The Chosen One - Revival

Status
Not open for further replies.
He led the way as he galloped through town center. It was slower to move on horseback, but much safer, and eventually Alure came to a halt on the side of the road, a short distance away from the city. Felix scanned the sky and rocky terrain around them.
We should stay off the main road... He thought, closing his eyes to listen to the to the many travelers that made their ways own the road towards, and away from, the town they had just fled. ...It's a well used path, and anyone could be working for him.
There was a moment of silence before Felix got down from his horse.
"So, you have stayed in this Kingdom all of you life? You must have led a dull childhood," he laughed, leaning against Alure's saddle.

Askari dismounted soon after him, looking away as he spoke and instead focusing on Baron's mane while she formed a response. Seconds passed before she said anything.
"In some ways, yes, I guess you could call it dull." She sighed as memories flooded through her.
"But some were rather interesting... if not for the right reasons." She glanced at him and regretted it, quickly averting her eyes and refocusing on a tangle in Baron's mane.

Felix raised an eyebrow. He didn't really care about her past. But he did want to know if she was aware of her powers, and if so... how apt she was at using them.
"Interesting? Has anything... strange happened to you?" he wasn't sure how she'd react to his question, but to him, it was worth a shot.

She hesitated.
"Not strange, unless you'd consider an abusive father and weak mother strange." She suddenly regretted saying that. It was personal, after all. And she had just met him...
"It wasn't the most severe, I mean, it could have been worse..." She trailed off, trying not to look like a basket case, and certainly not like someone as weak as her mother was...

"Don't think about it too much," he gave her a kind smile and left it at that. He checked the roads and, after making sure they were clear for a while, he turned back to her.
"I told you I'd explain once we left the city walls," he began, while pulling out his dagger. "I always keep my promises." He handed it to her.
"Beyond the border, this world that you're so familiar with changes," he continued, stepping back and stretching out his arms.
"Throw it."

Askari looked down at the weapon and back at him, unsure of what to do. She stared at him for a short time, feeling the weight of the weapon as she tried to decide how she'd interpret what he had just said.
"Throw it..." She said, as if to confirm what he had told her to do. But she didn't give him time to confirm it; just as she was saying it, she pulled back her arm and threw the dagger at Felix, much like she used to throw darts and balls when she was younger.

She had a lucky throw. Felix smiled, watching the ease of her movement. No, she has talent.
The blade whipped towards him, slightly off-centered, veering left, aimed for the heart. Then, without warning it abruptly shifted it's path, flying directly to his right hand, rotating with perfect timing so that its hilt faced him. He caught it, spun it around his fingers, and re-sheathed it in one swift motion. He raised his hands so she could see them.
"Magic," he smirked playfully.

Askari stood there, somewhat dumbfounded. She nearly let her jaw drop, but caught it in time.
"I don't quite believe you. Show me something else, then I'll be convinced." This time, she decided, she'd be ready. If there were any tricks then she'd see them or figure them out fast enough...

Felix ran his fingers through his hair. "My magic is not at its best. What you just saw was a simple weapon spell that was placed beforehand."
He looked up to the sky and sighed, the shadows were growing longer and the sun was disappearing behind the horizon.
"But you will witness more soon, just not the most preferred type," he continued.

Askari scowled, but asked no more questions. Instead, she thought about whether or not she believed him or trusted him and what he meant he said that she'd soon see more. He looks... nervous, almost. That can't be good. She thought, remembering how easily he seemed to have handled the creatures at the inn. Taking a deep breath, she looked to the sky, wondering how long it would be before she got her sleep.
"So what's the plan?" She asked. Might as well follow along. He knows more about what's going on than I do, I'll just have to hope for the best. I see no way out of this...

"For now, we wait," he replied. Aluria whinnied softly as the last rays of light flitted away.
"She'll be gone any second now," he said without emotion. "All magic has it's downsides..." Aluria bowed her head to nudge Felix's shoulder before she, too, faded into thin air.
"Aluria is a Lux-Mare. She only appears when the sun is out, so she'll be back with the morning daylight," he sat down, un-strapping his belongings and letting them down from his back.

Askari scratched Baron's nose, glancing around nervously. That feeling wasn't gone, and now she felt that it may have something to do with the creatures from then inn, and whatever they were now waiting for. She focused on calming her thoughts and regulating her breathing, imagining that she'll need to have energy and think clearly if what was coming was anywhere near as bad as what she'd already seen.

The air was growing colder as night set in. Felix picked up a few stones and piled them in front of him. In a matter of seconds they were on fire, slowly dimming down to a golden glow. It wouldn't produce as much heat as lighting a log would, but there was no wood in sight, and the smoke would draw attention.
They were far enough from the road to not be seen, and the large boulders surrounding the area helped as well. He watched Askari warily, monitoring her like a doctor would a patient.
"We're safe here, those creatures are weak and..." ...can't stray far from their maker. He cleared his throat, deciding it would be best not to tell her the whole truth of who brought the monsters upon her.
"You're safe," he said again.

Askari warily looked at Felix and then the fire before turning to take care of Baron, removing his saddle, blankets and bridle. I'm not safe though. If I was, this feeling would be gone. Why is he lying to me?... Or does he honestly think I'm ok? When she was finished, Askari sat. Baron followed her lead, and as he lay beside her she stroked his nose, watching him as he examined Felix. He didn't seem very comfortable, and at times like these she payed close attention to his instincts.

"You should try to get some sleep," he yawned and laid down, putting his hands behind his head. Soon, he went into a meditative state. Partially resting, but also slightly aware in case of any danger.

He stayed this way until morning, when the gentle nudge of a horse's nose woke him.
"Mmm, hello Alure," he said groggily, blinking a few times.

Askari sighed, wondering if that was even possible, and lay down next to Baron. She lay there awake for what felt like hours. Soon though she was opening her eyes to the sound of Felix talking to Alure and Baron whinnying with discomfort at the sudden appearance of the other horse. She quickly sat up and comforted him, speaking softly while stroking his neck and nose.

Felix rolled over and placed his hand on the ground. This was the easiest way to check the surrounding area for danger. He closed his eyes, spreading his senses out as far as he could above sealevel, then nodded to himself and stood. He turned to Askari. "Good Morning," he smiled, that same cheery, well practiced, fake grin, and began packing his belongings.

"Um... good morning." Askari awkwardly replied, standing up and getting Baron ready. He stood calmly, still waking up as she put on his blankets and saddle, though his demeanor changed when she tightened his girth. Shaking his head, he whinnied in protest.
"Hush, Baron. You can be so grumpy in the mornings." She whispered, stroking his neck before putting on his bridle and reigns. He wasn't too happy about the bit, either.
"Come on, boy. We'll take a nice long break later today, alright? Until then I'm afraid you'll have to deal with this." Kissing his snout, she wondered if that would be possible. She actually had no idea what the plan was and suddenly felt guilty; Though people always said that he was "just an animal", she hated lying to Baron.

Status
Not open for further replies.