The College Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kyle let their lips mingle, before he pulled back to let them breathe. He smiled, his eyes half lidded, "Now, it was perfect." He grinned.

He pulled away finally and Bailey dipped her head with a smile. "I'm inclined to agree." She said, hands still linked behind his neck.

A few weeks past, and Kyle was being such a great boyfriend. He was everything a girl for hope for. He would pay for their dates, he was understanding when she had to study. It was certainly a dream come true. Not to mention, Ran was completely enthusiastic about the entire arrangement. Often, she would come over, begging Bailey to give up all the details about her relationship with the Hot King - her official new nickname for Kyle.

Today, Kyle happened to be busy with some family business. He kissed her goodbye the previous night, and had to go drive back home. Something about his older sister having her baby soon.

While Bailey was in the middle of waking up to do whatever routine she does in the morning, she receives a text from someone. It was from Luce, the boy she met a few weeks ago in the library.

Luce - Do you happen to like hot peppermint mocha?

Bailey was more than content with Kyle as a boyfriend. He was an excellent date, made sure she had time for her studies and even hung out with her friends. He'd gone so far as to introduce her to some of his own as well, which was something Ran would be sure to enjoy once Bailey worked her magic on one of the single ones. She almost felt like she was bragging when Ran asked for the details.

Kyle had gone home the night before, leaving Bailey with plenty of time to study for an upcoming test and work on a paper that had a due date that was creeping up on her.

She was putting on her makeup when she got a text from Luce. She hadn't forgot about the boy, she'd just never had a chance to send him a text.

Bailey - I do indeed. It's been a while since I had one, tho

Luce had set out that morning to get himself a cup of coffee from Starbucks. It has been a brutal week, with all the assignments and tests being thrown at him from all sorts of direction. People had warned him about taking so many advanced classes, but he didn't believe them. Now, he was regretting every choice he made.

He ordered his holiday favorite: ice peppermint mocha, with an extra shot of espresso just so he can have that caffeine. But unfortunately, they mixed up his drink with a hot version. He was never a big fan of hot drinks, even in the cold weather, so Starbucks decided to give him his actual order for free.

But it's not like he could drink two drinks. Luce was in a small crisis, was he going to throw it away? It was such a waste of good coffee though... So, he looked through his contact list to see who on campus would like it. Bailey, with her name starting with B, was one of the first names he encountered.

Luce - Cool, I have one in my hands right now - got an extra on accident. Where are you?

Bailey was somewhat amused with the reason that Luce came up with to contact her. How did someone end up with two drinks? Oh well, if he was offering she was more than willing to take him up on that. She needed to get into something a little less dorm-room-only, though.

Bailey - I'm at the dorms on Adams. Did you want to meet or..?

She didn't want him to have to go out of his way on her account, but it was kind of cold so if he wanted to hang out in the dorm lounge, then more power to him, there'd be no complaints on her end.

She quickly switched out her rather ratty t-shirt for a sweater and was soon out of sweats and into jeans. The outfit was a lot less comfortable but she would cope, it wasn't like she was uncomfortable, exactly. It was just a lot less free flowing. Like she couldn't do the splits out of no where. This would be a lot more valid excuse if she could do the splits to begin with, but so be it.

Luce - I'll meet you there.

He knew which dorm she was talking about, and it wasn't that far away. So, he just went off to meet her.

Having two differently temperature coffees in his hands felt rather strange. In one hand, he was pleasantly warm. In the other, he was freezing to death. He knew most people were looking at him like a weirdo, having a cold drink in the middle of winter, but hey. To each their own quirks, right?

Finally, Luce made it to the dorm building and he peeked inside. He had to slide his ID card to get in, but he knew his wouldn't be accepted since he didn't live here. He just hoped that Bailey would come down soon and open the door for him, before he froze to death.

Bailey - I'll be down in a sec to let you in.

The girl didn't even bother with shoes. In the dorms, most girls didn't, preferring to walk around stocking footed provided they weren't going to be in the bathroom. That was just unsanitary. Bailey headed down the four flights of stairs to the communal floor of the dorm, where everyone was welcome to hang around and do whatever, so long as it didn't disturb the desk receptionist.

In all truth, the receptionist couldn't care less what went on in there. There had been many a late night Cards Against Humanity session at the coffee table in the back corner, and she'd seen far too many break ups down there to count. Noise was not high on the list of agitators.

She opened the front door when she saw him, two drinks in his hands. "Hey there friend!" Bailey said brightly, pushing it open further so he didn't have to worry about grabbing it to get in.

Luce smile at seeing her, especially noting that she wasn't wearing any shoes. Must be a dorm thing. "Hey yourself," he laughed a bit. Once inside, he handed her the hot coffee, "You're doing me a favor, I didn't want to waste the coffee."

He looked a little tired, there was a little bit of bags underneath his eyes. Upon entering, he looked around the dorm, unsure where to go. Were they going up to Bailey's room or were they just staying down here? There was a lot of people here, more than he expected, and he was sort of hoping that she'll say up to her room, just so they can have some peace and quiet. Though, he knew the chances of that was low, saying he was a boy and she was a girl and all.

Bailey smiled at him, taking the drink he offered graciously. "You are a fantastic human being." She informed him, taking a sip of the drink with an odd sense of satisfaction. Perhaps the compliment was overboard, but coffee led to affection in the wonderful world of Bailey.

She noticed that Luce appeared tired, so instead of leading him over to the busy common room, she decided that she might as well take him upstairs. It was quieter and they would actually get to talk. It was a simple decision, really. "You cool with hanging in my room? I'm not feeling the crowd this morning." Bailey asked, figuring that she would make sure he was comfortable with that idea. It wasn't like she meant anything more by it, but some guys just weren't comfortable in certain situations.

He sighed in relief at her suggestion, "I was actually hoping for that also, I agree with not feeling the crowd this early in the morning."

He followed her up the stairs still looking around, "So, how have you been recently?" She seemed a little different, although that's not saying much since he's only met her once before.

She smiled, "Perfect!" Bailey didn't know where the sudden burst of energy had come from, but it was there and she was going to utilize it while it lasted. It normally didn't take long for it to fade so she wasn't really holding her breath.

She led the way up the stairs. "I've been pretty good. College suddenly took effort about a week ago so I'm transitioning. You? No offense, but you look like you need a nap." She bit her tongue after that, letting the boy have a chance to talk. Rambling tended to get annoying to most people.

Luce didn't mind listening to Bailey talk, in fact, it was sort of nice. Most people just say "I've been good." or something similar. Such a response lead to a quick boring silence.

"I know. I hate this time of year, with our mid-terms coming up." He sighed, he felt like he hasn't slept in years. "I kind of do, I've been living off of 4 hours of sleep at night for the last two weeks. College is a pain." Then he shook his head, not wanting to complain any further. Everyone hates college, he was no exception, but that doesn't mean he wants to talk about it at times. "How about outside of college. Anything exciting happening?"

She listened to him intently, opening the door to her floor when it came time to do so. She nodded, knowing exactly what he meant. "Oh dang. How many credit hours are you taking? That's like crazy sleep deprivation." Bailey asked, curious. She was taking the standard for the semester that the college required to live on campus, figuring that was the best option for her first year.

Bailey unlocked her dorm room, glad that she and Bea had finally taken the time to get it cleaned up. Kyle wasn't as much of a concern, he wasn't exactly a neat freak himself.

Luce decided to answer honestly, "20 hours. I thought I would be able to do it, but now I'm regretting it." He sighed.

Walking into the dorm, he looked around. It was cleaner than he thought. He generally liked a clean space, but lately, he hasn't had the time to clean, so his apartment is slowing become a mess. It was like a virus. The cleanliness of Bailey's room was certainly a breather. Though, like any other dorm room, it was insanely little, especially for 2 people. "Do you like your dorm room?"

"Outside of school, I kinda started seeing this guy. He's cool. Umm.. I've learned the art of late night socializing! So that was pretty neat. What about you? Anything new and exciting on your end?"

She looked at him, hoping that her eyes hadn't actually popped out of her head a little when he told her how many hours he was taking. That was seven more than what she was, and six more than the recommended number. "Might want to slow down a little next semester. You don't need to be burning out freshman year." She suggested gently, hoping he didn't think she was sticking her nose where she didn't belong.

"Yeah! It's actually a lot more chill than I expected. My roommate is kind of a part timer, so I guess I have it easy. She stays at her boyfriend's place a lot. Mostly I see her in the evenings. Do you live in the dorms?"

"A boyfriend?" He raised an eyebrow, he was under the impression that she was seeing someone from even before they met - she was a pretty girl after all. "Nah, with all my hours, my life revolves around a textbook." He dramatically sighed. "You're right, I'm certainly not doing this again. I just thought I'll try to finish school as fast as I can so I don't be too much of a financial burden."

He looked around, and sat down at a seat near a table. He looked up at Bailey, making sure she was okay with him sitting there. Then he continued, "I live alone in my own apartment. It's a little lonely sometimes, but I kind of like it." He smiled a bit, nodding at her luck, "Yeah, the dorm was too much of a gamble for me."

"Yuuup. That's what Ran came in all excited about at the library." She said with a shrug. She should have been more excited about it probably, but she wasn't much one to flaunt her relationship status. It seemed too.. facebook-y.

His dramatic sigh made her hold back a laugh with remote success. "Gotta make time for fun ya know. It's part of college right along with the rest of it. I do understand the cost, though." Not everyone had a trust fund as a financial backer, and Luce, like Bailey, appeared to be one of those kids.

He took a seat by her desk and she sat on the edge of her (hastily) made bed. She loved the little nook that she and Bea had called their own. It suited them rather well, and the walls were plastered with pictures and twinkle lights, just like the Pinterest ideas they had found. "Not a big fan of the unknown?" She guessed, well aware that she might be way off in her assumption.

Ahhh, he remembers the excited girl. So they were gushing over a crush? Makes sense... "Yeah, I know." He chuckles, "I'm planning on relaxing as much as I can after mid terms is through." He stretched a little and leaned back in his chair, looking up at Bailey. "Well, it's not really a fear of the unknown, I just didn't want to take a risk, since I was taking so many classes and all."

He then looked around at the walls that surrounded him. There were a lot of photos, a lot of artistic ones. He remembered the project that they did together, and remembered how artistic the girl was when they were doing it. "Are you an artist?" He asked curiously, really finding interest in all of the photos that artistically decorated the walls.

"It's always good to have a plan." Bailey said, wondering how he could even think of relaxing. Twenty hours was an insane amount of stress to take on, but if he could handle it, more power to him. "I guess I understand that. Don't need to have a crazy roommate when you're supposed to be studying." She thought for a moment. "So, how do you make friends and stuff? Do you go to any of the campus events?"

She saw him looking at the walls and looked down at her lap. "More like a wannabe artist. For every picture on this wall there are like five or ten I did't like." She explained, knowing that it probably sounded ridiculous. She had plenty of photography that was considered nice, but she was incredibly critical of her work. It was her way of relaxing.

Status
Not open for further replies.