The Carnival

The Ringmaster grinned widely at all the people who were milling around the grounds then checked his watch. "Woah, time really flies when you're having fun huh?" He told the girl which he was currently 'talking' (more like flirting) with. She smiled and nodded, "Of course! Do you need to be somewhere?" She looked to him sadly, she was having fun talking to him and he was hot too so that's a giant plus. The Ringmaster smirked at her sadness, "Now come on Beautiful, don't be sad. I have to go lead Opening Night so I must bid you adieu but you may come and see me anytime while we're in town for the next couple weeks." He winked to her and her smile widened, she would definitely be doing that… But she didn't want him to leave yet so she made her face into a pout and looked at him with big eyes, "But can't you stay for just a little while longer?" She asked, her voice feigning innocence as she leaned toward him a little more.

The Ringmaster saw right through her act but decided to simply go with it, he could spare a couple minutes. He sighed and made a show of looking at his watch then to the Bog Top where is will be conducting the show soon then finally back to her. "All right, but just for you, Darling." She then smiled and clapped her hands, causing the Ringmaster to internally roll his eyes in amusement at her.

Chris' eyes widened at Kylia's story of Carnival school. "Woah... That's so cool! I wish I had gone to Carnival school! Instead I went to a boring, normal high school, did you know that-" He was suddenly cut off by Sebastian slapping his hand over his brother's mouth to silence him before he can go off on another rant. "Dude, shut up." He told him, annoyed. Chris pulled his hand from his face. "Whatever man, I'm just talking here, calm down." He told him jokingly. His brother really needed to calm down... Sebastian rolled his eyes and let his hand drop at his side while mumbling, "Idiot..." He then spoke louder so his friends could hear him, "Come on you guys, let's go to the tent to wait for the show to start..."

Chris looked at his brother, judging his attitude at the moment and tried to figure out if he could push him more or if he would snap. He decided on the latter and just obeyed him, "Fine, we can go. Come on Dev." He kept his tone lighthearted and made sure no one could tell that his sugar rush had died down a bit- it was fun to act crazy and a sugar rush was the perfect excuse! He looked back to Kylia with a large smile, "See ya, Lia!" He rhymed, a large grin on his face then he walked off with his brother and friend to the Big Top.

Devin honestly felt like a ragdoll being dragged by Chris and sent Sebastian a pleading gaze. "Help me....please!!! I am being dragged by a madman."

~*~*~*~*~

Rin and Hitomi took advantage of the added time and practiced their routine one more time. Rin did not want there to be any mistakes. She was always called a perfectionist by Hitomi, and she never argued about that.

As she entered the peculiar tent that Clyde was occupied in, Kara smiled at her pets, "Hello my lovelies!" She mused as she finished her cotton candy and tossed it into a nearby wastebasket. Her hand slipped through the bars of the cage as her large felines and mammals began to lap at the skin on her knuckles - this caused her to giggle slightly. Slipping her hand back out of the bars, the young woman began to get dressed in her usual tamer outfit, not caring if her best friend was still in the room. His back is turned anyway. She shrugged into her blazer and fixed her hair ever so slightly before speaking, "You doing alright Clyde dear?" Her eyes peered at her own reflection in the mirror towards her left.

Clyde rolled his eyes just as he finished applying the skeleton make-up to his face, hands, arms, and feet. "I'm just peachy Kara. Your dumb animals weren't being so nice though." He tsked and turned in his seat to admire his best friend - who was now dressed. He smiled gently and got up to grab her hand, then bringing it to her lips to kiss. "You ready for tonight?" The young woman nodded and hugged Clyde with as much force as she could muster, "Ready as we will ever be."

It was no lie these two had been in the circus for a long time, but every act or performance seemed as if it was their first one. The butterflies swarmed in your stomach, your cheeks became flushed with nervousness, and your hands became clammy - none of that every matter though - because the two friends in the small tent were always able to come out like the infamous stars they were. All of their Carnie friends practiced and tried their hardest, which caused them all to come out on top. Kara clapped her hands before pulling her companion out into the fresh air. Swarms of people passed by and waved, which caused Kara to wave back, but Clyde was more fixed on the small group that was coming towards the Big Top. There was two males and a female - the males seemed like brothers so that meant the young female was a friend. Clyde was confused on why he was staring at them, but he couldn't shake the feeling that he had seen them before.

It's nothing, a figment of your imagination.
The Ringmaster's voice rang through his mind, depicting a memory of not long ago when Clyde had mentioned a family that also seemed familiar - even though they never visited the same place twice.

"Let's go see our performing friends Clyde!" Kara pulled on the male's arms - bringing them both inside where everyone else was practicing.

Chris turned to Devin and was talking up a storm asking things such as, "So what are you looking forward to most in the show?", "Do you think they'll have actual wild animals in the act?" or "What would you do if aliens attacked right now?" Except he continuously repeated himself and asked ten times as many questions. Sebastian was walking a little it behind the other two, he being much less energetic about being here than them and he just wasn't one to move quickly unless he need or wanted to. But his pace did slow down more when he felt someone's gaze on their group. His brow furrowed as he looked around to see who it could be but he only saw parents who desperately needed a break from their child who was either throwing a tantrum because they had to leave or running around like a cheetah on crack until he looked to the Big Top that is. He was able to see the man who was watching them, but he only caught a glimpse before the man was pulled back behind the curtain.

Sebastian cocked his head to the side, did that man really look familiar? He couldn't.. he'd never been to a carnival before so how could he know this man. He looked over to his brother who was talking up a storm with Devin; they hadn't even noticed the slowing in his pace even though he was basically just standing still by now. They wouldn't notice if he walked away then. Seb shrugged and walked toward where he saw Clyde disappear, when he made it to where he believe the man left at, he picked up one of the flaps of the tent and creeped in, revealing all the practicing carnies.

Devin looked at Chris like he was crazy, "Um...I don't know? They probably will have animals. Sacrifice you to them so I could have peace and quiet. Do you have an off switch? Mute button?" She was being sarcastic with him but knew he wouldn't be satisfied until someone talked to him. Due to the lack of his brother's presence that meant the job fell onto her.

~*~*~*~*~

Hitomi was starting to get a bit tired and complained to Rin, "Let's take a break! I don't want to be to tired to perform Rin!" She landed on one of the platforms and climbed down a latter quickly before her sister could object. "I am going to go sit down!" She laughed merrily and sat down where they had stashed their bags temporarily.

~*~*~*~*~

Rin rolled her eyes at her sister's antics, but she did have to agree with Hitomi. She landed on a platform also and climbed down the ladder. "Fine. Good job sis. I am going to go see Kylia for a bit and see how she is holding up with all the people. Be back soon!" With that Rin ran towards the tent flap but stopped really quick. She ran back for her messenger bag, threw it over her shoulder and continued to her desired destination. She was chuckling slightly and pulled out a book, "Now...to go find a good reading place where she can't find me..."

Chris barely even paused at her response, his mind moving too quickly to react. "That cotton candy was actually really good. I wonder if there are any more stands for t nearby. It doesn't look like it. Too bad I finished my other one. Did you have any? I thought I gave you some but I don't think so now. We should get you some, you need to try it, it's really good. Carnivals always seem to have very good food. Did you heard the some fairs sell chocolate covered crickets? That sounds so gross, am I right? It must taste really good thought. They also sell just about anything covered in chocolate, even scorpions and they're poisonous. Full grown scorpions are actually more harmless than baby scorpions, want to know why? It's because the babies still have a whole bunch of fresh poison when adults' are older and less potent. At least I think so anyway, that's what I heard in a magazine once...." He continued to talk but by now his words have started to slur together so much it's harder to understand.

~

Sebastian looked all around to the different performers, all practicing before opening night. People of all kinds were walking around and preparing themselves and their props for their acts which caused it to be pretty chaotic back here, allowing him to move through the crowd fairly easily. He finally broke out of the throng of people when he made it to the bleachers. He then breathed a sigh of relief to be out of that crowded of an area, sitting down on the many chairs set out for the audience since no one else seemed to be on them.

Devin mumbled something along the lines of 'you will pay for leaving me with him Seb...' or 'i will kill him...' The poor girl was being dragged all over the place by her friend who had the mental stability of a five year old. "Chris..." he was talking to fast to actually pay attention to her. "HEY CHRIS!!!! LOOK SOMETHING SHINY! OH AND SOME COTTON CANDY!!!" She hoped that her out burst would cause him to release her, but it could also back fire. She braced herself for what would happen next.

~*~*~*~*~

Rin was just walking up to Kylia's booth and saw that she was busy. "Hm...I will just wait. Better than going back into the crowded tent..."

~*~*~*~*~

Hitomi had just finished looking through her bag and she looked up when she heard some one walking nearby. She noticed that the guy who came and sat on the bleachers wasn't a member of the carnival and she sighed. She set her bag back down and hoped over quietly until she was close by. "Sorry sir but you aren't suppose to be in here just yet." She had a kind and cheery smile on, didn't want to come off as rude and mean after all. "There is still a few minutes before the show starts."

Clyde shrugged and walked over towards the area in which he kept his torches and fiery rings - along with other props. He knelt down towards a red container to check his gasoline levels, he stood once more to count his torches and rings, and when he was satisfied he sighed and turned around towards the crown of performers. Suddenly, a figure walked by which caused Clyde to be hit with a sense of déjà vu. Could that be the young lad form outside? The brown haired male tried to peer around several people, but he was too late and the young man was gone. He cursed under his breath and decided to just relax for a moment.

Taking a seat on a nearby upside down bucket, the Fire Performer sighed and began to rub his temples soothingly.

Kara had left her friend in a matter of seconds when she heard the roar of one of her pet lions. Before she was even close enough though the young maiden knew exactly who that groggy roar belonged too - Maverick. She bounded up towards the animal and reached her hand through the bars to pet his muzzle. As a purring noise exited the back of his throat Kara clicked her tongue, "Are you sick again Mav? Your our best act though lovely - you can't." The lion nuzzled into her hand as it gave out a smaller roar that sounded a tad better. It was like he understood the redhead.

She smiled and looked on the ledge of the cage for the meat and pills she kept up here for the particularly old feline. After pushing several pills in the juicy deer flesh and throwing it to her star lion - she began to pet his mane again - speaking comforting words, "It's alright lovely. You'll feel full and happy soon enough." When she was sure her prize lion was joyful and full, Kara checked the rest of her pets before grabbing a water bottle and chugging it down. Don't want a headache during the show now do we?

It was almost time for the show to start. Maylen took her place at the wrungs of the ladder that lead up to her silk and the hulahoops that were both suspended from the ceiling. She couldn't wait for the show to start. So she waited, patiently wringing her pale freckled hands together.

Kylia had closed her booth for the show along with just about everyone else who was not in the show. It was opening night and no one wanted to miss it, Kylia least of all, she had seen every opening act that they have put on since she joined and wasn't about to miss her first one. A large grin was on her face as she slipped in through the back of the Big Top so as to not be seen and quietly sat toward the back of the rows of people. 'Wow, a lot of people came this time… Let's hope the show goes well then.' She thought to herself as she glanced around the crowds of people until the lights went out; the show was about to begin.

Soon, a single spotlight came on, shining on the middle of the ring in the middle of the tent and one person was standing within it- the Ringmaster. He held an old-fashioned mic in his hand and a large grin on his face. "Welcome to the timeless show meant for all! Here you will see marvels that most have only heard of in stories! You will see people who can bend their bodies in ways that most gymnasts could only dream of, a woman who can tame savage animals so well, she would trust them with her life! There will be a man who can eat flames and much, much more!" He loudly announced, his voice resounding throughout the whole tent. "Welcome to… the Carnival!" Immediately after theses words, music started up and all the light went on, revealing the first act.

Maylen went onto the stage holding a deep breath. She would be the first act, but felt conflicted about being first. What if someone else had wanted the first spot? But no time to back down now. She was up.

Her first trick was to do a flying routine on her silks and hula hoops. She lifted her weight onto her silks and once she had her feet safely secure, she tossed a dramatic look over her shoulder directed at the audience.
"Notice!" She waved her hand. "No nets! Nothing but the hard dirt to catch this body of mine!" And with that thought in the audiences minds, the tumbled down the silk. She had done this so many times that she trusted the inanimate object with her life. Her feet caught her weight so she dangled just so. She received the satisfying gasps of the women and the tense faces of the men struggling not to show their fear. She continued to climb, swing, and tumble on the silks until it was time for the hoops.

She readied herself; adjusted her weight. She threw another toying look at the audience and then -without even thinking- leaped into the air from the silks, onto the hoops.

Of course she made the jump. And so she wrapped her flexible body on the hoops and spun around to the beat of the music that had started to play. She did splits, she hung upside down, and did all of her tricks just to get the audience to gasp.

After she was lowered down from the hoops, it was time for her acrobat time on the ground. There were several boxes on the ground, and she fit into them one, by one. Slowly the boxes got smaller, and smaller until one was no bigger then a child-sized suitcase. But it was no match for her body.

The Ringmaster came out and approached the final box, which May crawled into with no trouble. She fit into it, and was closed in by the Ringmaster. She heard his dramatic speech, and as he was speaking, she crawled through the secret flap and went into the secret door on the floor. Safely inside the trap door, she heard the box collide with a wall and the audiences' claps once the Ringmaster showed that nothing was inside.

And then the Ringmaster announced the next act. Maylen breathed so hard... But, no, not from being tired but because she was riveted that she didn't mess up. She hoped and prayed that the other acts went perfect. Because they were her family and always wanted to see them succeed

Mary had been gone for two days, she knew this. She thought no one would mind of course, making yourself appear and other things disappear wasn't easy after all! Yet her entrance that only the Ringmaster knew of was about to take place. My, Mary thinks she is quite clever! Hearing the Ringmaster's call and seeing the confused looks of everyone because of the pause, Mary "magically" appeared onto the stage with a large smile on her face. Gaining some slight snickers from the younger audience members due to her looks, Mary knew that she was to impress and shock them all. "Hello," she said in a bright tone. "I am going to astonish you today with a magic act you have never seen! Oh, you stop your laughter! I am sure you wouldn't want to be my assistant!"
Mary then stepped to the side, revealing a small table with a vase on it which had not been there before. She did a quick circle around it, and the vase was gone by the time she returned to her original place. Mary then placed a small sheet onto the table, and when it was pulled away, the table was gone. This was just child's play...
"And now," Mary declared. How about a volunteer!" Pointing to a young man (anyone can go for it if they like), she said with a smile, "You! Can you please step up here for a moment? I believe you will do a magnificent job!"

((Will play the boy))

"M-me?" Oliver asks with his creaky voice. The magician had called on him! He had always loved magic, and was a novice magician himself! Though the extent of his magic was using rigged playing cards and making milk "disappear" from a newspaper.

The rhythmic thumps of knifes hitting wood almost became a music, steady in beat and blunt in tone. "Thump, thump, thump." The knifes sliced though the air to the painted board, never missing their mark. There was a whole design on the board, made from all sizes and kinds of knifes. "Thump." The last knife hit the board, and the master piece was finish. The knife thrower, Viktor Zimmermann, crossed his arms to admire his art, a small grin of satisfaction across his face.

His lovely sister, the beautiful and graceful Esmeralda was dancing to her own tune nearby. Many an eye turned her way as her skirt twirled and danced past. He flowing black hair shimmer against the back light and her eyes shone with youthful happiness. She was a charming and adorable girl he loved dearly even though he threw knifes at her regularly. But knowing what would happen if he missed... Well it made his aim even more steady. She was trusting of her brother, and knew no matter what, his knife would not meet her flesh.

Esmeralda spun his way, and obstructed his view of the target. "What is it?" she asked looking at the knifes puzzled. Viktor grabbed her shoulders and pulled her back a few paces. Then she saw it. "How sentimental of you," she giggled as she realized what it was. Others would have seen a 13 pointed star, but she saw the sign of the travelers. A hand flew up to the small necklace Esmeralda wore, with the very same symbol as that her brother had made. Every one in their gypsy group had had is somewhere, Viktor wore it as a tattoo he hid somewhere on his body.

"What can I say," Viktor shrugged, "Call me an 'old softy'." His sister found his sentiment sweet and gave him a quick peck on the cheek. They went over and began to pull out the blades. "Want to try the blind fold?"

"You think you're up to it?" Esmeralda asked. She knew he could do it, and she would let him. But it wouldn't be right if he didn't think he could do it. Not to mention it was their first day at this spot, usually they saved the truly chilling and teeth clenching shows for later.

"I am..." he began as he wrenched out another blade. "But not today," he decided.

"Wheel or no wheel," she asked. They should have planed this sooner.

Viktor pulled out the last knife, it had been lodged in rather deep. "Wheel."

Little shy Leise had found herself a seat in the audience eagerly awaiting the show. She had heard and read so much about carnivals, and had been to fairs and other similar things, but she was thrilled to be seeing a live show. A show with magic and danger, and pretty women, lions and acrobats. Oh it was all so exciting. She had convinced her parents to let her go alone. They couldn't come because of work. Their seemingly endless jobs always kept them busy, even at home.

Leise
sighed and sat back in her chair and waited. The ringmaster came out then, he was a magnificent and showy man whose voice boomed though out the tent, and echoed off the walls. Leise sat right up and waited for things to start. There was a moment of nothing but whispers in the crowd, then "poof" out of nowhere came a woman dressed in old timey clothing. 'Is she a magician?' Leise thought in excitement. The woman asked for an assistant, and pointed at a young man to be her assistant for the first act. What an honor.

(Thank you! Bah, I'm not good at things like this...)
"Yes," Mary said with a smile. "Go on up, now. I don't bite most of the time." Mary then pulled out two cardboard boxes the same size from behind the stage that were big enough for the boy to fit in. She took him over and helped him into the one to the Audience's right. After closing it, she tapped the box twice. Mary then took several knives that had been placed on the ground behind her and stabbed the box in almost every location. Several gasps were released from the audience, and Mary walked to the left box with a small grin. She then quickly opened the top of it and pushed it over to reveal the very same boy safely contained inside.

Oliver didn't know what had happened! How on earth did he get into this box when he had started in the other?

Oliver was amazed.

This had only furthered his complete obsession with magic. And he had the magician to thank for that.

So Oliver crawled out of the box he mysteriously poofed to, and thinking he might as well prove he was okay, he did an Irish jog he was taught as a small child. The audience laughed in merriment, and Oliver did a big bow.

He would never forget this moment, or this day.

Mary laughed loudly at Oliver's dance, it was a bit of a trend among the drunks in her days. She beamed at the happiness at the audience, seeing others happy had always made Mary happy as well. "So," Mary said loudly enough for all to hear. "Well done, my boy! Glad you're not dead? Trust me, you're better off with myself than those knife throwers... Throwing things is SO old fashioned!" Mary received many laughs form this, only making her mood better. "Oh, and, you never said your name, boy! Please, I insist! The audience would like to know I assume?" After gaining a positive reaction from the audience, Mary looked at Oliver expectantly. He couldn't escape here like he did that box!

"M-my name is Oliver, mum." Oliver's voice quivered with a thick accent that couldn't bediscernable[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].
Mum was a term of age difference to him and his people. It was their form of Mr. and Mrs. However, Oliver noticed that the audience had to learn their bodies to try to hear him. So Oliver rolled back his shoulder, and sucked in a breath. "My name is Oliver!" He yelled it. No, not be rude, but because he didn't know how to talk loud without doing so - he was a quiet fellow by nature.

[/FONT]

"Well," Mary said to Oliver as if he were a puppy. "Aren't you adorable? Okay, okay. I'm done embarrassing you now. You may sit down if you wish! Oh, and, here. Just a little thing to keep for the brave Oliver!" Mary pulled a little magician's hat out of nowhere that was Oliver's size and put it on his head. "Oh, what do you know? It's just your size! Isn't that funny?" Mary said the last part with a sly smile, remembering that she had picked Oliver beforehand and made sure the hat was the correct size.