The City of Ipses

The constant communication from Damian reassured Aslan that the other man really wasn't cross with him. He found himself awaiting for their next date anxiously. He found that he missed their simple conversations and quiet moments.

Damian suggesting they meet at his place was a sure difference from their previous dates. He tried to make the place as presentable as possible, even if most of his furniture was cheap, some of his possessions were second-hand and his couch was clearly battered. At least his house was in order in case Damian wanted to step in for a while, before or after their date. He didn't linger on what the second possibility would entail. Small steps and everything. Taking into consideration how bad their last date had ended he was already glad that they were even going on another one.

He smiled a bit nervously as he opened the door to Damian. Even wearing simple clothes, as usual the other man had an aristocrat air to him and his best clothes would never compete with. He'd also opted for comfortable clothes himself, donning navy blue slacks, dark shoes and a light grey shirt. He also had a light navy blue blazer he opted to bring in case the night got chilly. He'd spent quite a few minutes taming his hair, which he tied away from his face, the rest of loose around his shoulders in its natural curly tendencies now toned down from the hair product he used, which had a nice, soft fragrance.

His smile became more genuine when he saw Damian smiling as well and took the offered hand.

"Good evening." He nodded. "Yes, unless um, would you like to step in for a while or would you like to go right away?"

"We should probably go," Damian replied lightly, and somewhat apologetically. He could tell that Aslan was simultaneously nervous and excited about getting the opportunity to invite him inside, but Damian simply hadn't taken that possibility into account. And while the man momentarily considered putting off their journey to humor Aslan, and then taking a car or cab to the theater, he really didn't want to forgo the time this walk would give them. "The theater isn't exactly close, and I'd rather not have to rush to get there on time."

If Aslan still wanted, he'd make up for it on the way back.

They left not long after, Damian walking next to Aslan with his hands tucked into his jacket pockets, matching his steps to the other man as though it was perfectly natural. However, they didn't walk very far before Damain broke the silence, his normally calm voice sounding somewhat anxious. "I feel... I owe you an apology for what happened last time. Or an explanation. If there's anything you'd like to ask, or say, please do."

Aslan nodded, apparently taking Damian's suggestion in stride.

"Yes, of course. Best to make it there with some time to spare."

It was curious how, even though they hadn't known each other for long, they fell into step so naturally and seemed so used to walking together. However, the mood between them was different from the other times and Aslan was reminded exactly why at Damian's humble apology.

The brunet blinked and smiled gently.

"It's…fine. It's in the past now. I also… I didn't mean to affect your friendship with Chris. I'm sorry." Despite everything he didn't want to be the one driving a wedge between the two friends - unusual as their friendship might be. "I hope your conversation went well?" He asked, more concerned than actually curious.

"It went... well," Damian agreed, glancing over at Aslan out of the corner of his eye. "As I said earlier, Chris apologized, and said he won't bother you again. He knows he went too far."

Frankly, he was surprised that the young man wasn't asking more questions. Damian was a private man, and it had made it all the more obvious as people had probed into him, trying to get information about his history, his powers, his personality. Having given the other man basically a carte blanche to question him, Damian had not expected him to completely forgo the opportunity.

But forgo it he did. The two chatted lightly as they walked, but Aslan seemed to consciously stay away from anything related to Chris, hero business, or Damian's harsh reaction to the whole situation. As Damian continued to slowly consider the matter as they walked, he came to the conclusion that perhaps he shouldn't be so surprised by Aslan's lack of questions. Damian hadn't gotten close to many people, but all of the people he'd allowed closer than a passing acquaintanceship had never questioned him. He supposed it shouldn't be such a surprise that Aslan was the same.

It took them a good forty five minutes to walk to the theater from Aslan's place, but light conversation kept them comfortable along the way. The theater had been built on the edge of town many years ago. Now, however, it had been swallowed up by newer buildings, and the old, brick building looked out of place surrounded by towering metal and glass office buildings. However, the street was crowded this evening, people lining up along the sidewalk in hopes of snagging a good seat.

Luckily for Damian and Aslan, they were not required to wait in line. Chris had given them VIP tickets, and Damian was more than willing to cut to the front of the line to present the tickets. A waiting valet, dressed in an overlarge suit with a bright red spiral embroidered on it, wearing a jester's crown with antlers, gave them an over-enthusiastic bow as he beckoned them towards their seats. They were brought to one of the overhead boxes, which provided not only a great view of the stage, but fairly solitary seating. Before he vanished again, the valet presented them two programs with a flourish of the wrist, before vanishing back down the stairs towards the front of the theater.

"I suppose I should have asked earlier," Damian said, somewhat embarrassed. "Do you like Theater of the Absurd?"

Unsurprisingly, Chris had managed to pick out a play that was quite suitable to Damian's tastes. The dark, existential, dream-like nature of the plays had always appealed to him, and he had high expectations for the play Chris had chosen for him.