The College Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Luce laughed at their playful banter. He barely caught her looking at him, as if studying something, but he didn't have time to react. They did just meet after all, maybe she was just getting a full look at him? A full assessment. He does wonder idly what she thought of him.

He's been told many times (and teased about it many times), but Luce does look rather feminine for a girl. He hates it, but he knows it to be true (sadly). His eyelashes are long, and his figure is rather lean. His skin is naturally tanned, and he doesn't seem to have many blemishes. His skin almost looks flawless - except, he does have a few scars here and there.

Because of this, he tries to do everything to offset his "feminine wiles", as his best friend calls it. Luce tends to wear baggy pants, and his bright red hair is always a mess. He doesn't like getting hair cuts, so it's slightly long. He ties up his hair is a small ponytail in the back, just so it doesn't get in the way.

After he placed in his number in her phone, he couldn't help but look back at her and assess her very briefly. "Sure! We could grab some coffee? Or hot chocolate, if coffee isn't your thing." He handed her phone back to her, and grabbed his back in return. He got her number! Success!

Step 1 to becoming friends. Check.

She liked that she could make him laugh. It was an ability that seemed to be determined solely by the humor of the other person, and finding one that could find her teasing to be funny? That was an accomplishment in itself.

The boy had a rather lean figure, perhaps leaning toward the side of feminine but she discarded that thought. No guy she knew would appreciate being referred to as such. Luce was a rather attractive individual, in her personal opinion. Not that she would ever admit that out loud. She was after a friend, after all. Not anything more and certainly wasn't going to be putting that kind of stress on the friendship they were building. Nope, no innocent crushing allowed.

"Coffee is always a good thing." She said with a small smile. Of course, her mother would beg to differ on that particular subject but hey, you were only young once. She liked caffeine, and if it came in the form of brown liquid goodness, then A+ to the person who thought of the idea to begin with.

She took her phone back, hitting save on his contact information and then setting it down on the table. "So let's get down to business, shall we?"

"Great! Warm coffee one day it is."

As soon as Bailey said the cursed words, he sighed and nodded. He began to type up information they would need for the timeline, and would often ask Bailey to look up certain items. Despite his initial procrastination, he can actually stay pretty focused on the task at hand. And, he's actually more determined to do better than he would normally do by himself - he didn't want to be the reason he and Bailey failed that boring class after all!!! Of course, it wasn't completely a bore, as Luce would continue to laugh a bit at Bailey's jokes, and also continue their harmless banters.

An hour passed, and both of them managed to get most of the timeline finished. Two different projects lay out before them, all filled with the same information (worded differently, of course, procrastination is a big no-no) and decorated to match the owner's personal design taste. Luce's is pretty bare, with minimal decorations.

Before they can start with the second part of their project, a girl runs up to Bailey. She looked frantic, and immediately tackled Bailey's arm. "Bailey! Bailey!!! Please! Come! We need to talk! Like. NOW." Luce was a bit taken back by random assault, but he figured the girl was one of Bailey's close friend. Was everything okay?

"That sounds like a plan." She agreed.

They settled into the work they needed to do, Bailey making sure to do her fair share of the research and work as they talked back and forth. She cracked jokes, he laughed at them. There was a harmless, happy banter between them as they typed up their projects. An hour later, Bailey felt more accomplished than she had in ages. Part one done.

They seemed to have a slight intermission between parts, as they both stared at all the work laid out before them. Bailey's work was the opposite of Luce's. Where his was rather minimalistic, hers boasted designs and decorative works that added the flair she decided the project needed.

They weren't even able to begin before she was closed in on by one of her friends. She blinked several times in surprise and kind of shook her head a little at all the dramatics. "Hun, what's wrong?" Confused, she glanced apologetically at Luce and sighed.

"I'll be right back." She promised him, standing and following her friend. What was she being so dramatic about, and why was she being so... well, she couldn't really complain. She was used to this.

Luce saw the annoyance in Baliley's eyes and he was rather amused. What were friends for, right? He can tell she still cared for her though, as Bailey just walked with her without protest. He looked down at their projects, and he wondered if he should add something else to his timeline - it looked boring in comparison to Bailey's... Well, whatever, he decided, he should get started on part 2 of the project.

As soon as Bailey's friend. Ran (pronounced R-ah-n) got Bailey alone, her bright pink eyes (contacts, of course...) looked up at Bailey. "Sooo. Do you remember that totally hot guy in our English class? You know, the one with the amazingly hot body and beautiful accent?" Ran grinned in delight, fangirlish squeals slightly exiting her mouth.

"Well, he LIKES you. He's TOTALLY going to ask you out!!! You have to, like, say yes!!!"

The outburst barely was contained until they were just out of earshot, or so she hoped, of Luce. He really didn't need to hear about the everyday life of a crushing teenage girl. Of course, Bailey knew exactly who Ran was talking about as soon as she mentioned the 'totally hot guy' part. The boy was gorgeous, almost too good to be true. And he liked her? Despite herself, Bailey lit up.

"How would you even know that?" She asked her friend pointedly, not the type to get her hopes up. And, well, she kind of already was. Her eyes widened as she considered the worst possible option. "RAN! You didn't ASK him did you?" Oh, she'd be mortified. She glanced carefully, almost nonchalantly, at Luce. Please tell me he isn't hearing any of this. She thought to herself. That was one thing she didn't want to have happen.

The boy Ran was talking about was an upperclassman with a deficient prerequisite for a class he needed to take later on. At least that's what he'd said in the required two minute introduction to the class they'd all been forced to make.

Luce glanced over at the two girls. Bailey's friend seems to be extremely excited about something, while Bailey seemed mortified. He really did wonder what the two were talking about. Did her friend do something stupid?

Ran's face immediately looked offended at the accusation. "Of course not!... Well... I didn't ask HIM." She emphasized, waving her hand. "I asked one of his guy friends if he had a crush on anybody. And he said he had a crush on yoooou."

She touched Bailey's hand, holding them excitedly. "In any case, you should go out with him! It'll be like a dream come true!!!"

Her brows shot up and she looked at her friend knowingly. "Raaaaan. You know that I'm a total dweeb when it comes to this stuff. He's not gonna want anything to do with me anyways." She kind of anticipated being scolded for being down on herself, so she took a slight step back.

She looked down at the girl's hands as they took her own and then broke into a grin. "If he does, I'll say yes, okay?" Her obvious excitement was beginning to shine through and she shook her head. "Girl, if I got ulcers I feel like you'd be the cause of at least one. Can I do do my project with Luce now?"

Bailey flashed another apologetic glance at Luce. She was really leaving him hanging here, and she wanted to do her part of the work on the second part of the project.

Just as Bailey predicted, she can see the smoke practically leave from Ran's nostrils at the statement. "Dear, you are NOT a dweeb. You're adorable!" Ran seemed to be tempted to say more, but at Bailey's agreement, Ran's anger dissipated immediately and she grinned in excitement. "good! Good! Don't worry, this won't give you an ulcer, it'll give you a different feeling in your stomach." Ran winks at Bailey, suggestively.

"Luce?" Ran looked over at the table she stole Bailey from. "Oh..." Ran wrinkles her nose, obviously checking out how Luce looks. "Fine, fine, go make those good grades you're always so insistent on."

"Now shoo. Go do whatever it is bouncy people do when their friends are doing homework!" She stuck out her tongue playfully at her friend and then laughed. "I'll text you later.. We'll discuss." Bailey was a little pink still about the suggestive comment about feelings in her stomach. God, she was a college student and the thought of dating still made her a little bit silly.

She headed back to her table, having mentally waved away the obvious judgement on Ran's face regarding Luce. He seemed like a really good guy, so judging him by what her type was wasn't fair at all. Types didn't exactly seem fair anyhow.

"I'm sorry about that. She gets excited sometimes." Bailey apologized, unsure of how else to explain.

Ran laughed and waves at Bailey. "You better!!!"

Luce perked up when Bailey returned. She seemed to be a mix of feelings after the talk with her friend, but it didn't seem like she wanted to elaborate, so he decided not to pry. "It's fine. Is everything okay though?" He asked, just to make sure. She seemed annoyed at some point after all.

She smiled at his inquiry. "Yes, everything's good. She was just really excited about something and decided I needed to know immediately."

Deciding to switch the topic back to what they were supposed to be working on, she pulled the syllabus out again. "So what's next? Part two looks a little simpler than the first one." She commented, reading over the requirements. Bailey mostly just wondered what he had completed in her absence so she could make up for the missed time.

"It's making a presentation, so I just looked up some interesting events we can cover. I also found a very good website to give us the information we needed." He said, turning over his laptop to her.

It seems as though he did most of the research already, since the website is pretty thorough, but he seemed dissatisfied. Research is the easy part... On the other hand... He sighed, and looked up at Bailey, his face a little pink in embarrassment.

"I suck at using PowerPoint... Do you mind teaching me?"

"Ooh, presentations. Those are always good." Bailey was in her element when she was in front of a group, oddly enough. She didn't love presenting, but it was a gift and she utilized it regularly.

He went pink when he spoke about PowerPoint and his struggles with it. Bailey was fairly experienced with the program and smiled, nodding. "Oh yeah, sure! I can give you a run down of the basics at least."

She pulled up her program, figuring that she'd show him on hers and he could kind of follow along. "So basically, you're going to pick your theme before you start actually typing. It makes it easier." She told him, clicking the theme she liked best and glancing at his screen to see if he'd followed suit.

"Thanks," he said gratefully. He was also glad she did not look at him as though he's crazy or stupid for not already being a pro at technology, like most people his age is.

Luce looked through the themes, following suit. There were a lot of themes to pick from... Finally, he settled for a light grey and blue theme, looking back at Bailey. "That's it?" He looks back at his laptop, expecting some sort of very complicated procedure to follow up his actions. He then tried to type in the title of his event in the given spot.

"Not a problem." She assured him, and when he picked his theme she smiled, giving him a knowing nod. She knew a lot about this computer stuff, it was an old hobby of hers that had never really died.

"Yup, that's pretty much it. Oh, and when you make new slides, just hit the plus and you can pick what kind of layout you prefer. Life if you want a slide of just pictures, that's an option, see?" She said, opening up the dialog box that would allow him to pick whichever slide type he'd like, and she clicked it just for an example. "It's daunting but it's not terribly hard."

"Oh! Okay." He exclaimed, quite surprised how easy this is. He smiles up at her, but now he feels embarrassed for not knowing this already. It's not his fault! Every time he asked,people thinks he's kidding, after all, how can one go through almost 20 years of their life NOT knowing how to make a PowerPoint?

Whatever, everyone has their quirks right? This happens to be his.

He then got set working on putting the information in the power points, often asking Bailey questions about using the fonts, is their a slide limit, or other various odd questions. Then, he realized he was taking up most of her time to help him on his project.

"Agh, sorry! I didn't meant to monopolize your time. Do you need help putting yours together?"

She didn't think anything odd about him not being as experienced in this as she was. In fact, it was rather endearing to see a kid her age not so engrossed with technology. She wasn't able to say the same about herself, but it was kind of cool in some respects that he could.

She worked on her own presentation, getting a little more technical with her own than he was with his, adding things like slide transitions that he would come to learn in time. She didn't want to overwhelm him or anything.

She answered his questions diligently, more than happy to oblige him. He was a little distracting but he wasn't complaining and she wasn't annoyed. "No worries! I'm pretty good at multitasking."

He can see how creative she was getting with her power point, and it looked pretty amazing. Yep, she's right, she doesn't need his help with this, she was a pro. "No kidding," he commented in awe, "that looks pretty awesome. Dr, Kyle will be amazed."

Luce then looks at the time and realized how late it was getting. He was not planning on staying for very long... But he found himself enjoying the company of his new friend. But alas, all things must come to an end at some point, and he has to go home. "Sorry Bailey, I think I need to go soon." He said a bit regretfully.

"I get pretty creative when there's that much on the line... Yours looks amazing though. I'd never guess that you didn't know how to use it before." She told him with a happy smile. She was pretty close to done, much further than she had ever anticipated being by.. oh, it was a lot later than anticipated.

She noticed he was also checking the time, and when he told her he should get going soon, she nodded. "Yeah, I probably should too. I didn't plan on getting this much done today though, so that's good.." Ran was probably throwing a fit that she hadn't sent her anything yet. She sighed, closing out of her programs and shutting her laptop.

"Thank you for helping me with all this. You're a great study buddy."

Status
Not open for further replies.