The Book of Thoth

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I'm not lazy!" Danny replied indignantly, taking the dish. "You don't have to lug around one hundred ninety four pounds while chasing a short girl who insists on running everywhere." Well, that was what he weighed the last time he'd checked. Which was quite a few months ago. When you live on the road, checking in with a doctor is pretty random, and usually comes after an injury. Then, he turned his attention to the fuul, smiling. "Yeah, I've had this. I have been here before, you know. You want to find someplace to sit down?"

Amelia went along with the teasing, finding it a quality she was coming to actually like about Daniel. She agreed to his offer to sit down and found an area in a public square that overlooked the Nile. Across the way, was the necropolis that was the Valley of the Kings. She set her bag down in front of her as she sat down on the bench and took a bite of her snack. Amelia shrugged off the leather jacket she embarrassingly realized she was still wearing and handed it to Daniel. "Here," she said, simply. "It's getting too hot to wear this now, but thanks for letting me borrow it all night."

Daniel accepted the jacket, smiling widely. "No problem," he replied, folding it up and shoving in his backpack. He zipped it up and set it down on the ground, sitting next to her on the bench. "So this friend of yours," he began, taking a couple bites of his food. "You said it was a college friend of yours?" Daniel had to admit, he was curious about meeting one of her friends. An intelligent one, no less, especially if this friend could get them into one of the tombs on the Valley of the Kings. Egypt, thanks to its rich history, kept sites like that and its museums well secured. "Who is he?" he asked after finishing his bite, then looked at her.

Amelia munched on the food as she tried to think of a way to describe the man they were about to meat. For a moment she debated on how much she should tell Daniel about the man, but figured Daniel deserved as much as she could offer, especially if the man would be their ticket into the tomb they needed to go to. "Well," she finally said, "his name is Ethan Grayson, for starters. We were in the same major and did a lot of field work together. He's well-respected as an archaeologist and is a professor now back at the old Uni. He's," she trailed off, her brows furrowing as she thought of the words to describe the man. "He's ah- kind of pretentious," she explained, a small smirk forming on her face. "You know, well-respected man who travels the world and is 'cultured' and has a master's.. He's pretty arrogant, kinda hard not to be if you live that kind of life. Ethan's a nice enough guy though, and he knows what I do for a living, so we don't have to hide that part, at least. He doesn't like it, but he can hardly complain since my ah - 'methods' have gotten me into places that he can never get to even with his master's. And the stuff I find stays out of the black market and he can respect that much. That's why before I even left for Egypt, I got a hold of him and told him I would likely need his help," she explained, taking more bites out of the food.

"So he knows we're coming? Great." She mentioned that he was pretentious, though, and that was a personality aspect Daniel tended to dislike. Still...if he could get them into the dig site, dammit, he could shut his damn mouth and not start an argument or something. "So, you screw him?" he asked, going back to the question he'd asked before they got on the plane. It wasn't coming from jealousy; feeling such an emotion about his current partner would be inappropriate. Daniel wasn't really a jealous man, anyway. The question was asked more out of curiosity, if anything, and so he could make sure not to walk in on anything...interesting. He doubted that Amelia was the type to do such a thing, although you never knew. Better to be safe than sorry.

Amelia both admired and cringed at Daniel's bluntness. "No," she said, "I didn't screw him. I may have fantasized though," she admitted, her smile growing a bit wistful at the thought of past. Amelia may have been a little starstruck when she first met him, if she were honest with herself. From the start, everyone could see that Ethan was great for his chosen field and he commanded a great deal of respect, something that Amelia admired. However, she wasn't a fool either. She knew that he thought he was all high and mighty and the sheer arrogance the man exuded was something that she knew wasn't for her. "You get over passing fancies like him real fast." It wasn't that Amelia hadn't dated throughout college, she'd had a few boyfriends - none of which worked out - especially after she finished her bachelor's degree and went for her master's. Her master's had required a lot more work out of her and she simply didn't have time for relationships. Then, eventually, it became that her lifestyle wasn't very accommodating to relationships either.

Amelia shook herself out of her inner ramblings and focused back on the conversation. "Here, we're under the cover that we're archaeologists doing some restoration on the tombs of the Valley," she added.

"Archaeologists? Alright. I can do that." This would not be the first, second, or even third time that Daniel had played one, honestly. The first time had been in Borneo, the third in Russia, and the second one...Well, the second one had been in the Caribbean. He'd needed to sneak onto a ship owned by a black market artifact dealer, so posing as an archaeologist looking for something to add to a private collection made sense. The night had ended with more than a few items in Daniel's possession and the boat blown up. It was probably his favorite job, to this very day. "So, where do we go to meet this guy?" he asked after finishing the food.

Amelia stood up and pointed to a ferry that was currently making its way to their side of the river. "He'll be on there, on the next ferry. It's the first one that runs in the morning and he should be with a group of students waiting to take them down to the valley. We'll join up with him there and he'll give us the rundown," she explained as she hauled her bag over her shoulder and began walking as she finished her food.

Daniel stood, took a few quick steps and caught up with her. "Alright, sounds great." Ooh, a boat. He liked boats. Of course, he hadn't been on one that hadn't been sunk, blown up, or fought upon for years. He just had a tendency to bring fights and explosions with him sometimes, especially when on things that float. Since students were involved, he hoped that it wouldn't happen this time. "How far?" he asked, looking at her.

Status
Not open for further replies.