The Bedlam Academy

"A friend of mine got me into it," he shrugged. "Used to harp at me all the time when I came near him with a smoke while he was reading. I guess it stuck." Axel looked for another book to flip through and plucked it off the shelf. "I guess it was a plus that I could pretend to study without setting the pages on fire, too."

Summer glares at her sister. "Please don't touch me. Oh. I got an idea. You get a boyfriend." She gasps then laughs. "Oops sorry. Forgot that you can't handle romance."

Sinclair looked up at the conversing people as she busily plucked shards of glass from the injured girl's arm, smothering the wound in antibiotic cream and then wrapping it up soon afterwards. She smiled at them and nodded towards the books.

"I personally like books like Pride and Prejudice and Jane Eyre. That old English is fun to read," she commented with a happy grin.

Lyle was carried into the library with a stray jacket and a muzzle on. The boy was only about 14 but was handled like a criminal. The people who carried him sat him in a seat and threw a book his way. They opened the page and left the room. Lyle scanned it and sighed. "Fucking Dictionary..." The boy sucked his teeth and skimmed the words.

Black curls whipped around at the sound of shuffling, Sinclair's eyes focusing on the restrained boy the orderlies had forced into the library and sat in a seat. Her eyes strayed down to the book in front of him before they narrowed humorlessly.

"A dictionary? Really?" she mumbled to herself before getting up and walking over to him.

She studied the muzzle on his face and shook her head, "This seems a bit much."

She then took out the pick that she had stashed in her hair and jimmied the lock until it clicked and the muzzle fell from his face.

"Does that feel a little better?" she asked him kindly, analyzing his straight jacket and noting all the extra locks and buckles and snares.

Summer looks over to Lyle. "I can get that jacket off but I may shock you a bit."

"I read the dictionary once," Axel commented idly. "Let's just say that there is no end to revised editions."

He shuddered and slid the book back onto the shelf. He reached out with his braid and snatched the dictionary away. "I refuse to let anyone else suffer like that." He then walked over to stand next to Sinclair.

"It's been a while since I'd completely killed a straitjacket," he mused. He looked back at Summer and then at Sinclair. "I think I should take the merciful route and do this myself lest she kill her with that...Kiss of Death, you call it?"

"Be my guest," Sinclair offered with a smile, gesturing to the restrained boy and looking teasingly at Summer, "I only call her the Kiss of Death because she told us that the very first boy she kissed died because she touched him."

She looked at the complicated jacket and whistles impressively, "They got you locked in there tight, my friend. What on Earth did you do to have this happen to you?"

Axel took the opportunity and removed the tie from the end of his hair. Each lock was impressed upon by a separate set of clumps, some strands snaking underneath to get a good grip. He glanced up at the boy.

"Don't move."

In an instant, the entire body of hair wove inside and out of the strait jacket. Sharpening the edges, he tore the jacket apart, containing the noise and the pieces within the dome of hair. He removed them, the hair turning into fists and resting the decimated jacket into an out-of-the-way corner.

He seemed to want to do something more, but he shrugged. "Would have set it on fire just for show, but nah. Next time," he grinned.

Lyle was shocked at how everyone wanted to help him. He thanked the girl who released his muzzle. He then rotated his jaw exercising the muscle. He felt his fangs scrape the roof of his mouth. He panicked when the girl suggested how to destroy the jacket, but warned him about shock.

"No!! I mean uh no thanks I uh can't risk anything electric. weak heart."

Lyle's mind raced with panic at the thought of electricity. He nodded at the dude who wanted to help. He was amazed at how his hair undid the locks and ties of the jacket. As soon as the jacket was off him Lyle stood up quickly. He looked at the girl who asked him a question. He looked in the eye hungrily.

"Let's just say there's a reason why Guards here wear long sleeves.." Lyle felt his fangs elongate thinking about blood.

Sinclair stared at the boy for a moment, running her fingers through her hair before she giggled and shrugged, "Alright then. Should I be worried too?"

Axel gently pulled Sinclair out of the way and stepped up until he was nose to nose with the boy, staring him deep into his eyes. He watched the dilated pupils. He brought up a single thin strand of hair and hardened it, letting the light from the window bounce off it into the other's eye.

The pupils remained dilated.

"You're half dead," he concluded. "I'm sure you're not concussed because your speech is just fine."

Sinclair peered around from behind Axel, staring up at the released boy's face, "Do you mean dead as in zombie or dead as in vampire? Or dead as in ghost?"

"I'd take a wild guess and say Vampire," Axel commented. "An extremely hungry one. Which explains the muzzle."

Axel used his hair as extra legs and moved quickly to the window. "We need to get him to the Medic Bay and raid the blood bank that they have here if any of us is going to survive." Axel made his way back over to the others, assuming his position between the two again. "At least he's controlled himself well."

"Is that why they restrained you with the muzzle?" Sinclair asked as she looked at the boy again, "I'm all down for raiding the Medic Room if that's what we need to do, but I think a few of us should stay here so we don't attract too much attention."

She looked up at Axel with a grin, "I don't have any super super powers like the rest of you, so I hope you don't mind a regular chick tagging along. I'm not completely useless, though, just that in mind."

Her eyes turned a lime green in her excitement, giving away her emotions.

Red had been annoyed at Summer's remark- she had long disregarded Summer's warnings. But she had decided to bury her self in Jack Kerouac's "On the Road." Finally after the boy had been released, she finally tuned into the world and the hairs on the back of her neck instantly stood up. She stood and took a look at the commotion.

It was him. She strode up to Lyle and hugged him. "Thank god you're okay. I saw what they did to you."

She looked at the others while they protested and stated: "Yeah, I know who he is. I'm not an idiot," and kept hugging him a moment longer.

Sinclair exchanged a small look with Axel then shrugged as she faced the other two once more, "Hey, do what you're going to do. Don't let us stop you."

She then bent down to pick up the torn pieces of the boy's straight jacket, looking again at all the buckles and snares and locks on it. The orderlies really went all out to keep him restrained, obviously being stupid enough to think they wouldn't try to let him out once they left him alone. From the way the locks were made, it was supposed to be virtually impossible to let him out without the proper keys...then again, they were in an academy made for kids that were able to achieve the impossible.

"How the hell did they even get him in this thing?" she asked no one in particular.

Summer pulls her sister away from the boy. "Sis, he's a vampire and a extremly hungry one at that. Oh, sorry if I shocked you."

Kiyra tries to relax a vampire... I better watch myself, after the last time... she looks at the boy then at her bandaged hand.

"Summer you could have killed him! And I knowwwwwww. I just can't help it. I saw the pain they put him through and, and it just is sad."

Red looked back at Lyle and said "You are hungry- the one thing I can't figure out is why they didn't give you blood bags from the Red Cross. It's like it's blocked or something? I have a feeling that we need to get Kyira out and you too. We are really testing your patience aren't we?"