The Culling Season | Murders, mystery and magic

** Pretty high right now, will need to proof this tomorrow **

Edwin Juinarto Harbeo​

Once you did, let me know ;) It's looking good so far.

In any case I have to say that in spite of him being a bloodsucking vampire, he is actually the kind I'd include in this sort of story. Not a sadistic ancient monster, but a newly initiated one still very much in touch with his humanity.

@Tyrannosaurus Rekt and @Raddum those characters you sent me make a damn fine addition to this band of misfits. Hendwick will likely get along well with Cregan, maybe they've known one another already.

Post those treasures up in the thread and I'll add them to the list.

@Tyrannosaurus Rekt and @Raddum those characters you sent me make a damn fine addition to this band of misfits. Hendwick will likely get along well with Cregan, maybe they've known one another already.

Post those treasures up in the thread and I'll add them to the list.
napoleon-dynamite.jpg

VICTORY TO THE DRUNKEN
It's quite possible for them to know each-other, though I'd figure not too well.

A drinking buddy is a drinking buddy, however.​

@Tyrannosaurus Rekt and @Raddum those characters you sent me make a damn fine addition to this band of misfits.
Done and done. Nice. I'm glad to be a part of this.
*confetti*

I waffled between like three different character ideas before finally settling on that one. I love it when RPs make me have a hard time figuring out what character I want to play in them.

@Raddum Hah. I'm sure that Grin will not appreciate your character getting confused with a dwarf but probably appreciate the lack of excruciating height difference. "Why're humans so racist? But, at least, I don't have to break my neck lookin' up at you." Or something of that sort.

I waffled between like three different character ideas before finally settling on that one. I love it when RPs make me have a hard time figuring out what character I want to play in them.

@Raddum Hah. I'm sure that Grin will not appreciate your character getting confused with a dwarf but probably appreciate the lack of excruciating height difference. "Why're humans so racist? But, at least, I don't have to break my neck lookin' up at you." Or something of that sort.
I went through a few different characters myself, Hendwick honestly being the most interesting of them. Considering he's meant to come off as nothing exactly special that probably makes my other ideas sound completely terrible, which they might have been if I had fully written them up, so who knows.

Heh! That's something I was hoping to hear, actually. Hendwick himself finds it hilarious, so a little irritation caused by such a thing is intended. Though Hendwick himself isn't racist, or at least he doesn't try to be. A little mockery of Dwarves used as a joke will probably end up getting him into trouble at some point, though... Thankfully he's good at the aftermath of fightin' words.

@Pellegrino @Tyrannosaurus Rekt @Raddum

I like the new additions, everybody. ;)

I imagine Master Harbeo as a daydreaming decadent who keeps busy tutoring the young elite of Gramheim, so perhaps it's possible he and Algernon crossed paths, with the slightly older half-elf being an early, influential teacher (though probably more libertine and, especially now, potentially at odds due to his newfound vampirism). I really dig the idea he writes 'dark penny dreadfuls' under a nom de plume, too.

Grin being forced to shoot his father is a nice touch. Very Wild West.

Hendwick's family being nomads turned shopkeepers is also a neat idea.

The new additions look wonderful! We have a really diverse cast so far, I love it! c:

I like the alliteration going on with them.

Once you did, let me know ;) It's looking good so far.

In any case I have to say that in spite of him being a bloodsucking vampire, he is actually the kind I'd include in this sort of story. Not a sadistic ancient monster, but a newly initiated one still very much in touch with his humanity.
Proofed and it's ready for a proper review, @Sini. I'm glad to hear he's to your liking so far! I tend to take a more grounded approach to my characters, no matter how fantastical. I find vampirism particularly interesting as it reads like a disease that forces one to endure great mental and emotional trauma to survive. That shift between mundane sanity to entirely different inspires me.
@Pellegrino @Tyrannosaurus Rekt @Raddum

I like the new additions, everybody. ;)

I imagine Master Harbeo as a daydreaming decadent who keeps busy tutoring the young elite of Gramheim, so perhaps it's possible he and Algernon crossed paths, with the slightly older half-elf being an early, influential teacher (though probably more libertine and, especially now, potentially at odds due to his newfound vampirism). I really dig the idea he writes 'dark penny dreadfuls' under a nom de plume, too.
I like the idea of Edwin as an early instructor to young Algernon. My approach the age of Edwin referenced the same charts @Shabriri shared. Point being, in terms of years into life both Edwin and Algernon are roughly similar. They're both a little more intellectual too, so I could honestly see them sharing a drink on occasion. He's undoubtedly more bohemian than Algernon might like, but the big concerns like his vampirism are of course kept hidden.

Yeah, you like the penny dreadfuls? This setting is similar to some personal projects I've done in the past and I know the odd idea will come to me that couldn't possibly fit into Edwin's world. I thought I could channel those little stories as penny dreadfuls in-game written by Edwin as Juinarto. Added fun considering this will give Edwin two identities he's doing his best to keep quiet. If nothing else, it's a little tool we can all use to enhance the atmosphere.

I feel a bit silly for saying it, but I'm having trouble interpreting the charts Shabriri shared. Do I need to adjust my character's age?

I feel a bit silly for saying it, but I'm having trouble interpreting the charts Shabriri shared. Do I need to adjust my character's age?
Half-elves mature just five years later than full humans but get about double the lifespan before they reach what they consider middle age (60s to a human's 30s). So if you want Hemlock on the younger end, maybe shave off 20 years. But if he's closer to his midlife, you're fine.

• Thank You
Reactions: kixinorbit
Ah, okay. I'm fairly unfamiliar with D&D/Pathfinder, so I've always just sort of used a take on LotR races/lore.

I'll get back to this when I'm not on my phone.

Thanks for the info!

Okay, looking at those charts again, they make a bit more sense if I'm not trying to factor in the dice(?) rolls and just use the age-references, and I aged Hemlock down a few years. He's more of a three-quarter elf than a half elf, but I feel like that's just nuance.

My intention was to have him be close-ish to middle-age. I often tend toward rather wisened characters, so I wanted to go with someone a bit less worldly but not necessarily someone too young. That isn't to say Hemlock doesn't have his own brand of wisdom, as he surely does, but he has a lot less experience with people and the wider world as a whole. Ideally, I'd like him at a point where he's been exposed to the negatives of society long enough that he's hovering between a life that would lead him to become something of a lonely, bitter hermit or learning that society isn't all that bad, and that he may somehow fit into it.

Last edited:
Reactions: dreamshell
I like the idea of Edwin as an early instructor to young Algernon. My approach the age of Edwin referenced the same charts @Shabriri shared. Point being, in terms of years into life both Edwin and Algernon are roughly similar. They're both a little more intellectual too, so I could honestly see them sharing a drink on occasion. He's undoubtedly more bohemian than Algernon might like, but the big concerns like his vampirism are of course kept hidden.

Yeah, you like the penny dreadfuls? This setting is similar to some personal projects I've done in the past and I know the odd idea will come to me that couldn't possibly fit into Edwin's world. I thought I could channel those little stories as penny dreadfuls in-game written by Edwin as Juinarto. Added fun considering this will give Edwin two identities he's doing his best to keep quiet. If nothing else, it's a little tool we can all use to enhance the atmosphere.

I think we're on the same page. ;)

It would be amusing to see titles and references, and maybe even passages of various works by 'Juinarto' dropped here and there in-game, too. Before comic books, junk TV, and violent movies and video games, dreadfuls and other 'decadent' literature were the lightning rod of their day in terms of inciting moral panic and outrage. So while I imagine Algernon has little interest in them, I'd be willing to bet his sister Carmella gobbles that stuff up.

It would be amusing to see titles and references, and maybe even passages of various works by 'Juinarto' dropped here and there in-game, too.
I second this.

Yeah. I just used my PH for 5e DnD and did Grin's age. So, he's like just NOW considered mature in the magical world of dwarves. And he's got like 300 or so more years... you know if he doesn't get shot, cirrhosis of the liver, lung cancer, or get his face blown off by his own job. You know. The usual.

And I'm always open for people to have a past relationship with him... however minor. He's probably not the best character for people to be bffs with (as per the usual, I've created a character that isn't very likable), but he can definitely have working relationships or very poor relationships with people.
Heh! That's something I was hoping to hear, actually. Hendwick himself finds it hilarious, so a little irritation caused by such a thing is intended. Though Hendwick himself isn't racist, or at least he doesn't try to be. A little mockery of Dwarves used as a joke will probably end up getting him into trouble at some point, though... Thankfully he's good at the aftermath of fightin' words.
I figure Grin won't be too sore about it, especially considering that Hendwick doesn't describe himself as such. And if he does, Grin'll probably shame him a bit... if only to get a free drink. He isn't much of a brawler, so he won't push his luck.

Grin being forced to shoot his father is a nice touch. Very Wild West.
Yeah. I was listening to a lot of gothic country. Shit seems to go down for everyone in those songs. And while I hate unnecessary melodrama in character biographies, some bad things are bound to happen in people's lives. Especially in this sort of world.

I try to come up with tagnames for all.
Grudging Gunsmith. Has a nice ring to it. Though he does enjoy his gunsmithing work. He is very reluctant about a lot of other things... like being honest. XD

I figure Grin won't be too sore about it, especially considering that Hendwick doesn't describe himself as such. And if he does, Grin'll probably shame him a bit... if only to get a free drink. He isn't much of a brawler, so he won't push his luck.

Heh. Hendwick certainly doesn't, unless he's responding to someone else who did such a thing as to play along for his amusement. If it's a drink Grin desires, it's a drink the man will get. That is, if Hendwick hasn't already spent every last bit of money he has. Hopefully he can get it put on his tab...?

Not that he hasn't paid for his drinks in full up until now, but the well goes dry eventually.

as per the usual, I've created a character that isn't very likable
I think all of the characters are likable in their own ways. Even if they're likable in not being particularly likable.

That said, are people interested in hammering out a few details with who knows whom and whatnot?

I'm asking mostly from a point of wanting to know about other characters-- as it's unlikely Hemlock knows anyone on a first-name basis.

Last edited:
Yeah. I was listening to a lot of gothic country. Shit seems to go down for everyone in those songs. And while I hate unnecessary melodrama in character biographies, some bad things are bound to happen in people's lives. Especially in this sort of world.
I love me some Gothic country/gothabilly and/or bluegrass. Ever listen to Dezperadoz, Ghoultown, The Coffinshakers, or Th' Legendary Shack Shakers?