The Castle Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
"A bit of both. Not a huge issue." Flint muttered in response, taking a step into the half-balcony-half-tech station and glancing over the vast amount of screens, PADS, and holo-displays. With a crack of his knuckles, he sat down in one of the swiveling chairs and began to type in the access codes. Grunting at a piece of ICE (Intrusion Countermeasure Electronics), he pulled a chip from his coat and tapped a small, glowing dot on its center and ran it through the computer. Within a few moments, the barrier fell and he nodded to himself, muttering as he typed across the board. Within a few moments, the monitor sparked once before bringing up the surveillance footage of the past day.

"Cheap bastard..." He grunted as he turned to Spencer, shrugging. "I'm pissed at this case. Either NAPD wants you and me out of a commission check or they think we're top-notch aces." Flint eased up before saying with a faintly amused grin. "Either one isn't good for you, but I could do with an early reason for retirement."

Spencer rolled her eyes slightly at Flint once again as she followed Flint to the half-balcony-half- tech station, she looked around at all the screens. It reminded her of Max's room, her friend who loves any thing high tech. Max is the person who fixes Spencer's mechanical arm or leg when they get damaged or certain parts need to be replaced. Spencer's left arm and leg are missing but no one ever sees them because she wears long sleeved shirts or pants. Today she was wearing shorts with high thigh high socks. Flint has gotten glances at them but has never fully seen them.
Then Spencer's eyes landed on the other swivel chair, smiling, she jumped in it witched caused it to roll to the other side of the room. For some reason Spencer always acted like a child when she was in a swivel chair accept when she's around other people besides Flint. Spencer scooted the chair to where Flint was and looked back at the screens and sat on the chair with her legs crossed over it. When he looked at her the chair was spinning around but she stopped it as he started talking. She smiled at him then chuckled. "Oh comon, you're old age isn't getting to you already is it?." She said with sarcasm. "This job is pretty enjoyable for me. I get to fight people without getting in trouble for it."

Last edited by a moderator:
"Which is why I don't carry guns." Flint chuckled and rested back in the chair as the evidence loaded into a lone chip he had placed into the data bank. With that, he stood up and brushed a hand over his coat. Truth was, he did carry a single pistol under his coat. But as Spencer never showed him the arm or the leg, she never saw the weapon. It was a mutual agreement between the two not to talk about how they got here. Unspoken, but present nonetheless. It was something he had relied upon for a while, something that came naturally to them. Tossing the thought aside, Flint ran a hand over the data bank and sighed.

"How much we come to rely on things like this. Must have been nice, having concrete evidence and details to look at. Damned harder, I bet." He grinned. "But at the same time, technology adds a whole other pain in the ass....."

The only weapon Spencer ever carried was her katana and she never really tried to hide ot. She wasn't a big fan of guns and never carried one which she knew would be trouble for her some how, some day. While she was waiting for the evidence to load on the chip she kept spinning in the chair and sliding around in it, amused giggles could be heard sometimes as well. Spencer was actually pretty surprised at how comfortable she had gotten around Flint. She was completely different the first time they met, quiet, shy and never really showed much emotion around him but now she was pretty much the opposite. As Flint started talking again Spencer stopped the chair and turned to him. She chuckled then stood up, swaying a little from how dizzy she was but regained her footing. It was true that Spencer could sometimes be easily distracted or be slow to pick up things but at the same time she listens and tries not to miss any details.

The chip pinged once and Flint jumped to grab it. Pocketing it, he stood up and stretched, rubbing a hand over his left knee as he began to walk back towards the staircase, making a show of opening the door for Spencer.

"And now, may we leave this miserable place!" He called, the hatred of the Beanstalk barely surfacing as he spoke. Usually his memories were left memories, though often he had locked up - even in front of Spencer - and refused to speak for hours later. It seemed this was another part of his anger at being here, but if it was, he was hiding it well enough under the guise of hating the case rather than the location. His knee was acting up, his eyes were darkened and bagged, and his head ached. It was well time to turn in the file to the forensics department or whoever dealt with video footage and go home.

After leaving the club, through the wall of security bioroids, Flint clicked open his hover-car with a miniature PAD device and turned to Spencer, raising an eyebrow as he did so, his hand moving to start the ignition via the press of a button. He didn't speak, but his gaze plainly spoke 'Ride? Yes or no?' The AI activated and he waved it aside with a gesture, waiting for Spencer to either accept or decline the offer.

Spencer smiled at Flint as he opened the door for her and began to walk down the stairs. Spencer did remember the times he had locked up and at first didn't know what to do. But after a few times she figured out how to deal with him. As they reached the bottom Spencer jumped down the last few steps and turned to wait for Flint. Her eyes shown some worry as he walked and as she saw his eyes. She could tell his leg was hurting and he was tired. Spencer was also tired but she didn't have an injured leg and was more then ten years younger then him. Also she hadn't been doing this as long as he has. It was also was four in the morning but she didn't know of they still had work tomorrow or not.
'Maybe I can suprise him with some coffee tomorrow or something.' She thought as she waited. As he got to the bottom she started walking to the entrance, pushing past the security as she did so. Spencer had zoned out again, something she often did when tired, as Flint looked at her but then snapped out of it and looked at him. She smiled at him and nodded for her answer then she climbed into the passenger side of the hover car.

The car had no real backseat, only a small seat that was barely above the legal capacity size. Across the ceiling ran a single, narrow light stream that fluctuated blue to red as was standard in N.A.P.D. vehicles. It could be brightened or shut off completely, but often the little warning sign was a blessing; it meant you wouldn't be mugged off the street for your shoes. There was also an AI built into most models made these days, which Flint always made a point of shutting off whenever he entered the car. Not that he ever explained why, though he had hinted at it being 'an annoying feature that a good set of eyes and hands can't beat'. The same AI he hated began to open up a route to Spencer's place, noting her being in the car and Flint in the driver's seat. He waved the screen aside and shut it off with a button before beginning to back up the car, grinning bashfully as he did so.

"Shouldn't have shut that off..." He chuckled. "Where do you live again, Spence?"

When Spencer was comfortable in the seat she took off her katana from her belt and set it on the floor in between her legs. Her katana was always strapped to her belt that was around her waist. Another small strap was over the handle to keep it secure in the scabbard. Then she put on the seat belt on and looked at Flint with her head resting on the head peice of the seat. She let out a tired sigh and looked at Flint, chuckling at him a little bit.
"2330 on Crown St. It's by that big department store that no body likes." She said as she waved her hand in the direction of her house. The place that Spencer lived in wasn't the best and had allot of fight and drug problems but it wasn't the worse. It was the place that she grew up in. Right now she lived in a decent apartment that was close to a gym and her Aunt Marry's house.

Flint spared the sword a glance and turned back to Spencer as the car reared into the bustling New Angeles skyline. Even at 5:13 am the city was never silent, if the traffic alone could speak for it. Avoiding a near collision, Flint circled downward and shifted into one of the unofficially labeled "faster" routes and lit his siren, chuckling. He could get away with it; it's not like there wasn't some agent or another doing the same around town. As his hands glided to shift gears, he finally cleared his throat.

"Why do you use that? Seems a waste with guns being around, you know." He attempted to say it with some joking air to it, but it fell dry and more of a grumble than a curious statement.

As Flint started to drive, Spencer turned her head to look out the window, silently tapping her index finger on her leg. She watched as the cars past them and as they passed the bright city lights. Spencer held back a yawn as she felt her eyes began to shut and if Flint hadn't turned on the siren then she would have fallen asleep. Another smile spread across her face as she heard him chuckle and she shook her head slightly. As he spoke Spencer turned her head again to look at him and she shrugged. Truth be told Spencer was never a fan of guns even though she did know how to use them. She always told her self it was the loud sound they made when they went off but she knew that wasn't the reason.
"I guess I never liked the sound of them going off. But I know I'll have to get used to it with this job, huh?" She said looking at him, "And didn't you say you didn't carry one either?"

"Not particularly, but I'm a soldier at heart, still. I do own one, if that's what you're asking." He said, turning the wheel over as he dove down another level of traffic. It wouldn't be too long until they had arrived, already the market was in sight. Its lights were still active and cars were lining up to its several-layered parking garage. Atop the building sat a shifting advertisement board with flashing displays of the latest products as brought by NBN, changing every five seconds or so. It was said that you could watch an NBN sign for a full twenty four hours without seeing the same image twice. They truthfully were the best in marketing, the only one still left.

Spencer smiled at him, "Well if it will make you feel better I'll ask Kia to get me a gun." Kia was the one who made Spencer's long bladed katana and the weapons that she had. Kai and Max were the only other friends Spencer had other then Flint. Spencer has often mentioned Kia and Max a few times but he never met them.
She turned to look out the window again and rested her elbow on the door with her chin in her palm. She went back to watching the lights of the streets and then glanced up at the NBN advertisement board. "Do we have work tomorrow- I mean today?" She said almost forgetting that it was five in the morning.

"As soon as the group back at HQ gets the footage up and running, I figure we'll be off for another start. By ready at one regardless, I've got a few leads to go off of." Flint began strong as his voice faded into a mumble by the end of the statement, he then chuckled and spoke up. "It looks like I'll need the sword and the gun to boot this time."

The wheel turned around once more as Flint began to rise upward through the last line of traffic before Spencer's apartment. It didn't unsettle Flint as much as it might someone else. While he hadn't grown up here, he had been in areas bad enough to make this look a walk in the park. There weren't many gangs, no professional ones anyways, and the doors had locks. He knew a few undercover agents here as well, and be damned if he didn't believe the drop in crime once they were installed. It made his job harder, because only the professional crimes got through to him. At least, that's what he blamed it on.

Finally the car glided to a halt at the elevated walkway of Spencer's apartment block. He had long since turned off the alarm once traffic had died in this area, and an alarm in a neighborhood like this still wasn't the best idea. Spencer's door glided open as Flint set the car into park and turned to her.

"Courtesy says I should walk you to the door." He chuckled. "But most ladies don't have a katana." Always old-fashioned of him, something chided on by several people. He hadn't really known where he picked it up, but that was part of who he was.

Spencer nodded at Flint then laid her head on the head rest of the seat but still looking out the window. She chuckled after Flint did and slid down in the seat a little as she yawned, covering her mouth as she did so. As they went by the streets, some memories went through her mind of the places she had gotten into fights. Growing up here Spencer had gotten into allot of fights but most of them she did not start. They were mostly caused by people at her school and oddly enough, with all the fights, she was never kicked out of school. A smile came to her lips as Spencer thought about it and at how hot-headed she used to be back then. Spencer had gotten lost in her thoughts and snapped out once the car came to a stop.
She moved her arms from the car door as it glided open and looked at Flint, smiling a little. "Yeah and most don't have a temper like mine either." She said with a small chuckle in her voice. She picked up her katana and got out of the car but remembered something and turned back to Flint. "Almost forgot. Are you picking me up at one? And I'm gonna be getting us coffee to."

"Of course I'll be getting you a ride. An old man like me can't go more than six blocks without getting a look for my money." Flint grinned and waved. "I'll see you at one." With that, the door shut and the car began to fly off.

Ready for next scene, PM when you've had your last scene/wrap ups.

A small smile formed on her lips and she rolled her eyes at Flint as he drove away. She then turned and walked up the steps to her apartment, taking the keys out of her pocket, and unlocked the door. She walked in and closed it behind her, locking it after she closed it.

One in the afternoon came too quickly for Flint. He had woken up nearly two hours past, blearily staring into the red numbering of his chrono. From there it was the basic hygiene and downstairs for a quick bite to eat before heading off to the car. The only true time the city was even remotely close to dead was the hour after the rush to work began, but that was a different story from the rush out of work or the lunch-time scene. Being twelve in the afternoon, it had already taken Flint an hour to reach the market place by Spencer's apartment and another thirty minutes to finally turn into the neighborhood, which unlike the bustling city outside of it, remained nearly serene by comparison.

"And time to go back through it all..." He muttered, slamming the door shut behind him as he went to the front door, giving it a curt nod. As he waited for a reply, he glanced down at his PAD and cleared up a rather nasty message stating his probability of being late to work. NBN software had been added to all PI PADs, much to Flint's rage, but it had to be done. It all had to be done.

Spencer woke up from her dreamless sleep around 11:00 by rolling off the bed and falling on the floor. She got ready within the an hour, doing her daily routine of brushing her teeth, her hair, splashing cold water on her face, having a quick breakfast, and attaching her mechanical leg and arm back on. The leg and arm can come of and on of her body when ever she feels like taking them off. She always takes her leg off when she goes to bed, to make it more comfortable. Even though Spencer said she would be getting coffee for her and Flint that didn't stop her from making a small cup to help wake her up. By the time she finished her coffee it was 12:30.
Right now Spencer was sitting on the couch with her legs on the coffee table starring at a T.V. screen waiting for Flint. Every once in a while she would glance at the clock or her phone. She was rather surprised that Flint was this late as she watched the T.V.. When Spencer heard someone knock on the door her head snapped toward it and she got up from the couch, turning off the T.V. as she did. She opened the door and leaned on it, smiling up at Flint. "Hey. You know you're late." She simply said.

"You're right, I do know." He grumbled in reply, beginning to walk back to the car without waiting for a response. "Do you want coffee or not?" Still, she could hear him chuckling loudly as the doors opened.

Inside the car hadn't changed much. He had actually bothered to keep the AI on today: N.A.P.D.'s protocols required someone to enter the passage code, and that was nearly 1,000 digits long. Better the AI take that part of the work than him. Once, he might have bothered to memorize it, but to what end when a machine could do it in seconds? He checked the fuel while he waited for Spencer. Nearly empty. He'd check if he could get a company card to pay for it, but for now, it was getting to work and getting the case done before the first two weeks were up and gone. Thirteen days, eighteen hours he reckoned. Might be enough, might not, but he'd be damned if he let it be too little.

Spencer chucked at Flint as he started to walk back to the car. Spencer stood from leaning on the door and shut it, making sure to lock it before turning and walking to the car. "Oh a double chocolate coffee sounds so gold right now." She said grinning up at Flint. If there was one thing th at Spencer couldn't live with out it was chocolate and also energy drinks. She loved sugar and it often surprised people how much sweets she would eat at one time. She unhooked her katana from her belt once again before sitting down in the passenger seat, setting her katana next her. After Spencer got comfortable in the seat she slumped down habit and let out a sigh. "Yesterday you said you had some leads on the case. As I remember you jumped up just from seeing a screw."

Status
Not open for further replies.