The Blood-Stained Rivers of a Dying World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh god her face just got so red "Uh, hi." Oh... She said she found fruit! How awesome can this day get?! "Fruit?! Really? I can't remember the last time I had some of that, its been so long!" Oh yeah, I still need a shirt. Wait, was she checking me out? She was so checking me out! "Were you really just checking me out? Really?" He said indirectly as he walked off to go get a shirt. "So, what is on the agenda today? I think we could move some of the stuff off of the road, probably scout the area. Build a perimeter possibly."

He walked in the other room. "Oh, I know what we could do today! We could to laundry! I'm so damn tired of walking around in these crappy clothes. Ugh." He sat down next to her on the bed. "Did you grab plates and the like? I'm sure your friend Mr. Whiskers over there would like some of this too." he said sardonically.

"Checking… what?" she called from the other room, the innocence practically bleeding from her words. "A-Anywho… darn, no. I forgot plates. The sink was acting up and that rat was still there. I booked it." she felt pathetic admitting her paranoia, but she felt more trusting of the man in the other room. A surprisingly harsh and heavy weight had lifted from her shoulders that morning. It was the burden of being a loner, a straggler, and a survivor of horrors. She felt almost… normal.

Normal? No… far from it. But… better… yes.

Better.

A smile played across her face. She turned and picked up her cat plush, sitting down on the childish twin bed and very much fulfilling the part. She left the fruit and water on the nightstand of this room, only now taking the time to fully observe her surroundings. She sat on a metal-framed bed, painted white. A quilt-like white blanket decorated the bed, three pillows at one end. A nightstand stood at one end, with a pink lamp and an electric clock. The wallpaper that covered the room had pastel elephants parading around the room in pinks, blues, and purples. Some stood on balls, and others blew streams of water from their trunks. Much like a circus act. A closet door occupied the wall adjacent to the door into the hall.

Isn't that cute. Rene smiled again. She would've eventually liked to have a child of her own. The very thought of starting a family brought an ache to her heart. Who would ever want to bring life into such a god forsaken place? Sighing, she shut her eyes and hummed a lullaby to her cat. You'll be my child. The thought made her laugh a little. "I suppose all isn't lost. After all, there's fruit." she said to herself. Taking a swig of water, she waited for Jace to hurry up so they could eat.

"You're a horrible liar" he said with a grin, walking out of the room and fixing his shirt "it was so obvious." Stepping into the room he saw a gazing about Rene cuddling her stuffed cat. No plates, bummer. I guess I'll go down and get them. "Ill go grab some plates" he replied. Walking down the stairs and into the kitchen, he rummaged around looking for something to eat with. Forks... forks... forks... spoon? Eh, good enough. But it was just that. Just the spoon. Remembering the rat, he picked up a candle and flung the flattened rodent out the window. That oughta take care of that. Man, I'm starving.

Jace began to walk out of the kitchen, and suddenly he realized the box thing was still there. Snatching it up he walked upstairs. "Well, I have good news. I found a spoon!" holding up the spoon, almost as a trophy. "And this neat box!" he tossed the box onto the bed and walked over to the nightstand where the jar of preserved mystery-fruit sat. Unscrewing the metal ring from the jar, he popped off the cap. "Good lord, that smells awful!" taking out a spoonful and waving it around in front of Rene's face. "Just kidding, this is going to be great. Open up, you get the first bite" he said, a devilish smile crossing his face.

"POISON!" Rene blurted, reeling away from the spoon faster than humanly possible. She shook her head multiple times, all the while sputtering nonsense, "Y'see, I could be allergic to it, I'm allergic to a lot of fruit and I think you should definitely try it first so I know what it is and if it's safe to eat it because I could be very sick and that bad and…" she turned her wide eyes toward Jace, still shaking her head. "You deserve it more. You did most of the work. Go on" she pleaded. Her cheeks took on a now familiar cherry red tint as she shifted her balance from foot to foot after bounding off the bed.

"Actually, I'm really thirsty!" the brunette laughed, grabbing the water and gulping it down. Anything to excuse herself from such a… a… romantic? situation. Realizing she was once more being stared at, she plopped down on the bed once more, taking a pillow to cover up her blush. And to guard my mouth. Feebly, she added "I'm allergic to some spoons too."

Oh my god she's turning red again, oh man this is great. "Ha, poison? How original, are you allergic to air too?" he commented back, chuckling. "I guess I could try it." and he put the spoon in his mouth, over time it aged well. It was almost the constancy of applesauce now. But the flavors, cinnamon, apples, almonds. An odd combination, but man was it good. His eyes widened. "Holy crap. Rene. You. Have. To try this. Its like applesauce with almonds and..." he lost all train of thought as he sat on the bed and laid back.

Reaching over and grabbing the pillow from his clearly embarrassed friend, he grabbed another spoonful and held it above her mouth. "C'mon, you've gotta try it."

Rene slowly sat up. Hunger overcame embarrassment, and she felt her stomach growl on cue. Taking the spoon gingerly from the male, she held the contents eye level and examined it carefully. Seeming unable to discern what it truly was, she took a deep breath and let the fruit fill her mouth. Her eyes widened as her taste buds erupted at the foreign and flavorful substance.

"Oh, it's great" she said, beaming and handing the spoon back. "I haven't eaten anything like that in forever! You better share." she also leaned back, resting her head on the soft fabric of the bed. She hadn't been so… carefree… in ages. The constant threat of other people and zombies made her forget what it truly felt like to be at peace, if only for a bit. Smiling, she closed her eyes and sighed contently. "Man, I haven't felt so safe and happy since before the apocalypse. Maybe there is hope…"

"I told you! Oh man, today has been great so far. Lets just hope everything else follows suit." said Jace, his voice lined with giddiness. "While we are here, we should try and figure out this box thing. It's had my interest since we got here." he said, reaching for the mysterious container. "I wonder what would be inside." Looking at the edges he moved it around in his hands, looking for a possible weak point. "You know, it would probably be easier to just bust it open, but I don't want to ruin such a nice box." That statement being made, he began to start turning random faces of the box.

Some of them moved, but he couldn't quite figure out how to completely free them. Maybe it's one of those puzzle box thingies. I hate puzzle boxes. Ugh. Looking at the contraption with discontentment and confusion, he handed it to Rene.

Rene eyed the fruit hungrily, but accepted the box. Placing her ear against it, she shifted it slightly left and right, up and down. Something scraped back and forth. A chill went down her spine as she recalled the distinct cracking of bones that accompanied the squishing of the rat when they first arrived. Carefully, the girl stood up and placed the box on the dresser. She didn't like it, and part of her didn't want to know what was in the box. Or why it was in the fridge… "I think we should best leave that for now", she spoke tentatively. Retrieving the spoon, Rene gulped down a bit more fruit then sat down on the bed, crossing her legs and staring seriously at Jace.

"Now that we have food and gotten to know each other a bit…." she started, looking for words. "…We need… a plan. I don't think any more zombies will be here for a while. I haven't seen one besides yesterday in three days on the road." she bit her lip, concentrating. "But… we both came from the same direction. I'm not sure how close we are to a town otherwise. We'd best spend today preparing. We also need to clear out the well, since its our source of water. I…" she blanched a little, fear taking hold of her. It's like they know we're here… they're coming for us. They know where we are. It's all just a matter of time… Rene glanced at her ally, hopelessness apparent in her visage. "…I mean, do what you want."

A silence filled the room for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
He watched her put the box up to her ear and shake it a bit. She suddenly got pale. Must be the rat that got smashed. Poor lass. "Yeah, me neither. And you're right, we should do something to try and keep them back a bit. We could see if the cars up the road have some gas left in them. We could siphon that out, and go up the road a bit, maybe save it and use it in case we need to bail."

Why did she look so scared all of a sudden? he thought as he grabbed the spare gas can from the back of his truck. Walking toward the other cars he made a mental list of other stuff they could do around the place today. Hm. We could wash clothes, scout the area, see what is in the basement, move cars...
lost in thought, he tripped over a rock in the road. "Gah!" Jace yelped, almost falling to the ground. Quickly regaining he composure he kicked it off the road.

Once again he was back at the cars. "Oh, hello there, old chap." he said to the dead guy who was in the trunk of the sedan he looked in earlier. "Don't mind me, just going to see if you've got any of the good stuff." Am I really talking to a dead guy? Seriously? What would Rene think if she saw me doing this? She's probably think I was crazy. Reaching inside the car, he pulled the lever that opened the gas cover. Unscrewing the cap, he put the hose in. Oh boy, now comes the fun part. He hated the taste of gasoline. Lucky for him, he has done it enough to the point where it is almost an art now. He sucked on the other end of the hose, quickly sticking it in the gas can.

There was some, just not enough. Probably half a gallon at most. A good start nonetheless, but he was lucky enough to get this. He repeated the process for the rest of the cars, and came up with about 2 gallons of fuel. Enough to get them far enough away in case things got hectic. He liked contingency plans. They made him feel safe. Fuel in hand, he started walking back toward the house...

Status
Not open for further replies.