3. Intermediate
  4. Adept
  5. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Male
elijah-sage-asset.jpg

@Jessica2477 @Quiet One @Wolfsbane706 @ChrisClark13 @FrozenOcelot @Ur Degaton @Jhuton

Cornelia - the metropolis that dominated the majority of the expanse in the nation of the same name. It spanned the full center of the landmass, named Asteria. Erected many generations ago by the White-Gold Dragon and Onyx Wyvern bloodlines, it serves as a barrier between Zann and Sanctuary who, after many centuries of peace, had begun to get at each other's throats. While without a crystal, Cornelia's magictech and military might kept the empire and the kingdom from breaking into outright war. And given its central location, it had become a natural home for many explorers and adventurers, working on unlocking the secrets of the world.

~~~~~
Alren walked though the busy, bustling market near his home. Though dressed in his Skirmisher's armor and holding Vulcan by his side, the young Canidae wasn't expecting anything to happen until his training in a number of hours. His tail waved a little as he took in the scents of fresh-baked goods and cooking meals for stalls, as well as raw ingredients. Pausing, he looked around to see that he indeed had wandered into the culinary section of the market. Far from complaining, he took the time to go to a stall and grab a finger food to eat while continuing to explore the market.

• Ah Seen It
Reactions: Quiet One
Azrael was to put it lightly, pissed off. He had spent weeks traveling across the vast expanse of Cornelia, just to reach the capital in hopes of finding lucrative work. But when he arrived a few days ago, he went to every guild, tavern, and shady part of town he could find but nobody would hire him. Their reasoning? They said they don't hire quote unquote strangers. So what was he supposed to do? travel another month or so to another city that may or may not be as green and stuck up as the one he was in now? Yeah right, he'd rather be a grunt in the militia than ever traveling that far on foot again.

So there he was, looking at the bounty board in the market district in hopes of finding at least one bandit or debt evader that would fetch a decent price for capture. But so far, every bounty consisted of petty thugs that mugged people or delinquents that vandalized shops and windows.

Jim walked his usual path through the market board as he made his way to the food stalls. What was different about today was that he was decked out in his armor and gear, looking the part of an adventurer (or something like that) rather than just blending in with the crowd. After all, who else but an adventurer would be walking around in advanced weapons and armor?

That thought brought a grin to Jim's face as he got in line for a kebab stall. Well, it's not like he's planning on much else than going to the practice yards for today, but he might as well take a look at the bounty boards. Maybe he could take a look at hunting down a monster or some such.

A few minutes later, kebab in hand, he made his way to the boards. Hm, seems like there's already at least one other fellow in armor there already. Looks strong- well, he has a nice weapon at least. Most importantly, he hadn't seen them before so they probably didn't know about himself either.

@Ur Degaton

Jimothy walked up beside the person and began looking over the postings. Hm, looks like all the big ones had been taken already. "You know, I heard they're considering stopping the posting of small bounties like this. The general consensus is that in a city this big they're just not worth the trouble and that we're better off just letting the police handle them. Too many risks and not enough reward, something about you never know if some lowlife's part of a gang or packing heat or something like that. That and they're a royal pain to track down of course."

The usuals were out once again as Aria's eyes gazed across the passerbys, finding herself in a more shade covered stall of her own, The viera leaned back in her chair provided along with this stall as she tended to her tarot cards, shuffling them about, checking the condition and preparing them for her next visitor. Ocasionally the one person would stop by, glance over her and begin moving again but this was something she was used.

Having stopped for quite a while in Cornelia, The viera had decided to setup shop and offer her guidance and readings to those of interest. Many a kind soul who had stopped by her rather worn stall, walked away with a sense of knewfound knowledge, while some others however had called her out on being a con artist and demanded their money back, occasionally pulling a weapon before being subdued either by her own hand or the guards that decided to bother.

Leaning back in her again, she brings her planisphere up to her hand as it slowly begins, floating, starting to roate and cards circling the device, hearing some commotion from a few stalls down as the smell of food and goods graced her nose. As much as she wanted, she had to reserve her coin for more important matters like keeping her place in the city, eating and keep the fee up for her borrowed city stall to sell her services to those who desired it.

"Let us see what the stars have in store..." she says about to take a card but holding herself back continuing to let the cards orbit her planisphere "Or perhaps we let it remain unknown" she chuckles softly.

Luna was choosing to occupy her time at the local Enchanter's shop. After her last job--an unpaid job, to boot--her coat had become covered in blood for what was probably the hundredth time. People knew. People knew she would kill employers who wouldn't pay her after a job was finished, so why oh why did some insist on refusing payment? This last case was particularly bad. Not only did they try to cheat her, they'd tried to kill her! And so, after killing her client and her client's thugs, she'd decided to get her coat enchanted with a "Cleanliness" enchantment. Something, anything to keep it clean in a fight.

"How much for one of those Clean-shirt enchants?" she asked the Enchanter, tossing her coat on the table.

"Under normal circumstances, I'd say a thousand creds," the enchanter said. "But since you're a sellsword and a regular customer, I'll give you a discount. Seven-fifty." Luna nodded and pulled a bag from her coat's pocket.

"Everything I took off of my last unpaid client," she said, tossing the bag onto the coat. "Keep the change. I'll wait in the lobby." The "lobby" in question being just a small room with chairs next to the front door. Luna took her seat on the chair nearest the door and kept her hand on Bolero's ivory-coated handle in case things were to go awry.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Mythy the Dragon-Wolf
Suddenly, Alren would find a hand over his eyes and a gun at his back. He'd feel the breath of someone leaning close, and in a familiar, playful whisper someone say "Guess who."

Once he knew who it was Ohli hopped back and pocketed her gun, laughing to herself at her own little prank. Her tail curled and twitched as she nudged against him. "Just think of it; once you've mastered your training I might never get to sneak up on you again." Saying that out loud, Ohli's playful smirk fell a bit, subsiding with distance and loneliness. But it only passed for a second, and she was back with her veneer of giddy confidence. "Anyway, let's get some grub."

While walking about the market with her friend Alren many thoughts played out. He was her only friend. Only friend she could trust not to betray her for some coin, anyway. Too honorable. She never got around to learning how honor worked. In her experience it didn't, so...she was distracted when she spotted a job board and two people looking at it. Bounty hunters? It didn't matter if they were or not; she could see her face on one of the papers. Partly obscured by one of the other fliers, and taken when she was about two years younger, but still recognizable.

"Hey, Alren? Want to get us something to eat? Like a few kebabs? I know you don't like me just stealing them, so I'll hang here," she said to her friend, giving him a pat on the shoulder and bright smile.

---

@Ur Degaton, @ChrisClark13
Ohli walked up to the job board and towards the two men standing there. As tempting as it was to show up these hunters by separating them from their money, the old bump-and-grab was the oldest trick in the book. If they'd traveled more than 1000 yards in their entire lives they'd be wise to that trick.

"Excuse me," she said, stepping through to where her picture was and leaning close to the board so her body obscured her poster. She smoothly grabbed her poster and crumbled it up, pulling it off the board without a violent tug. "Forgive me. I'm a local around here and...works been tough even for us. Too peaceful, I guess," she chuckled at them. "Some of these are pretty old, and none of them are that high, but one more night with a full stomach is better than nothing, right?" While there she poked at a wanted poster at random. "Mm...I think I'll look for this one. Good luck on your own, boys."

With that she walked away to meet up with Alren again, hopefully with some food.

'Was it here...? Or was it supposed to be... Boooo, where am I going?'

Celestia looked over her map again, turning it in her hands and angling it but to no avail. She was trying to read the smudges of red on the paper that was made a while ago to mark her search but a strange puddle dampened her map on the way there, blurring out a few cities and basically making it useless. Sure Celestia could have used other means of navigation, but it was something about being able to hold the paper in her hands that made the journey just a tad bit better. It was like reading a physical book rather over watching a play.

She did her best regardless of the blurry mess, but eventually, the warrior had to admit defeat. Celestia sighed in frustration and crumpled the map, tossing it away in a nearby bin and decided that she would have to stay in this strange town for the evening. She could spend the night in an inn and get a new, better map to continue her journey to Cornelia.

Now... What town was she in again?

She looked around the market area, searching for people that didn't look too busy to talk to her. At the least, they could tell her where she was so she could work her way from there to Cornelia.

However, it seemed like no one was willing to deal with a random stranger. That, or they didn't hear her.

She decided to go to the closest shop to her and stepped inside to its lobby.

Her eyes fell on a pretty young woman with blond hair and green eyes; she looked helpful.

"Oi, where am I, city-wise?" She asked.

@Wolfsbane706

@Quiet One

For a mere moment, Alren had growled and slipped a hand onto Vulcan's hilt before taking a whiff of the air. He then smiled and spoke. "Ohli, you know this is dangerous. Someone might call the guards." He hummed a little and would wait for her to back off before turning around and facing her. He didn't say anything else, but as they began to walk he bumped into her side every once in a while, but if questioned would chalk it up to the crowded market.

Once she asked him to get some food, he smiled and nodded before heading out to a kebab stall. It took a few minutes to grab a quad of the sticks, two for each. He looked back and noticed she had walked off, ending up intercepting her before she left the bounty board.

+ @Ur Degaton @ChrisClark13

"Hey. Made some new friends?" He asked, handing her two kebabs to her. "Looking for something to do? If nothing there interests you, there's always sparring tournaments to be found. My family's hosting one today, actually." The Jade-Wolf smiled at the two mercenaries as he took a bite of the first cut of meat.

Reactions: Quiet One
@ChrisClark13

Azrael was slightly startled at the newcomer's sudden introduction but nevertheless gave him his attention. It wasn't everyday a stranger had the courage to speak to him as his armor usually made people think twice.

"As far as I'm concerned, any job is better than none. This place is pretty tightly knit so all of my attempts to find work has proven fruitless. I guess you could say this city doesn't like mercenaries, paid killers, assassins, or any type of shady business ventures," He told the young Canidae in his gravely and deep voice.

@Quiet One

As he conversed with the young man another equally young stranger approached them. This stranger was Felindae and was just as slick as one, casually tearing off a poster of what he assumed to be related to her. Great, a sneaky one, He thought to himself as the female quickly spoke to them before walking away. Not giving Azrael a chance to respond.

@Mythy the Dragon-Wolf

Before he could turn back to the Artificer he was speaking with yet another stranger smiled at them. He began to get an odd feeling from the whole situation. As if he was being targeted by these people. It wouldn't be the first time someone put a bounty on his head. He wouldn't even be surprised if the entire crowd consisted of fellow mercanaries that were after his head.

@Ur Degaton

Jim shrugged and a small smile of amusement lit upon his face, "Of course, that kind of attitude's why they bother with keeping the small bounties posted. Just in case some's desperate, or civic-minded, enough to bother. That and it lets people know who to look out for. I hear if you want to snag a 'real' bounty you have to camp out here before dawn- that or bribe or make friends with the guys who post the things..." he trailed off as he watched a felindae girl walk up to them, chat, grab a poster, then walk off...

"Speaking of people to watch out for," he muttered under his breath, hopefuly loud enough for just the man in armor to hear once the girl had walked away, "tiger characteristics are a bit... distinctive don't you think?"

"Anyways, about what she said about being a local. I may not look like it in this getup, but I'm a local too and I've been looking into how all the bounty board, both the criminal and monster ones, work for a while now. I do have a real workshop I work at, but a shooting range's no real place to test an invention you know?" he said casually.

Then he began to go off on a tangent and start rambling, "Oh yeah, and the way the 'small bounties aren't worth it' math works out is that they don't give you enough to get by for more than a couple days unless you want to live like some anti-materialistic monk. Of course, in a place this big, I heard it takes on average five-to-four days to track someone down- and that's if you're good at it. See, the math just doesn't work out! I hear, the way to live off of small bounties is to either have some special ability, connections, whatever so that you can effectively nab multiple at once. That or bust gangs. In which case, you might not even get paid more than minimum for the captures if the gangers haven't even been convicted of anything yet!"

He gets excitably animated as he keeps rambling, "I figure the real way to go is to hunt monsters! There's almost always someone needing twenty direbear asses or some dangerous beast removed or such, but damn if those hunting licenses aren't expensive! If it wasn't for, and it's just something I've heard of course- but if it wasn't for the recent 'natural resource and monster conversation' movement then those licenses wouldn't have had such a price hike! I even hear they're demanding captures of all rare monsters which is, of course, very dangerous!"

"Why, I heard that just last month there was an incident... I forget what exactly escaped... some kind of lightning beast? No... it was weather related though..." he starts snapping his fingers then stops as he notices that the tiger felindae is still around- and has a canidae friend.

@Quiet One @Mythy the Dragon-Wolf

That had just finished speaking.

His mouth hung open for a moment as he tried to mentally backtrack and remember what they had just said. Then he just sighed in defeat, "I'm sorry, were you talking to me? Could you repeat that? Er... something about a tournament I believe?"

Luna subtly pulled the hammer back on Bolero when she heard the door open, only to uncock the pistol once the raven-haired elf girl asked her question.

"You're in Cornelia," she said, taking her hand off of her pistol. "Why do you need to know?" Before she could receive an answer, the Enchanter came out with Luna's coat.

"Enchanting finished," the Enchanter said. "Are you certain there's nothing else I can do for you?" Luna calmly slipped her coat on and adjusted it carefully so Cassian and Bolero were easily accessible.

"Nope," she said. "Everything's fine." Luna turned back to face the elf girl with the ridiculous axe slung over her back. "Now. Your name, please, and why you're here in Cornelia?" Yes it was a little forward, but no, Luna din't care. She wanted to know. Consider it a way of asking for introductions. She still didn't care.

@Jessica2477

"Thankyou, may the stars guide your way~" Aria nodded providing another customer with a reading as the handed her their coin. Slipping it into her pouch. Standing from her chair, she stretches feeling a slight crack in her back as she had been in the markets for a rather long few hours. Her mind was focusing toward food and her stomach was agreeing with a slight rumble following soon after.

Making her way from the stall and toward the upper marketm she was enticed by all the smells her nose quickly picked up. meats, bread, fruits, it all smelled wonderful to her and it was hard enough not to go over her budget day to day. Settling on a bread stall, she ordered a few rolls that were placed into a bag for her. Deciding to eat while on the move, she paid quickly and moved on less she be tempted by other foods. The market was bustling and lively and rarely was it ever not unless it happened to be a specific event or holiday.

"Excuse me miss, you seem to know your crystals, May I interest you in a few additions from outside ?"

Aria's ear happened to perk up as her attention was brought to a man attempting to entice her with your run of the mill charms and necklaces decorated with a few little items to seem like they were worth more than they seemed. Rolling her eye subtley for a moment, she took a step towards the stall looking down and examining the wears. "You say these are from the outside...and while some are, most of these are rather crudely crafted..." She said picking up said item and examining it closely with her eye.

"I assure you miss these are genuine~ Now that I've got your attention, your pouch if you will~"

The viera raised her eye as she felt a pointed tip resting against her back. An accomplice of the merchant stood behind her like someone waiting in line. She stood back up straight as she looked at the merchant as she sighed softly "You know this wouldnt happen if you worked for a livi-" She was quickly silenced by another jab at her back.

"Pouch. Now. Unless you wanna settle this by other means~" He chuckled giving a wink to her which got a slight chuckle out of her causing the merchant to raise his eye.

The viera shook her head as she smiled "The offer is appreciated but I will decline. I'll also be taking both your coins~" She smiled looking back at the one holding her at knife point.

"what in the seven hells are you talki-" before the merchant could even finish, the Viera elbowed her attacker from behind in the gut causing the knife to fall to the ground with a clang against the floor before throwing the attacker forward into the stall causing a loud crash and collpasing the wooden table and all that rested on it. Aria stepping on and over her attacker from behind, leaned down meeting the merchant face to very close face "Thankyou for your business~" She simply replied as a terrified man held up his pouch as she swiped it from his hand before taking the other off her attacker.

A few onlookers had gathered from the sudden ruckus that had transpired but soon carried on their business as Aria counted what surprisingly little there was in both pouches "not even enough to cover a stall. Tsk" she tutted and shooker head as she moved down the market path soon back to enjoying her morning bread rolls.

@Mythy the Dragon-Wolf, @Ur Degaton, @ChrisClark13
Ohli started to grow uneasy as she noticed that the human was quite a bit more observant than the Canidae. She couldn't be completely certain, but she was sure he had spotted her taking her poster down. She determined herself to put some distance between them, hopefully using Alren as cover when she got far enough. The Canidae at least got excited enough about the prospect of monster hunting that she would probably be out of his memory soon...

Then Arlen came back with the kebabs. Damn it. Such a sweet boy, but now she couldn't get away from these two hunters. She smiled and took the offered kebabs.

"Sort of," she answered in reply to making new friends. "Well, I did see...you know what? Yeah. Tournament sounds a bit more fun than hunting some lowlife." She smiled at the other Canidae. "Forgot all about the tournament. I actually wasn't thinking about partaking..." it wouldn't be a good idea for her to show off in public. But maybe with her face off the board she could unwind a little now.

"Celestia."

She answered the stranger's questions out of order. Really she was too busy being wary about the pistol that was in the other woman's hand. Well, Celestia knew how to dodge; if it came to fighting for whatever reason, then she would fight...

Wait.

Cornelia? Did she say she was in Cornelia?

Celestia's eyes lit up a little at the realization, a sense of happiness swarming her body. She was here! Great! Now she didn't have to get another map and keep figuring out where she was going~

Oh, right. The lady asked another question.

"I heard there was a rare... magical item in Cornelia and I wanted to see if the rumors were true. Are you gonna tell me your name and why you're in Cornelia too, or is that that?"

@Wolfsbane706

RIKIS-NU
"A tour-n'-mnt?"

Spoken as a true member of the elite: with kebab-meat in their mouth.

Together, they were three, tucked in midst the throng of pedestrians and stalls. Mulal was offhand, on-guard, under an overhang; he was statuesque enough that crowd members picked around his crab-red form, perhaps out of fear; those gold shark-like eyes kept deathly vigil of the party's possessions. Meanwhile, Rikis-nu would rather ponder their now-empty skewer before the parchment page thrust upon them, aloof to the accumulating turmoil of their audience: Mulgir, the Ever-Loyal, eyes jolting from page to his superior to page again.

He insisted, "The tournament is run by one of the ruling illustrious families of Cornelia. I-it's – annual? Monthly? Biannual? – either way, verily, run with enough regularity to attract combatants of considerable portfolios."

Hm, went Rikis-nu, but the page was thrust into their hand all the same.

Mulal's ruddy face broke into a smile, naturally sheepish, though trying for something colluding, "in-on-it." "I need not to mention your personal interests to which attendance would work in– verily, the Jade Wolfs could spare a second with your scaliness, i-in the interest of politics! And, verily–"

And, in the foreground, there was an explosion of short-lived violence. A stand collapsed from the force of a flung human form; goods flew into the air, those of the sharpened-stone variety. It so happened the victim closest was Mulgir who even in his chain-mail shrieked –

– the crystals bouncing off inches before his face, dissuaded by a spiral of sparkling mist.

Rikis-nu withdrew his hand and the spell. "Are you alright?" he asked.

His knight stepped out from behind him and stammered back, "Of course, your scaliness– surely it would take more than a touch of rough-housing to ruin your right-hand man!"

"In that case–" In a fluid motion, they would take the parchment between two pinched hands and, verily, demolish it. Now, an heir on a mission, they kicked into step, the two halves fluttering in their wake past a Mulgir left paralyzed in distress.

"...'tis what I think about that."

Mulal was thrusting himself through the crowd likewise. The magic might have attracted further attention, but a seven-foot, bare-breast pugilist, shark-tail slithering behind him like a python – eyes redirected.

They called, "Excuse me!" to the back of the vieren woman leaving the scene. Swathed neck to naval in an unremarkable tunic, their bottom half the typical mage fare, they would tap her on the shoulder, taking on a kiddishness as they swayed with their arms tucked behind them. "You're the hit-and-run type, ain't 'cha? I was hoping someone knew this city better than I did.

"Do you know where I could put up an offer? Maybe a guild, or a job board…?"

Last edited by a moderator:
< @Quiet One @Ur Degaton @ChrisClark13 >

Alren frowned a little when he realized that he had been pretty much totally ignored by the two others, ears going very slightly flat. But he quickly perked back up and nodded. "Yeah, a sparring tournament, so nothing deadly." he hummed a little in thought. "My family, the Jade-Wolf bloodline is hosting today's. It's really a way to get names out there, and people love to see skilled fighters." he hummed with a shrug, though before he could continue there was a ruckus in the market. He frowned and dropped his kebab sticks, pulling out Vulcan in knife form. When he arrived at the scene, he looked between the two standing there and the two on the ground.

<+ @FrozenOcelot @thempress >

"What happened here?" he asked, weapon held cautiously but not threateningly. "As a member of the Jade-Wolf bloodline, I would ask that none of you attempt to leave the scene before the guards can arrive." he said, nodding to them. Though he was not of a bloodline that founded Cornelia, it was still part of his responsibility to defend the city.