The Bonded Ones

"Two-le-- Yes, I'm friendly...More or less."He walked towards the bird. "Where did you learn to speak?"

'Two-legs nest.... Group?" I wasn't sure what the word for colony was, but it seemed humans had nest colonies, like purple martins did. "I hatch in two-legs nest group, I pick up mean of words."

"A city? Village?" He could somewhat understand it but not well. "Do you have a name?" He walked a bit closer.

"Name? No, not need one." I started preening my feathers, stitching the barbules together and rubbing oil glands to make them glossy again. Now they reflected green and purple.

"Well what am I gonna call you then?" He sat down in front of the bird and yawned. He wanted to go back to sleep but this intriged him.

"Raven?" I didn't really care what I was known as, even the English word for bullshit would do for a name. I did know that word, too. It was said so much.

"That's a bit unimaginative wouldn't you say?" He looked like he was thinking quite hard when he said"Eryi! How about Eryi?"

"Eryi?" I lifted and lowered my wings without spreading them, my imitation of a shrug.

"Yeah...Eryi. I just randomly thought of it. You like it or should I think of another one." He was twiling his dagger on his nose. Already thinking of a new name in case it didn't like it.

"Eryi fine." I said, looking at the human.

"Eryi IS fine..." He realized she didn't know the basics of english...Maybe he should teach her."Want me to teach you english properly?"

"I talk English now. I learn already." I cocked my head at him.

Man had awoken at the touch of my tongue. Man? Man sat staring at him. Was man enemy or was man friend? I cock my head to the side in confusion, letting my tail still sway but slower. I paw at mans leg, seeing if man will respond.

"No, I meant fluently." He stood up and reached in the tent to fold his sleeping bag.

I slowly crept out from behind the tree I had been slumped upon. I had heard voices, but I had been much too tired to go investigate. I sigh and open my eyes, feeling the soft chill of the snow landing on my face. I stood up and gripped my dagger in my hand, looking out. My eyes furrowed in confusion as I saw a man laying down, a wolf overtop him. My eyes widened and I ran out, making screaming noises at the wolf. "D-Don't hurt him!" I screamed, my eyes as big as saucers.

I hear shouting behind me and I jump around, startled, with my teeth bared. Wo-wo. What is that thing. It was man with long hair and a small body. Wo-man? No that coudn't be it. I bark at the small man, turning my back on man. Small man said something but I wasn't listening. I stay back as small man runs at me, holding my stance.

"What would need that? You....." I searched for the correct word. "You know I saying. I talk good enough." I raised my head, and watched him folding what looked like a blanket. I wasn't familiar with this strange mechanism. I flapped down to watch better.

"Yeah but it would help us understand each other better." He took down the tent and put away his dagger."I guess it wouldn't matter...Since I'm taking off to the next town."

I looked over to the man, and then to the wolf. "D-Di- Is he dead?" I exclaimed, my eyes starting to tear up. I slowly walk over to the man, keeping my distance from the wolf. I check the man's pulse and sigh in relief. "Y-You didn't kill him. A-Are you friendly?" I asked, slowly putting my hand out to the wolf.

I cock my head to the side as small man touches man, what was small man doing? Man is friend. I think man may be friend. My brown eyes look at the hand of the small man. I lick the hand and look up at the blue eyes of small man to to see small mans reaction.