The Book of Thoth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Daniel laughed. "Fine, be difficult. I'll just ask him, then," he replied, lifting his eyebrows and grinning.
Asad walked in at that moment, shaking his head upon seeing the bag on the counter. "I knew you were going to rob me, Danny."
"Damn straight!" Daniel replied, grinning even wider-as if that was possible-and taking another large bite out of the cookie in his hand. "We ready to go, then, babe?" he asked, turning to Amelia once he'd chewed the bite.

"Don't worry, he's only going to rob you of your junk food," Amelia said with a roll of her eyes, even as she reached for the bag herself and grabbed a few more cookies for the road. She was damn hungry, after all. Amelia turned to Asad. "I can't promise you that he didn't smuggle any sweets into his bag," she told the man, before turning to Daniel and smiling tiredly. She sure hoped she'd be able to get at least an hour's rest on the plane, although she wasn't sure if she would be able to fall asleep with all that happened still fresh. She shook herself a bit before walking alongside Daniel and leaning against him slightly. "Let's get out of this country," she said to him as they began walking outside.

Daniel nodded and walked away from the counter, then abruptly stopped, turned around, snatched the bag of cookies from off the counter and stashed it in his bag. It was going to be a long plane ride, after all, and Asad wouldn't exactly serve meals in-flight. Then he caught up to Amelia and smiled at her, gently taking her hand. This acting like a couple thing? Way easier than he thought. But Daniel wasn't exactly going to own up to the reason why.
Asad pushed open the door, jogging out to the plane. "Got your shit?" He looked back at them and nodded. "Good." The plane was a Cessna Skylane, built for range. He popped open the door, then gestured inside. "Put your crap in the copilot's seat, I can fly this baby by myself."

If Amelia were honest with herself, she would admit that her and Daniel walking the way they were now was pretty comfortable. However, Amelia would never admit that, even to herself. She quickly ignored the feeling and removed her hand from Daniel's to hop into the Cessna. Putting her stuff into the copilot's seat like Asad said, Amelia quickly turned to the man in question. "Thanks again for doing this for us," she repeated before getting into one of the seats in the back and letting herself practically sag into the comfortable seat which in reality was not that very comfortable, but if you spend the whole night running away from a pirate druglord, then even a stone floor feels like a Serta mattress.

Oh, no no no. This was a luxury plane. Since Asad had paid more than five hundred thousand dollars for the thing, it damn well better be nice. The seats were made of supple leather, the interior stylish and matching the paint job. It was a beautiful piece of machinery.
Daniel climbed in after her, sitting in the empty seat after setting his back pack in the front. He retrieved the cookie bag from the front pocket, then leaned back. He was pretty jealous of the vehicle, even though he was more of a motorcycle guy, himself.
Asad sat in the front seat, turning to the plane's dash with a focus that was damn impressive. After putting the headset on, he looked over the seat at the pair of them, then said, "Better buckle up."

Amelia did as the man said and buckled up the seatbelt as she got more comfortable in the seat. Sitting up wasn't the most ideal position for her to sleep, but the seats were comfortable enough and Amelia has slept in far worse (and in one case, standing upright) so she could hardly complain. "I hope you're planning to share those," she told Daniel as she reached across the seat and grabbed some more of the cookies from the bag.

Daniel moved them further away from her, then crossed his arms. "What do I get, then?" he asked, lifting his eyebrows. Dammit, he enjoyed teasing her. It was something that he couldn't help, really.
Asad sighed softly, managing to ignore the couple and run through his pre-flight checklist. You know, basic things like checking wind speed, the fuel gauge, making sure the parking brake is off, starting the plane's engine, et cetera.

"My undying love?" she responded with a small smirk, as she stretched herself even further across the seat and grabbed his arms with as much strength as she could muster from her awkward position over the seat. "C'mon, it wouldn't kill you to share something with me once in a while," she complained, her mood feeling much lighter knowing that soon they were going to be getting the fuck out of here and flying right over Tamir and his men.

Daniel fended her off easily, thanks to the reach his arms gave him. "Aren't I supposed to already have that?" he asked, faking a comically hurt expression. Inwardly, he was congratulating himself on holding her back. Even with the benefit of his height, she was a persistent woman.
The plane's engines roared to life, and the craft took off down the runway and then flew up into the night sky.

"I'm taking back my vows until you share your food with me," she said simply, cursing herself for not having longer arms and instead trying to yank Daniel's arms towards her. Amelia fell back into her seat, however, as the plane picked up speed and took off. She sat back in the leather and crossed her arms with a huff of air that sent strands of her hair flying upwards. "I give up," she conceded. "But I'll remember this when I'm the one buying food later," she warned, uncrossing her arms and jabbing a finger into Daniel's bicep.

"You are a cruel, wicked woman," he told her, sighing softly and relinquishing the bag of cookies. After taking one or three, of course. "You should probably get some sleep, babe," he told her, taking a bite out of a cookie. Advice he should also follow, honestly, but he'd wait until the cookies were gone. He wouldn't be able to get much of it anyway, but he at least needed to try.

Amelia ate a handful of cookies from the bag as she smirked triumphantly. She grabbed a few more before handing the bag back. "You're probably right," she sighed, finishing the last bits of the snack before attempting to get more comfortable on the seat. "You should get some sleep too. We're going to have a long day ahead of us," she mumbled as she settled for simply folding her legs under her on the seat and resting her head on her shoulder.

Amelia fell asleep pretty quickly after that, the exhaustion from the day's events overtaking her fear of falling asleep around people she barely knew. On top of the events that occurred at the hotel and the car chase that followed, Amelia had had to break into a ship virtually undetected to steal the map and get out of there before Tamir knew the wiser. Her expeditions had always carried her into some odd situations, but this by far, was the craziest one she's done in a long time.

"Morning, love birds," Asad told them, hopefully loud enough to wake them both.
Danny sat up suddenly, eyes wide. He wiped the drool from his chin and stared at Asad. "We're here? We're here. Great." Damn, he'd gotten more sleep than he thought he would. Might even be considered somewhat well rested. After yawning loudly, he glanced down at the small drool spot he'd left on the seat, simultaneously wondering what he had been dreaming about and hoping that Asad didn't notice it.

At the sound of Asad's voice, Amelia blearily blinked her eyes open. "Whaa..?" she mumbled for a second, before her eyes came into focus and adjusted to the morning light. "Damn, already?" she said as she tried to fix her sleep-tossled hair. She looked at Daniel and had to bite her lip to keep from laughing at the drool. "You sleep well, princess?" she asked, sarcastically as she got up from the seat and stretched. Damn, it felt good to just sleep. She hadn't expected she would sleep the whole ride, but she could hardly complain.

"Screw you," he replied almost automatically, with his customary smile. That was when he realized that he actually liked Amelia, and was softening up around her. Something he did around few people. Dammit, Daniel thought, I can't get so familiar with this woman. Once this was over, they'd go back to being rivals, and any trust built up between them would be for exactly shit.
"Welcome to Luxor," Asad told them, smiling and leaning over the seat. "You guys'll be fine from here, right? I need to get back home."

Amelia smiled back at Daniel, feeling great after having rested and knowing that thanks to Daniel's contact they are now in Luxor with Tamir not having a clue as to where they are. "We'll be fine," Amelia said, turning to Asad with a grateful smile. "Thanks for doing this for us." With that, she grabbed her bag from the co-pilot's seat and hauled it over her shoulder before hopping out of the Cessna. "Hurry your ass up, Daniel!" she called back as she began to make her way off of the landing strip.

"Yeah, no problem," Asad called after Amelia, then looked at Daniel and mutter. "Stay out of trouble, Sasquatch."
Danny grinned at the nickname, grabbing his pack. "You don't even know what Sasquatch is." The he climbed out of the plane and took off after Amelia. Damn, that girl is fast, he thought, running to catch up. "Slow down, speed racer," he told her once he'd caught up, slinging the backpack over his shoulder. "I'm speed challenged." The six hours of rest on the plane had done wonders for him, and his usual optimism and humor were back tenfold.

"Or just lazy," she pointed out, not slowing down in the least. "We're here in Luxor, and for now, we're safe. Let's get some food and get straight to work," she said, now that they were off the landing strip, she was making her way towards the more developed part of Luxor. Luckily, it wasn't as crowded as Cairo was, but it was filled with with people and tourists and old monuments open to the public. There were a few street vendors and Amelia excitedly made her way to a busy one. "Look, they're selling fuul!" she said, signaling to the man who ran the stand that she wanted two of the fava bean dish and the man grilled them up for her. As she handed him the money, she made her way to Daniel and held one out. "It's good, trust me," she insisted. Amelia was feeling more awake than she had in a long time and the morning air was still crisp but warm, making her mood lighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.