The Camping Trip

Drew knew that Sam would have through the question weird and the fact that it was random which indeed it was. He turned his head at her comment and then raised his eyebrow. It was something about the way she said it that made him more confused than he was before. " Well there is this one girl that im intrested in but im not sure she feels the same way. I show signs of intrest but mabey I just have to go after what i really want". Looking at Sam he gave her a soft look and then smiled slightly before looking away and eating another strip of beef jerky,

It was getting late and Drew decided that it was best to start the fire. Getting up once more he streached and then headed out the tent gathering all the twigs and big pieces and when he found enough he went into the bag that was in the car and pulled out the lighter. Drew knew that it would have taken forever just to get the fire started by hand. Once it was lit he peeked his head into the tent. " Fires lit, lets get warm and comfty".

The sun was setting and Drew looked up into the trees to get a better view. Since it would get darker, Drew figured it would be a good time to but on more comfortable clothes. Sprinting into the car he pulled out some sweats and a t shirt. Pulling off the one he had he put on the new shirt and then changed his pants. He looked around and was relived when he found his stick. Drew looked at the figher and started poking at it with his hand moving it through the fire quickly.

When Drew mentioned that there was someone he was interested in, Sam struggled to hide the fact that she was actually a little bit jealous. She had never admitted to herself the way she truly felt, but out here there was nowhere to hide. It was just them and the wilderness, they were bound to end up doing a little soul searching while they were here. Still, for the time being she didn't say anything, only closed her eyes as she thought about what she was feeling.

She watched from the comfort of the tent as Drew set up the fire, letting him do his man thing, though she encouraged him from her position in the tent, "You go, you caveman, you!" Samantha smiled, eventually crawling back out of the tent and into the darkening evening. The crackling fire was a welcome addition to the evening, and was made all the more appealing when she produced her bag of marshmallows from her bag. "Look what I found!" She grinned, looking around to find some sticks on which they could roast them.

Once she had two, Samantha sat with Drew, placing an affectionate arm around his shoulder as she handed him a stick which she had already poked a marshmallow onto. "So tell me, who is this girl? I need to spy on her, make sure she's good enough for my favourite guy." And she probably would do just that, she was that protective of Drew, even if he was more than capable of looking after himself.

Drew smiled when he heard Sam teasing him about him being a caveman. " Yeah you should be afraid i hear that cavemen are very protective of their fire". When Sam said that she had marshmallows Drew smiled widened and he sat down and got a marshmallow of his own. He looked at Sam when she rested her arm on him and then smirked when she asked about who the girl was. Placing the marshmallow over the fire he watched it for a moment before taking a bite out of it and then looking back at Samantha.

" Well..the girl, you might know her she's about your height same hair color and your face is quite similar as well". Drew ate the rest of his marshmallow and then ran a hand through his hair. He had practically tolf her that the girl was her and he knew that she wasn't going to expect him to say it. Drew figured that it was about time he told her how he felt. They had been friends for a long time and it bothered him when she was with other guys. He always ignored it because they were friends but still.

Shifting his body, Drew got up and then walked over to the car and got the large blanket that was in the trunk. He made sure that he had everything and was prepared. Drew tossed the blanket in the trunk and then sat back down with Sam. Reaching for another marshmallow he placed two in his mouth and then munched on them happily.

It wasn't surprising that Samantha was a little perturbed by what Drew said. Her face fell a little as she spoke, her brow furrowing as she stared fixedly into the crackling fire. She was glad that her friend had chosen that moment to go off and see to whatever was left in the car. But still, she wasn't a dull girl, and so had a feeling that she really ought to speak up about her own carefully hidden feelings. It was hardly an ideal situation, but it seemed that now was as good a time as any to see what could be done about it.

When Drew returned, Sam ate her marshmallow, savouring the flavour and texture, also putting off what was potentially going to be a very awkward few minutes. Still, it had to be done, and so after a while, Sam looked pointedly at Drew, for once her expression quite serious and still. "Drew, if you're saying what I think you are, then we're both morons." Well, that was certainly true, if not a particularly eloquent way of confessing ones true emotions.

"You see, I might not have told you the whole truth earlier." She looked away, feeling better, almost safer just looking into the fire, rather than paying attention to him. "There was a guy. Still is, actually. I just assumed he wasn't interested." It was more that she'd chickened out of any idea of a relationship, and had settled for friendship, seeing as that was a safe option that ensured there would never be any reason for them to cease what they currently had.

Drew's mind was racing. He didn't know what to say or do now that he basically told Sam that the girl he was intrested in was her. There was a slight chance that she still thought it was someone else, but he knew that she had to know. He didn't know what it was about the marshmallows that seemed to ease a little but of the nerves he was feeling. There was always three ways that happens when you tell a friend that you care about them in a more intimate way. For one they could feel the same way, two they dont and they dont talk to you again or three they dont and things just turn out awkward.

" I guess we really are". When Sam said that she was intrested in but assumed he wasn't. Drew turnned to find Sam looking at the fire. It was basically a now or never oppertunity and if he didn't take the chance then he knew they'd be right back a square one, being friends and ignoring what they actually felt. he was hesitant for a moment before he spoke. " I hope that guy your talking about is me cause if it is then I am deffinitally intrested". Drew tossed another twig into the fire and then warmed himself.

Drew leaned over and cupped her face so they were looking directly at eachother. " So just so were clear, your the girl I have feelings for". A smirk formed on his face and he looked at her for a moment.

Yep. They were both idiots alright. Sam could hardly believe they'd gone on ignoring everything that they felt for one another for such a long time. She shook her head a little, closing her eyes against the flames for a second as she processed what had just happened. It was diffficult to process, even if she had wanted them to admit what they felt, ever since she had first felt the stirrings of anything more than just friendship between them. Samantha opened her eyes again, smiling over at Drew, for once at a loss for words. Normally she had an answer for everything, but today she was stumped.

"Thanks for clearing that one up." She grinned as Drew cupped her face. "The feelings mutual, by the way." For once in her life she felt a little bit shy around him, which obviously wasn't normal for them at all. Even so, it wasn't long before she regained her confidence again, though she was well aware that there might have to be some change between them now, not that this was a bad thing. Now they could be more open with eachother, at least.

Sam took it upon herself to tackle him at this point, hugging him like a little kid. It might not have been your average reaction to professing ones true feelings, but Samantha didn't usually do things by the book. "Drew, how long have you felt this way?" She asked, leaning her forehead on his as she asked the question. She was curious, though she supposed it made little difference now. However long it had taken, they had at least finally admitted what they felt, for better or for worse.

He nodded knowing that everything was cleared. They both had been so clueless to eachothers feeling it made him wonder what wold have been if they had expressed their feelings for eachother earlier. " Then im both glad we feel this way. It made Drew somewhat nervous like he had butterflies in his stomach and that never happened before. Mabey it was because he finally told the person he cared about how hw felt and was glad that she felt the same way as well.

When Sam tackled him and started hugging him Drew wrapped his arms around her and returned the hug. " I ve felt this way since we first meet. I was intrested in you but the more closer we got on a friend level I figured that was all we were ment to be and nothing more". Drew knew that the relaionship could go both ways. In his mind Drew wanted it to go smoothly. He didn't want it to change how they acted now and then let things become extremly awkward.

Looking at the fire Drew pulled back slightly so that he could look at Sam's face. " Well well how long have you felt this way about me". A smile formed on his face and he leaned in ever so closely and then chuckled.

She pondered that question, wondering just when she had first acknowledged any feelings for Drew. It had been a long while ago, and now she thought of it, she could pinpoint exactly when it had been. Sam furrowed her brow, shaking her head slightly as she thought about the idiotic years they had spent pretending that there was nothing but friendship between them. How they had managed to go on as long as this, she wasn't sure, but thankfully it was over now. They could finally be honest wiith one another.

"Remember when I started dating that David guy?" She had been thirteen at the time, and to call it dating waas a bit much, but that was what happened when you were first starting puberty, you tried to grow up, and just ended up looking stupid. They had only gone to a couple of movies together and held hands on the bus, it had all been in a foolish attempt to pretend that Drew was not an interest of hers. "I only decided to 'date' him because I realised I really liked you." She shrugged, feeling a bit stupid in admitting this.

Sam sat up at this point, glancing into the fire again, enjoying the warmth that it spread across her body. It was no wonder cavemen were protective of their fire, it was a damn nice asset to have.

When Sam told Drew that she had feelings for him since they were basically thirteen he smiled as he looked into the fire. It was amazing to him how they could go on for so long and act like they didn't have feelings, but when your so used to pertending that somethings not there its easy to actually belive it. " I wanted to ask you out back then but I never got the courage to just ask you and when I finially did you were dating someone or it was the other way around". Popping in another marshmallow he sighed in utter happiness.

Using his lighter he added more fire to the burning twigs and branches. Standing up Drew found some more and tossed them in watching the fore grow bigger and it was enought to stay for the night. Drew sat back down and then got comfortable watching the fire and listening to it crackle. Placing his hands out he rubbed them together and then looked out at the woods around him. At night everything looked so diffrent. Kinda spooky like but it was thilling in a sense.

Drew grabbed his trusty stick and then moved it through the fire watching the fire follow the sick. He pulled it back and the top was on fire. Blowing his stick, Drew placed it down and then looked back at Sam. " Theres one thing that I want to do and for a while now". Drew Leaned forward and brushed his lips against hers before kising her softly and slowly.

She couldn't help but feel a little bad about the situation, though this soon passed. Guilt rarely served any useful purpose, and so Sam made sure to push this out of her mind before it had any chance to mature properly. Instead, she simply allowed time to pass, wondering how two pretty damn confident and outgoing people had managed to be shy enough to allow their feelings to go unnoticed for so long. It would have been impressive, if it hadn't been so foolish of them. Thankfully, they didn't need to worry about it now.

Sam enjoyed the flames, and watched as Drew added to the fire, ensuring that it would remain alive for the rest of the night. He was actually pretty good at this stuff, maybe he was a caveman afterall. Of course, she did think that perhaps running his prized stick through the flame probably wasn't the best idea in the world. And of course, it soon came out on fire, though thankfully it was easily put out again.

She had remained silent all this time, whichh must have been a record for her. And the near silence continued as Drew leaned over to kiss her. She responded to him almost immediately, gently placing a hand on the side of his face as she too leaned closer, struggling to hold back after the floodgates had opened. But, all too soon she pulled away, smiling placidly, "I always wondered if you'd be any good at that." Turned out he was. Sam shuffled closer to him, soon going on to ask an entirely unrelated question, "Want to go for a spooky night time walk?" They wouldn't go far, of course, Sam just felt a bit antsy and restless. Maybe they'd some nocturnal critters too.

Drew was in his own state of mind. With Sam's lips against his. At first he thought she wasn't into the kiss seeing as how she pulled away but when Drew saw her smile he knew that it was the complete opposite. " Well now you know im excellent at it". He had always wondered how her lips would feel and now he knew. Soft and deffintally kissable. When Sam asked if he wanted to go on a spooky night walk Drew glanced around at their surroundings before answering.

" Yeah sure but bring a flash light just in case..animals tend to come out at night". Drew stood up and then walked over to the car and pulled out two flashlights from the duffle bag in the car. He turned them on to check if they worked before handing one to Sam. it was deffinitally going to be extremly intresting. Drew had never went for a midnight wlak in the woods. Usually he 'd stay up late with his friends and pulls pranks on whoever tried to fall asleep.

Grabbing his stick Drew began walking as he turnned back on his flashlight. Everything deffinitally looked the same in the dark. Trunning twords Sam he made a silly face and then jogged off a few paces. He was't far and he kept his flashlight on so Sam knew where he was at. " Hey are we just walking at random or is there a particualr scary place in these woods were headed to?". Turnning off his flashlight Drew snuck behind Sam and then placed his hands on her waist. " Boo!".

Torches were definitely a good idea. Sam grinned as she took hers from him, saluting him with it for some unknown reason. "You're such a boy schout, you know that, right?" She teased, switching hers on and shining the beam around as she stood, making sure to get her bearings before setting off. There was somewhere around here that was supposed to be terrifying.

She had been about to open her mouth to tell Drew what they were looking for, when he of course took it upon himself to sneak up on her. He actually did make her jump, her muscles quite obviously tensing under his arms. However, she quickly recovered, turning and shooting him a somehow affectionate glare. "You shouldn't be mean to girls. Did no one ever tell you that?" She reprimanded, lightly tapping him on the head with the butt end of her flashlight. She quickly turned back around again, going on to inform him of the apparently terrible copse of trees that awaited them.

"Apparently, there's a ring of dead trees somewhere to the east of where we are now. Perfect circle, only those trees are dead. I'm told bad shit happens if you enter the circle of doom." She didn't believe it for a second, of course. The closest it came to the truth was most likely to be a cluster of dead trees. It happened. Sometimes a disease struck a few trees and not the rest. It was just one of those things. And of course, there was a good chance that they wouldn't come anywhere near to finding this supposed anomaly. It was a big forest, afterall.

Drew chuckled when Sam tapped his ass with the flashlight. " Yes my mother told me but I think I have a good excuse for this one". He beemed his flashlight twords a few trees as he heard slight noises. It could be anything and Drew had to make sure he was ready and the last think he needed was to be up shown by a rabbit or some other creature. The closest encounterment he had twords a big animal was a deer and it ran away as soon as Drew was in a 5 foot radius.

He stopped breifly when Sam mentioned the ring of dead trees. Drew thought that he had a thing for danger but Samantha was something else. Scratching his head he continued to look around. " You know im not so sure this is a good idea..I mean what if you get scared and I have to carry you back to the tent?". Drew chuckled and then used his stick to guide the way.

Drew knew where the trees of " Death" were but he never in hell went near them, it was like asking for something bad to happen. But atleast thats what he had been told. Drew was the kinda guy that liked to find out things for himself but when it was dark and he only had a stick for a weapon, it changed a few things. Once they were in sight Drew marked the tree and then started at the dead trees. They were hue and the branches were tangled toogether. It look like you were heading for a disaster. " Wow this is awesome!". He laughed and then sprinted over to a tree and attempted to climb it. The branch broke and Drew found himself on his stomach. " Ahh shit". He winced in pain and then slowly got up. drew's arm was bleeding and he could feel a stinging pain in his chest. " Take note, climbing a dead tree...not a good idea".

As they walked, Samantha couldn't help but be a little amused by the fact that she was seemingly a helluva lot more up for what she saw as a tiny bit of danger. She wasn't one to get spooked by things that went bump in the night, it just wasn't in her. It probably would have been healthy for her to have more fear, but apparently she'd used it all up on being terrified of heights, there was just nothing left for the rest of the world. So far she hadn't managed to get herself killed though, so she supposed it didn't really matter all that much.

Upon finally arriving at this apparently spooky ring of trees, Samantha simply hopped inside the circle, and found herself somewhat underwhelmed. Of course, she had to admit that she had expected as much, seeing as she was hardly the sort of person to be believing in all the paranormal madness that tended to get so many in a terrible state of fear and paranoia. She was a surprisingly rational girl, despite the fact that she so rarely used this to her advantage. Still, at least the brain was there, ready to be used if necessary.

Samantha had been about to agree with Drew about it being an awesome place, but then of course he had to go and hurt himself. She was out of the trees in a flash, not dead or deformed in any way, though she did happen to be wearing an extremmely worried expression on her face. "Drew! Are you alright?" She looked him up and down, placing her hands on his shoulders to hold him still, acting a bit like a mother hen at this point. Of course, her eyes soon settled on his injured arm, and she immediately placed her hand over it, pressing down hard. "Come on, back to the camp with you. We need to get that cleaned, or it'll get infected." Suddenly, she was all business. It was a rarity, but in this situation certainly not unwarranted. "Are you hurt anywhere else?" Not all injuries were as obvious as a bleeding gash, and so she took it slowly.

Drew's arm was in pain and the only one he could blame was himself. He haden't expected for him to get seriously hurt and bleed. The last time Drew was in serious pain was almost two years ago which suprised him since he was always out doing things that mostly led to an ingury. Looking at his bleeding arm he winced and then watched as some drops of blood fell to the floor. "Yeah im fine but sorry about ruining the spooky moment, I guess I let my caveman get the best of me". He allowed Sam to help him and then he sighed when Sam mentioned heading back to the camp.

Looking back at the cluster of dead trees, Drew was pissed that he didn't catch his fall a half a second quicker. Drew honeslty wasn't looking forward to getting his arm cleaned and his chest. He knew that it would sting like hell and that was the one thing that he hated when he got hurt. As they made it back to the camp, Drew pulled off his now slightly bloody shirt. His chest had a cut but not as serious as his arm.

" Be gentle im very fragile". He chuckled and then went to sit down so Sam could tent to the wounds. " Tommarow night were going back".

She couldn't help but worry about him, and remained quite starkly quiet on their way back, focused only on ensuring that Drew didn't get hurt any further. It was unlikely that he'd manage to stumble into a beartrap, but Sam wouldn't put it past him. Once things start to go wrong, they have a habit of continuing in that vein. But as luck would have it, they did manage to make it back to camp without any further injury.

Once they arrived, Sam left Drew where he had chosen to sit, heading off to find some form of first aid kit. It was good that their enthusiasm for the trip hadn't resulted in careless behaviou, and as such they did have a well stocked first aid kit with them. Had they not, life might have been a damn sight worse. As it was, Sam soon returned to her patient, kneeling opposite him and smiling, "How's my brave little soldier?" She unzipped the kit, first finding herself an antiseptic as well as cotton to clean out the wounds that would inevitably become quite gritty.

"Hold still, no squirming or you lose your man card." She did her best to remove any bits of debris from the wounds, and once they were as clean as possible, she bandaged his arm carefully, and made sure the one on his chest was also sufficiently covered. "All done." She commented once she had finished, giving him a liight kiss on the forehead. "Well done, you were very brave. Unfortunately I don't have a lollipop. I apologise."

Drew knew Sam was protective over him especially when he got hurt. It was like she turnned into a complete diffrent person." Little soilder? Im deffinitally not little". When she applied the medicine to his wounds, Drew only winced slightly. The only thing that was going through Drews mind was climbing the tree again. He knew that it was stupid to even think about wanting to climb the tree again but Drew just had a thing when it came to danger.

" Hey just cause I move dosent mean I loose my man card". Drew made sure he didn't move no matter how much it stinged. The last thing he wanted was Samantha holding the whole thing over his head when she was finished. When it was over Drew slowly moved his arms and then stood up and planted a kiss on Sam's lips. " Thanks". Drew sprinted back into the woods and then came back quickly with some wood and placed it in the fire. Once he got the flames to keep going Drew was satisfyed.

Drew made his way into the tent and then slid into his sleeping bag and placed some over the covers over him. Reaching over he grabbed his book and then read a couple more pages before closing in and getting comfortable. After all the running and walking, and swimming/fishing Drew was beat. " Zip up the tent when youo come in". The last thing he needed was to wake up with a squirrel on him or some weird bug crawling all over him.

Pleased that he seemed to be okay, Samantha left Drew to do what he would. He didn't seem to have been affected by his little incident, so that was good. Of course, it had hardly been major, but it had still shaken Sam a little. Thankfully it was all over now, and when Drew took himself into the tent, Sam took the time to just feel the silence of total solitude. She knew that he was only a few feet away, but the fact that she was outside and he was in the tent did make a significant difference to her.

For a while she simply sat with the fire, watching the flames and listening to the nocturnal creatures all around her. Today had turned out in an entirely unexpected way, and although she was in no way unhappy about this, it was just alot to take in. She sat in the relative darkness for some time, not really thinking about anything, just sitting and being quite happy with her own company. Of course, eventually this had to come to an end, as Sam began to feel distinctly sleepy.

To avoid any weirdness, Sam had made sure to keep her pyjamas outside of the tent, and changed here into a pair of shorts and tanktop. Now feeling comfortable enough for a good snooze, she made her way into the tent, attempting to be quiet, though she did quickly ask, "You awake?" As she was asking this, she of course zipped up the tent behind her, also feeling that keeping the critters nicely cut off from their little haven was more than a good idea.

It took Drew a couple of minutes to actually get comfortable in the sleeping bag. He wanted to be in his bed more than anything and mabey that was the reason why he couldn't go to sleep. Finially after fighting with the sleeping bag Drew adjusted his pillow and the blanket that was ontop of him. He was wondering what Samantha was doing but he let her have her own space, Everything had changed between them today. They finially amitted their feelings but Drew had no clue what " exactly" They were. Were they dating? Still trying to figure it out? Or just completely clueless on the situation.

When Samantha got in the tent and asked if he was awake, Drew opened his eyes since he haden't got that much into his sleep anyway. " Yeah?". Slowly he sat up and then looked at her.

( Sorry its short, not much to right at the moment)

Now snuggling into her own sleeping bag, Samantha sighed deeply, and eventually spoke to Drew, actually a little bit shy about it. "Well, you know we're going to need to talk sooner or later." She shrugged, glancing over to him in the darkness of the tent. They were in a pretty small space, but it didn't feel cramped. It was nice to feel so at ease with a person, despite the fact that such drastic changes had come about today.

"How's your arm?" She quickly asked, slipping that one in as she was actually concerned, as well as the fact that she wasn't really sure how talking so openly about their feelings would go. Yes, they were close, but discussing what exactly their relationship was now would not be all that easy. Even so, Sam took the initiative this time, deciding to just go straight for the honest truth. "If you don't hate the idea, then I'd love nothing more than giving 'us' a go." She laid down, looking up at the ceiling of the tent, just leaving her words out in the open, whether that be for good or ill.