The Chanters (restarting, open for new/old players)

You didnt mention where in the wild the cottage was placed, therefore my thought of them not coming across him while not actually searching for him. Oh, and I was wondering if you had any idea as to the origin of these soldiers.
And as for them not looking for any but hateful chanters. Its in regard to them searching for them far and wide. They of course are out finding influential people thinking of going against the Belief. But as they are chanters, and the Belief have waged a war for extinction on them for more than a thousand years, chanters are viewed with suspicion and mistrust in the known lands of Emculor that are "guarded/kept safe" by the Belief. Their supporters are mostly those wronged by the Belief or somehow against them, or just wants to aim for more power. And there are of course those that just wants a better world... optimistic fools.

And about your char thinking of different things... read Kingskiller much ?
Not being human doesnt necessarily mean better, different, not better. But you said "could" so yeah, if you think he can, go for it.

True, true.

And being able to split your mind into different focus groups isn't specifically 'better,' since anyhting 'better' would be 'worse' from another's perspective. If you love being happy and having fun and just party and do nothing else, then being especially super-smart and stuff may not be the best, because then you'd know that you're running out of money, you don't have anywhere to get more, you have to do this, and that, and etc. etc., while someone who is working hard will think that being 'smarter' would be 'better.'

That's not to be mean to partygoers, that's just the first example that came to mind.

And I'm not a partygoer.

so ye.

I guess I should mention that there was one that thought both the god of humanoids, and the god of beasts were wrong...
The god of union, who though that beastmen would be much better.

Or there's that. The strength, speed, and traits of a beast, combined with a humanoid's intellect, mucho better, do you think so?

In a way, more animal instinct to get away from that annoying set of morals humanoids often develop as they get more civalized.

Oh my gawd, there are SO MANY Unspoken! I feel a unbalance in the Force >:L @Windstormugly does the amount of Unspoken fit the story?

Name:
Uguluthu (Oo-goo-luth-Oo)
Race/Heritage: Tails
Appearance: see attachment. Credit goes to ChrisQuilliams on DA
Personality: Ugg can be the very embodiment of a Tail male at times. He has a vision of revenge, passionate and violent. But, on the other, long-fingered hand, he is rather quite inexperienced in many matters of his cold-blooded heart. Due to his lifestyle, he hasn't had much of an opportunity for love, and can be stupidly shy around a certain kind of female.
Skills:
Infrared Vision- Due to his reptilian bloodline, Ugg doesn't see things the way anyone who isn't a Tail does. His vision only comes in vibrant shades of reds and blues and everything in between. Warm-blooded creatures are blatantly obvious in shades of red and orange, while other Reptilians can be almost invisible to him in the right temperature.
Iron Hide- Ugg has an incredibly tough hide. Projectiles that travel below a specific speed won't penetrate him, and he is more or less fireproof - for limited amounts of time.
Tracking- Using a forked tongue to actually taste a familiar scent, Ugg can follow that person or thing. Trails go cold after around ten hours, twelve if the scent is particularly potent.
Faction: No official faction, though his behavior and occupation would have others believe that he is a Curved Blade member.
Biography: Uguluthu's family was slaughtered when he was just a hatchling, hidden under the floorboards of the house. His mother survived the initial attack long enough to take him away and hide him better, but eventually, she too was slain. The attackers were under the impression that Uggs family had Chanting abilities, and thus went to collect the bounty. Unfortunately, these rumors were more or less false...
Chanting Abilities: Unfortunately, while Uguluthu and his parents had the innate knowledge of Chants, a trademark lisp presented dangerous consequences to trying to utter the words for even the most simple Chant. Yes, this is completely unfair, and has always presented Ugg with a nagging desire to be something else. Sometimes, he dreams of being human and using the chants he knows to take revenge.
Chants: N/A
Affiliated god: N/A

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 10
Ok then. this is a kind of test character, to see if I can work with more unstable personalities. i'll just have loss of positive memories just a side effect rather than actually to do with a god.

@Gulliver that made my day. "a trademark lisp..." there is no need for actual pronunciation when making chants of your own, you could hum or even whistle them, though if he has gotten the impression that it needs to be spoken in a certain way I suppose he is "incapable" of chanting. There is also no difference in the amounts of humanoids and beastmen that are chanters. Real beasts are rarer, but I dont think any of you want to play as a beast incapable of normal speech ?
And also yes, I had not thought of so many being Unspoken. My own fault for not making them out to appear more evil and sinister... Though that applies to the whole story. What does Ugg think of teeths and wings as meals ?
Oh, and about his skills, no training with weapons ? As he is a mercenary.

@Raitoningu that will work just fine, you could always have it be due to some chant going wrong, or along those lines.

Last edited:
@Bitterblue I just thought that she seemed to nice of a person to be in the Unspoken, but its fine if you want to have her there, how did she find them in that case, its not like they are residing in the cities of Freeledge, they live in remote locations and secret dwellings.
She doesnt have to belong to any faction, one of the plots of the story is for a new faction to be created. And she could always be part of some kind of healers guild, maybe they dont care that she is a chanter seeing as how she can even revive the (just) dead.

@Gulliver nah, all and any skills you think are worth mentioning.

Name: Murky Waters, It which clouds their eyes
Race/Heritage: Fins [anglerfish]
Appearance:
Murky Waters, It which clouds their eyes is a anglerfishman with a mouthful of needle sharp teeth and a body covered with fins, webbing, scales and mucus. his eyes are large and pale accustomed to the deep-water caves of his peoples shrines. His angler light glowing faintly or sharply with a pale light. His body and limbs are long and thin. When on land He usually crawls or walks bent over but if he were to stand up straight he would tower over most men. He wears a fishnet loincloth where he keeps fishing hooks and other useful items.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/theallmigthyone/13678060713/
(The picture is an example of my terrible Photoshop and drawing skills.)
(I couldn't get the Image attaching to work so any help with that would be great.)

Personality:
Being a tribe shaman makes Murky Waters, it which clouds their eyes naturally superstitious and he believes that behind every wrongdoing there's a bigger fish to fry.
Like his fellow tribesmen Murky Waters, It which clouds their eyes believes that if it can be skewered on a gig or caught in a net you can eat it, and if time can be spared leaving it in water for a few weeks makes it bloated and delicious otherwise raw food will do. Quite fascinated by the strange customs of the land dwelling creatures Murky Waters, It which clouds their eyes is eager to learn new things about this foreign world. Although he appreciate fine craftsmanship as well as the next man he sees true beauty in the things which can be found in nature, specifically the sea, such as a pebble slowly formed by grinding sands and waves or pretty seashells.
They say dolphins will help sailors lost at sea to find their way back to land but Murky Waters, it which clouds their eyes will take them all the way to the dining table.
Everything is considered fish until proven otherwise, the most for proof being if it's edible.

Skills:
Net maker, fishmonger, swimming, diving, breathe under water, breathe on land, catching, gigging, fishing, nautical navigation, healing Fins (He is not familiar with healing practices of other races), regurgitation, ichthyomancy, luring (with his light)
Faction:
Murky Waters, It which clouds their eyes first and foremost is his tribes Shaman but his Tribe often do business with the Golden wheel and the Curved blades.
Biography:Murky Waters, It which clouds their eyes is the Shaman of a small tribe of fins out in the great waters of the south. Murky waters, It which clouds their eyes trained under the last Shaman: Pale Pearl, treasure in ugly shell and he was trained by the shaman before him. The Shaman line of his tribe are Chanters. His people live on floating hovels and in underwater caves in the stormy sea, rarely visiting land and feeling great comfort in the bad weathers and dark depths keeping interaction with strangers to a minimum. He was chosen as a small fry by Pale Pearl, treasure in ugly shell to undergo Shaman training because of his prowess at chanting. Growing up he trained hard and helped out with the duties life in the tribe demanded of him. When he got older he visited the dry shores to the north and learned more about these strange lands from his kinsmen by the coast. Murky Waters, It which clouds their eyes have never felt hunted for his powers because his tribe as a whole stays hidden and feels hostile actions against him to be directed at his tribe, although he has learned from his kinsmen that people that is considered as chanters are being hunted on land. His tribe/village is called Flotsam, that which stays afloat.

Chanting abilities: If any:Murky Waters, it which clouds their eyes chanting powers is a distilled knowledge passed on from generations of chanters with unknown origin. The chants relate to the culture of his people allowing him to channel powers to control the weathers, the seas and the creatures within it. In times of famine he can chant to bring food to his peoples nets , In times of fear he can chant to bring the mists thick around their homes, in times of plenty he can bring water from the skies and darkness from the depths to take it all away. Murky Waters, It which clouds their eyes chants by calling attention to himself from the force he wish to channel by shouting poems, waving his arms about and throwing fish guts around him, the waving and fish guts isn't really necessary but as a Shaman the show is half the magic.

Chants:

It which feeds us: Even the most skilled fisher will often have to wait a long time before catching something so to help your belly fed you sometimes have to give it a helping hand. Although mainly used to get a fish caught on a hook or in a net this chant is applicable whenever "All good things come to those who waits" isn't soon enough. The longer you wait for what you want the more plausible it is for the chant to work.

It which blows: calls on the weather to change the direction and intensity of the wind. When done under water it changes currents.

It which drizzles: calls on the skies to open bringing forth rain in varying quantities.

Fish from below: Fish surges up from the depths bursting the water surface with enough speed to launch them a fair distance with mixing results. This chant must be done near water.

It which hides us: with either thick fog or heavy rain obscuring vision so that the chanter can't be seen, nor anyone else in the afflicted area. If done underwater it will either make the water murky or fill it with bubbles making it opaque. Because the lack of vision makes it hard to move in the wet shroud it's best used to avoid trouble rather than solving it.

Tempest: Call on horrible storms bringing water and fish alike, form above, from bellow, from everywhere. At sea it will bring forth great waves. The ritual required to perform this chant involves a pool or bowl of water mixes with fish blood and the consumption of five fish heads, the bodies placed in a circle around the water. No one have ever tried using more then five fish but it has been said that it'll be enough. Would anything or anyone but the chanter disturbe the water no one knows what could happen.

True Chant: "Summon bigger fish"
Imagine that picture of the little fish being eaten by a bigger fish who is then eaten by a even bigger fish and so on and so on. Now imagine you're the small fish, the bigger fish don't really matter because you've already been eaten, but if the bigger fish ate the big fish just a moment sooner you'be be off scott-free. That's the Idea behind this chant, the chanter will be able to deal with the immediate threat by calling on a even bigger and fishier threat to deal with the first one and to prevent the new threat from causing trouble: bigger fish! The amount of times this will repeat depends on how well the chanter has prepared and for how long he is able to continue chanting. The effects can result in anything from a whale falling from the heavens to a horrific monster lurking in the depths to burst forth. To efficiently predict how many times a bigger fish will come the chanter will have to put smaller fishes into bigger fishes for as many times as he wishes bigger fish to be summoned, this matryoshka fish will then be eaten in the preparation of the chant. The dangerous thing with big fish is that they can often eat several smaller fish and might do just that if not stopped soon enough. Of course fish just don't hang around waiting to be called upon so In reality the summon actually brings forth fish from the great seas of Murky Waters, it which clouds their eyes mind to materialize in our realm, although Murky waters, it which clouds their eyes don't know that and believes strongly that behind every corner, in every cloud and under every rock there hides a bigger fish just waiting to summoned even if there wasn't one there the first time you looked.

Example of chant:
Wishy-washy, swimy slimy
slithering little fish!
scaly-waly, sandy handy
I shall eat your fins!
full and round, offal and guts
your innards make me strong
now with a great roar, I need you once more
In my nets, in my hands on my hooks in my mouth
my fish I'll eat you up!

This is an example of the chant fish from below, In order to get as many fish as possible the chanter would have to starve himself so that he can really focus on all those delicious fish.

Patron God: God of the sea

This is my first RP on Iwaku and my first CS so if I got something wrong feel free to help me out.

Attachments

• fishman5.png
    fishman5.png
    49.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: Windstormugly
@TheAllMightyOne Im not really sure if one should be able to make fish rain from the heavens... I can understand if one is in the sea, but on land not so much. And "Summon bigger fish" I think its more logical to have it be a materialization of a fish that Iwcte has in his mind (when on land, or if there are no sea-monsters nearby). And please refer to him as Iwcte, it will be a real hassle reading "Murky waters, It which clouds their eyes" all the time. Ill make my characters refer to him as Iwcte anyway.
Otherwise I dont have any real issues with him. Love the character, hope you play him as fishy as his cs.

@Windstormugly you can just call him "Murky Waters" or "Murky" he'll just be annoyed when people whom he don't know well enough use his full name to his face. About summoning fish it's not uncommon with raining fish in real life, a tornado pics the fish up while over water and flings it off over land often several miles from the coast. I'll think more about the true chant. :-)

@Bitterblue wonderfull, a traveling healer then ? Or something along those lines.

@TheAllMightyOne I figured Murky waters was like a family-name. But Ill call him that if you think its better. (and here I wanted to call him Iwcte). And about the raining fishes, I know it happens, with frogs as well. But the power needed to:
1 move the air needed to form a tornado
2 have it take up fish from the sea
3 move it to another location maybe hundreds of miles away (probably less but in a worst case scenario) without the fish "escaping" from it
4 having it deposit the fish in the right place and then disperse (stopping a weather phenomena after it has begun can be more taxing than creating one)
Unless you think it along the lines of the same chants having been sung for generations and thus having gained a momentum of their own?

Last edited:
And remember, my gentleman hawk [funny, because hawks are known to drop from the sky unexpecting, causing all the little critters to scream and run from terror, and generally cause a mass panic while surprise-snatching someone for a snack] might helpz you

and if you ask nicely, he may even come with you to helpz :DD

Name: abbott tax
Race/Heritage: cat or part of the "ears" group.
Appearance:
RAKASTA.JPG

Personality: abbott is a extremely patient and determined person. if he wants something or has some goal in mind. he will do whatever it takes to get there. hes not much of a brute, hes more like a business man. only resorting to violence when the situation calls for it, otherwise he would search for a diplomatic solution. some would say abbott is a self centered and ruthless man. though, he would tell them they're wrong and he is not a man at all, so they would be politically incorrect and that the official term is a business feline.

Skills:
*persuasion
*barter
*swords and some training with small knifes.
*hand to hand combat.
*horseback riding.
*stealth

Faction: The Golden wheel
background: from the moment of birth abbott was brought into the world of trading. his entire family were travailing merchants, so they moved as one giant caravan. once they got into a city they would split up and set up shop for awhile. once they were done, they rounded back up and put the earnings into one giant stockpile. the tax family would then resupply and get the essentials: food, clothes, repairs. etc.

abbott would commonly accompany his father when they split up to sell merchandise. maybe it was luck, maybe it was coincidence, but just like his father abbott had the gift of the gab. so, as abbott got older he helped his father out at his vending stall. around the age of 15 he was kicked out of his family's caravan. abbott had to do the only thing he had done his entire life in order to survive. he scourged up some cash and started up his own caravan and started traveling.

Chanting abilities: abbott uses his chats though words.

abbott wasn't born into a family of chanters. none of his family were. he learned about chanters early into his teenage years but didn't quite care for them. it wasn't till he was around 15 when he found out the power be hide them. he was visiting a old town by the name of humteeth. from the moment he heard the towns name he knew it was going to be a strange experience.

he was sent at a shrine for a delivery. he wasn't sure what it was but his father had him make the drop. abbott walked into the shrine and was greeted with a fireball. he was lucky enough not to of gotten hit with it, but unfortunately abbott used the package as a shield and it burned as a result. he didn't get payed, but he did get a lecture on how not to enter peoples homes without knocking first. he asked the old man what cause the fire ball... though at the time he regretted it, for he was met with a whole lecture about chanters. though this is what sparked his interest into becoming a chanter. abbott was able to convince the old man to train him. he agreed reluctantly.

both in his free time or any time he could sneak away. abbott would be at the shrine learning and training to become a chanter. at first he tried the different ways of channeling chants. he found that words seem to flow best and he it easier and a bit more convenient to use then the others. though he did like the old mans whistling chants. abbott was only able to do this for about a month before his family left town. he did not have any real time to prefect any chants, though he did learn the basics of how to chant. in secrecy abbot continued his training while travailing. his first chant was like a projected voice... or a mini sonic boom. at first it drained him of his energy and eventually he showed his father. his father was both impressed and dissapointed. his father told him to leave the caravan after they arrived to the next city. him being able to chant would distupt the peace of the group and bring the beilf down on them. his father gave him some of the stockpiled gold so he could start his own life away from the family.

Chants:
true chant: nine lives
the fragile clock goes tick tock. the hand every persistent to reach zero.
before the hand reaches zero, it must first past one
let the hand be reversed to nine, and every strike bring it back closer to zero.
the clock chimes with every strike. its loudest chime is during the last hour.
during one's last hour, one has the chance to reset the hand back to nine.
the fragile clock always hits zero. no matter your efforts,they will all be fruitless.
let the man who sees our arrival and departure from life turn back the clock from one to nine.
let one be grateful for the gift of being able to delay the countdown from one to zero.
the fragile clock goes tick tock. the hand every persistent to reach zero.

nine lives allow abbott to access to the old myth that says cats have nine lives. a life is knocked off every time he receives a fatal blow. though there are some conditions and limitations.
1. he must have possession of 9 souls when performing the chant. his own is counted as one and is reusable but the other eight must come from things he has killed. they may be man, beast, or god. each kill counts as one soul towards it.
2. the nine lives chant is not stackable. he cant just save up lives, the most hes allowed to have is nine at a
time. abbott can also only do the chant when he has only one live left. that is his very own.
3.if any limbs are chopped off and abbott dies. he has only a few moments after revival to attach it before he loses it permanently. it just becomes some piece of meat the vultures can feed on. if his head is chopped off and he cannot put it back on before it turns into dead meat. his body dies along with his head.
4. the souls most be used within a month of killing the individual. they most also be enchanted onto something shortly after being reaped form the persons body. most preferably bottles.

if the chant is done improperly or hr has broken one of the rules or limitations he will die.

chant#2: lions roar
may the gods hear the hunter as he roars
the would be hunter may fall prey to others
may his roar instill fear and bone shattering strength
one is hopeful the gods would return his calls!

lions roar is very similar to the first chant abbott ever learned/made. its more of an upgraded version of his first sonic boom. it can stun anyone that gets caught in its path and has the force to move medium and small objects. if done wrong abbott could lose his voice for a couple of days.

chant#3: ill come back to this/

Patron God: the god of death.

Last edited by a moderator:
So far it seems good, cat humanoid = Ears, the only thing I wonder is what kind of humanoid ancestry he has.
(... I have forgotten to show any humanoids but humans, havent I ?)

I will wait for your chants with patience.