, or remain unseen and cling to the shadows. She's lived among commoners for her entire life, and with her experience sneaking around with Alfred, being inconspicuous is almost second nature.

//Weapon(s) of choice
Hand-to-Hand Combat: Years spent living in the grime of Falendrin pushed Moira into learning how to fend for herself -- and with her street-earned combat style, she fights dirty. Most times, she only uses her combat skills in cases of emergency.

Dagger: Also used in cases of emergency. She normally stashes it in one of her boots.

Blowgun with Darts: Tipped with paralyzing poison, this is typically used when Moira gets herself into sticky situations, whether it be from getting caught to almost getting caught. It provides a quiet way to get rid of enemies without killing, but it takes a moment for the poison to take effect.
{/slide}
{slide=Sample|center}Moira's muscles ached. She sat perched in the rafters of a noble's bedroom for what felt like ages, listening, with her eyes scouring the room for anything worthy of being in a report back to the cult. Over the past few hours, the man did little more than sit at his desk, write on a piece of paper, only to curse and scribble over whatever he'd written, then start again.

Jewelry? She scanned the room, then the man. Nothing. Fancy clothes? The man was dressed in nightwear, but it was hardly a step up from what she wore on the streets. Moira's brow furrowed. Does he own anything of value?

The plump noble gave an irritated grunt before flinging his pen across the desk, it landing on the floor with a clink. Despite so, he hardly seemed to care, as he rose from where he was sitting and exited the room with an exaggerated sigh. Her muscles almost sang in relief when she leapt down from the rafters and made a beeline for the desk. Atop a pile of sloppily scribbled-over papers laid one legible letter.

"My Dear Sister:

How many times must I tell you that I run a business, not a charity? This will be the last time, Elana, but you will have to get it yourself. All the money you need is behind the bookcase. Do be more careful with it this time, will you?

Regards,
Brennely"

Her lips curled into a smile. Interesting.
{/slide}
[/stabs]

Last edited by a moderator:
Character not approved. Thank you for your interest, and good luck!
Understandable. I actually got the character finished, but my browser ate my formatting, and when I tried to get it back... apparently it just vomited up that instead of my actual character. I tried to fix that, but I apparently did something to that post, and it refused to work. That's what I get for speed writing, and not putting it in a google doc. Hm~ thought I deleted its ugly carcass from the site. Apparently, my browser ate itself in that regard as well. Ah. Sigh~ thank you for being patient with me. Have a wonderful RP.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's alright. :) Have a wonderful RP!

MOIRA NYNES
"I hope they bleed as much as they talk."

[stabs=390x450]
{slide=Basics|center}//Age

//Race
Faledrin Human

//Magic
------

//Appearance
Standing at 5'6", Moira's physique reads that of an athlete -- lightly muscled and bordering on slim, with strong legs that allow her agility. Her blonde hair falls just to her shoulders, normally thrown back into a messy, thoughtless bun for the sake of convenience, and her eyes are a dark shade of gold and green-flecked hazel. On her face, two scars are etched in her light freckle-peppered skin; one dashed across her cheek and the other jutting up from her top lip.

//Characteristics
(+) Determined, Loyal, Playful
(/) Outspoken, Inquisitive
(-) Stubborn, Vengeful, Tempered

{/slide}
{slide=More|center}//History
Moira was born in Faledrin to a fisherman and a mother she has little recollection of, since she died of illness around the time her daughter turned the age of four. Driven to provide the best he possibly could for his only daughter, Moira's father spent the majority of his time as a fisherman, and Moira, with no one else to watch over her, tagged along. The father-daughter duo's lives for years consisted of unsteady, nauseating boat rides and flailing fish; Moira loved it. Every moment spent at her father's side, she soaked up -- he was all she knew.

In some twisted fate, it wasn't long until the same illness that fell upon her mother stole her father's health. At ten years old, a panicked Moira ran from doctor to doctor, pleading for them to heal her father -- if not, then only to ease his symptoms and grant him at least some sense of comfort. They were quick to refuse. Without the coin needed to pay for the services of a doctor, both Moira and her father were at a loss, and her father's ailments were only worsening. His fever hit a high, and it was when her father coughed up blood that Moira decided to take to the streets.

"Dad?" Her voice was meek as she peered around the corner into her father's room, where he lay curled up on a straw bed, covered in both of the only blankets they had. His response was little more than a grunt, and she tapped her fingernails on the doorframe. "Dad, I'm gonna get you help, okay?" No response. Nervously, she kept tapping. "I'll be right back, okay, dad? You're... You're not gonna be like mom, okay?" She saw her father shift. "I'll be right back," she repeated, turning to leave as her hand dropped down to return to her side.

"No."

It was the most firm his voice had been since his illness set in. Her heart lurched. Moira spun on her heel to face him, only to see him on his feet, his usually lively face paled and beaded with sweat. Fearful, she darted towards him and waved for him to lay back down. "Dad, please," she begged, any other words dying in her throat as her father cut her short.

"Moira, no. You don't need to be wandering around those streets, especially not for --" It began with one cough. Then another, and another, until he vomited. The blood pooled around by his feet, and Moira, horrified, used all her strength to push him back onto the bed by his shoulders.

"Lay down and stop playing tough! I'll go get help!" And with that Moira was off, dashing into the streets. Her gaze snapped both ways across the street, and a small bit of relief flooded over her when she saw a group of nobles, guarded by two warriors began to approach. Money! For a doctor! She wasted no time in sprinting to them. "Please! Ma'am! Sir!" Shaking hands gripping onto the noble woman's dress, she snapped her head up to look at her. "Please! My dad, he's gonna --" Sharp pain exploded over her cheekbone, and Moira crumbled backward onto the ground to see the guard wipe off the butt of his sword with a ridiculously clean piece of cloth.

"Disgusting," muttered the noble woman, grimacing as she looked at the bunched up fabric where Moira's hands were. She shook her head and grunted, before her eyes, cold and angry, fell down onto Moira. "Keep your grimy little hands off me, rat. Scurry back to your hidey-hole." The nobles marched forward and their guards kept keen eyes on the girl as they passed, leaving her to try to fathom what just happened. Moira lifted her hand to her cheek. It came away red.

In the days following, Moira ventured out into the streets and begged for money; the rich wouldn't spare her a glance, but she found those already living on the streets to be the most giving, despite having the least. One day she returned home, and she found her father dead, blood seeping from his mouth and eyes closed.

She was on her own. Living on the streets, she found a community with those less than fortunate -- although crime was still relevant and fights were a common occurrence. They'd share what little they had with one another, including disdainful scoffs from nobles as they passed by; how people could be so full of arrogance and yet not explode was beyond her. When she was fourteen, her friend Alfred, another kid living parentless on the streets, proposed a scheme to sneak into a noble's home and spy.

Moira scoffed. "You're mad."

"I am! Standin' in this alley all damn day would make anyone lose it," he said, sweeping his arms out in an overblown gesture toward the broken-down alley they frequented. He arched a brow, pointing a finger at Moira. "But y'know what? You're right. We gotta' work our way up, think small. Get some practice in for peekin' in on the big hats."

She loosed something akin to a sigh and a chuckle. "What're you thinking? Eavesdropping on people? Maybe sneaking up on some mice?"

A toothy grin brightened his expression. "Aye, you've got an idea there, Moira."

"Oh no."

"The eavesdroppin' bit. Not the mice stalkin'," Alfred said, already turned and ambling his way down the alley.

Moira shook her head, smiling. "I had a hunch." With tentative steps, she trailed after him.

Every time they came together, they caused trouble, though it became less and less over time as spying on people around them became easier. The duo learned of secrets of all kinds -- trivial, humorous, embarrassing, frightening -- and their curiosity about what skeletons nobles, who seemed like another species entirely, had hidden away in their closets.

"They deserve no secrets," Alfred told her one night while they were huddled around a fire. Moira held her hands out towards the flame, chewing on the inside of her cheek. "They don't care 'bout us. They don't care 'bout nothin' aside from their fancy wines and frilly clothes."

She looked to him. "Do you expect them to give a damn about us out here?"

Alfred grunted, shaking his head. "Ah, no. Not a bit. But is it so hard for them to act like people?" He kept his gaze on her for a moment, then frowned. "I mean, look what they did to you, Moira."

Her fingers ran over the scar on her cheek, and a momentary pain washed over her expression before it was replaced with a subdued anger. The memory still stung. She was silent for a moment. "Let's not talk about it," she almost whispered, "Okay?"

Alfred nodded, and they spent another moment in silence.

"They deserve no secrets," she echoed.

Their spying began with following nobles, trying their best to be inconspicuous as they listened in on their conversations. They'd pick up tidbits of information, most of it frivolous: who was wearing what at the last ball, how dreary the thought the weather was, how much wine they thought they drank. The occasional piece of valuable information would slip through, and they all came together to form what seemed like a finished puzzle. Alfred and Moira became acquainted with the nobles' schedules, and, on one daring day, when Moira was seventeen, they decided to venture into one of their homes. It went off without a hitch -- they even managed to snag a bottle of wine to celebrate.

They began to blackmail smaller nobles for years, plastering small, cryptic notes on their doors that threatened to release their secrets to the public should they not agree to duo's anonymous requests. Most times, they asked for money or more wine. For years, they dispersed some of the money out to those close to them, saving the wine for themselves with merriment.

Whispers of the Cult of Thieves spread, even amongst nobles. While it brought Moira hope to know there were such things as criminals for the people, Alfred was wary. Moira was twenty-two when she was approached by the Cult of Thieves after she and Alfred were returning from another night spent spying, and it only took her a moment to accept their offer to join, despite her companion's opposition. It's been four years since that night, and still, she has troubles mending her friendship with Alfred, but she's still certain in her decision of becoming a member of the Cult of Thieves.

//How long they have been in the Cult of Thieves
4 years

//Specialization in the Cult of Thieves
Espionage: Moira has spent enough time observing nobles to know how to pose as a servant, or remain unseen and cling to the shadows. She's lived among commoners for her entire life, and with her experience sneaking around with Alfred, being inconspicuous is almost second nature.

//Weapon(s) of choice
Hand-to-Hand Combat: Years spent living in the grime of Falendrin pushed Moira into learning how to fend for herself -- and with her street-earned combat style, she fights dirty. Most times, she only uses her combat skills in cases of emergency.

Dagger: Also used in cases of emergency. She normally stashes it in one of her boots.

Blowgun with Darts: Tipped with paralyzing poison, this is typically used when Moira gets herself into sticky situations, whether it be from getting caught to almost getting caught. It provides a quiet way to get rid of enemies without killing, but it takes a moment for the poison to take effect.
{/slide}
{slide=Sample|center}Moira's muscles ached. She sat perched in the rafters of a noble's bedroom for what felt like ages, listening, with her eyes scouring the room for anything worthy of being in a report back to the cult. Over the past few hours, the man did little more than sit at his desk, write on a piece of paper, only to curse and scribble over whatever he'd written, then start again.

Jewelry? She scanned the room, then the man. Nothing. Fancy clothes? The man was dressed in nightwear, but it was hardly a step up from what she wore on the streets. Moira's brow furrowed. Does he own anything of value?

The plump noble gave an irritated grunt before flinging his pen across the desk, it landing on the floor with a clink. Despite so, he hardly seemed to care, as he rose from where he was sitting and exited the room with an exaggerated sigh. Her muscles almost sang in relief when she leapt down from the rafters and made a beeline for the desk. Atop a pile of sloppily scribbled-over papers laid one legible letter.

"My Dear Sister:

How many times must I tell you that I run a business, not a charity? This will be the last time, Elana, but you will have to get it yourself. All the money you need is behind the bookcase. Do be more careful with it this time, will you?

Regards,
Brennely"

Her lips curled into a smile. Interesting.
{/slide}
[/stabs]
Approved!

• Love
Reactions: Dovahkiin
NPC

Madam Eswayt

a8a53a2b7057745685a67a9452119875.jpg

Race: Half Naveri / Half Faledrin
Magic: Arcane - A woman of focus, cunning, and innovation, Eswayt uses her magical art almost exclusively in the pursuit of her job, whether that be through seduction as a lady of the night, subterfuge as a member of the Cult of Thieves, or supervision as the Madam of Dusk's Welcome.
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 150 lbs
Appearance: Tan from decades in the sun and leathery from years in the salty Windfell winds, Eswayt has nevertheless retained much of the beauty that once made her a byword among the more hedonistic of the nobles. Waves of bone white hair falls across her shoulders, a red cloth hiding the bit of thinning she has begun to show on her scalp. Large loops of gold dangle from her ears, the only bit of adornment she wears. Two keen eyes, more prone with finding fault than finding praise, are set deeply below thin arching eyebrows. The lips of her mouth are blood red, and the labial lines that run down from a widish nose show plainly that Eswayt has smiled but little in her life. She wears plain clothing: a white tunic of sits loosely across her shoulders, while a long skirt swings at her shins, hiding the tops of her tall brown leather boots.
Personality: Eswayt refuses to take anything from anyone, and has little in the way of filter. Full of pride and argueably no small amount of haughtiness, she is remarkably cynical of the world and those living in it, seeing those around her as merely keeping themselves busy before death. As such, she refuses to get close to much anyone. But when she does, she treats them as family, giving of herself with no hesitation. Her brothel is in fact full of those she has empathized with, and she always gives them what they need, if not actually what they want.
Weapons: Eswayt does not like to get her hands dirty, preferring to sic those of more violent perchant on her enemies. But when occasion calls for it, she will pull a dagger or two: one stuffed in her right boot, the other hidden in her corset between her breasts.
Time and Specialization: Eswayt was with the Cult for most of her life, only leaving to retire some 15 years prior to the start of the story. While there, the half-elf specialized in Espionage, practically defining the art of Gab within the circle of the thieves. Thanks in no small part to her front as a courtesan, Eswayt was instrumental in obtaining sensitive information from clientele that the Cult had targeted. But as she grew older, the nobility became less and less desirous of her, so she retired from the Cult, choosing instead to run the Dusk's Welcome, the place she'd gotten her own start, as an information brokerage, training her girls (and the occasional tavern-born lad) to do the job.
@Effervescent

Last edited:
Damn, just discovered this and it really snagged my interest. Imagine I'm way past deadline, though. Shame.

*whimpers softly* I'm too late... This is right up my alley. *sighs softly* Ah well, next time.

Damn-- missed the deadline.

Good luck with this!

LEONA MONAGAN

Race: Faeldrin
Appearance: Leona has a soft face with sharp features -- it's hard to tell her demeanor just from a glance because of her contrasting details. There is a strange spark within Leona that betrays her indistinguishable face, a wild look in her eye that reflects just like her eyes do in the light -- they become a sort of yellow rather than their natural shimmering hazel. Leona has burn scars all over her hands climbing up to her elbow, but she often wears gloves to hide them.

Personality Traits
Positive: Ambitious - Determined - Cunning
Negative: Feisty - Aggressive - Stubborn

death is a friend of mine

Leona's story does not start with bitter tragedy. Contrary, Leona lived a wonderful childhood with her loving mother in Windfeld. Joana Monagan owned a bakery and made her keep honest. Her father had disappeared as soon as he knew that Joana was pregnant, but Leona, in truth, hardly ever noticed. Her mother was a loving and strong person, working hard to provide stability for her and her young daughter.

Leona was a feisty, curious, and rambunctious child. A handful, if anything. But her mother was a patient woman, and Leona learned. Her little lion. She grew up in her mother's bakery, waking up every morning to bake the fresh loaves and greet the customers. The bakery was doing well, Leona and her mother were team. Up until the age of fourteen, everything was perfect, until the fire.

Whether or not it was some rambunctious kids playing around. Or perhaps of pure malicious intent, or even just a mishap with the oven.. didn't matter to Leona. All she knew was that the place she had grown up in, learned in, was gone.. and so was her mother.

With no one left to care for her, Leona was on her own. Many of the people that Leona and her mother had done business with tried to show Leona some kindness, but none could take her in. Leona had been injured in the fire, her hands burned and blistered something awful, keeping her from maintaining a job, at least for some amount of time. At first, she begged. It was degrading and sickening, though it kept her fed for some time. But it wasn't enough. Leona took to thievery.

Puppy eyes coupled with quick feet and sleight of hand, Leona got the hang of it rather quickly. Thievery came.. almost easy to her, even though she was rather ashamed to admit it. It did come with risk, however, and through it, Leona learned how to protect herself. Death became an old friend of hers. She stole to survive and she took whatever consequences came with it, including the loss of lives. Leona was not the girl she had been prior to her mother's death, and she took it in her stride.

Her life changed once more when planned a heist. She had moved up from just pick-pocketing, and now targeted middle-class houses that seemed unprotected. She was wrong. The first few minutes were easy -- pick the lock, slide in, grab anything shiny she saw right off the bat. But as Leona traveled deeper into the house, things got more and more peculiar. The place was crawling with strange ingredients, jars with strange concoctions and things Leona couldn't quite make out. And then there was a blade against her throat.

His name was Muller, and he took a liking to her, for a reason that Leona to this day does not know. He offered her shelter, and though cautious, she accepted. After seeing her interest in the strange things he kept on his wall, Muller offered to tutor her in the art of potion and poison making. She was an eager student.

Years passed with Muller and she grew to love him like a father figure. When she was recruited for the Cult of Thieves, Leona learned that Muller was a veteran of the organization, and he had personally recommended her. She began her life as a member of the cult and has been there ever since.

Weapon(s) of choice: Bow and Arrow, Khopesh, Throwing Knives
How long they have been in the Cult of Thieves: Six years
Specialization within the Cult of Thieves: Acquisition. Leona is an excellent thief, having been one for over a decade. As taught by Muller, Leona uses her knowledge of poisons to infect her weapons and uses her stealth to complete missions. There are many qualities that make Leona a superb fit for her line of work. Her reflexes, knowledge, and appearance all allow her to get the job done smoothly and leave without trace. She is practiced and precise, despite looking otherwise, and is known to get the job done.

• Thank You
LEONA MONAGAN

Race: Faeldrin
Appearance: Leona has a soft face with sharp features -- it's hard to tell her demeanor just from a glance because of her contrasting details. There is a strange spark within Leona that betrays her indistinguishable face, a wild look in her eye that reflects just like her eyes do in the light -- they become a sort of yellow rather than their natural shimmering hazel. Leona has burn scars all over her hands climbing up to her elbow, but she often wears gloves to hide them.

Personality Traits
Positive: Ambitious - Determined - Cunning
Negative: Feisty - Aggressive - Stubborn

death is a friend of mine

Leona's story does not start with bitter tragedy. Contrary, Leona lived a wonderful childhood with her loving mother in Windfeld. Joana Monagan owned a bakery and made her keep honest. Her father had disappeared as soon as he knew that Joana was pregnant, but Leona, in truth, hardly ever noticed. Her mother was a loving and strong person, working hard to provide stability for her and her young daughter.

Leona was a feisty, curious, and rambunctious child. A handful, if anything. But her mother was a patient woman, and Leona learned. Her little lion. She grew up in her mother's bakery, waking up every morning to bake the fresh loaves and greet the customers. The bakery was doing well, Leona and her mother were team. Up until the age of fourteen, everything was perfect, until the fire.

Whether or not it was some rambunctious kids playing around. Or perhaps of pure malicious intent, or even just a mishap with the oven.. didn't matter to Leona. All she knew was that the place she had grown up in, learned in, was gone.. and so was her mother.

With no one left to care for her, Leona was on her own. Many of the people that Leona and her mother had done business with tried to show Leona some kindness, but none could take her in. Leona had been injured in the fire, her hands burned and blistered something awful, keeping her from maintaining a job, at least for some amount of time. At first, she begged. It was degrading and sickening, though it kept her fed for some time. But it wasn't enough. Leona took to thievery.

Puppy eyes coupled with quick feet and sleight of hand, Leona got the hang of it rather quickly. Thievery came.. almost easy to her, even though she was rather ashamed to admit it. It did come with risk, however, and through it, Leona learned how to protect herself. Death became an old friend of hers. She stole to survive and she took whatever consequences came with it, including the loss of lives. Leona was not the girl she had been prior to her mother's death, and she took it in her stride.

Her life changed once more when planned a heist. She had moved up from just pick-pocketing, and now targeted middle-class houses that seemed unprotected. She was wrong. The first few minutes were easy -- pick the lock, slide in, grab anything shiny she saw right off the bat. But as Leona traveled deeper into the house, things got more and more peculiar. The place was crawling with strange ingredients, jars with strange concoctions and things Leona couldn't quite make out. And then there was a blade against her throat.

His name was Muller, and he took a liking to her, for a reason that Leona to this day does not know. He offered her shelter, and though cautious, she accepted. After seeing her interest in the strange things he kept on his wall, Muller offered to tutor her in the art of potion and poison making. She was an eager student.

Years passed with Muller and she grew to love him like a father figure. When she was recruited for the Cult of Thieves, Leona learned that Muller was a veteran of the organization, and he had personally recommended her. She began her life as a member of the cult and has been there ever since.

Weapon(s) of choice: Bow and Arrow, Khopesh, Throwing Knives
How long they have been in the Cult of Thieves: Six years
Specialization within the Cult of Thieves: Acquisition. Leona is an excellent thief, having been one for over a decade. As taught by Muller, Leona uses her knowledge of poisons to infect her weapons and uses her stealth to complete missions. There are many qualities that make Leona a superb fit for her line of work. Her reflexes, knowledge, and appearance all allow her to get the job done smoothly and leave without trace. She is practiced and precise, despite looking otherwise, and is known to get the job done.
Approved. Late entry discussed and approved weeks ago. Player not required to submit writing sample due to having roleplayed together for over a year.

@Effervescent

Sorry I cant talk via Discord, only got my phone and it doesn't support it, the only reason I haven't posted is purely because there isn't really all that much I can do in the current situation. I've been waiting for the next post before I do anything

@Effervescent

Sorry I cant talk via Discord, only got my phone and it doesn't support it, the only reason I haven't posted is purely because there isn't really all that much I can do in the current situation. I've been waiting for the next post before I do anything
I believe @Effervescent will be posting soon.

But don't limit yourself to just what's going on in the immediate scene! Take the opportunity to do some character introspection, a flashback, any number of things! Posts don't have to be simply reactionary in nature to the goings-on, after all.
@Elle Joyner

I believe @Effervescent will be posting soon.

But don't limit yourself to just what's going on in the immediate scene! Take the opportunity to do some character introspection, a flashback, any number of things! Posts don't have to be simply reactionary in nature to the goings-on, after all.
@Elle Joyner

Very true but even then I have a bad case or writers block. Plus I'm having a few... Well not problems but I can happily say I'm engaged now.