The Carnival

Kylia let out a startled gasp at Maylen's outburst. "Maylen!" She told her, shocked. When Rin then dragged her away from him, she pulled herself away from her hold. She looked at all of them incredulously. "You guys…" She told them, her tone portraying her 'what is wrong you?' feelings. She then turned to the Ringmaster, ashamed by their actions. "I'm sorry for their reactions, sir."

The Ringmaster didn't even bat an eye at her outburst, or any of their reactions really, he was used to varying reactions from people due to his personality but he actually was a bit surprised, he just kept it hidden. When Kylia and Hitomi were taken from under his arms he simply stood up straighter, he smirk never faltering and his eyes showed his amusement at them. "Well then…" He looked to Kylia with a nod, "I thank you for that, Sweetheart but you are not in charge of them nor their actions so there is no need for your apologies. What they think of my is what they think of me. Who am I to force them to act kindly to me?" As he spoke, he was addressing Kylia but was looking at the other three.

Maylen, as if she suddenly just realises what she had said, lets out a cry of distress and bursts into tears. She raises a freckled finger and wipes at a stray tear with a strange look. So that's what it feels like to cry. I had almost forgotten, she thinks. The Ringleader always made her emotions get out of whack. She wanted more then anything to be on the trapeze, flying.
It takes less than a fraction of a second to compose herself, and when she does, she looks at the Ringleaders face - not trusting herself enough to look at him pointedly.
"I am terribly sorry, Sir. Forgive me." Maylen says this all through clenched teeth. She needs to stop. She needs to control herself. She can't be what she used to be... she's different now.

Rin looks at Maylen and moves closer to her. Her nose crinkles in concern and releases a non-audible sigh. Rin to looks at the Ringleader, "We to (she motions to her and her sister) offer our apologies." With that she remains silent and watches him coolly. She didn't have any emotion on her face, and awaited a sign of acknowledgement.

~*~*~*~*~

Hitomi nods as her sister mentions her.

The Ringmaster looked at them all with a careless smile on his face, "It's no big deal, loves. Your apologies are appreciated though." She looked to Maylen, "And you don't need to call me 'sir', honey. In fact I would prefer you didn't, it makes me feel old." He said with another wink to her. He knew it might anger her again but it was his trademark so to speak. He can't just not wink. It would be strange.

Maylen ignored the wink and turns on her heels to go escape to the air. Her feet find her walking closer and closer to the Big Top and she wanders inside. She hikes up her piles of skirts, lifts her dirty barefeet onto the wrungs of the ladder and hoists herself up.
And all she can remember is finally being happy since she woke up this morning.

Rin nose twitches slightly and she gives a nod. "We shall see you tomorrow then." With that her and Hitomi walked away to their trailer to sleep for the night. Tomorrow was going to be an interesting day.

Kylia watches her walk away sadly. "Maylen!" She starts to go after her but stops herself, she probably just needed some time alone in the air. It was what she usually did. Kuylia wished she could help her friend but can't. She looks over to the Ringmaster one last time, searching his face for a moment then sighs and then she too walks away. Her booth was finished, only the last few things needing to be touched up which was something she could do in the morning, before the audience came. She walked back to her own trailer and thought about what had happened that day. It had started out so nice but… She sighed.

The Ringmaster watched them all walk their separate ways. He never did like angering people but he couldn't help himself. Anyway, the next day the people would be coming and that would be sure to get everyone in a better mood. He then took a deep breath and continued walking around the grounds, making sure everything was winding down comfortably for the night and helping others do the finishing touches for their booths and acts, a smile on his face all the while.

Rin woke up early the next morning and got ready quickly. She always preferred to be up earlier than most, for she loved to go and practice early without having anyone judge her for something she may do wrong. She slipped out of her trailer without waking her sister and walked over and into the big top. She glanced up and her heart swelled with excitement at being able to go up and do what she loved to do. She ran over and climbed up the ladder to the platform and sat down peacefully. Another thing she loved about the mornings was how she could just sit here and have no one disturb her.

Maylen wakes up last -like usual- and frantically rushes around in her tent to get ready. Opening night was tonight! She rushed a brush through her long hair and hastily pulled it up into a ponytail. She changed out of her skirt into another skirt, pale sea green corset, and ran out of her tent in her bare feet to go and practice.

Up in the air, hanging from the silk always did her nerves about preforming wonders. She never worried about falling, or messing up her routine, or even how many people were watching her. She was just being up in the air, tumbling about. She practiced her silk routine until it was all she could see in her head. Sure, she could be a little obsessive about her routines, but it was only because she never wanted to mess up.
She did splits, tumbles, she climbed, rolled, and flew.

Rin saw her as she was standing on the platform just having finished practice. She realized she hadn't been noticed and chuckled quietly. She climbed down and grabbed her messenger bag that she had brought with her and threw it over her shoulders after pulling out a new book. Deciding to not startle the focused performer she went to go sit down in one of the less noticeable seat and began reading while she waited for her sister who had probably just woken up.

~*~*~*~*~

Hitomi had a bag thrown over her shoulder and ran out of her trailer and started going to the big top. She was a little frustrated that Rin hadn't woken her up but oh well, she had to let it go. It was never really a good idea to be upset with a person you have to see and work with everyday. Her laughter filled the air softly and she slowed down so that she was walking. Rin would have to wait even longer as a bit of punishment.

After Maylen practices as hard as she can without passing out, she calls for a well-deserved break. She sits down on one of the bleachers and rubs her legs trying to get some feeling back into them. She can't keep pushing herself this hard... it'll cause her downfall. Maylen knows she has the routine down pat, but she still can't resist the urge to just prove to herself that she can do the routine perfectly. So up she goes again. up she goes to fly.

Kylia hummed quietly to herself as she put the finishing touches upon her booth. She wasn't sure if she should put the prizes next to the balloons that the children would be trying to pop with darts or under the counter where the poor teddy bears wouldn't be skewered by an 8 year old on a sugar rush. She decided to simply go with the first option so that the toys would attract people to come and play the game. She sighed in content and placed her hands on her hips admiring her handiwork. She was very happy with her decision, it did make it look much more pretty.

The shrill bell pierced through the air, signifying to everyone that the gates are about to be opened to allow the carnival-goers to enter. Moments later the Ringmaster himself opened the large gate and in poured all of the people, some children with their parents lagging behind, others teens that were happy for something to do in their town for once and lastly, the groups of random ages. "Welcome! Everyone please, come in, come in! There's no need to rush!" The Ringmaster ushered the people in, occasionally throwing a wink to a girl or two and almost always receiving a blush in return if not another wink back.

Sebastian and Chris both entered the fairgrounds curiously, Sebastian definitely hiding it better than his brother who was looking around at everything wide-eyed and with a large smile on his face. "Calm down Chris, your eyes are going to pop out of your skull if you open them any wider." Seb. said sarcastically, rolling his eyes. Chris turned to his brother, still smiling, "Come on, man! You have to admit that this is exciting! We've never gone to carnival before- they're all freaking extinct except for this one. Lighten up, it wouldn't hurt you to smile either." He told him with a smirk. He then turned to their other friend, Devin, who was with them. "You agree with me, don't ya Dev?"

Devin looked at him and chuckled. "Chris...I think you may be a little too excited." She looked around and took in the sights so that Chris couldn't see her smile.'so hyper...I wonder how Sebastian puts up with him all the time. Meh, oh well...he has a point. This is the first carnival thats been around in a while."
~*~*~*~*~

Hitomi finally got to the big top and slipped inside. "RIN!!! I'M HERE!!" She had a giant grin on her face and walked over and tackled her sister into a hug. "We have enough time to run through a few times!" With that she ran over to a ladder and climbed up.

~*~*~*~*~

Rin pulled herself off the ground and put her book back away. "Took her long enough..." She then climbed up the other ladder and waited on the opposite platform. "Hey Hitomi! We have to wait a bit so calm down." She spoke in a calm and clear voice that carried across to her sister.

Chris' mouth opened a little in shock, "Are you serious? What is wrong with you two?! Do you even know how to have fun?" He threw his hands up in the air and shook his head at them. Sebastian chuckled quietly at Devin's response and Chris' reaction. "Calm down man. Let's go over here." He nodded to one side, toward some of the other booths and the Big Top tent.

This was it, time for the big grand opening. Maylen was back in her tent mentally preparing, doing stretches and getting her outfit ready. Her usual mounds of skirts and corsets simply wouldn't do tonight. She was going to wear her costume: a pale sea foam green leotard, and matching ribbons that she wrapped up her legs to mimic ballerina slippers.
She brushed on her final makeup touches, applied the lipstick she hated so much, and rushed out of her tent. She was excited. It was time for her to do what she did best, and make people smile. Time for her to smile... she deserved it.

Rin was finishing putting up her hair and sighed. Her and Hitomi had gotten to practice quite a bit but she always liked to practice more for opening night. "Hitomi are you ready?" She walked out of her room wearing her costume already and went to go find her sister when she didn't reply.

~*~*~*~*~

Hitomi was getting irritated, she had just finished her hair and make-up but didn't feel completely satisfied. She heard Rin call her name and went to go see what she was saying, and she ended up running into her, literally. She avoided falling backwards but laughed slightly. "Nice to see you Rin! If you were wondering...I am ready alright! Just need to wait now." She put on a cheerful smile and Rin did too.

~*~*~*~*~

"Hey is the show starting soon?" Curiosity always got the best of her. "Because I don't want to miss it opening night! We can go to the games after if it is." She was walking behind them a bit and staring at the big top with her curious gaze.

Chris was now eating a large cotton candy, the sticky fluff sticking to the sides of his mouth, and was talking endlessly in the background, sometimes when he gets too hyper he tends to talk... a lot so his friends learned to just ignore him when he got like this, heck, he even didn't really pay attention to what he was saying but at the moment it was something along the line of what he would do if aliens were to attack them right now.

Sebastian shrugs at Devin's and replied sarcastically, "How should I know? Do I look like I work here?" Chris rolled his eyes at his brother's attitude. "Shut up, Grumpy Buns, no one asked you." He turned to Devin with a candy coated smile, "I'm not sure, it looks like it might be." He looked around, "Hey, let's ask her!"

He turned to a girl who seemed to be a couple of years younger than them who was conducting a dart and balloon booth or something of that sort. Chris then ran ahead of them to her. "Hey, I'm Chris. That's my brother Sebastian and our friend Devin. What's your name? Anyway we were wondering if the show was starting soon? We don't want to miss it but want to play a couple more games if we still can. Well, Dev and I do, Sebastian is being too grumpy to play with us. He's acting like an old man which is weird because we're the same age yet he acts waaaaay more boring sometimes. It's kind of like our English teacher, he can go on and on and on and on and on about some boring old guy and like half of the class falls asleep. Do you go to school even though you're part of the Carnival? What's that like? Does a clown teach you? I bet that wouldn't get boring." He was about to continue but Sebastian stepped in so as to save the poor girl from a brain overload with the amount of words his brother was saying.

"Listen, I'm sorry about my brother, he's on a sugar rush. But we really do need to know when the show is starting." Sebastian spoke much more seriously and calmly than his brother, showing the drastic change in their personalities.

Kylia stood there shocked for a moment, she was just running her both peacefully a moment ago and now she bombarded with question from this strange man. Though he spoke very quickly she was able to understand most of what he said. "Oh, um…" She stuttered, she had thought he stopped speaking but instead this man, Chris was his name she believed, was just taking a breath. She tried to continue focusing on what he was saying but the words started to jumble together a little toward the end. Kylia was finally able to breathe a sigh of relief when the other boy came over, Chris' brother? Once he started speaking that question was answered at least.

"Hello Chris, Sebastian, Devin." She looked to each of them as she spoke their name. "I'm Kylia. And I believe the show is not going to open up to the public for a little while so you have time to walk around a little more before you can to be in there but you should start heading toward the direction of the Big Top so you don't miss anything." She told them with a warm smile then turned back to Chris, "And to answer your other questions, I personally don't go to school here but some of the younger children do. Their parents who work here want them to learn still, no matter the fact that they are living here. I was able to sit in on a couple classes, no a clown does not teach it but it didn't seem to be too dull however, because the teacher would make you walk the tightrope if you go a question wrong. I actually had to but luckily I'm friends with the trapeze performers so I knew a little on how to not fall." She told him with a laugh at the memory.

Kara was meekly maneuvering through the heavy flow of people with a small grin upon her face. She was wearing her normal street clothes (something she had seen the locals wearing), but her small amount of makeup was ready to go - along with her auburn hair. The young woman had actually become very hungry and it was an instinct, no a ritual, of hers to trudge towards the cotton candy kart and grab a blue raspberry treat.

As she passed a group of audience members (along with Kylie), who were conversing, Kara made her way to the kart and ordered her sugary sweet. Another smile caressed her lips when she noticed a male among the audience members was also munching on a large cotton candy; he was also talking more than a mile a minute. The redhead let out a small chuckle before ripping a piece of blue fluff off the paper cone and popping it into her mouth. When it had begun to dissolve she hummed in pleasure and started back towards the Big Top where she would be performing soon enough. She just hoped that her dear ole' pal Clyde was able to calm her lovelies.

-

The young frazzled looking man, by the name of Clyde, was forcefully cracking a whip at a cage of assorted animals. His face was beat red and you could see his jaw moving very slowly - as if he was gritting his teeth in frustration - which he was. He was trying to calm the deadly animals his semi-partner had advised him to ready for their act, but she was the animal tamer, not him. And this meant the lethal lions and treacherous tigers were lashing out harshly against his commands.

"Back you savages! Damn you!" His voice was slightly hoarse, although an irish accent could be heard rolling off his tongue. He had been repeating the same whipping action for over thirty minutes and it had gotten him nowhere. Finally, he rolled the whip up and replaced it on it's holster before turning and grabbing the stray water bottle that sat upon a chipped wooden table. Clyde was dressed to impress - his normal act clothes wrinkle free against his light tan skin. His hat was perched gently upon his chocolate locks and his slight black make-up around his eyes was perfectly in place.

He was certainly ready, but where was his partner? Getting cotton candy.. AGAIN! His palm crumpled the empty water bottle he had chugged, tossing it in a nearby waste basket, but right after the young man composed himself - leaving his red face unnoticeable and his eyes expressionless. Behind him, the caged animals were silent.