The Chronicles of Alencia

Status
Not open for further replies.
vfiVRSL.png

"Aw, I always knew you had the hots for me, Meg." Ferris flexed a little before quickly darting ahead, y'know, just in case she lobbed a fireball at him or something. The fire mage said something about old women being scary when upset, and a devilish smirk appeared on the wanderer's face. "I guess that makes you ancient then?" He made sure to whisper because while messing with Meg was fun in its own way, it was also extremely dangerous. Messing with Gael and Arthur was always the safer alternative. Since Meg didn't stop to yell at him, he assumed she hadn't heard him. Not that he was complaining or anything, they stopped by a nearby well and Ferris scoped out of the perimeter.

Empty streets, check. Boarded up windows, check. There didn't seem to be any trace of Gael or Arthur—until he saw Twinkleclaws rise above several of the decrepit houses. The usually adorable griffon gave its wings a mighty flap and the loud squawk that tore through the air made a chill run up Ferris' spine. Arthur and Gael were in trouble. "Meg... we've got a trouble." Twinkleclaws dove out of sight and Ferris immediately reached for his axe's handle. Play it cool, the wind spirit in his head stated, but there was no time for that.

Ferris reached for Meg's wrist and began tugging her along.

wo3kFNK.png

"You're under arrest," Arthur snarled. "Please drop your weapon, and come quietly." The entire fight had gone to hell, but Arthur was determined on settling things peacefully. Mostly, it was because he and Gael were seriously outnumbered. And yes it was ridiculous request, but if they could prevent further violence then it was at least worth a shot.

The bandit before him laughed. The walking can man with blood streaming down his nose didn't exactly look threatening. However, the bandit's laughter was his own downfall. He noticed the glint of anger that flashed through the keeper's eyes, but by then, he was already too late.

Arthur swung his sword, successfully grazing the man's abdomen. "Call off your comrades," the keeper asked once more.

"Shit," the bandit stared down at his bloodied hands before he pitched forward and fell into Arthur's arms.

The keeper steadied his woozy opponent, only to have the man lean dangerously close to his ear. The bandit chuckled weakly before sparks of electricity appeared between them. A sudden rush of heat and pain coursed throughout Arthur's body and he began to scream. Had the sudden shock lasted any longer, he would have passed out, but the bandit released him when a certain wanderer began yelling.

"Oi! This is why you should have listened to us!" Ferris and Meg stood atop a hill looking quite heroic.

A wave of relief rushed throughout the keeper and he allowed himself to drop to his knees.

• Love
Reactions: Warden
2cpqk4k.png

It was hopeless... Whenever the templar put one man down, another bandit would come along to take his place. His fists weren’t doing so well against their armor too, and his knuckles were already bleeding. ‘Siv would be able to do this,’ Gael thought grimly as he ducked beneath the overreaching swing of a battleaxe and threw an uppercut at its owner. He was immediately rewarded with a great big slam to the head, his enemy’s iron helmet tearing a scrap of skin off the bridge of his nose. Oh, Zenara’s sword, they really were serious. It was at this point that a different person would’ve felt regret for taking on such a mission, but all the young beast-tamer thought of was survival. That, and was Arthur screaming!?
2irk80p.png

2dgnp0i.png

Meg winced at the sight below them. Oh, the precious two, thinking they could beat a small plaza full of armored fighters. Heck, she wasn’t sure she could hurt at least five of them... But they were still several meters away and she had Ferris as a meat shield. “Hulks, the lot of them. But I hear it gets pretty hot inside that armor.” Pinpricks of flame covered the mage’s fingertips, and before anybody could count to ten a blazing orb was floating over her palm. “Eat shit, losers!” Meg threw the fireball down at the mob.

‘Meg you’re going to hit us too!’

A shower of concrete and embers burst from where the attack landed, though a good portion of the bandits seemed to have dodged it at the nick of time. “Oops, I missed,” the pyromancer grimaced, but that was before another violent explosion tore throughout their area. A house quickly crumbled down, beams and debris falling upon a few unwary cutthroats. Chaos swiftly unraveled whatever was happening there before the two arrived. “Whoa. Okay, I didn’t do that, but I’m not gonna look a gift horse in the mouth. Unless there’s people in hiding in that house... Uh Ferris, go check for me?”

As Meg threw smaller bolts at their enemies, the griffon swept down from the sky. Twinkleclaws grabbed a bandit with one claw and sent him flying away, screaming, before tearing through their ranks with his wings outstretched. The bird plucked Gael up from the ground and trilled loudly in his ear, receiving a timid pat from the weary beast-tamer.

• Love
Reactions: Fox of Spades
vfiVRSL.png

Meg setting buildings on fire was actually kinda hot. Still, it was more terrifying than anything else, and as soon as she mentioned the possibility of people burning to death, he hightailed it towards the burning building. "S'cuse me, just passing through—holy Twinkleclaws!" Ferris watched with wide eyes as the griffon barreled through enemy ranks with ease. The whole giant-chicken-kicking-butt thing was quite a sight to behold. In fact, Ferris was so focused on Twinkleclaws that he didn't notice the upset bandit charging towards him.

"Enemy at twelve o'clock, Ferris."

The startled wanderer unsheathed his axe just as his familiar conjured up a burst of wind. The attack sent the equally surprised bandit flying back and their foe collided with the burning building's already weakened post. A part of the wooden roof gave way and the building burned even brighter.

One of the bandits signaled a retreat, but instead of chasing after them, Ferris gaped at growing fire.

"Uh, that's right. Mess with us and you'll get burned good! Hey, Sylph, mind helping me out a bit?"

wo3kFNK.png

A dazed Arthur focused his eyes on the retreating bandits. Had he been in better shape, he would have gone after them, but he knew his limits and now wasn't the time. Slowly, he reached for his fallen blade. The warrior used it to help support his weight then rose to his feet.

"Sylph now isn't the time to argue, help a brother out," Ferris pleaded.

Arthur arched an eyebrow at the scene. "Who... who are you talking to?"

Just as the question had been asked, a bird made of swirling blue winds appeared beside Ferris. The wind spirit flapped its wings in a quick succession and the gusts it created successfully managed to kill the flames.

"You're a mage?" Arthur brought a hand over his bloodied nose and winced. "Where's Meg? You two... you weren't attacked, were you?"

"Uh, yes and no." Ferris nodded in Meg's direction. "She's over there, who else goes around committing arson? Anyway, you and Gael look like shit. Not the best question to ask, but are you okay?" Ferris eyed the Warrior's bloody nose before his eyes flitted to Gael and the valiant Twinkleclaws.

Arthur being Arthur tried to keep a straight face. "I'm fine—"

"Good. Now I can say I told you so and not feel bad." Ferris gave Gael and Arthur his best disappointed look. "What were you two idiots thinking?"

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
2irk80p.png

2cpqk4k.png
Meg didn’t cease throwing her fireballs until the very last bandit left the alley. With wisps of smoke floating up from her palms, the mage descended from her perch atop the hill and made for her friends. She had a nagging feeling that something wasn’t quite right, prompting her to glance around for whatever it was. Well, Arthur and Gael seemed fine, except for the scrapes and cuts here and there. The poor knight looked like he needed a handkerchief though...

“Oh hey, that’s it! Good job killing those fires, Ferris. You’re not all that useless, eh?” Meg gave her buddy a hearty smack on the shoulder as she joined him in giving the two heroes the stinky eye. Although it seemed a bit in poor taste considering how the two of them looked like bruised apples, she wasn’t above doing it... Like her grandmamma used to say, when someone’s wrong, you gotta dish it the truth out no matter what! “Great going, you two... I see you brought the entire crime department down with you, eh?”

Gael swung his hand down in a choppy gesture, the irritated expression on his face as well as the ferocity of the action probably telltale signs that he meant for the two of them to shut up. Well, it seemed like he meant to convey a more violent sentiment, say, “shove your comments up your asses”, but one could just assume the templar was acting that way from all the wounds he has to deal with.​

2dgnp0i.png

Twinkleclaws was outfitted with some of the group’s belongings, including Gael’s veritable stash of healing materials. He dug into those while the others conversed, and fished out a foul-smelling bag.

“Say, Ferris, how did you put the fire out anyway?” Meg turned towards her companion while Gael opened the monstrosity in his hands. Thank goodness they were upwind, but Arthur wasn’t so lucky.

• Bucket of Rainbows
wo3kFNK.png

vfiVRSL.png

Gael's angry gestures were ignored, and instead of sympathy, the Templar and Keeper received a smug grin instead. "Like I said, Meg and I told you so. C'mon, you two are smarter than that, going after a bunch of bandits... it was more the little stupid. You two are lucky we're such caring teammates."

Ferris scolding brought a frown to Arthur's lips. Yes, it hadn't been a very wise decision, but none of them needed this right now. "Please, Ferris."

"I mean, look at you two." Narrowing his eyes at the Keeper's bloodied nose, the wanderer shook his head. "That's gonna leave a nasty bruise."

"I know," Arthur replied through gritted teeth as he clenched his hands into fists. He was snapped out of his thoughts by Meg's question and found himself staring at the smug looking and annoying wanderer as well. "Someone forgot to tell us he was a wind mage."

A flicker of hesitance appeared in the usually confident man's eyes and he shrugged. "Yeah, I s'pose I'm a mage, but we've got more pressing matters at hand. You know, leaving in case they come back with a need for revenge... Art, pal, you okay?"

The poor Keeper looked as if he had swallowed a lemon due to the smell of Gael's herbs, but he tried to keep a straight face for his friend's sake. The herbs smelled bad, he wouldn't deny that, but he also understood their healing properties would prove to be an asset during the course of their journey. "Thank you, Twinkleclaws." Slowly he shuffled towards the griffin. "They're headed north?" He asked. If that was the case, then they'd be able to follow after their foes.

"Whoa, slow down, Art, Chickenlover. You guys just got beaten up, and I really don't like the look on your faces." Well, it looked like it was up to him and Meg to make sure they didn't, oh you know, go chasing after death and all that. Wonderful.

• Love
2irk80p.png

Meg snickered as Arthur trudged over to their designated team herbalist with the speed of a shambling corpse. She took a look at her palm and smothered the last licks of flame creeping around her fingers, her armadillo companion making its appearance once again. ‘Good job. Next time try less explosion.’ The familiar seemed pleased they finished the job without any gore, but Meg was sure some of the bandits might have gotten burnt. By placing herself on a position of moral superiority, she was able to convince herself that those no-good criminals deserved their injuries.

“Hey, Chili. Looks like we aren’t the only magicals in the group.” Turning to Ferris, the brown-haired pyromancer flicked her thick, loose braid over her shoulder and wagged her eyebrows meaningfully. Now they outnumbered Gael 3-1, not that Meg was thinking of getting into an altercation with the templar and his oversized turkey. Still... Viva, Keepers of Light! “Although I think I prefer you swinging that big thingy around. It never hurts to have extra meat shields!” Meg cheerfully smacked her fellow mage on the shoulder, her palm sliding off his armor with a sad thump. She winced then wiped her hand on his shirt. “That hurt. And your armor’s greasy. Ew.”

With the issue of another mage in their group addressed and over with, she turned towards the two boys. The lukewarm expression on Meg’s face quickly flipped to a scowl and she stomped closer. “Oh come on! Don't tell me we're still going after them!?”

2cpqk4k.png

2dgnp0i.png

“We should chase them down! Maybe we could even find their base of operations.” It was a wonder how Gael could communicate with his hands in between cleaning Arthur’s wounds, applying the foul ointment, and wrapping a bandage around the injured areas. In any case, he was still adamant about the matter and didn’t seem to care about Ferris’ mini revelation, which may be a good sign considering his faction. “I have to hunt those who abuse magic. If those bandits...”

Meg held a hand up to stop the rapid gestures. She shook her head from side to side then focused her stare on the beast tamer’s weary face. “I don’t understand what he’s saying, but uh... I’m thinking that’s a yes?” Gael nodded in response and she groaned in exasperation. “We just saved you two from getting skinned and you’re marching back to the slaughterhouse? You aren’t even banda- Oh. Don’t you dare. Stop! Stop it!” Upon hearing her argument, their mute companion worked up a frenzy, hands moving in a blur as he tended to his bruises. Twinkleclaws even seemed to match his frantic movement by twitching his head to and fro. In a short moment of waiting, both Gael and Arthur looked suitable enough for travel. Just ignore the split lips and the black eyes.

“They went north, right? To a lake?” Meg repeated dryly as Twinkleclaws chirped and hopped to another place. These two were idiots. “Gee. Evil magic. In a lake. Gives me the heebee-jeebies. Maybe they’re summoning fishes. Wow. Oh, Arthur... Really? You're going along with this? Ferris? I don't even need to ask the giant chicken. Ugh.”

• Love
wo3kFNK.png

vfiVRSL.png

"I'm sorry, Meg, but we can't just let them go. They're dangerous and other people could get hurt." Arthur raised a hand in an attempt to appease the angry fire mage. It didn't work, and soon enough, he was backing up into Twinkleclaws and Gael. Meg could be a real firestorm when she wanted to be, but the Keeper of Light within Arthur refused to let intimidation get the better of him. "We'll play it smart this time, we promise."

"Uh-huh, smart, yeah... you two are anything but that." Ferris would have poked fun at Meg for naming her familiar Chili—out of all the names in the frigging world—but like the fire mage, he was anything but amused. This was why heroes always died first, damn it! Really, if they allowed Arthur and Gael to lead on, they'd probably be lying dead in some hellhole of a bandit camp before they even got anywhere close to that stupid rift. "I don't like the idea either, but judging by the look in those idiots' eyes, they're going to go with or without us. We might as well... tag along?" The wanderer let out a sigh, wow, even Twinkleclaws was raring to go. "It was nice knowing you, Meg."

The rest of the day was spent traveling, but come nightfall, the weary adventurers finally reached a small settlement by the port. Several stalls were scattered around the harbor and small tents were erected here and there so travel-weary adventurers could rest their tired bones.

Arthur, alongside Gael, approached a rather scruffy looking soldier who was staring out to sea.

The keeper asked if he had seen a group of armed men and women, and the man mentioned he had seen something of that sort a few hours ago.

"Sorry lads and lass, my memory's a little hazy. Perhaps some coin will help loosen my tongue, yes?"

Arthur pressed a silver coin into the man's hand. It upset him, how almost no one was willing to help a person out for free these days, but what did coin matter if the world was going to come to an end. "So did they head north?" He repeated.

"Aye, they did, but it looks like you folks are out of luck."

Ferris exchanged a hopeful look with Meg. Maybe this guy would knock some sense into Gael and Arthur, tell them how stupid they were being.

"Why is that?" Came Arthur's response.

"You see, the last ship left around an hour ago. The next one probably won't be here until tomorrow, possibly a day or two after if you're unlucky." The man grinned revealing rows of yellow-ish and crooked teeth. "Looks like you folks will be staying here awhile. If you don't mind me askin', what business do you have with them anyway? None of them look like the friendly sort, if you know what I mean."

• Love
2irk80p.png

2cpqk4k.png

“What do you think you’re doing!?” Meg screamed and her palm collided against the back of Arthur’s head. Unfortunately, the smack wasn't for the reason Ferris thought it would be. The poor Keeper was a bit startled by her action, but the deed was done... A bit of their money was once again deposited on a stranger’s greasy palm. Everyone was tired, but this was just pushing it. This was exactly why she followed Arthur and Gael! They weren’t lords and ladies to be doling out coins like that! All the expenses they made just for today made the accountant in her cry tears of blood.

“Arthur, I’m sure you’re a great fighter, but you’re going to empty our pockets just by asking random questions! And you! You dirty, cheating...!” She couldn’t do anything but shake her fist at the informant, who was a silver coin heavier than when they found him. Silver! What he said wasn’t even worth a brass piece!

Meg’s irritation gave her the will to fix her posture and she drew herself to her full height, all thoughts about rest now erased from her mind. The audacity! “If you’re going to ask us a question, you should pay too!” The mage scoffed and spread her palm out impatiently. Chili, née Prometheus, kept silent as they watched the event unfurl.

Contrary to Meg’s aggressive way of dealing with the problem, Gael bowed his head to the man and glanced at the camp site. So the ships would arrive tomorrow...? Who knows how much the bandits could have prepared by then? He stroked the griffon’s neck as he mused about the matter. As the only templar in the group, he assumed he was the only one with a broad knowledge of how to mitigate and stop hostile magic. If those knaves were as many as the rumors said then they would have a bit of a problem, especially if a dark ritual was afoot. Ah, but first things first.

“Maybe we should claim a spot first? Twinkleclaws and I will go ahead to set up the tents,” Gael waved his hands at the others, trying to distract Meg especially from lobbing fiery projectiles where she pleased. He walked to the edge of the gathering and started to unload the bags clasped atop his avian friend. The griffon seemed very pleased that his task of being the group donkey had ended for the day.

• Love
wo3kFNK.png

vfiVRSL.png

"Gael is right, setting the docks on fire won't do us any good." Arthur stepped between Meg and the irritated soldier, a slight frown tugging on the corner of his lips. "We're all tired, it's been a long day and some of us are a bit cranky, but we're not going to do anything brash, understood?" The last word was weightier than rest because the Keeper was far too tired and bruised to deal with Meg getting into a brawl with some guy.

"Ohohoho, let's not do anything brash, he says." Ferris grinned smugly. "Remind me, who ran after the bandits again, Art?"

"That isn't anything like this," the usually calm keeper snapped and his eyebrows furrowed in irritation, the frown on his face quickly turning into an ugly scowl. "Gael and I didn't go picking fights for no reason. Those bandits are dangerous, and someone might get hurt if we don't do anything." Crossing his arms over his chest with a huff, Arthur marched after Gael and Twinkleclaws without saying another word.

The wanderer rubbed the back of his head and sighed. "Geez, Meg, those two can be really stubborn when they want to be, huh?" And here he was thinking they were the ones that needed looking after. After today, it was was clear that the Templar and Keeper were the ones who needed extra supervision. Hah, and Arthur had the nerve to call him an overgrown child. "Say, Meg, while those two sulk and makeout, do you want to walk around with me? You know, see the sights and hit the town." He gave her a winning smile. "I know you've been dying to go on a date with me. Don't be shy, alright? There's plenty of me to go around." Despite how flirty it sounded, Ferris said most of the things he did in jest. Meg was cute and all and hot both literally and figuratively, but she was waaaay too scary to be his type, and during the course of their journey had been more of a bro to him than either the uptight Arthur or the mysterious Gael. He liked her. "Whaddya say? If we run into food, I'm buying."

Meanwhile, back at camp, Arthur wrestled with the tent. The whole smelling like herbs thing was making him really cranky, but being away from the more noisy members of their team also helped him clear his head a little. Driving one of the wooden stakes into the ground, he looked to Gael. "So why are you trying to get to the rift?" After allowing the question to sink in he mustered up a weary smile. "I'm looking for my friends and family." To some the rift was a sensitive topic, so Arthur figured that maybe if he said a bit about himself, Gael would feel more free to do the same.

• Love
2irk80p.png

“I don’t know, Ferris,” Meg, after making one last threatening gesture at the leaving soldier, replied, “I can’t see your positive traits from this side.” She knocked on the menacing horned helmet that protected his head. Judging from the dents here and there, this must be an old favorite. “This thing must be covering it up, huh? And you better be serious about that offer!” The mage stepped away from the dirt path and glanced from left to right. The docks were small, and the community established around it was equally quaint. The silence and the lack of urban nightlife made her miss the city. Chattering around a bonfire never did quite replace the nostalgia.

“Well, what are you waiting for? Come on!” Meg motioned for Ferris to get moving. She picked up her skirts and trudged towards the wharf, watching for any signs of activity within the houses. “Ugh. I miss the capital; it was always noisy and bright. The places we’ve passed by were peaceful.” It wasn’t as if she was admitting that she hated idyllic environments, but growing up in a melting pot made you anticipate the ebb and flow of people, you know? “Even the bookshop where I worked at was noisy. How about you? Got a place to return to after all this is over?” It didn’t hurt to ask, but she didn’t mind it either if Ferris didn’t answer. It wasn’t in her nature to probe other people about their pasts.

Meg stopped just outside the ring of houses built near the docks and stood on her toes. “Welp, I can’t smell anything enticing from here. Just fish. And more fish.”

2cpqk4k.png

Gael was perfectly accustomed to working in silence, so he jolted in surprise when Arthur made an inquiry. He lifted his hands from the stake he was pummeling to the ground and oriented himself towards the Keeper of Light, whilst Twinkeclaws continued pulling the tent flaps upward. The big chicken was having a hard time and often unraveled the tents with an errant wing flap, but at least he was trying to help.

The templar placed his hand over his chin and glanced upward. His reason was a bit embarrassing to explain, so he might have to tweak a few truths in there. “I too am searching for someone. My mentor, or as we call them, Guardian Siv.” That was a good reiteration, but maybe he should flesh it out a bit? Gael sat down cross-legged and gestured once again. “She sent me a message to meet up with her at the forward camp, but I’m sure I’ll find her on the way there. I hope. It’s a bit like your reason, isn’t it?”

He motioned quickly and pointed at the night sky. “Zenara help us with this endeavor.” After that, Gael resumed tying the tents down. That... wasn’t much of a conversation, was it? Poor Arthur.

• Love
vfiVRSL.png

"I'll have you know, this helmet is a keeper. The ladies love a battle-hardened badass." Ferris beamed brightly as he continued strolling alongside Meg, she was easier to talk to than Arthur and Gael, and while her temper was force to be reckoned with, the words just seemed to flow and he ended up learning a thing or two about his teammate. So she was a city girl who used to work at a bookstore? A little unexpected, since books were... you know, highly flammable. "I never pictured you working at bookshop, heh, I guess Art isn't the only nerd on the team, kidding, kidding."

In an attempt to dodge any possible attacks, Ferris skipped ahead of her and eyed the several stalls. Meg was right, there was nothing particularly appetizing around, but fish was better than cabbage and it'd been awhile since they'd been at a port side settlement.

"Not really, the road's always been my home. You see, ma and pa were traveling merchants and we used to be a part of this caravan that would wander around. I left the caravan and the rest is history. Don't really know where my folks are," despite the serious nature of their conversation, Ferris kept a winning smile plastered to his face. "But nowadays, who does, right? But yeah, I know what you mean. Ever since the rift happened, everything's been so dead and depressing—just like Art's sense of humor." Ferris yanked off his helmet and smiled brightly. "So what about you, Meg, you returning to your old life when this is all over? I imagine it'll be freaking hard for any of us to do that, but oh well." The wanderer strode to the nearest stall and bought a kilo of fish. After pressing a bronze coin into the woman's hand, he made his way back to Meg.

"What's say we forget about the rift for now and grill fish like normal people? I'll, uh, try to make sure you don't set the port ablaze, and if we're feeling generous, we can bring some back for Art and Gael? So Meg, would you go on a dinner date with me?"

After waiting for Meg's reply, they headed away from the port and towards the shore where the sand met the ocean. Normally, making one's way towards the rocky beach at night wouldn't exactly be a wise choice, but considering Meg was lighting their way, Ferris didn't sweat it.

"Just a bit farther," he announced as he scrambled across several of the larger rocks that were scattered around the beach. "Perfect, now we won't be able to burn anything down, not that I don't have faith in your powers, Meg, but yup, we're here! Really pretty, huh?"

wo3kFNK.png

It took a few moments for Arthur to piece Gael's gestures together, but when he did, he nodded his head. "Our reasons are similar. My family and friends were Keepers, and they were sent on a mission a couple of years back but I couldn't go because I hadn't managed to tame a familiar." It was a bit of a sore point for Arthur, but he and his teammates had stared death in the eye together, so what harm would getting to know each other a little more do anyway? "They never came back, so I'm hoping that I'll find them or hear of them along the course of our travels. I know not to get my hopes up, but it's nice to imagine a light at the end of the tunnel, isn't it?"

Maybe they wouldn't find who they were looking for, but Arthur was sure they'd find something. He was an optimist deep at heart and believed life had a tendency to throw good things at people who worked hard. Because, he'd met them, hadn't he? After driving the last stake into the ground, Arthur wrestled with the ropes once more. It took a bit of effort on his part, but soon he had one of the tents set and ready for the night.

A silence hung over both men before Arthur spoke once more. He was so used to being surrounded by Keepers, that being in a group of merely four people made him feel lonely from time to time. Arthur missed the Keep and its spacious library that always had one or two mages in it, he missed the many halls the children of the faction would run across and the mess halls that were always filled to the brim with lively chatter and tales of courage. He wondered if he'd ever get to go back, if the world would ever go back to the way it used to be. "If you don't mind me asking, Gael, what was this mentor of yours like? She must be a very important to you. I hope you'll find her, and that we'll all find what we're looking for."

• Love
2la52bm.png

rwky74.png

So Arthur was looking for his family… It was hard to believe that so many able fighters would leave their home undefended, but then again the danger of the rift threatened everyone regardless of faction. “I’m sure you will. There’s always power in numbers,” Gael quickly signed. It was cruel of him to suggest otherwise, without even knowing the capabilities of those Keepers. Two years without contact though… He hesitated before drawing his hand across his stomach in a wavy pattern, trying to emulate unrest and discomfort. That wasn’t the exact sign language he should’ve used, but he thought it would be more obvious if he made that gesture. “It must have been strange without them.”

The templar stood up and dusted off his pants, casting a glance at his trustworthy animal companion. Twinkleclaws had fallen asleep as they were doing their task and he didn’t feel it in him to disturb the poor creature’s rest. “One bad thing about being a beast tamer is when your friend is tired, you feel it too,” Gael joked and motioned at the giant pile of feathers floating away to dreamland. It was disconcerting the first few weeks of the bond, but all templars who shared that connection eventually got used to it. The interim was filled with dizzy spells, the occasional “howling at the moon” episode, and incessant hunger though. “Thank Zenara my transition was smooth.” He added, mostly to himself.

Just then, Arthur posed a question regarding Siv. It was closely inching on treacherous territory, this talk. He wasn’t quite sure how to react. “She was… is…” Gael struggled to form the words, much more sign them. He stared up at the night sky and bit his lip. “My parents didn’t like my decision to join the templars. They wanted me to be a hunter too. So, Siv supported me. She was a mother, a mentor, a friend… I’m used to listening to her advice. I’m lost without her.” He momentarily wrung his hands in frustration at his inability to express himself, and then continued, “Yes. Important. Very important. I wish everything will be fine in the end.” The faint hope that bounced off of his words was accompanied by a smile, one that Gael quickly broke by staring someplace else.

“Tents are up. Let’s go look for Meg and Ferris. I saw them head over to the town earlier? … Those two seem to be spending an awful amount of time together,” Gael explained as he turned his back on the tents. “There’s nothing wrong with that. It is just an observation... I hope they have food though. I'm hungry.”

4kcnm0.png

“Pretty as a picture. That guy wins the cake though. He’s the perfect background music,” Meg agreed, and then pointed her finger at a slumped figure a few meters from them. Judging from the snoring and the scattered bottles near the rock he had used as a pillow, the man was drunk. At least he was unconscious. The fire mage shook her head and sat down on a boulder, pushing the excess cloth of her skirt behind her knees while Ferris built a campfire. Then, magic!

“So, what were we talking about? Oh yeah, life and all that.” She pulled out a fish and winced. It wasn’t gutted cleanly, so she probably should check again just in case. “If the bookstore’s still standing when I return, why not right? I mean, the only thing I do there is repair books. I know, I know, weird job for a mage with fiery hands but… Eh?” Meg shrugged and threw the fish on top of the pile Ferris was roasting, which fell and sprayed embers everywhere. It was quickly fixed without anyone earning injuries, but the first two roasts were beyond saving. “Anyway. The owner said I would get less stressed if I had a nonliving thing in front of me instead of someone’s annoying mug, so I got that bit. But it works, almost like I’m in a different world when I’m staring at a ripped page and wondering how the frig to piece it back, and I don’t have to play nice to people who keep peeling the covers of the new editions.” Silence fell over their little camp, and Meg stared at her feet for a while, once again forgetting the fish she was cooking. One side was badly burnt, so she just flipped it and waited for the other part to smoke.

The sound of footsteps alerted them to the arrival of their other companions. Gael raised one hand in greeting and sat across from Ferris, nose crinkled at the smell of burning fish. “Um… Are we eating those? Are those even edible?

“Don’t get sassy on me, birdman. You aren’t getting any for that stunt you and Arthur pulled earlier,” Meg lightly teased and pretended to smack the templar with a badly seared barbecue. He smiled and took the stick from her, but stared down at it without doing anything else.

Last edited:
  • Love
wo3kFNK.png

"We'll find her soon enough," Arthur reassured as he placed a firm hand on Gael's shoulder. He'd always thought of the Templars as aggressive magic haters with heavy armor and giant swords, but his friend had taught him otherwise. And during the course of their travels, the Keeper had grown fond of both Gael and Twinkleclaws. Really, if there was anything good about the rift, it was that it helped bring the factions together.

The thought made Arthur smile, but he was interrupted from his daydream when Gael mentioned Ferris and Meg. There wasn't any smoke in the distance and he couldn't hear Ferris screaming, so he figured they were alright. "Now that you mention it, I'm hungry too. Let's find them then."

vfiVRSL.png

"Huh, that's not such a bad business decision. Y'know, since it wouldn't be any good if you burned a customer or anything like that. But yeah, so books, hard to imagine you going back to a life like that when this is all over." Actually, it was pretty difficult to imagine any of them living normal lives after this. The rift, the demons, they'd been living in a world of chaos and destruction for over two years now.

He wasn't going to miss it or anything, but it was just hard to imagine an after.

"Hah, binding books, fixing swords. Normal is going to feel so weird." The smell of burnt fish reached Ferris and he made a mental note to never let Meg cook again. "So Meg, do you maybe wanna watch the waves or anything? I know it's dark, but you can light things up, enjoy the view, and I can take over... yeah, you're really bad at this." Ferris tried to be tactful at first, but tactful wasn't his style and he gave up halfway.

“Um… Are we eating those? Are those even edible?

Gael and Arthur! Just the guys Ferris wanted to see. "Heyooo, Art, you can cook right?"

wo3kFNK.png

The Keeper arched an eyebrow in question but mouthed a silent 'oh' when his eyes landed on the charcoal-black fish. "A little, yeah, nothing fancy."

"Great. We don't need anything fancy, just someone less passionate about flames. No offense, Meg, you know I love you." Winking, the wanderer rushed up behind Arthur and began pushing the cleric towards their makeshift bonfire.

"Oh... okay? Hi Meg?" Arthur waved a little before Ferris gave him one more shove. "I can take over if you'd like?"

"No, no, no, it's not optional. If you want us to eat, you'll have to do it, Art."

Arthur's eyebrows furrowed in irritation. Yes, Meg wasn't the best cook out there, but there were more tactful ways to suggest that. Hopefully, the fire mage wouldn't end up upset. The Keeper waited for a protest or retort, but when that didn't come, he started to man the grill. "Gael and I have set up camp, we should be good to go in the morning. One of the soldiers in the area said a boat would come by around sun rise or so."

"Great," Ferris exchanged a quick look with Meg. Were Arthur and Gael still planning on following the bandits... or?

"The soldier also mentioned a few settlements scattered up north before the wastelands."

4kcnm0.png

"Settlements, huh..." Meg pursed her lips and let go of the stick she was holding, ignoring the hiss when yet another fish barbecue met a fiery end. Thankfully she chose to ignore all criticisms regarding her lack of culinary abilities. It helped that Gael sat beside her and started grilling. Surely hunters know a lot about living on the lean side? You'd guess he would, what with that feral get-up. "If there's a bazaar in those, we could restock our supplies and then some."

She had to bite back a retort about how they could buy more things if only Arthur didn't stop to pay everyone they met. They were going to need better equipment soon, especially her. The keepers she overheard back home said that a mage's power was dependent on her staff; Meg would be no help in a grave situation with this glorified clothesdryer as her weapon.

With the two boys working together, they managed to have a decent meal that night. Gael insisted that everyone turn in early in preparation for tomorrow, which they did despite an initial bout of grumbling.

2la52bm.png

rwky74.png

The templar was up at the crack of dawn several hours later, tending to their camp site and rechecking equipment to make sure everything was in place. Gael also had the initiative to prepare breakfast for the team, though he doubted anyone would appreciate his effort. It was just day-old bread and fruit Twinkleclaws had gathered from a grove nearby, maybe even a couple of grilled fish. For someone with his lifestyle though, these were the standard fare.

Meg woke up at her own pace, at usual. There was still time before the ship arrived so she sat in front of the dying campfire, staring at the embers with bleary eyes while her hands ripped chunks off the tough bread. She really wasn't a morning person.

Last edited:
  • Bucket of Rainbows
vfiVRSL.png

wo3kFNK.png

The rest of the morning consisted of them packing up their belonging and preparing for their upcoming trip towards the north. It would be a long time before they even got close to the rift so Arthur focused on the bandits instead, where they might go and where they might strike next. There was no guarantee they'd even catch the troublemakers since they no longer knew where they had run off to, but he was awfully quiet as they folded the tents and as he checked their supplies for the nth time that morning. The keeper wore a thoughtful look on his face.

Even the talkative Ferris was quiet as he munched on some of the fruits Twinkleclaws had gathered, though unlike Arthur, it wasn't because he was thinking about their future. Ferris was just really sleepy because he wasn't much of a morning person either.

"You two should really just forget about them," Ferris yawned. "It's better that way."

Arthur wanted to shake his head but Ferris had a point. As much as he hated to admit it, he and Gael had been a little silly the other day. "Maybe. Just make sure none of you leave anything behind." Supplies weren't very easy to come by nowadays after all.

"Yeah, yeah, you've said that like a hundred times already, Art."

An hour after they had finished packing, a boat docked at the harbor. It wasn't very big, enough for maybe only a dozen or so passengers. The captain was a raggedy looking woman with a trench coat a few sizes too big for her. She had several daggers strapped to her belt and a perpetual frown.

Arthur noticed that they were the only passengers waiting at the docks.

"You lot looking to get across?"

Before anyone could say a word, Ferris tipped his helmet in greeting. "Yes, ma'am—"

"Get on then," she barked. "Whaddya waiting for, an invitation? We don't have all day." A shadow fell over her already gloomy features. "The sea is kindest in the morning."

Arthur didn't wait for her to say anything else. He scooped as many bags as he could into his arms and began hightailing it towards the boat. The captain seemed kind of... unstable. He exchanged a quick glance with his friends as if telling them to hurry.

• Bucket of Rainbows
4kcnm0.png

2la52bm.png

There was a small problem. Well, ‘small’ depending on how you looked at it.

The captain stared up at the griffin, her fingers hovering over the brim of her worn tricorn hat. Twinkleclaws crooned back and spread his wings in a greeting of some sort. “Are we bringing the hen too?” She finally said, whirling around so quickly that her coat swirled around her legs. Gael, who was stealthily inching towards the boat with their supplies in hand, froze. He turned around and beamed a little too brightly at the woman.

“It’s not like there are other passengers,” Meg muttered as she hiked her skirts up and trudged past the sailor. A venomous glare followed her every step, though whether the mage was blissfully unaware of the sentiment or deliberately ignoring it was unclear. Eventually it was decided that Twinkleclaws would occupy one end of the boat while the humans huddled together on the opposite end.

The journey across the lake was going well, for the most part, except Meg seemed queasy. Gael had clambered off to the highest point there was in the ship, a ‘roost’ as the captain mumbled under her breath, and was yet to return. It looked like he was enjoying the air up there anyway, and sometimes his avian companion took wing and circled the brig.

rwky74.png

• Bucket of Rainbows
vfiVRSL.png

wo3kFNK.png

"Hey, Art? You okay? You look a little green in the face." Despite Ferris' attempt to feign concern, glee was written all over the wanderer's face. Arthur always tried to be stoic and prepared, but now, here he was, pressed up against the ship's railing and groaning. "Do you want me to go and get some of Gael's herbs?" An attempt to bite back a snicker. "I bet those'll make you feel a-okay in no time, buddy."

"Ferris."

"What'd you say? You want the whole bag?"

"Ferris."

The wanderer grinned brightly, obviously amused. "Mhm, Art? Just say the word and I'll go get it for you."

"I'm going to puke on you," Arthur scowled before whacking the horned-helmet off of Ferris' head. It hit the deck with a clatter and both boys noticed a pair of silver eyes glaring daggers at them. If looks could kill, they'd be at the bottom of the sea right now.

eLG86cY.jpg

"Stop fooling around on my ship," the woman barked. The ship itself was a mishmash of repairs and old parts, and she didn't need a bunch of adventurers crashing into the railings or leaving scuff marks on the already worn-down deck. "I suggest you act more like your friends." Gael earned a nod of approval, he seemed like the most well-behaved of the adventurers.

Before Arthur or Ferris could apologize, she began walking towards the bow, a frown plastered to her face.

"Yikes, someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed," the wanderer complained. He made a face then left Arthur to go and sit beside Meg. Yeah, he didn't want to get thrown overboard, swimming in armor wasn't exactly on his to-do list.

For the next few minutes all was well, but it didn't last, and soon the captain of the ship was walking towards them, looking even grumpier than before. "I hope you brought your raincoats, it looks like a storm is fast approaching." She pointed to the binoculars around her neck then at the growing storm clouds that loomed overhead. "You there," she looked to Gael. "You see it too, don't you?"

After he relied, she gave them all a weary shake of the head. The storm clouds weren't what worried her the most, but she didn't say that. It was their sudden appearance that struck her as odd because usually there'd be signs, but this morning, there were none and they'd awoken to a blue sky and the promise of warm day. Something wasn't right.

And then there was a rumbling from below and the ship shuddered as the sound of splintering wood filled their ears.

"-lifeboat..."

wo3kFNK.png

Arthur wheezed as he clung onto a wooden board. Quentions, hundreds of questions swirled around his head. What was going on? Had they been ambushed? Were his friends and the captain okay? He struggled to stay adrift as the waves threatened to pull him under. He was far too heavy to float and water was spraying into his mouth and nose. "Gael! Meg! Ferris!"

He stared at the creaking ship and his eyes went wide when he saw a giant tentacle rise from beneath the waves. It pummeled the ship and the resulting wave knocked him away from the his makeshift raft.

Panic swept over him as he began to sink.​

• Love
4kcnm0.png
2la52bm.png

The storm appeared far too quickly for any of them to have prepared. At least that was how it seemed at first, when the little boat rocked violently before splintering in two clean divides. Meg screamed as she lurched forward, losing her footing on the floorboards now slickened with water and falling headfirst into the deep. Gael watched this from his perch on the mast, horrified, but helpless with his inability to yell a warning to the others. He wasn’t given another chance to do so because the ship tipped again, this time sinking further into the rising waves along with his companions and their captain. The templar clung to a thick rope and stared at the broiling waters under him. Slowly but surely, his half of the ship began to descend into the depths. It was only a matter of time. He simply had to decide if he would take the risk now or later.

Gael took a deep breath and closed his eyes. Then, surprised, he opened them once again.

The sky was blue. The heavy grey clouds approaching them like a line of battle-hardened war horses nipped at its heel at an impossibly swift pace, replacing the clear azure with mottled grey with each passing blink. ‘This… This isn’t possible,’ The templar thought with his mouth agape. He snapped out of it and shook his head, shifting positions to see where such a powerful spell- one that altered the very scheme of things- was coming from. ‘Magic? But from where!? And from whom!?’

He didn’t have to wonder for long.

Meg burst out from under the deep, her arms spinning frantically as she tried to beat back the water. She had just managed to regain control of her lungs when a colossal tidal wave appeared, the looming sheet of liquid parted by an even more gigantic, spindly mass which arced above the remains of the transport. The mage watched in awe as it blotted out the sun, then terror as it started a calamitous descent back to sea. What was left of their tiny ship shattered into even tinier pieces and another wave threatened to pull her under. Thankfully, she managed to grab on to a solid surface.

“Ferris!” Meg screamed and nearly throttled the poor adventurer. “I DON’T KNOW HOW TO SWIM HELP ME!!!”

rwky74.png

Meanwhile, Twinkleclaws was floating around, happily staying above the tumultuous waves. It spotted the struggling Arthur and plucked him up, though he couldn’t do much when the Keeper weighed as much as he did in that horrendous metal get-up. The griffon trilled and tilted its head to the side, awaiting orders as if blissfully oblivious of the storm breaking around them.

• Love
wo3kFNK.png

He wasn't going down without a fight, he refused to go down without a fight! And yet, as water filled his lungs panic gave way to acceptance and Arthur found himself sinking. As much as he tried, his actions were futile. Struggling only quickened his descent, and what was the point of trying when failure was inevitable? A sense of hopelessness consumed him, smothering whatever will to fight remained.

Arthur was tired. He tried not think about it, but he'd been tired for a long time now.

The war between the factions, the rift, everything weighed down on him, but as tired as he was, thoughts of his younger siblings tethered him to reality, kept the waves from pulling him under. If he were to die now, who would look after them?

But really, it wasn't a question of what he wanted or didn't want to do... he was just too damn heavy. Azurith protect them.

As Arthur's vision grew dim, he found himself plucked out of the water and deposited safely onto Twinkleclaws' back. It took several gasps to understand what was going on, and the man remained still, coughing and heaving as he ran his fingers through thick feathers in an act of gratitude. The world around him was a blur but the sound of splintering wood and loud yells resonated loudly within his head.

If Twinkleclaws was with him then where on earth was Gael? And what had become of Ferris, Meg, and the Captain?

Tugging on Twinkleclaws' helmet, he pulled himself up into a sitting position. "Gael! Meg! Ferris—"

Reaching out from beneath the waves was one of the sea creature's tentacles. It towered above the wreckage, a dark shadow falling upon those below. Swiftly, it came crashing down, creating even more turbulent waters and sending bits of driftwood and sea water spraying in all directions.

Arthur watched as a wave began to grow, and as he wrapped his arms around Twinkleclaws' neck, he let out a silent prayer.

vfiVRSL.png

From the opposite side of the wreckage, Ferris could only stare on with wide eyes as their ship was ripped apart board from board. But he had more pressing matters to attend to, namely Meg trying to drown him. "MEG! Calm down! Calm the flipping hell down!" It was taking him every sliver of concentration to keep them suspended on a swirling pocket of air and Meg flailing every now and then did little to help. "Meg, I swear to the Gods, if you keep on flailing, I will lose my concentration and WE WILL DIE—STOP, MEG, I MEAN IT!"

And true to Ferris' words, as soon as the next wave crashed into the pair, the spell was dispersed and they fell into the raging waters with a splash.

The following moments were blur of flailing limbs and ear-piercing yells, but Ferris managed to propel them out of the water with a blast of wind and they crashed onto a piece of wood that had once been part of the ship's deck.

The piece of wood shuddered beneath their weight, but Ferris held on tight, screaming for Meg to do the same before a wave crashed over them.

"GET TO SHORE—"

eLG86cY.jpg

A pounding in her head caused her eyes to snap open, and the captain found herself lying face-down on the sandy shore, her hat nowhere in sight and her rifle a few meters away from her. Every inch of her body hurt, but what hurt even more than that was knowing she had lost her ship to some Godforsaken sea monster... and her passengers, by the Gods, were they even still alive?

Jolting upright, she was greeted by the sight of two adventurers pinned protectively beneath the wings of the giant chicken.

Upon closer inspection, the captain realized they were breathing and allowed herself a relieved sigh.

This was good... if can man and bird boy were alive it meant the other two would be safe too, right?​

• Love
2la52bm.png

rwky74.png

Gael dimly felt the pressure easing off his back, and slowly thereafter his skin began to warm. Goosebumps broke all over his body in response after a chill, tickling sensation trailed down his forearms. The templar was prodded to the side when their protector, who had been just as soaked from the disaster, stretched its wings and fluttered rapidly. Sand blew up from the area alongside drops of seawater which peeled off the griffon’s wings, but Twinkleclaws only seemed to be concerned with drying itself instead of the consequences its motions wreaked upon its two half-conscious charges. It abruptly walked off towards the captain once she showed signs of awareness then tried its best to preen her.

The templar soon followed suit. He gingerly sat up and stretched his arms, taking care to inspect the pouches all over his chest and waist area. Relieved that they were mostly intact, Gael moved on to testing the bandages on his shoulders if they still held. Again, there wasn’t much damage except for a few minor tears and a shorn strip. All this time he felt as if he was forgetting someone, and it was only when he was finished fixing his head wrap did he remember that he traveled along with a bunch of people. The realization quickly spurred panic from the beastmaster and he stood up, swiveling from left to right to get his bearings and locate his comrades, only for his dusty foot to hit Arthur’s chest guard.

After an initial twinge of pain, Gael moved to his comrade’s front and struggled to pull him up, watching in pity as rivulets of water streamed out from his armor. Then, he gestured for the two of them to approach the Captain. Once Arthur was ready and the both of them were sure none of them had any serious injuries, they walked towards the woman and Gael wasted no time in gesturing, “Do you know where we are?”

4kcnm0.png

Also on a sandy strip of beach, Meg lay on her back with her eyes closed. Her pale face was tinged a bright pink from having been exposed too long to the sun, so it seemed as though she was still unconscious. However, her clothes were already starting let off thin wisps of stream. Either Prometheus was back in action or the sun was toasting her to a crisp, but at least she was alive.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Status
Not open for further replies.