The best way(s) to remove the rust?

B

Blacksynth

Original poster
It's been about a decade since I've done anything remotely serious in role-playing. Such a hiatus has really atrophied my creative muscle. I mean I can work up some ideas, plots, or characters in my head, but for some reason I just hit a wall that makes it seem impossible to climb over. Just lots of frustration and waiting for the dial-up sound in my head to connect to some kind of logical epiphany. So as to the title in question, what ways do you think work best in filing off all the gunk that's built up over time?

Also, are there any writing contests or something similar held on the site? I feel that might be one thing that would help.

I've heard coke and aluminium foil works pretty well...

But more seriously, you just need to get right back in the saddle. Yes, the first few things you write may not be beautiful or wonderful, so perhaps consider joining a slower-paced group roleplay. One that only requires you to post once or twice a week. Or, if one on ones are more your style, find a partner who is patient but willing to push your limits creatively. It's amazing what surrounding yourself with good writers can do. :D I do it all the time. I can comfortably acknowledge most of my roleplay buddies are much better than me and that has, in turn, made me a better writer.

That being said, there is an ongoing writing competition right now!: SPECIAL EVENT - The Miscellaneous Iwaku Storytelling Contest: January

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: Blacksynth
There are writing contests yes! You can find out more about them in the Announcements section of the forum! I don't know if there's one being held right now, but we have been told there may be more in the future! :)

Reactions: Grimmdom
I like to refer people to Refining Writing as a way to get back into the swing of writing out scenes and Vendethiel linked you to it already. It's a low-pressure place full of all kinds of writing prompts that you can just work on trying to flex the creative muscle for without worrying about creating a full plot or making someone wait for posts while you work on it.

Another idea is to feel around and find a roleplay partner that you feel somewhat comfortable with and can work on things. While a slower pace might help you to avoid stress, setting up a certain accountability with someone that you feel comfortable with might help too. Say that you both agree to post at least once a week, it gives you a goal to work toward. And if you hit some issue with meeting that, you can talk it through with the person and maybe even get some inspiration from it.

If you want weekly exercises, check out my Writing Explorations exercises in the Refining Writing section other people mentioned!

Besides that, just get started. Everything is going to be poop, but the great thing about writing is this: you can polish that turd and make it gleam. You can turn it into a golden turd through the magical alchemy of continued effort.

Lots of others already chimed in with some really great advice. Do check out the 'Refining Writing' section. Do check out the monthly competitions.

As for my own little plug, I'm of the thought that the best way to get into/back into writing is simply to start. In the beginning, it's going to suck if you stopped for a good amount of time. Shut off the self-editor and keep on trucking. Your first few posts/works may feel rotten and difficult for you to put out, but the more you do it, the easier it'll become. Writing's like any other muscle. It gets easier as you train it up, in a manner of speaking.

Oh. Writer's block is a myth. Just my two cents.