The City of Keahns

Grace under pressure, Shadowsigh, grace under pressure, ran through the Wild Elf's head as the man spoke to him. Years of dealing with non-elves had taught his tribe one thing: in the eyes of them, the voice of elves meant little to nothing. No matter what he said, he would probably be dead by the end of the day. Or morning. They might decide to kill him before then.

Leveling his gaze with the man, who he noticed looked strikingly like Madge, he said nothing. It wouldn't matter. At least he could die with a clear conscience, that he had helped Madge earlier. However, he wasn't sure whether his help would count for anything, if she was still to be wed with Francis.

"Kill me if you wish," Shadowsigh said, his voice quiet and emotionless. "I won't fight you. I just hope your gods forgive the killing of an innocent." The words spilled out of his mouth before he could stop them, and even though he knew they weren't completely true, given that he had probably injured or killed one of his soldiers earlier, it gave him a slight feeling a satisfaction.

Judias almost growled. "Innocent? You call attacking my men, five of them DEAD, and then attacking both my daughter and her fiancee in her new home as innocent?!" His voice was loud and tense in anger. How dare he call himself "innocent"!

Madge was trying to hurrying, every so often her vision hazing. She could still feel the effects of the head injury- she at least had a concussion, she knew that much. She got to her father's tent with the family emblem. She pushed past the soldiers, who tried to keep her out.
"You need to wait Madge!" One of them yelled as she finally wrestled past.

"Father! Stop this nonsense!" She cried angrily at him. It was the first time she had ever spoken against him.

Shadowsigh had been about to growl something back at Madge's father, when he heard her shouting. Turning his head halfway around to see her, again his expression turned blank, though his eyebrows went up a couple inches when she spoke against him. Looking back towards the men, he added, "I would listen to her. She has a good head on her shoulders." He almost crossed his arms, before the shackles stopped him. Frowning disdainfully at them, he tried to remember when the last time Wild Elves were in chains. Not for more than seventy-five years, his father had once told him. Though he was one in thousands, it was still a mark on Wild Elf pride. Narrowing his eyes as he looked back up, he prayed to the gods that the man would listen to his daughter.

Judias stared at his daughter for a moment, before walking over to her, and talking to her quietly over to the side. "Why are you in here? I said to bring you here, not to bring you inside and the guards said to stay out."

Madge looked desperately at her father. "Please, listen to Shadowsigh." Her voice lowered so only her could hear her. "Francis attacked Shadow sighed when he went to retrieve my diary from him, and I..tried to get Francis away from him but then he hit me...Hard. A-and..." She closed her eyes tightly. She barely remembered stumbling back, and then forgot anything past that. "I forgot what happened after that.. I think I hit my head..But I woke up in my bed."

Judias looked at her for a few seconds, trying to determined if she were lying or not. He glanced from the elf, to Francis. Madge continued to give her father desperate looks of pleading.

"She is telling the truth, you know," quipped Shadowsigh, even though he was none to happy at being called 'Shadow'. "Her head hit the back of the windowsill. Of course, probably anything I say will be denounced as lies from a lying elf. Is that not how your people work?" he added defiantly, frowning. "He hit her when I was simply following what it was she told me to do." In order to prove his point, he gestured towards Francis. "I do not like to say it, but it is a bad show of family when a father gives his daughter to someone like that."

-------------------------------------

Aron strode down the street, papers clutched in his hands. As he made his way towards the east wall, he ignored the stares and sympathetic looks his people gave him, focusing on simply meeting with whoever was behind the siege of the city. If the two could come into an agreement on the terms of surrender, they could avoid another fiasco like with what had happened with the Wild Elves.

Arriving at the soldiers' compound, he told the soldiers guarding the entrance, "Look, I've got a meeting with Judas or June or whoever you answer to. My son was killed this morning and I have no patience for waiting."

The Soldiers outside the tent kept him outside. "There is an urgent matter going on at the moment, I'm sure it will be resolved within the next hour," assured one of them. The other one kept quiet, keeping a glare on him at all times.

Madge tried to catch her father's gaze. She knew he was distressed, but he had to believe her. Had to! She sigh, irritated. This time, she called loud enough anyone within twenty five feet of the tent could hear her.

"Listen to me for once in my life!" She was about to cry, but she held back, staring at the man who was either not paying attention or didn't know what to think. "I'm practically an adult! Francis hurt me- and Shadowsigh! Francis is the one to be charged and tried, not Shadowsigh! Not the elven people who were defnding their freedom!" She stamped her foot on the floor. She had his attention, and she wasn't going to loose it. "I've done everything you've told me since I was young- Because you got a daughter, not the son you wanted. I was raised in war and fighting, to do your bidding- like your son would have. I took care of myself after Mother got killed in hostage situations! The soldiers out there...They respect ME, not you! What have you done? Sat in your office playing with dolls and moving them across a map, not once fighting in the battle? You're pitiful! And if you won't punish that monster," her voice got colder, and harsh like a blade. "I will."

She went over to Shadowsigh, grabbed him- rougher than she meant to- and led him out of the tent. She pick-poceted the guard while she walked, grabbing his keys. Once further away, she uncuffed the elf. "Go. Go back to your tribe. And don't come back until we're gone."

"I...I cannot," Shadowsigh answered her, still slightly surprised from her outburst previously and how roughly she had grabbed him. "I put myself in captivity to protect my people. My honor would not allow me to leave like this. Being let go like this...it does not feel right." He looked to her levelly, "I am not even sure that they would accept me if I returned. They would think that I had ran or did something to be set free...at this rate, I do not think I can return." He closed his eyes, trying to imagine never being able to go home. "Jadewind will be the only one who will miss me. But I cannot feel the same for her. The elves here know I am different, they would not accept me..." Sighing heavily, feeling tears sting his eyes, he pushed them back, wanting to be strong in front of Madge.

----------------------

When Aron saw the Wild Elf and the girl leave, he asked the guards, "Is the business finished yet? As soon as I can get the surrender agreement good and done with, the sooner order can be returned to my city." He looked at the guard, the dark circles under his eyes evident of the stress he had been under the past twenty-four hours.

Finally, he was led into the tent, and wasted no time in sitting down. "I am here to try and come to a surrender agreement. I don't want any more of my people killed."

Judias was stunned because of his daughter's outburst. Had he really treated her that way..? Most general's daughters had fancy gowns, and lived in a nice, rich home with servants taking care of her. But not Madge. No, Madge took care of herself, in her boy like outfit. She fought for him... and he hadn't even realized it. He sighed. Francis grunted.

"Can't believe she just threatened me.."

"I'll threaten you.. you lying awful scum--" Then someone came into the tent. Damn it.. He turned to the person. "I'm busy, come back later." He said, trying to shoo him out. Francis stood, and left the tent in a snoody, stuck up manner.

Madge looked at Shadowsigh, before falling on her knees. She just couldn't do it anymore.. She looked at her hands. "I killed... over thirty elven warriors the night we invaded. I led the attack. I did everything my father asked me to do, because I wanted to make him proud- but for what? A prearranged marriage and a cruel reputation." She paused.. "I don't think either of us have a place anymore.. We're both outcasts in a City with people both of us belong to in one way, but don't in multiple other ways.."

Unsure of what to do when Madge fell down to her knees, he stood there for several seconds, a stunned expression on his face. After she had finished speaking, he knealt down in front of her, placing his hands gently on her shoulders. "War is war," he stated simply. "We all have hurt someone, lost someone, sometimes we have killed...but it is war. No matter what side you are on, people will die." He closed his eyes, frowning.

Checking her eyes, he finds that one pupil is larger than the other. "You have got bleeding in your head...I should get you to a healer." Gently taking her by the elbows, he helped her stand again, asking, "Where is the healer, then? He should be able to help you."

-----------------

"No," Aron immediately replied. "I can't wait any longer. My son died earlier today, because of one of your soldiers. There is no telling how many other mothers and fathers lost their children, children who lost their fathers. I want to prevent that further. The elves lost a major stronghold. Yes, I understand that, but that doesn't mean the people of my city need to suffer any more." He closed his eyes, pinching the bridge of his nose tiredly. "I just want to make sure nobody else suffers as I have."

"I'm..not sure exactly where his place is... But I remember his name- It's Sae.." She was feeling disoriented and weak. She was going to have to stop being her strong, stubborn outer self, and for probably only the fourth time in her life since she was seven, she would have to let someone else help her.

Judias stared at the elf. "My daughter almost died because of my own actions, and my nephew did die. My wife died about nine years ago from this war when it started. Both are dead from one of 'your' people. We're in the same boat, but I have something a bit more urgent to take care of first." Then, under his breath he added, "My daughter.." He reached under his desk grabbing his sword and hooking the belt of the sheath around his waist, sliding the blade into the sheath. "You can wait here as long as you like, but I have to go and take care of something very urgent."

Crossing his arms angrily when the man told him he must wait, Aron muttered, "Same boat, my left ear." Holding his head in his hands, he placed one on his his left arm, feeling through his sleeve the wound that he had been given during the fight. It had been a lucky shot. One of the invading soldiers had caught him right when he was getting out of a fight, but Aron had forced himself to ignore the wound and focus on the tasks at hand: Arethor's death; the invasion; and the possible threat on his life, considering what Judias would want for surrender. At least his two younger sons, the twins Baidier and Baiwen were too little to truly understand what happened to their older brother. That was one less problem he would have to deal with for now.

Rolling his eyes and waving Judias away as he left, he tried to imagine what the Court would be thinking, in the elven capital towards the south-west. Probably panicking, especially given that one of the strongest cities in the elven territory had just fallen. It was also one of the closest, which meant that if the city needed it, Keahns could send soldiers. However, with the city fallen, he was pretty sure that it wouldn't happen.

---------------

"Sae?" Shadowsigh asked, looking at her. "Okay. Tell me if you recognize the house." Placing his arm beneath her arms, he took on most of her weight, helping her stand. Walking into town, he ignored the odd stares people gave him. Of course they knew who he was: if they hadn't heard the latest gossip about his surrender, they would be able to tell by the way he was built and the swirling tattoo on his right forearm. However, the stares were probably from the way he looked free. A lot of people had seen him in shackles earlier, yet here he was, helping around the same girl who did that to him.

Passing by someone, he stopped them and said, "Tell me, where is the healer named Sae?" As they pointed him in the right direction, he readjusted his hold on Madge before continuing, quickly finding himself in front of the doctor's house.

Madge nodded slightly, but that seemed to hurt. Did she really have internal bleeding? She was starting to get a headache, she knew that much. "This is the place," she murmured softly. She had let Shadowsigh walk her here, and instinctively she wanted to stand up on her own- but she knew it was probably a bad idea. Especially if what he said was true.

Judias left the tent, and looked to both sides, then went south. He started searching for Madge- doing a quick perimeter and asking soldiers if they had seen her.

Nodding, Shadowsigh helped her up the front steps, knocking on the front doors before opening it. Thankfully it was unlocked, and he was able to walk inside. Once there, he called into the house, "Hello...? I have an injured girl..." He trailed off, wondering if the doctor would even be there.

-----------------------

With the Wild Elf attack, many more injured came to his house, though not nearly as many as the first attack. Most of them weren't elves, but a few were caught in the crossfire of the fight. Many of the elves were injured because a soldier had seen an elf and immediately saw them as an enemy. Hearing a sound in the front room, he left the back one, having just gotten the last injured out and cleaned up after them. He still had a few others in the empty bedrooms, but for the most part they were sleeping. Wiping his hands off, he walked into the front room, seeing none other than the 'devil' that some of the more raving injured talked about. He was just a Wild Elf. However, he also was keeping the girl with cat ears from falling over.

"What happened?" he asked tiredly, rubbing his eyes, knowing he probably hadn't slept in three days.

Madge looked at Sae, feeling sorry that she had come seeing as he was so tired. "Francis hit me...and I hit my head..." She blinked slightly as she noticed somehow the headache was getting worse. She held her head. "Shadowsigh..thinks I have internal bleeding.." Her voice faded off as she pulled her hands away and steadied herself more.

Judias was still searching for her as she was speaking with Sae. Some of the soldiers didn't tell him- although they had seen her. He seemed both upset and hurried, and they were worried that in the condition they saw her in, she'd be stressed and hurt more.

Though Sae didn't know who Francis was, he knew it wasn't an elven name, no matter whether you were Wild or a city elf, so he figured he was the same as Madge, just without cat ears. Sighing heavily, having wished that he could have gotten a couple hours of sleep, at least, before having someone else requiring his attention, he said, "Okay. Let me see."

Gently placing his hands on her face, helping her open her eyes wide enough, he checked her pupils. One--the right one--was larger than the other. "It's a concussion...It's good he brought you here...Come on." Gesturing for her to follow, he said over his shoulder, "There's a sitting room where you can wait if you want. I don't have anything to offer you, since that was my job before Arethor died. Just...don't touch anything."

Leading Madge towards the back room, he told her to lie on the table while he gathered ice and a cloth. Wrapping the ice in a cloth, he handed it to her and said, "Hold it up to your head. I'm gonna have to ask some questions, okay? First off, do you have a headache that is getting worse?"

She did as he told her, and laid down on the table. Holding the cloth-covered ice to her head where it hurt the worst, she sighed softly. "Okay.." She looked over at him. "Yeah.. I do."

Judias barely caught a glimpse of her tail as the door closed behind her. Was that really her or not?... He couldn't tell. He had looked everywhere.. He'd have to search later, there was someone waiting for him.. He sighed, an went back to his tent. "What do you purpose before I deny it," he asked roughly, obviously in a bad mood.

Sae nodded, taking a mental note of it. "Okay....Have you been vomiting? Feeling dizzy or drowsy, felt confused? Um...seizures, loss of consciousness?" He offered her a slight smile, trying to reassure her that everything was fine. Having a bad headache after something like that wouldn't be good. However, it could just be from it, not a concussion.

-----------

Aron had looked up immediately as Judias entered the tent, his own sour expression matching the man's. However,it brightened just slightly when he was given permission to speak. "I don't want my people in chains...I want it to be as normal as possible for everyone...especially the remaining members of my family. D-do what you want to me, but leave them alone. In return...I will dissolve the town militia, and consent to almost any other terms you want."

"I've been..dizzy...drowsy..confused.. I think I lost consciousness.. It's kind of hard to remember what happened from after I hit my head, till I woke up," she replied. Inside she was thinking of all the different things she though it could be. Brain or brain stem injury. It could just be a concussion, or it could be worse- she didn't know.

Judias sat at his desk. He pulled out a small book labeled "Procedure." He flipped towards the back, and stopped on a page, reading a paragraph. "Alright, well. Before I can make any decisions, or any changes, I must first go to the King and his Advisor and get their permission for your request. I will try to get an appointment with the King as soon as he is available. I see you have paper work.." Judias looked over, and held his hand out. "I'll read it over, and bring it to the King and his Advisor for the meeting for him to sign. Agreed?"

Aron sighed heavily. "Fine," he said, handing over the papers. They were mostly about the city. In no way was he about to give up his title, which could spell a riot for the people, but if he was to be at the mercy of the soldiers, it was all well and good that they knew how the city ran. At least, he was hoping, in a few days' time, his people wouldn't be chained in the square or forced to work as laborers and slaves. He had heard tales of elven cities that had fallen like that: the enemies would capture the city and then either force the citizens into a form of slavery or have them in chains, sometimes both. The pictures he had seen were awful. Sometimes, the elves would have awful sunburns from working outside day after day, and the children would be little more than skin and bones. Entire cities had been wiped out that way, and Aron figured himself lucky that he might not have to deal with that.

Still...that didn't mean he would have to be happy about being forced to wait until this man could get an audience with his king.

-----------------

"I'm not sure if it's a concussion," answered Sae. "It could just be nothing, but if you feel the same way in a few days, come back here. If you feel odd, or something's not right, come back here. Keep ice on your head." Straightening, he helped her back to the sitting room, finding Shadowsigh sitting on a small end table. "Get off of that," he told him, "use a couch. She'll be fine, though, most likely. If you notice that she's acting strange, take her here."

Madge glanced at Sae, and reached in her pocket. and pulled something out- a small pouch. She tossed it to him. It made a clinking noise- there was a lot of gold coins within, useable both in elven cities and her own. "Thank you for your help, doctor," she said softly. She looked at Shadowsigh, then nodded towards the door and headed towards it. She opened the door, leaving with him.

"Hmm.. So what now," she asked, more so towards herself than anyone else. She really wasn't sure. She noticed a soldier run up to them.
"Hey- Madge. Your father was looking for you..But I wasn't sure if he was the one that hurt you or not, so I didn't say anything." He glanced at Shadowsigh. "Uh..Yeah. So your father's looking for you.." He turned and went off. Madge sighed, she wasn't entirely sure if she cared.

Judias took the papers. "Thank you. I'll speak with the King as soon as I can, and get back to you within 24 hours of that time."