The Bilge Rats - Prologue [Shadow of the Demon Lord]

Stavros

"A stakeout of the orphanage might be a good place to start."

Merry

Merry claps Stavros on the shoulder companionably. "You know, that is an idea, and honestly that sounds incredibly boring and awful, so thank you for doing it. Meanwhile I think I'll totter over to the Orphanage and have a chat with the babyherders. Someone knows something, and people like telling me things! Would anyone like to come?"

Reactions: Sarky
Whisper:

This all moved very quickly. Whisper was uncomfortable with the idea of working closely with anyone, but he couldn't think of a better way to raise funds quickly.

He was not, however, going to wander about raising suspicion in broad daylight. Being seen with an elf from the Continent would cause gossip enough, never mind when he started interrogating the children, probably with thumbscrews and all if half the stories he'd heard about Rûl were true.

"I have some appointments to keep in my shop, I must head back once this... Deputising? Is official. But we should meet before patrolling, share anything we've learned. Perhaps there might be a map of the district in your cartographer's emporium we could make use of."

Reactions: Sideris
Stavros

Apparently it had not crossed the elf's mind that one of the "babyherders" might be their culprit... but then, that might be useful. He could keep an eye on Merry's marks; any odd behavior might be of interest. "Very well. Though I think it might be of use to know one another's names." He gestures to himself. "Stavros."

Rustbucket

"Rustbucket, dread captain of the Steamed Clam. Yeh'll have heard of me."

He tips the battered tricorn, elbow hinges sparking slightly.

• Thank You
Whisper:

Whisper glanced at his new companions. Stavros appeared to be human, and might get suspicious, but a stranger to Freeport might be more amenable to a half-dead colleague. The others, well, locals yes but non-humans had different perspectives to human law. There was no way the elf hadn't killed someone in cold blood at some point in his centuries. His serpent-man partner, well, his people were rare enough that it should slide. And a 300 pound mechanical ape wearing a hat and fake beard? Nobody would believe anything he said. Yes, this could work.

He gave them all a little wave.

"Folk around Drac's End call me Whisper. The ones coming to me for leather-work, anyway."

Merry Hemlock

Merry bows deeply at the waist. "We have many maps, and they're all useful. Whether they're immediately useful to you is a matter of debate and discovery. As for my name, you know it, and I know you've all heard of me. As a cautionary tale at your mother's knee, no doubt. And yes, she was right about me." He winks conspiratorially. " Though she probably hasn't told you all she knows of my ways."

@DarckRedd

You're certain the elf has never been to Zaragoum, but who knows what torrid secrets lie in your family's faded past!?

...Likely not an elf named Merry.

Reactions: Sarky
Stavros

Perhaps, but he has no desire to live in the woods, wipe his arse with a pinecone, or deliver cryptic, unhelpful prophecies to bored mortals.

Blackclaw

"Blackclaw, at your sservissse," he introduces himself with a bob of the head and a slight flaring of his hood. "I would accompany Merry mysself, but the warm peoplesss sseem to get nervousss around me." He locks eyes with Whisper, neck snapping out, tongue flicking. He blinks a moment, surprised, before continuing. "You're local, Whisssper, no? Why don't you head over with him while I get our new college sssettled?" He lays a hand on Stavros' shoulder.

Reactions: Sideris and Sarky
Merry

Merry nods enthusiastically. "It's true, sadly. Blackclaw has such a hard time dealing with humans. They're a superstitious, credulous, and honestly thoroughly disagreeable race. Though I'm sure you're both perfectly adequate company." He treats Stavros and Blackclaw to a winning smile.

"It's best if I go with Whisper. I'm much less intimidating than my serpentine associate, and besides, we can talk shop about leatherworking! I'm a keen dabbler in experimenting with new hides, you know! We should stop by the shop so I can get my bow though. Just in case. And I think I have some lozenges lying around somewhere for that frog in your throat, Whisper. You sound absolutely ghastly, and it'll scare the anklebiters. Shall we?"

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Sarky and Hair
Whisper:

Well, fuck.
Under his scarf Whisper's mouth drew into a thin line. He said nothing, but nodded in agreement.

I'll be adding SO many iron buckles to my clothing tonight.

Rustbucket

Oh great. The snake and the elf. DELIGHTFUL. Just what we need right now, a bit of WHIMSICAL MURDER.

Actually, whimsical murder sounds kinda fun.

He gives the snake a nod before turning back to Stavros.
"Don't yeh worry laddie, we'll take good care of yeh."

Reactions: Chaka
Stavros

The newcomer looks between the hissing snakeman and the mechanical peg-legged orangutan that just promised to 'take good care of yeh.'

"Thank you for your kindness. I feel entirely reassured."

He has made terrible decisions.

Merry

Merry winks at Stavros. "Humans are such awful liars. Anyway, we're wasting time. With your permission, Oh Captain my Captain," he salutes floridly at the watchman here - "we'll just toddle off and sort this serial killer problem. Blackclaw! Let's take our new friends back to the shop so we can gear up. I hear those street rats can be vicious, and I may have to shoot the murderer or some other unsavoury type like a cutpurse or a nun or something."

He gives the watchman a friendly wave and begins down the street back towards the shop, not stopping to look if anyone else is following.

@Ragoza @DarckRedd @Sarky @Hair

There goes your hero.

The Sergeant sighs. "Elves." Takes in the rest of you with a wary eye. "Look, I merely ask you not kill bystanders or burn the Orphanage to the earth, please. Or the entire district for that matter. Gods save me." He about faces and barks orders for his men to tarp and remove the body—stretcherbearers have arrived.

@Chaka

The air stinks of salt both seaborne and human already. Market livestock stare dully from their roughhewn pens. Just a few blocks and an alley back to the store.

Through the early market crowds you glimpse a vaguely familiar face which brightens upon seeing yours. Pale, sharp features with a hooked nose like a siege engine—representative of a former customer, some shipping concern or other. "I say, Master Hemlock! Master Hemlock!"

Merry

Merry stops, allowing the face to approach. "Hello! It's a bit of an inopportune moment..."

@Chaka

"Quite so! I don't have much time myself. My clients, Salazar and Captain Braithwaite, were extremely pleased with the nuance of your map. The penmanship of your co-creator and the artistry were surprisingly accurate in avoiding some shoals that never appeared on maps from the Pilots. Their compliments. Very lucrative cargo has made it to port thanks to you."

Doffs his grand hat made in the Pruuleen fashion and makes way quickly through the crowd, whistling an old tune.

Merry

Another satisfied customer. Merry holds his head high as he walks through the crowd, ego suitably stroked, and pleased with himself at how magnanimous he was being at letting Blackclaw take some measure of credit with the customers.

Reaching the shop, Merry absently salutes the troll's head as he steps through the door. Whistling to himself in perfect key, he takes down a beautifully maintained shortbow from a shelf over his bed and sets to work stringing it. As he works, chirping harmonies to his melody begin to weave around his notes. He smiles fondly at the songbirds that have flown in through the open door as he throws his cloak back on and slings a quiver over his shoulder. When the others arrive Merry is casually leaning against the doorframe under the menacing giant stone troll's head, a songbird on either shoulder chirping over the din of the docks.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Whisper:

"I'll keep an eye on him" Whisper reassured the sergeant, nodding to the others and setting off after Merry. He took a moment to duck into a random metal worker's stall and buy an iron dagger, stowing it in a pocket before continuing on. He'd fashion a sheathed and strap himself later.

The shop was easy to recognise, at least, with its ugly stone head looming over the door. And of course the elf standing outside, with... Of course, with birds happily perched on him like some woodcutting of a devotee of the old gods of nature.

Whisper nodded. "Master Hemlock." He considered warning the elf about walking into an orphanage fully armed, but decided that it would be best for him to command as much attention as possible.