Fantasy, Modern, Magical, Sc-fi, Horror, Steampunk, anything really

The Bureau of Peculiar Affairs OOC

roleplay navigation

Interest Check
OOC - You are here
IC - TBD
TBPA Encyclopedia - TBD

turbulent times

The United States of America has a secret branch of government that deals with unusual circumstances. The Bureau of Peculiar Affairs handles supernatural cases and ensures the public doesn't see these anomalies. The year is 2022, and something is causing hostile Peculiars to come out in droves. There is more than the regular share of incidents, and so the BPA is recruiting extra talent and informants to help them understand and stop these turbulent times. Join us to unravel the mysteries and investigate the truth behind each case. What role will you play within the BPA?

rules and guidelines

Rule 001. Follow all of Iwakuroleplay's Rules

• This is the ultimate rule for every roleplay created on this site. If you don't know what's in the Terms of Service, you can read about the general rules here.

Rule 002. The GM is @Absyinthe

• The main GM of this roleplay is Absyinthe and she has the final word on what goes on in this roleplay. Feel free to direct any idea suggestions, comments, and/or questions to her when necessary.

Rule 003. No Godmodding, Powerplay, Mary Sues-etc

• Do not take advantage of another player's character without prior consent. Please try to make original characters that aren't all powerful. If the power of your peculiar is too OP I may ask you to modify it.

Rule 004. Let's all have some fun!

• We are here to write and collaborate on a story together, please leave any OOC drama out of the roleplay. Let's enjoy ourselves and do some investigating!

Rule 005. Post Quality Not Quantity

• The post length generally doesn't matter to me, as long as, what you are writing contributes substance to the plot and flow of the story. It can be a novel or one paragraph, just make it count!

Rule 005. IC Posts Every TWO WEEKS

• I'd like to get out a GM post every two weeks. Obviously if life gets in the way we can work something out.

Rule 006. This thread is for CHARACTER SHEETS only.

• You can discuss everything about the roleplay in the Discord.

character creation

If you want to join this roleplay, read over these notes on what kind of character you can create, then fill out the respective sheets for that type of character. If you have any questions, please address them in the discord. This thread is only for pending character sheets and comments about them.

Note 1. Four Characters Allowed

• The general max is four characters per player. If you wish to make more than four, you will need to show me that you can engage all of your current characters in the plot.

Note 2. Art Images Only

• I'd prefer it if all the character images were art and not photos of real people. Just descriptions are okay too.

Note 3. Read Each Tab

• Read each tab below to understand what type of character you want to make. The respective character sheet for each type will be in the tab, as well.

Note 4. No Limit to Types

• There is no limit to what types of characters you make for your four slots. You can have all four be peculiars, one of each, or however you please.

Investigator Character Sheet
investigator description

As an Investigator Character, you will explore and investigate cases of peculiars around the United States of America. This character is on the front lines of solving peculiar affairs. They report to a Council Member with their findings and have several Peculiar Informants to aid them in their missions. Investigators receive training from the moment they are accepted into the BPA to handle all sorts of scenarios and situations. Once an Investigator has been in the BPA long enough, they will receive a skill assessment and subsequent discipline training for the skill they show the most aptitude. Overall these characters are hardy and tough, eager to jump into the fray at a moment's notice.

investigator disciplines

Through effort and hard work, your character gains recognition for what they do best. The BPA lists skills that benefit an Investigator the most and forms training and workshops for your character to partake. With better work and more case files solved, rewards are sure to follow. The BPA takes care of their own. There are four disciplines to work on as an Investigator; Observation, Research, Communication, and Defense. More information about each is down below:

Observation DisciplineWhen you are investigating, do you prioritize observing your surroundings? Do you notice things others don't? Perhaps your character should focus on this Discipline Training if they wish to gain keen senses and discover the world with new lenses. Anyone who works hard enough in this discipline will notice things others may pass up. Overall, learning how to observe your character's surroundings will benefit them in future cases.

Research DisciplineEach Investigator must research the facts behind each event they experience. If your character is particularly studious and yearns to understand the knowledge behind each case, they should attend workshops that discuss the best tactics to finding clues in the text. Overall, those who use their brains to their advantage benefit most from this discipline.

Communication DisciplineWhen talking with Peculiars, an Investigator has to have some level of persuasion. They need to have a charismatic air about them that allows de-escalation of serious situations they may encounter. This discipline works on techniques your character can communicate if an event got out of hand. Overall, those that are better at compelling others to do what they wish, benefit most from this type of training.

Defense DisciplineThe most important part about dealing with the supernatural is defending yourself against attacks of any kind. Those that are strong and have no fear are the best examples of what an Investigator should strive to be. Everyone should have some Defense training regardless of their aptitude. Overall, those who have the gall to kill the worst of the Peculiars benefit the most from going all the way with this discipline.

investigator sheet

Fill out the sheet below and post your pending character to this thread for review. A quick copy and paste code is at the bottom.

Full Name:
What is your investigator's name?

What is your character's gender/pronouns?

Appearance:
What does your character look like?

Personality:
How does your character act?

Strengths:
What is your character's strongest traits?

Fears:
What is your character afraid of?

Home Location:
Where did your investigator join the BPA?

Reason for Joining:
What was your character's reason for joining the BPA?

Best Discipline:
What Investigator Discipline is your character the best at?

Worst Discipline:
What Investigator Discipline is your character the worst at?

Extra Information:
Anything extra you wish to tell us about your investigator goes here.

Fieldset:
[b]Full Name:[/b]
[i]What is your investigator's name?[/i]

[b]Age:[/b]
[i]How old is your character?[/i]

[b]Gender:[/b]
[i]What is your character's gender/pronouns?[/i]

[b]Appearance:[/b]
[i]What does your character look like?[/i]

[b]Personality:[/b]
[i]How does your character act?[/i]

[b]Strengths:[/b]
[i]What is your character's strongest traits?[/i]

[b]Fears:[/b]
[i]What is your character afraid of?[/i]

[b]Home Location:[/b]
[i]Where did your investigator join the BPA?[/i]

[b]Reason for Joining:[/b]
[i]What was your character's reason for joining the BPA?[/i]

[b]Best Discipline:[/b]
[i]What Investigator Discipline is your character the best at?[/i]

[b]Worst Discipline:[/b]
[i]What Investigator Discipline is your character the worst at?[/i]

[b]Extra Information:[/b]
[i]Anything extra you wish to tell us about your investigator goes here.[/i]

Council Member Character Sheet
council member description

As a Council Member Character, you will understand the secret workings of the BPA, dish out cases to Investigators, and judge captured Peculiars on whether or not they deserve punishment and sometimes even rewards. There are several ranks to the Council, with the highest being Rank I and the lowest being Rank X. Certain privileges are only available to those at the highest tiers. You have the choice to pick the Rank your character starts at in the IC. You may only have one character that begins as a top-three rank level. The goal is to advance your standing in the Council through in-character actions.

council member duties

The BPA gives out a list of duties that a Council Member can accomplish within a workweek. These duties are split into four categories; Paperwork, Meetings, Judgement, and Support. More information about the duties for each category is down below:

Paperwork DutiesThese duties require you to deal with lots of paperwork. This duty is when you assign most cases to Investigators. Everything requires some form of paperwork to be signed, filed, and put away for record-keeping.

Meeting DutiesThere is a calendar of scheduled meetings and the dates your character can sign-up for them. These duties are always mandatory and very long. There usually is a meeting for every major decision and case that goes through the BPA. Everyone has to be in a meeting at some point, but Council Members are the ones who run them and plan how they go. The higher the Rank, the more responsibility you have over planning.

Judgement DutiesEvery Peculiar brought into the BPA has to be judged by a panel of Council Members. An outcome is determined by the severity of their actions. Each Judgement trial can have a different result; it could end in the Peculiar being imprisoned or promoted to an informant of the organization. This duty is to ensure a fair process of detaining Peculiars.

Support DutiesAs a Council Member, you are assigned one or more investigators that you must oversee their progress and support them along their journey in the BPA. Depending on the investigator you are assigned, they may require you to support them in several ways. Some may need backup in the field; others may need a hug after a tough day at work. Be sure to discuss what type of support is best for the investigators you are assigned. Remember, performance reviews are based on your level of support.

council member sheet

Fill out the sheet below and post your pending character to this thread for review. A quick copy and paste code is at the bottom.

Full Name:
What is your council member's name?

Appearance:

Personality:

Strengths:

Fears:

Favored Branch Location:
Where is your Council Member's favored Branch Location?

Council Rank:
What rank is your character within the council?

Preferred Duty:
What is your character's preferred Council Member duty?

Undesirable Duty:
What duty does your character consider undesirable?

Extra Information:
Anything extra you wish to tell us about your Council Member goes here.

Fieldset:
[i]What is your council member's name?[/i]

[i]What is your character's strongest traits?[/i]

[b]Fears:[/b]
[i]What is your character afraid of?[/i]

[b]Favored Branch Location:[/b]
[i]Where is your Council Member's favored Branch Location?[/i]

[b]Council Rank:[/b]
[i]What rank is your character within the council?[/i]

[b]Preferred Duty:[/b]
[i]What is your character's preferred Council Member duty?[/i]

[b]Undesirable Duty:[/b]
[i]What duty does your character consider undesirable?[/i]

[i]Anything extra you wish to tell us about your Council Member goes here.[/i]

Peculiar Character Sheet
peculiar description

As a Peculiar Character, you are the subject of our investigations! You are peculiar in every sense of the word. Your character has strange and supernatural origins and powers that you can portray in many ways. Although there has to be some reason the BPA is keeping an eye on you, you can't just blend into normal society. Your Peculiar has to have some level of sentience for you to play as them. The GM plays any Monsters with low-level intelligence. So carefully consider in what way your character is Peculiar.

peculiar types

The BPA has made a list of four types they sort every Peculiar Case into; Helpful, Informant, Nuisance, and Dangerous. When creating a Peculiar, you are free to make them fit into whatever category you want. Information about each type is down below:

Helpful TypesThese Peculiars are generally harmless and rather helpful. However, these creatures may be exposing their kind to the general public without meaning to and have to be corrected by the BPA. In a Judgement Trial, if a helpful Peculiar is deemed worthy, they are offered a position as an informant in the BPA.

Informant TypesAs an Informant Peculiar, you are actively working with the BPA to seek out the more aggressive Peculiars and either gain information or help bring them in for questioning. You are legally an employee with the BPA and can receive benefits and salary upon request.

Nuisance TypesIf you choose to create this type of Peculiar, you are not the most dangerous in the world; however, you cause problems and are always at risk of imprisonment if you do something serious. Not necessarily true evil, but chaotic neutral.

Dangerous TypesIf you wish, you can create a Peculiar that is a massive danger to society, an aggressive sentient creature that is not afraid to take others down with it if that were the case. They would automatically be the first threat to take down in any scenario. Plot points could prove beneficial to these Peculiars.

peculiar sheet

Full Name:
What is your peculiar's name?

Case #:
What is the Case Number for this Peculiar?

Appearance:

Personality:

Peculiarity:
What makes your character classified as a Peculiar?

Peculiar Type:
What type of Peculiar are you?

Strengths:
What is your Peculiar's strengths?

Weaknesses:
What is your character's weaknesses?

Nesting Grounds:
Where can your character be found?

Extra Information:
Anything extra you wish to tell us about your Council Member goes here.

Fieldset:
[i]What is your peculiar's name?[/i]

[b]Case #:[/b]
[i]What is the Case Number for this Peculiar?[/i]

[b]Peculiarity:[/b]
[i]What makes your character classified as a Peculiar?[/i]

[b]Peculiar Type:[/b]
[i]What type of Peculiar are you?[/i]

[i]What is your Peculiar's strengths?[/i]

[b]Weaknesses:[/b]
[i]What is your character's weaknesses?[/i]

[b]Nesting Grounds:[/b]
[i]Where can your character be found?[/i]

[i]Anything extra you wish to tell us about your Council Member goes here.[/i]

Full Name:

Masuku (real name unknown)

Non-Binary and They/Them

Appearance:
View attachment 231038

Personality:

Sardonic, Quiet, Non-Judgmental, Mysterious

Strengths:

Masuku tends to keep to themselves but talks little and instead does many things by gestures and eye movements. As for what they excel at, is not fighting so much as annoying the living crap out of their enemies by using tricks such as illusions and curses/hexes. Though they tend to sigh when annoyed or bored, and the two seem to come hand and hand for just about anything they find unimportant or uninteresting. They do not use weapons either, but the environment's natural consequences instead. Agile and typically staring off into space, many think they're just not paying attention or uninterested. However, while the ruse is just a act about half of the time, he considers their enemies as equals and not to underestimate in the least.

Fears:

Taking their mask off. Masuku's face from the nose down is covered in stitches, primarily their mouth which they cannot use to eat but can drink, so they generally eat foods that're of a liquid kind or substance. Their mouth is sealed due to a ravenous craving for flesh of the supernatural kind. If not sealed, they will go on a rampage and try to devour their enemy until nothing is left. Living, undead or otherwise, he hungers constantly for flesh. But keeps that trait at bay by having their mouth stitched shut since they were young.

Home Location:

In a Cave located deep in a ancient forest

Reason for Joining:

To repress the cravings of supernatural flesh and to help those in need. Wishes to repent for the past actions committed against the innocent and guilty parties they devoured without resistant. It tortures them constantly that they inflicted so much pain and killed so many to satisfy their insatiable hunger...

Best Discipline:

Observation/Defense

Worst Discipline:

Research/Communication

Extra Information:

It is unclear if they are of full human heritage and why they crave the flesh of the supernatural so desperately. As a child they would consume flesh of the supernatural to try and keep themselves at bay, but the hunger pains became so intense as a teen they were forced to sew their mouth shut and take up a purely liquid diet...(more info to come as the character develops)

For the most part, your character is good. I just have a few questions for you before I fully approve him!

It is only supernaturals this character eats right? They wouldn't be able to join the BPA if they had a craving for mortal flesh at all, that seems too dangerous.

When they would consume peculiars how do they go about it? Not every peculiar is easy to swallow so to speak? I just am curious in what manner they use their "gift"? I don't mind if they are also peculiar too.

Hmm I think that's all the questions I have for now, just let me know and he should be good to go.
No he has no interest in mortal flesh lol

They literally EAT them like, bite, claw, you name it. They'd act like a ravenous animal and EAT them as is. If they can't just eat them they basically have a special ability where their whole body 'splits open with teeth' and inhales them to eat them, basically so to speak. xD Thus it isn't sure what peculiar they might also be lol

• Thank You
Reactions: Absyinthe_Artica
Full Name:

Non-Binary and They/Them

Appearance:
View attachment 231038

Personality:

Strengths:

Masuku tends to keep to themselves but talks little and instead does many things by gestures and eye movements. As for what they excel at, is not fighting so much as annoying the living crap out of their enemies by using tricks such as illusions and curses/hexes. Though they tend to sigh when annoyed or bored, and the two seem to come hand and hand for just about anything they find unimportant or uninteresting. They do not use weapons either, but the environment's natural consequences instead. Agile and typically staring off into space, many think they're just not paying attention or uninterested. However, while the ruse is just a act about half of the time, he considers their enemies as equals and not to underestimate in the least.

Fears:

Taking their mask off. Masuku's face from the nose down is covered in stitches, primarily their mouth which they cannot use to eat but can drink, so they generally eat foods that're of a liquid kind or substance. Their mouth is sealed due to a ravenous craving for flesh of the supernatural kind. If not sealed, they will go on a rampage and try to devour their enemy until nothing is left. Living, undead or otherwise, he hungers constantly for flesh. But keeps that trait at bay by having their mouth stitched shut since they were young.

Home Location:

Reason for Joining:

To repress the cravings of supernatural flesh and to help those in need. Wishes to repent for the past actions committed against the innocent and guilty parties they devoured without resistant. It tortures them constantly that they inflicted so much pain and killed so many to satisfy their insatiable hunger...

Best Discipline:

Observation/Defense

Worst Discipline:

Research/Communication

Extra Information:

It is unclear if they are of full human heritage and why they crave the flesh of the supernatural so desperately. As a child they would consume flesh of the supernatural to try and keep themselves at bay, but the hunger pains became so intense as a teen they were forced to sew their mouth shut and take up a purely liquid diet...(more info to come as the character develops)

For the most part, your character is good. I just have a few questions for you before I fully approve him!

It is only supernaturals this character eats right? They wouldn't be able to join the BPA if they had a craving for mortal flesh at all, that seems too dangerous.

When they would consume peculiars how do they go about it? Not every peculiar is easy to swallow so to speak? I just am curious in what manner they use their "gift"? I don't mind if they are also peculiar too.

Hmm I think that's all the questions I have for now, just let me know and he should be good to go.

They literally EAT them like, bite, claw, you name it. They'd act like a ravenous animal and EAT them as is. If they can't just eat them they basically have a special ability where their whole body 'splits open with teeth' and inhales them to eat them, basically so to speak. xD Thus it isn't sure what peculiar they might also be lol

Alrighty sounds good. We can make it to where your character doesn't know their peculiarity and that's the reason why they joined. They need the BPA's help figuring out the details of their powers, etc? Otherwise its good to go and I'll add you onto the IC list.

• According to Plan
Reactions: Slaynoir
su
Full Name:

Non-Binary and They/Them

Appearance:
View attachment 231038

Personality:

Strengths:

Fears:

Home Location:

Reason for Joining:

Best Discipline:

Observation/Defense

Worst Discipline:

Research/Communication

Extra Information:

Alrighty sounds good. We can make it to where your character doesn't know their peculiarity and that's the reason why they joined. They need the BPA's help figuring out the details of their powers, etc? Otherwise its good to go and I'll add you onto the IC list.
sure!

Full Name:
William Benjamin Muller

Appearance:
On top of his usual outfit, William will wear into the field a light armored plate carrier with the trade off for the lack of protection is for more pouches on the vest. A windbreaker with pockets along the shoulders and forearms. And underneath the mask and goggles is a brown haired young man with a well rounded face, not too gaunt or too squarish, with a bit of young face going on.
Daniel_Sketchpage.jpg
Art by Starfallhybrid Userpage of StarfallHybrid -- Fur Affinity [dot] net https://twitter.com/HybridStarfall

Personality:
Honest | Loyal | Knowledgeable | Green as Grass | Good-Natured

Strengths:
Decent Shot | Fix-It-Expert | Knows his guns | Follows orders without question or misunderstanding

Fears:
The Dark {Refer to Incident "Operation Dark Night"} | Wendigos/Werewolves/The Undead | Being turned into an abomination

Home Location:
Idaho, Ruppert

Reason for Joining:
Following an incident during "Operation Dark Night" which was to flush enemy combatants out of a large cave system located in the Middle East, William's company was sent in along with several others mixed forces to complete their part of the mission. Unfortunately, the forces encountered a pack of supernatural creatures, and out of three-hundred soldiers sent in, only fifteen were able to make it out, their report was that they encountered creatures that when compared to BPA records, were similar to Nosferatu but more primitive, less reliant on blood to survive, instead more consuming of flesh. Still weak to UV as later excursions would reveal, but first encounters went okay until the forces split into smaller groups to scout the many openings into the cave system, leading to a bloodbath.

The group that William was with only made it out by pure luck. For when the forces were getting decimated, BPA was alerted via an inside agent shortly before his untimely demise to the situation. BPA agents were able to set up a perimeter and deploy into the caves and save the remaining fifteen soldiers. All of whom had managed to kill a good number of the creatures before rescue, most were offered to join up with BPA but many had to be put into therapy and only a few were fit for active duty. William being one of them.

Best Discipline:
Defence - Willaim being in the Army knows how to defend himself and others, combine this with his love for guns and knowledge of them, he can figure out the right weapon for the job. Hint, it's typically a LMG.

Worst Discipline:
Communication - William has trouble talking to people outside of his squad or allies, either not loud enough or with enough confidence. As such he just lets others do the talking.

Extra Information:
Preferring easy to manage weaponry, William carries with him as a Primary. A modified more compact AR-15 with a duel module flashlight and laser sight. Red Dot sights and speedpull magazines. His secondary is a Five-Seven with a custom built rig to turn the pistol into a SBR.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Absyinthe_Artica