The Big Bang is Bullshit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Abandon-thread1.gif

And thus all people began running into the great hole, idiotic and naive. Their mass culminated into one great black hole which absorbed the universe into an infinite mass and eventually exploded resulting in the universe which spawned this thread.

Theory proven.
Illuminati confirmed.
Wait. What?

I JUST WANT TO PLAY SIMS AND HAVE A NICE VACATION. ;__; IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK?

ALSO, I saw that science report on the Facebooks. O_O I thought that was an interesting new theory. The universe goes on forever and ever and ever? It's way too much for any person to comprehend.

Reactions: PureKor
You're all wrong

The universe was spat out by a giant turtle that is currently carrying it on its shell

Reactions: Jorick
This thread is pretty cute. I'll just interrupt the shenanigans for a moment to respond to something...
On that note, I think my deeply rooted insecurities with the BBT have come mostly from an incomplete understanding of it, especially with the idea that it posits a definite start but no end. It seems to be a case of something Wigner discussed, the "Unreasonable Effectiveness of Mathematics in the Sciences".

For example, here's a holistic argument for its flaws. In the big bang theory, space itself must have stopped expanding all over the sphere in a completely uniform manner.

But what happens if quantum uncertainty stops a pocket of space from expanding as fast? It is pinched off into a bubble on all sides. Inside, space keeps expanding. A universe is born.

The big bang theory, in principle, predicts that an infinite amount of universes are formed. And inside them, everything that can happen happens. The big bang theory predicts everything, and therefore nothing.

I'm bracing myself for a physicist to correct me. (I would love for that to happen, by the way)
I'm no physicist, but I've got enough of a working grasp on the theory to be able to answer some of this.

The BBT does lack a definite end point, but that doesn't really mean much because it actually doesn't give a definite start either; it doesn't actually explain where the universe started, it just says "first there was everything in one infinitesimal point, then it expanded." Just as it does not pretend to be able to explain where everything came from, it also doesn't pretend to know for certain where everything will end up. However, there have been a lot of attempts at end times explanations that use its information without officially becoming part of the theory. The most popular one is the heat death of the universe, which says that the universe will keep on expanding and entropy will keep on increasing to the point that the energy in the universe is spread so thin that nothing much happens. And then it'll keep on expanding and spread the energy even thinner. Not much of an end in the way of "everything explodes or disappears," but it would be a definite end as far as living things and thermodynamic processes of all kinds are concerned.

The universe didn't expand in a uniform matter, or it's not currently doing so at least. I don't think the Big Bang Theory ever proposed a sphere either, but I could be wrong. Back in 2008 some researchers found that things seem to be expanding in a non-uniform manner, and from what I can find it seems like this has been confirmed and accepted at large. Scientists also don't think it's spherical in shape. There are all sorts of theories, but the most popular one is that it's sort of flat (relatively thin from "top" to "bottom" but expanding infinitely out to the "sides" like some kind of cosmic pancake). A couple other shapes that fit the current observations are a dodecahedron or some sort of horn thing. I won't even pretend to understand the complex math that explains why those shapes are the most plausible ones.

As for other universes, eh, there are plenty of hypotheses out there that suggest as much. Big names in science ranging from Stephen Hawking to Neil deGrasse Tyson support various versions of such ideas. The only problem is that such things are, as far as we can tell, not falsifiable and therefore not really scientific notions. The Big Bang Theory does not actually predict anything of the sort, by the way; it simply seeks to explain what went down and is still going down in our universe. No part of it says "there absolutely are other universes" because it's strictly concerned with this one. Multiverse hypotheses do nothing to discredit the Big Bang Theory because they're tangential side things, not part of the main attraction. It has proven predictive power, the big case being the prediction of cosmic microwave background radiation a few decades before it was discovered. It doesn't predict everything, but what it does predict has been pretty spot on, which is why it's currently the best model of how the universe got from point A to now and what is likely to happen in the future on the large scale. It could always get dethroned, but I don't think multiverse shenanigans will be the cause.

Okay, now back to the regularly scheduled nonsense, I suppose.

I genuinely believed you meant the show oops

But seriously, for me personally, these things don't matter terribly. I have other things to worry over and think of than how the world came to exist however many years ago. At least I think so. Not to bash the profession of course, it simply isn't very interesting to me or worth fussing over for more than about 30 seconds.

Carry on.

No point in attempting to comprehend infinity. It's like trying to masturbate with no lubricant in the desert and your hands are covered in sand. It's really hard to do.

You're all wrong

The universe was spat out by a giant turtle that is currently carrying it on its shell
Don't you mean supported on the back of four giant elephants riding on the giant sea-turtle's shell as it carries them through the void of space?

flat-world_discworld_194.png

Nononononono.
Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

Everything everyone does creates a universe. You sneeze? A couple infinite universes are created. You sit down? A couple infinite more universes are made.
Now do you know why God never answers your prayers?
It's because our God isn't even a part of our existential plane.

You type?
You are.
You sneeze?
You are.

In conclusion.
WE ARE GOD.
WE ARE LEGION.​

Reactions: K3l
Nononononono.
Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

Everything everyone does creates a universe. You sneeze? A couple infinite universes are created. You sit down? A couple infinite more universes are made.
Now do you know why God never answers your prayers?
It's because our God isn't even a part of our existential plane.

You type?
You are.
You sneeze?
You are.

In conclusion.
WE ARE GOD.
WE ARE LEGION.​

cool-gif-this-is-amazing-mind-blown.gif

Hmm.

Ok.

Say all living things are just one thing undergoing different changes simultaneously.

In that case would it not lean towards a collective [un]consciousness?
:D

So what? Is it subverted?

GOD AM I?!
LEGION I AM?!

EW ERA DOG?!
EW ERA NOIGEL?!

Now, I originally came here to talk about how much I hate the Big Bang Theory, but I'm just going to throw out my opinion on all this and leave before I get caught up in this chaos.

The new theory is just a theory just like the big bang theory and just a theory just don't mean jack shit to me, son.

And I don't see what this god fellow has to do with anything.

Now that's an interesting image, the big bang was actually an explosion from methane produced by a huge amount of bovine excrement.

Quite possibly, and the thing is, that currently couldn't be proven wrong.
(I exploit that.)

Well... Aside from the bashing of those who believe the Big Bang Theory, I find that kind of interesting.

The thing is though, it's just a theory, it's not fact, it's the most widely accepted theory but there's no way to prove it. Just like how there's no way to prove this new theory either. We can't actually observer how it happened and know for sure. Though I'm interested to see how this new theory explains the expansion and white noise observed in the universe. I'll probably find a magazine with a article about it somewhere though.

Status
Not open for further replies.