The Culling Season | Murders, mystery and magic

@OwlFeather

That's a good idea.

Hendwick and Hemlock could get along, I think, as they are both a little odd, though I doubt they know each-other due to the short while Hendwick has been in town. They'd probably have a bit of fun chatting, I'd imagine. Once they do manage to encounter and get to know one-another. Maybe Hemlock has a potion to help with Hendwick's height issues, heh. Though knowing Hendwick's luck, it wouldn't work.

I'd say Hendwick possibly has at least spoken with Cregan or Grin while drinking, though the extent of that is more up to @Sini and @Tyrannosaurus Rekt than myself, but I'd say it's no major relationship. Hendwick has only been in town for what I'll say is about 2-3 weeks, and just hasn't made enough money to really get out of town, so he's stuck until he gets a job that pays well enough... And he gains the sense to not buy a bunch of alcohol instead of saving his money up for traveling supplies. Yeah, he's gonna be stuck awhile. Plenty of time to make friends. Or enemies. Or Frenemies. Maybe to the point he won't want to leave. Either that, or the happenings in town end up managing to catch his interest.

Vladlena probably has had to deal with Hendwick since his arrival, since his life outside of making money is drinking and sleeping, both things the establishment she works in provides. Gonna need some input from you on that, @Shabriri as I have no idea what she'd think of him, just that she has to see his mug when he comes in, and probably has to hear him gab, too. That being said, he's far from the only one doing such a thing, so he probably doesn't stand out that much aside from the fact he's drinking happily rather than drowning any sort of sorrow.

@Pellegrino @dreamshell

Algernon and Edwin are the oddest ones out when it comes to relations with Hendwick, I feel. Not that he'd have a problem with either, I just don't see a whole lot of talk from before the roleplay starts. All I can really say is Algernon's professionalism would amuse Hendwick, and Edwin would appear somewhat boring, though not in a negative manner. Probably just because Hendwick wouldn't understand him as well as some people possibly could. Not afraid to admit Hendwick is a bit of a knucklehead beyond his joyfulness. Might be something entertaining there, who knows. >w>

@Raddum

More or less, I had assumed people would know of Hemlock without actually knowing him, and I'm sure he'd appreciate the opportunity to chat once they're properly introduced. If Hendwick is the type to take the occult in stride, perhaps he may be a vote of confidence that the witch isn't out to get people? Even if he doesn't have any such potion to offer.

@Pellegrino

I can see Hemlock having read a bit of Edwin's work and being fascinated by it-- and would probably be rather intrigued to meet a person of his nature. That said, I don't know that they ever would've interacted much prior.

@Shabriri @Tyrannosaurus Rekt @dreamshell @Sini

I imagine Hemlock would have heard of some, perhaps even interacted with Vladlena a few times, but unless under some extenuating circumstances, I doubt our characters would've had much interaction up till now.

As a gunsmith, Grin could have been contracted by Creg for some repairs/modifications or a new pistol/carbine/blunderbuss.

Hendwick can be an old acquaintance. Maybe they did a job together sometime. I was going to have Creg work at the stockyards as a butcher. Maybe Hendwick calls on him to land him a gig, for old time's sake? Hendwick seems like the sort who likes menial labour like shifting sacks or animal caracasses.

Vladlena would be familiar with Creg too, I wager, in the same capacity as Hendwick. Though I'm not sure how she thinks of him. She sounds like someone who does not take a liking to anyone :P .

I'm also available for other participants if they want to work something out. Creg is a sour lad, but is looking for a step up in the world to turn his luck around.

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: 1 person
Proofed and it's ready for a proper review, @Sini. I'm glad to hear he's to your liking so far! I tend to take a more grounded approach to my characters, no matter how fantastical. I find vampirism particularly interesting as it reads like a disease that forces one to endure great mental and emotional trauma to survive. That shift between mundane sanity to entirely different inspires me.
@Pellegrino - post it up in the OOC thread and I'll see it added to the cast! :)

Unless anyone has objections, I think we can start this baby off in a day or so.

Reactions: kixinorbit
@OwlFeather

Oh, most certainly. Hendwick isn't one to judge, and would proudly speak up for Hemlock once they started getting along.
Though if they'd take his word for it or judge them both is still in question.

@Sini

That'd be neat. I can see them working together on a job or two in the past, and Hendwick would be most appreciative of getting some money rolling in, even if it ends up leaving his hands just as quickly, heh.

Reactions: Sini
This is hopefully unnecessary precaution on my part, but as there's supposed to be a big snowstorm on the way and I live in a remote area that sometimes loses power during that sort of thing, if I don't respond in the next few days, that's probably why. ;)

@Raddum & @OwlFeather

No concern if Edwin is an odd one to your characters. He's the sort to be considered strange, but in a way I think most of us are familiar with encountering in reality. It should be fun to see how our three interact! Hemlock specifically is more than welcome to suspect Edwin is Juinarto once they have a chance to speak. Like the CS said, people who know him have their theories. I'll also put together a couple stories as I find time so there's some actual content for people to reference. It should be fun.

@Tyrannosaurus Rekt

Edwin would've visited Grin to purchase a gun prior his fateful meeting with the vampyres. I highly doubt Edwin would have returned after what happened, so should they cross paths and assuming Grin is the type to remember and follow up, that's something to consider. If you'd like to make something further of that I'm open, but I can't imagine an educated man would not arm himself before throwing himself into danger.

I love me some Gothic country/gothabilly and/or bluegrass. Ever listen to Dezperadoz, Ghoultown, The Coffinshakers, or Th' Legendary Shack Shakers?
Wow, you have some guys that I do not. I'm not very knowledgeable on all the gothic country (and all their genre names). This is what I've been listening to:
The Devil Makes Three
The Brothers Bright
Justin Cross
Brandi Carlile
Delta Rae
O'Death

I'd say it's no major relationship. Hendwick has only been in town for what I'll say is about 2-3 weeks, and just hasn't made enough money to really get out of town, so he's stuck until he gets a job that pays well enough... And he gains the sense to not buy a bunch of alcohol instead of saving his money up for traveling supplies. Yeah, he's gonna be stuck awhile. Plenty of time to make friends. Or enemies. Or Frenemies. Maybe to the point he won't want to leave. Either that, or the happenings in town end up managing to catch his interest.
An "on occasion" drinking partner sounds fine to me. Grin isn't one to make bffs in Gramheim, but he'd definitely be interested in finding the occasional drinker and being chummy with him for a night. Especially one that he can trades the "shorter than most" woes with. And being the Grin that he is, he would've made sure the other was definitely not the sort to be hit upon. XD

I doubt our characters would've had much interaction up till now.
If your character hasn't needed a gun, drinking partner, or bed warmer--then no, you wouldn't have heard of Grin. Shame, though. I hope our character become more acquainted in the future.

As a gunsmith, Grin could have been contracted by Creg for some repairs/modifications or a new pistol/carbine/blunderbuss.
Sounds perfect. That's something Grin would definitely do. He'd probably snatch the weapon, curse in another language about it's not perfectly calibrated, and when Creg picks it up again there are a few modifications to it. Grin is all about making sure that people's weapons fit them. He wouldn't charge any more for it though, just the materials. It's a labor of love not of profit.

Edwin would've visited Grin to purchase a gun prior his fateful meeting with the vampyres. I highly doubt Edwin would have returned after what happened, so should they cross paths and assuming Grin is the type to remember and follow up, that's something to consider. If you'd like to make something further of that I'm open, but I can't imagine an educated man would not arm himself before throwing himself into danger.
Ah. Grin doesn't really have guns to purchase. He has ideas. He'll take a few days--maybe more (though considering Edwin's background... definitely days)-- and create a handgun perfect for the man. And while he doesn't make friends with everyone that is his customer, he does remember their faces--if only to make sure that they're making sure their weapon is used correctly. Upon glance after the initial purchase, Grin would definitely worry. I'm definitely game for someone to have a deeper relationship with Grin. Since all of them have been very touch-and-go, but I understand if that doesn't flow with the character. They both seem to have dad issues, even if those issues are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Ah. Grin doesn't really have guns to purchase. He has ideas. He'll take a few days--maybe more (though considering Edwin's background... definitely days)-- and create a handgun perfect for the man. And while he doesn't make friends with everyone that is his customer, he does remember their faces--if only to make sure that they're making sure their weapon is used correctly. Upon glance after the initial purchase, Grin would definitely worry. I'm definitely game for someone to have a deeper relationship with Grin. Since all of them have been very touch-and-go, but I understand if that doesn't flow with the character. They both seem to have dad issues, even if those issues are on opposite ends of the spectrum.
I don't think their backgrounds would have much effect to their meeting. Edwin would've thought to purchase a weapon as his investigation reaped solid leads, so that could easily be their introduction. Perhaps he placed the order several weeks prior and in that time he and Grin have shared a drink or two. Not sure how deep that relationship might be, but after being infected, Edwin might act more reclusive, which could cause some concern to those who know him. Actually, that could be very good.

Wow, you have some guys that I do not. I'm not very knowledgeable on all the gothic country (and all their genre names). This is what I've been listening to:
The Devil Makes Three
The Brothers Bright
Justin Cross
Brandi Carlile
Delta Rae
O'Death

I've recently become aware of quite a few of those, actually! I especially like 'Bottom of the River' by Delta Rae and 'Blood on My Name' by The Brothers Bright. Others you might check out:

Devil at My Door - Highlonesome
Smoke & Mirrors - Southern Gothic Revival
Blood in the Valley - Sons of Perdition
Undertaker - The Peculiar Pretzelmen
Poison Water - The Builders and the Butchers

This is hopefully unnecessary precaution on my part, but as there's supposed to be a big snowstorm on the way and I live in a remote area that sometimes loses power during that sort of thing, if I don't respond in the next few days, that's probably why. ;)
Hopefully not. That happens around here every once in awhile. Stay warm!

No concern if Edwin is an odd one to your characters. He's the sort to be considered strange, but in a way I think most of us are familiar with encountering in reality. It should be fun to see how our three interact! Hemlock specifically is more than welcome to suspect Edwin is Juinarto once they have a chance to speak. Like the CS said, people who know him have their theories. I'll also put together a couple stories as I find time so there's some actual content for people to reference. It should be fun.
I think so, too. And I think Hemlock will be glad to realize that no one is truly "normal." Ah, he may have his suspicions once they're acquainted, but I think he'd be intrigued nonetheless. I'm definitely looking forward to the stories!

If your character hasn't needed a gun, drinking partner, or bed warmer--then no, you wouldn't have heard of Grin. Shame, though. I hope our character become more acquainted in the future.
I don't know that he'd really know what to do with any of those-- as of yet, anyway. Here's to learning, I suppose. And yes, I hope so!

I would like to add that I had no idea Gothic Country was even a musical genre. I've never considered myself a fan of country, but I like a lot of what @Tyrannosaurus Rekt and @dreamshell have listed. It's a very different sound than what I have come to associate with "country." Thank you for sharing-- broadening horizons and all that.

Last edited:
Is there still an opening? I've had my eye on this for a few days now, and I'm surprised no form of hunter has been made yet. I was thinking of going with that if there is still space.

The Brothers Bright are damn right fantastic! @Tyrannosaurus Rekt

Is there still an opening? I've had my eye on this for a few days now, and I'm surprised no form of hunter has been made yet. I was thinking of going with that if there is still space.
There's still room.

Also a fair piece of warning, there will be a group of 'hunters' dropping into town fairly soon in the RP. So far we have a good band of unlikely heroes and entertaining characters, which I really enjoy.

I'm not sure what you have planned for a hunter, but I'd say to try and steer away from the stereotypes since those guys will be turning up (in some part or form) as NPCs.