The Consequence of Saving

Everything was moving fast. Very fast. Too fast. It started when Ferah decided to give her life for the future of Gestolan. She took a deep breath and then recited the chant of the Miheth clan with no remorse. The walls of the temple reacted to her voice and the ancient words. The last thing Ferah saw was a crumbling rock of the temple roof flying down towards her. Her fuscia eyes gazed upwards at her death which crept nearer and nearer to her before she heard a sound in the distance. Before she could make out what it was in her ears, her body was lurched away from the falling rocks of the Temple of Ulm. The lights in the walls had died out and Ferah was snatched high into the air.

The speed of her ascending caused her to scream and to shut her eyes tightly. She had no idea what was going. Was this apart of her death? Was she experiencing a vision of some sort? Or...was this all real? She could feel the wind lapping at her hair, causing it to slap across her cheeks, stinging them slightly. If she could feel something then she was obviously still alive. Ferah felt herself being held in a strong grip by what seemed like...a metal arm. Opening her eyes, Ferah looked behind her to see great wings flapping behind her. She followed the wings until she saw the coated armor of...

"Cassa...del...?"she whispered, looking up at his helmet.

Sir Cassadel had no idea, what to say.
Should he ask what that was all about?
Maybe tell about the images?
It could be bad if he told her that she should not scare him like that.
Perhaps, he can tell her how happy he is to see her.
Any of these could certainly be a decent conversation starter.
The truth is maybe he didn't need to say anything.
It was obvious that he saved her, because Cassadel had a connection to her.
With all the talk of not letting people close, Ferah slipped past his armor.
However, THAT is a conversation for another sunset.

His arms squeezed her sincerely.
Slowly, the wing movement allow them to float to the green, green grass.
Spirit whinnied and stomp her hooves.
It almost seemed like the horse was happy to see Ferah.
The wings disappeared, with the short walk across the yard.
Cassadel's head turned slightly to look down at his little dove.
Finally putting her down on Spirit, he sighed.
The horse started to follow him down the road.

Ferah was sitting on top of Spirit's back. Quite awkwardly, she may add. Only short seconds ago, Ferah was nearing the end of her life. Now, she was slowly riding on the back of a beautiful white mare. Cassadel hadn't said one word to her since he saved her. Whether that was a good thing she did not yet know, but there was little she could do about it then. It was over. It was all over. Cassadel had saved her from the tumbling Temple and now, Gestolan would...Gestolan would...

"What have you done...?"she whispered behind Spirit's mane. The horse neighed but didn't give her the answer she was looking for. The day time was starting to heat up as beams of light pelted on top of her silver hair. Tears were burning the crevices of her eyes as she scoweled angrily. Her hands shook and tremble but she still maintained a grip on the reigns.

"What...have...you...DONE?!"she snapped, closing her eyes and yelling out loudly.

Cassadel waited a moment, before answering.
He didn't want to rush his words.
Ferah was in an unstable place.
The ache in her voice was heard.
Though he still didn't know if she could understand.

"I am breaking a cycle of wrong doing. There is something off, in all of this. Sacrificing a young.....beautiful woman should not be the way to find peace." he declared

He turned his head.
Were these the right words?
By the gods, the knight had no idea.

"There is always a better way. Peace should not mean death."

A response was preparing to come from the girls lips but, of course, she was cut short of opening her mouth. Ferah was just about to spew her angry slur off enraged words and phrases when the ground below them began to tremble. It shook with the force of 3 great earthquakes beneath their feet. So much to the point where even trees swayed in an off balanced manor. The first one to lose their mind was Spirit. The poor horse was merely prodding along before the earth beneath them tremored wildly. She let out a loud whinny and even went as far as to stomp the ground in defiance, as if the stops would soothe the shaking. Ferah was rocked wildly from the horse but she held onto the reigns as best as she could.

"This...is what...I was trying...to avoid!"she yelled from atop of the ravishing white horse. All around her the trees were bending and branches could be heard snapping and shattering each way around her. Cassadel seemed to be maintaining a stable hold on his ground, but not for long.

Then...it happened.

CRRRRAAAAACCCK.

The ground beneath them was severing in two. Bad thing is, Both Spirit and Ferah were on opposite sides of Cassadel. Ferah reached a hand out for him and shouted his name.

Somehow, this didn't suprise Sir Cassadel.
He was able to piece some of the images to together.
She may not understand it yet...but this was the right thing to do.
It would set things in motion.
Things that could change the world, beyond war and consequences.
Clearly this was a set back, however.
The intent was to save and now they might be lost anyways.
Earth shattering is never a good sign.
What worse was that be was about half a step from potential oblivion.

"Ferah!" he yelled.

His hand reached for her.
Spirit watched, in horror.

The world was severing itself down the middle in a tremendous ground shaking feat. Spirit was rocking back in forth in fear and aggravation, but her prodding would not do much against the deep and ancient magics of Gestolan. Ferah knew that something bad was soon to happen if she stayed aboard the mare for too long or something painful and bad was bound to happen. She leaped off of Spirit's back and ran to the edge of the severed land, still reaching her hand out for him.

"Cassadel! H-hang on!"she shouted. The rumbling made her voice shakey but it was loud enough for Cassadel to hear her. She felt that she had to do something to help him, but what? If he was trapped on the other side, he'd never be able to return with no items or means of transportation. The wings would help but they weren't there at the time. She was beginning to panic, just as Spirit was as well. Her eyes locked onto Cassadel...and she suddenly sprouted an idea.

"Jump...Cassadel, jump!"she commanded.

Cassadel was not about to let this end here.
It wasn't the time.
This wasn't the place.
He was given an order.

Yes my lady.

Quickly, he took a few steps back.
Trying not to think about anything, the knight ran and leaps across the forming crevice.
Whistles came out of the armor, as Cassadel soared.
It almost seemed, in slow motion.
All he could see was Ferah and Spirit.

Ferah had never used her powers for anything less than good. She did not like inflicting pain or using them without proper guidance. Bethal had known that she was the rare girl of the Miheth clan, that is why it hurt the old lady so much to send her off to the Temple. Ferah didn't mind thought. If it was to save Gestolan, she would do anything. Gestolan was now being severed in two, so now was a good time as any to use whatever powers she had in her body. Ferah could not fully control a person's body, and she did not think she could start now, but Cassadel was flying in mid-air, so she had to react fast!

Come on come on come on...

Reaching a hand out towards the sky, Ferah started to feel and detect every lining of the branches above her. It'd have to do. In one swoop, while the ground was still shaking madly, Ferah brought down her hand and willed her mind to break the tree. The entire tree. A deafening crack was heard behind her while she pushed her hand down and concentrated with all her might to bring the tree down over the large chasm beneath them before it got any larger.

There wasn't much an airborne man can do.
Cassadel was lost in his own thoughts.
It seemed as though everything was running on fumes.
All sound and sight seemed to mix together.
It was then the knight hit the tree.

"Hmph." he muttered.

Ferah had shown her improvising skills.
Though, they would have to talk about that later.
The land mass was becoming neighboring islands.
He stood up and ran down the broken wood to Ferah.

"We must make haste!"

Cassadel mounted Spirit and pulled Ferah up onto his lap.
A kick of his armor, they attempted an escape.
The environment was way to chaotic for people to just stand there.

The ride on Spirit was not a comfortable one, but it was necessary. Gestolan was crumbling because of the split. The split that both Ferah and Cassadel caused. Ferah believed that Cassadel deserved part, if not full blame for what was happening at that very moment. If he would have just let her crumble along with the Temple, Gestolan would be the fine, peaceful place it was before...this. The body of the Miheth Clan girl had to be corroded with the Temple in order to seal Gestolan together. One slip up...and the separation would begin.

Cassadel was the slip up.

"Where are we going to go?!" she shouted over the roaring of rocks and wind as Spirit sprinted through the forest, The horse seemed all too anxious to get out of the chaos and back to normality that was Hydrena. But where would they go? A feeling of fear and nasuea settled at the bottom of Ferah's stomach and wasn't being helped by riding on Spirit. I can't go back to Bethal...She would know that I didn't...She may already know I didn't go through with it! Ferah felt like dying at that moment, even more than she did when she was in Ulm.

"I...I don't want to go home!"she shouted aloud.

Cassadel was a man that stood by convictions.
Though, this one wasn't actually thought through.
He made a quick choice.
Whether it ultimately worked out or otherwise was not important.
His morals were conflicted, but there were more things to worry about.
For now, he had to get Ferah to safety.

Her questions had him at odds with himself.
The knight didn't exactly have a steady place of residence, now.
It was on the other side of the large self-forming channel.
They had to figure something out, later.

"We will go, anywhere that is safe. For now, I think we should get to safety." he yelled back.

Spirit rode away, hard.
Slowly, the mayhem seemed to be cut off.
The distance was the cause of this.
In another few moments, they could rest easy.

Safety? There was safety somewhere?

The rumbling was dying down quickly. It was a depressing thought. The dying down only meant that the split was finally complete. Where the Temple of Ulm rested only minutes ago was now most likely a giant chasm of darkness and abyss. Once the Zarlons and Hydrenians discovered this miraculous thing, they were bound to ready their arms for war. Every villager, shop tender, old mage, wise ranger around Gestolan would form up in the two, now separated, lands and fight for power.

"Okay. Just make sure it is somewhere where there isn't a lot of people around. I especially don't want to be around anyone at this moment..."
she said sadly, lowering her head like a small puppy that got into something it had no business belonging in. The people of Hydrena were bound to know that Ferah was a Miheth girl by the color of her hair and eyes. Silver and pink? That was a unique pair. When they would lays eyes on her, she could only imagine all of the words they would slang her way.

Traitor...coward... deceiver...

Spirit's strides got smaller and smaller.
They were in the clear.
Though, they were now in a prairie.
An open prairie without a whole lot of wildlife.
It was rather empty.
Stopping on the edge, near some trees, Spirit layed down.
Cassadel felt his feet touch the ground.
His hands wrapped around Ferah.

"My lady....it's over." he said softly.

He could she that her mind was rocked with many thoughts.
Maybe she needed comfort?
So he held her close, in an attempt to ease out the world.

Once Spirit finally came to a spot in the clearing, Ferah felt that is she was finally allowed to breathe. She had been holding her breath for most of the ride in an attempt that she may have killed herself from lack of air. But there was nothing Ferah could do anymore. Her mission was a complete and utter failure. Suicide was not going to help. Besides, she would probably be castrated by the people of Hydrena or Zarlom anyway. Ferah was glad that Spirit's strides slowly turned into trots until she eventually came into a complete stop. The clearing was the safest place the horse could find and the rumbling was down to a mere minimum. It was safe for her and Cassadel to get off of Spirit now, which they did.

However, once Ferah's feet touched the blades of grass Cassadel grabbed her into a tight hold, keeping her stationary there. She gasped as a blush lit her cheeks in surprise in embarrassment. Was he scared at the turn of events? She didn't know if he was condoling her or needed to be condoled, but nevertheless, she did not move at all. A gust of wind passed through the tiny space between them as her silver hair whipped wildly about her shoulders while she stood in place. She felt as if she should say something...anything!

"I...I'm...I'm..."but nothing would come out. Nothing but the stuttering of her throat as tears welled in her eyes.

They almost lost their lives.
A day like that will be remembered.
It couldn't be helped.
Cassadel and Ferah would now have a connection forever.
He could feel it in the air.

He could also feel Ferah's sadness, with her tears and studder.
Slowly, his hands moved position.
One being to Ferah's cheek.
The other to the bottom of his helmet.
It was long enough.
She needed to know the face of her defender.
The metal clanked, with the quick ground meeting.
His eyes were closed.
Pressing his forehead, against hers, he opened them to reveal the saturated blue hue.

brown_hair_blue_eyes.jpg

"My lady...what is it?" he whispered

Ferah was at a extreme loss for words. Cassadel had sweetly put his hand on her cheek which was streaming with tears. Of course, she did not want him to know of her emotional state, but she had enough of holding things in. It was time to let it all out. So she did, grabbing onto his arm and bawling her eyes out. All the while, Spirit had traveled off somewhere to graze on the grass while Cassadel held her. She hiccuped and tried to tell him that she was in no need of comfort or stability, but the only thing she heard in response was the clank of his helmet.

Ferah's pink eyes opened up through the salty, stinging tears, gazing down on upon the grass and the helmet that was lying along the green bed. The wind was pushing the blades around and they danced in the sweet waltz of nature. The helmet looked rusted and out of place on the pure grass that lay under it. Ferah was now taking in slow breaths while her head and eyes traveled upwards to peer upon his face. A dazzling shine of blue met her eyes while the blanket of brown hair on his head swayed along in the wind as her silver hair did the same. A light blush was visible through the thin streaks of her tears as she looked up at him.

"It's...It's nothing. I'm alright now."she whispered, blushing harder before she turned away from him, wiping vigorously at her eyes. she had no idea that he was that handsome! Why in the world would he keep that horrid helmet on if his real appearance was this all along!? She laughed to herself before bursting out into a fit of laughter, turning around to smile at him.

"Yes. Nothing is wrong at all."she said, a single tear streaming down her cheek

ferahsmilee.jpg

He was confused at her change in mood.
It was almost seemed like his helmet turned into a sudden metaphor.
The shedding of the skin to reveal something new.
Thankfully, the new skin included blushing and laughter.
It was a good sign of the future.

"Glad to hear it, my lady."

Cassadel took her into his arms again.

"Can't be sure if you need it....but I am grateful to know you are happy."

He squeezed her tightly.
This was what he was made to do.
Protection was his duty.
Caring was his choice.

"I was so scared, to lose you." he whispered

Exhaling, the knight took a quick gaze into her beautiful eyes.
Slowly, he leaned in and kissed her cheek.
It seemed like a good time to show that there was a spot in his heart.
Letting her go, Cassadel picked up his helmet and walked off.

She didn't understand! She just understand!

Cassadel was just supposed to be her guide! Her DEATH Guide at that! But why was he showing all of these..strange signs of affection every so often? Kissing her cheek? Saving her life? Holding her close? He did it all just to walk silently away with his horse! The worse part was that those little pieces of affection was effecting Ferah in the strangest of ways! She would blush, shudder, shake, and stare wildly into the atmosphere. It all didn't make any sense to her, especially after she had just witness the splitting of Gestolan only moments before!

However, there was nothing she could do but follow.

After his lips had left her cheek and he whispered his words of worry, Ferah was sure that she would faint into the light green grass beneath her. Her mind was somewhere high in the clouds, and her heart throbbed wildly against the walls of her chest. However, in reality, Cassadel was only her guide. At first, to her death. And now, to her home... Ferah sighed sadly and followed with no word, looking to the ground.

He barely heard her sigh.
At first, it was nothing.
Looking back, Ferah was looking to the ground.
It was as if he had forgotten something, but what?
Cassadel had done of these things to comfort her and keep her safe.
Yet, she still sunk into sadness.
There was definitely things left unsaid.
Why wouldn't she say them?
Finally, he decided to end it once and for all.
The knight bit his lip and turned to her.

"My lady...I don't know what it is...but I always see you down and I try my best to cheer you up. Happiness seems to break whenever I walk away. Though I don't mean to...I feel like I have to. There are few things I care for...but Ferah...you are one of them. You seen and felt the things I can do to keep it. It just feels like I leave with less resistance than I had before. I want to keep you safe."

His face had grown red in embarrassment.
He wasn't the long, love speech guy.
Shyly, steps were taken to bring them closer together.

"But...I can't promise that the world will be happy sunshine and rainbows....what I do promise is that I will want you with me. I may protect you....but you protect my heart. I love you, Ferah."

Shutting his eyes hard, Sir Cassadel kissed Ferah.