The Butcher's Apprentice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vanni grinned but was still thoughtful. "Sure..." he agreed distractedly. "Hey, do you ever think about watching your brother take care of guys? Maybe, if we asked him..." He couldn't get out of his head the sight of the pierced heart, the broken ribs, the outer wound. He wanted to cause those things, but at the same time the responsibility to what he had just promised to Pyotr weighed heavily on him. "Never mind...let's just get drunk and celebrate right now..." he finally decided, running a slightly agitated paw through his hair.

Pyotr did a final check of the workshop and the store before locking up for the night. For once, his thoughts were not on his love. She would forgive him when she found out why. Instead of heading for home, he headed for Anastassia's, for his own celebratory drinks, and for a very important discussion.

Pushing open the door to the speak, he immediately handed the knives in his jacket to Jaska, not even waiting for the dog to ask for them. <Is Nikolai here, Jaska? I have something very important to talk to him about.> He was anxious, eager, but nothing to suggest that there was any trouble. Just, important. He barely stayed to wait for an answer before he was headed to the bar. <Fedya, I will need a bottle and two glasses tonight!> he called to his other friend behind the bar, despite the fact that Emily was not on his arm tonight.

"I bet if we asked, he'd let us. As many cheaters as he takes care of...if it comes up tonight, lets try. I'm pretty sure he's working tonight. If we see him, I'll ask. That way, if he does drag someone into the basement, he can come get us. If it's Pete, we'll get to watch someone get shot. Dimmy usually just beats them within an inch of their life. Pete doesn't work much anymore though. Not with his twins and all...I told you about that, right? His girlfriend or wife or whatever had twins. A boy and a girl. They aren't too surprised, seein' as how they're both fraternal twins themselves..."

Jaska nodded at the man, storing the knives in one of the cubbies behind him. <Yeah, he's in his office. About to go home, I think.>

The tiger behind the bar looked up and then towards the door. <One for your left hand and one for your right?> he asked with a smirk, pulling out the rwquested items all the same.

Pyotr laughed heartily, slapping the bar. He was in a great mood tonight. <Maybe another night I will allow my hands to keep each other company, but tonight, I have some excellent news to share with Nikolai, and it is definitely worthy of a drink!> He accepted the bottle and the glassed with his usual heartfelt thanks and waved to the pair, heading off towards Nikolai's office. He grinned as he knocked on the door, waiting for the reply.

"Pete's got a twin? Since when? I remember that night, when we got those guys who hurt Millya, that they were talking about Pete's girl being pregnant. Well, good for them. Twins are fun. Your brother and sister are pretty cute. I know they'll grow up really close. My twin cousins are identical, and they're thick as thieves," Vanni said decidedly. "Well, Dimitri or not, I definitely still need a drink. This week has definitely been torture...maybe focusing on actual Biology would help me keep my mind off Ms. Kacey's biology..." he said, his voice drifting a bit as he remembered the sight from a week previous.

Nikolai looked up at the knock on his door. Odd. He wasn't expecting anyone. He was thinking about calling it an early night, but whatever. <Come in!> he called, sitting back in his chair as he waited to see who it was.

"Yeah, Pete's got a twin. She kinda showed up out of nowhere. Her and her friend run an underground boxing ring and her friend is...well, ok, they're both kinda the female equivalents of Dimitri and Pete. It's kinda weird. I think Georgene also works as a stripper somewhere...that place that's all pink all over and run by that lady who likes catering to cops and firemen..." He stuffed his hands into his pockets and kicked at a rock on the ground. "We could see if we can get in there...they don't serve alcohol or anything...they serve like...tea, I think. In fancy teacups and shit. I hear it's a little weird, and really pink, but the girls are apparently worth it." he smirked. "Plus, you can just picture them all as Miss Kacey." he teased, bumping his shoulder into his friend as they walked.

Pyotr opened the door with a grin and entered quickly, closing it behind him. <Ah, good evening, Nikolai! I hope you are in the mood for some very good news!> he said in his usual cheerful manner. He set the glasses down and filled both before passing one to the man on the other side of the desk. <I have just come from the shop, and the last disposal you sent turned out to be very useful indeed!> He raised the glass to toast as he sat himself down.

Vanni pinched the bridge of his nose and put his hand up to stop his friend. "Whoa, whoa, whoa, you just dropped a lot of information on me! Slow down. Are you telling me there's an underground fight club for girls decorated like one of Caprice's tea parties?" He gave his friend an incredulous look.

"No, no, sorry. There's a strip club decorated like one of Caprice's tea parties. There's an underground fight club run by two girls Pete and Dimitri's age and one of them turned out to be Pete's long lost twin. That one, Pete's twin, she works at the fight club but also goes to the strip club decorated like a little girl's tea party and dances." He laughed a little. "I think I'd like to see a fight club like that, though...that'd be really funny..."

It was very hard for Nikolai to stay upset when anyone around him was happy. Especially as happy as Pyotr was. He smiled and took his glass with a soft thanks before sitting back in his chair and trying to figure out for himself how a dead body could be beneficial to a butcher. He laughed softly. <I give up, Pyotr. How could that sleazy cat have been any use to you?>

<Well, sir, he was very useful as a, shall we say, educational tool. I had the privilege of having your young Ivan and his Italian friend as very willing students this evening. He has grown much in his apprenticeship with me, so I believe it would be proper to celebrate with a toast to his new level of achievement,> he explained without more delay. <When those boys saved Millya that day, that was when I knew, your Ivan had the right heart and mind. You should be very proud to be his papa.>

"Oh...wow..." Vanni fell silent at that. He was already imagining it. "Maybe, even if I don't imagine them as Ms. Kacey, it'd be enough to get her out of my mind..." he considered. He was torn as to what he wanted to do. Getting drunk and asking Dimitri to let them watch him beat up a cheater, or staying sober and watching pretty girls strip? If he went to Anne's place, he wouldn't be subjected to pink and lace and tea, but there wouldn't be any stripping either. He still kept his distance from the back rooms. He didn't know what it was, but they just seemed to repel him.

<Da? That is wonderful!> He grinned and raised his glass to his favorite butcher and took a drink. <I was starting to worry he had gone a little soft! That I hadn't been hard enough on him as he grew up. I am glad to hear he has won another stamp of approval from you, Pyotr! This is truly wonderful news you bring me tonight!>

Ivan stayed away from the back rooms, too. Though, he had managed to tangle with one of the girls outside of Anne's...but it was Jessie, and she was a piece of work...Still... "Well, lets go have a drink at Dimitri's, see if anything's going on, then go over to Lilly's. That's the name of the place, by the way. Lilly's Petals." He shrugged. "So if no one's getting beat up in the back room, we can go to Lilly's Petals and have fun there instead." he grinned.

"Now that is a good idea. Though, maybe we should change clothes? We don't smell the freshest..." Vanni wondered if they could both get home and change and get out again without fuss from either of their families. Cesare wouldn't mind too much, but if Caprice spotted him, she'd put up a fuss about wanting to come too, and he didn't know what Ivan's mama would ask about where they were going. "...but do we dare going home?" he asked, finishing his thought aloud.

<Nyet, Nikolai. I think Ivan is very much unlike Dimitri. Both need to find their own way. I think, if you will permit me my opinion, that had you pushed Ivan more, he would have lost the spark that makes him who he is. I am sure he is a bright spot in your family in his own way, da? But, I do have a request I need to ask of you. Giovanni, his friend. He was very much interested in the lesson as well, and I told him not to talk about this to anyone until I had spoken to his family, as I believe is proper, da? But, I do not know how to set up such a meeting, or even with who. As much as I can gather from the boys without asking directly, he does not live with his parents? I do not hear him speak of them. I am hoping you would help me to do this for the young man?> Pyotr leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees as he broached the new subject.

Ivan laughed. "No. If I go home, I'll have to watch the twins..." he looked around. "I bet we could try one of the department stores...I think Macy's is open later than the butcher shop is." He looked over at his friend and smiled. "Can't relax if we smell like death, can we?"

The man nodded thoughtfully. <No, he lives with his brother. His parents are back in Italy.> He stroked his chin as he thought about it. He was pretty sure Aurora would go for it, but he didn't know too much about Cesare. He didn't do too much business with the man.> He smiled. <I will set up this meeting. It will be with his brother, Cesare, and possibly Mrs. Tarquinius. She is his cousin.> He finished his glass of vodka and set it down. <I will make the phone call tonight. Thank you, Pyotr. Both for taking care of my son, and for taking care of his friend.>

Last edited by a moderator:
"Yeah, that'll save me from having to sneak into my house too, or having to call Cesare to keep Caprice occupied. But I think," he added with a smirk, "if we're going to go through all this trouble, we ought to dress right up, like Dimitri. Remember what Pyotr said? We're men now!" He stopped to grin at his friend, his fists on his hips, to see what he thought.

<It is only my way of saying thanks to you, Nikolai, for taking a chance on a poor young butcher,> he answered with a smirk, draining his glass as well. <And I would not be learning my business well, if I did not take care of those who are important to the people important to me.> Pyotr stood with a polite bow. <I will be in the bar for awhile, I think I will chat with Fedya and Jaska awhile. I have not seen Jaska in a while, is he keeping himself scarce?> he wondered knowingly, turning to the door. Of course he knew why Jaska was not in the bar all his waking hours these days.

The teenager stared at his friend as if the words coming out of his mouth were pure gold. "I didn't even think about that." he said, absolutely in awe. Yes. They were going to buy suits. Proper suits. Just like his big brother wore. Just like his father wore. Well, ok, from the department store. His father's were personally tailored for him and he was pretty sure Dimitri had some suits like that, but whatever. "We should get proper hats, too." he said, taking the cap off his own head so he could look at it. "I mean, this is my dad's old army uniform hat...I think it's time I wore one of my own..."

Nikolai purred happily. He was always thankful the butcher had walked in asking for help. It was so much nicer than having to pay Aurora to use her crematorium. Plus, his middle son was in an apprentice ship he truly seemed to enjoy and be excited about. He was proud of both of his sons. Oh. Of his oldest two sons. He smiled and made a mental note that he needed an updated family portrait for his office. <Jaska has actually started to ask for time off to spend some time with his new lady-friend.> He laughed, standing up. <I'm surprised she isn't at the bar, now, bothering him and keeping him from his work! Speaking of, where is Emily tonight? It seems like it's been a while since I saw the pair of you together. Is she alright?>

<Ah, da. She has a new job now, along with her cousin, they are helping a couple they are friends with,> he explained with a smile. <I believe she is much happier with it. But da, we have a date tomorrow evening, so I will give her the night off!> Pyotr chuckled at his own joke and headed back out to the bar to talk to Fedya and tease Jaska some.

"I still like my soft cap too, and lots of men wear them casually, but yeah, to be properly dressed up, we need hats. I hope we can get good-fitting ones. I have a proper tailored one at home, but just the one, really. Maybe I'll ask Cesare to take me for a couple new ones..." he thought idly, starting to walk again. "But the department store should be good enough for one evening." He continued to smirk at his friend as they headed for the store.

"I've got my Sunday clothes at home, too, but...I don't know. That's different. It's a stuffy church suit. Or my nice clothes I wear when your family comes over for dinner. I want a suit like Dimitri's." he said with a smile, thinking about the way his brother was usually dressed any time he saw him. Of course, Dimitri dressed much differently when he was at Pete's house, but that wasn't the point. The point was that his now-18-year-old brother dressed like a man. And Ivan was a man now. He picked up his pace, putting his cap back on his head as he hurried towards the department store while trying to look like he wasn't in a hurry.

Fedya smiled at Pyotr when he walked back in. <Done drinking with the boss? Come back to drink with the lowly peasants?> he asked, standing up off his stool to lean against the bar instead.

Jaska grinned. <He came back to rub it in our faces, is all!> he said, standing up to lean his large frame in the doorway. <What was that all about, friend? What has you so happy when your woman isn't around?>

Pyotr laughed heartily. <Well, let's just say that I came to celebrate the promotion of my best apprentice, and to share the news with his father,> he said, fairly bursting with pride. It was clear to see Pyotr was almost as proud as if Ivan were his own son. He sat himself down at the bar and set his glass down soundly in front of him, still grinning.

"I've got a tux, but I don't wear it much. And yeah, it's still a boy's cut. And my Sunday clothes and a couple regular suits. But yeah, nothing as nice as Cesare's..." He paused as he got another idea. "Hey, you know what we should do tomorrow, when the stores are all open? Let's go to the shop and order our own suits! Maybe ask Dimitri, just for advice, or maybe we could even ask Aurora. But your dad and Cesare don't need to know. We've got our own money!" It was a heady feeling, like being drunk with power. They had their own money, their own plans, and Vanni was in the thrill of it all! He draped his arm around his friend as their destination came into view. "So what kind of suit do you like?"

<Good! That's wonderful news!> Fedya said, pouring him another drink.

Jaska's tail wagged happily. <It is. I'm glad the kid's working out for you. It seems to be helping him a lot, too. Before this, he was pretty quiet. He's really opened up.>

Ivan shrugged. "I don't know...honestly, I don't know what the different types are. You sound like you know more about suits than I do." he said, looking up at the store as they got closer. Soon, he was smiling and opening the door for his friend. "What kind of suit do you like?"

<Da, he is much more confident, and stronger. He knows the value of a good job, and is not afraid of hard work, which I have to say is a testament to Nikolai and Dina. They have raised him well. I think he just needed to find a place where he fit,> Pyotr agreed. <Even if he does not eventually become a butcher, I will not be sad. They say it takes a village, da? And I am glad to do my part.> He raised his glass to toast and knocked back half of it. When he spoke again, he was more thoughtful. <I know I do not talk of it much, but I must admit, there are some things from home I do miss. Though I would not return to communism for all the world, it was the camaraderie that I loved the most. Helping each other without thought of what you got in return. You know, the community. I think, for those of us in the villages, it was all we wanted. That's all we thought there was to it. To be free from large landholders and able to help each other. But not everyone thinks that way. I suppose I am just a naïve dreamer, but I like to think that even if apprenticing Ivan was not part of my deal with Nikolai, I would have done it anyway, as my thanks.> He put his paw over his heart and looked at Fedya as if pleading with him to understand.

Pyotr shook his head and sighed. <Ah well. We must do as we must, da? I did not mean to turn loose the drunk philosopher. Maybe I should drink more to drown him?> he said, a wry smirk returning to his face. He knocked back the rest of his glass and set it down again.

"Well, there's lots of different collars and jacket styles and cuffs and things, even different fabrics and trouser styles. It'll be easier to show you," Vanni explained, immediately heading for the mens' section. "How much money do you have on you?"

<Well, that's how a small town is supposed to work, isn't it? Neighbors helping neighbors when they need it? Strong bonds and all that? It's how the army is. Your platoon or group or whatever, they're your brothers...> the wolf looked over at the tiger behind the bar. <And what do you do for your brother? You go awol in the middle of the night and stow away on a ship to America to help him look for his half sister!> He laughed.

<And your brother greatly appreciates it!> He grinned and shook his head, moving to refill Pyotr's glass. <I like drunken philosophers. You know what they say, right? Drunk words are sober thoughts.>

<Don't get him too drunk.> Nikolai said, walking into the room. <He's got a meeting with Mrs. Tarquinius and Mr. Bonaduce in...> he checked his pocket watch. <As soon as I can get him over there.>

Ivan nodded. "Gotcha." he said, looking around as they walked through. "I've got quite a bit, actually. I haven't needed to spend my own money on art supplies anymore, so I've just kinda been saving up."

Pyotr's small ears perked up. "I do?" He looked down at himself. He was clean, but still dressed in his day suit. But he shrugged and emptied his glass before thanking Fedya. "I suppose we will have to be philosophers another evening," he grinned at the tiger.

"Good," Vanni nodded. "If we have to buy a department store suit, better make sure it's a good one. Here, let me show you the different suits. See, they have lots of different cuts to the jackets, and you can get shirts with different collars and cuffs. And some good links. Since it's evening, you know it has to be black or midnight blue, but we can get baggies. I don't like the huge ones, but I don't like tight trousers, either." Vanni pointed to the various components as they strolled around the department, until a floor clerk eventually came up to them.

"Can I help you young sirs?" he asked expectantly. He usually didn't bother with the young riff raff, as he termed them, but these boys looked willing to buy, and like they had some good money to spend. And he never turned down a commission.

Vanni smirked at him. "We would like to get some well-fitting evening suits, por favore," he said in his best Italian accent, looking almost bored. "Don't worry about the price. And we'd like to have the shirts and trousers pressed right away. We'll walk out in them, si?" He gave Ivan a very knowing look. They were going to play this to the hilt.

The tiger grinned. <I look forward to it.> he said, taking the glass to clean it off. <Good luck with your meeting.>

<He won't need good luck.> Nikolai said with a laugh. <He's fine. Come on, Pyotr.> he said, slapping his butcher on the back and leading him out to the car he drove to work.

"Da, da. Money is niet option." Ivan said, playing along and trying very hard not to let his excited grin show. "I am think tonight we are take black." he said with a nod. "And I am like the baggy." he looked around a little, then back at the man. "I am trust you are make both of us look good for the ladies, da?" he laughed softly. "We are need all of help we are get, da?" he asked with a cheerful laugh. He sounded exactly like his father with that cheerful laugh of his.

Status
Not open for further replies.