The Battle for Land and Sea (Rebornfan120 and artisticheart)

"I appreciate this very much, kids," Birch said with a smile. "And please, call me Birch!"

"Oh, well, all right!" Callie said with a smile. The torchic began pecking a bit at her shoe and she jumped. "Hey, careful!"

"Ahh don't worry, she just took a liking to you. She's a curious one!" Birch said.

Callie put the torchic back in her pokeball and nodded. "Eheh, if you say so, Birch!"

Birch only grinned and straightened his lab coat. "Now let's get y'all back to the lab so we can have a look at the pokemon!"

"Alright then!" Brendan said with a nod. "Birch it is then." He said before seeing the Mudkip watch torchic peck at her foot and he headbutted on his foot.
"Hey careful little guy." He said lightly protesting at this.

"Don't worry, they are curious at the level they are."

Brendan nodded putting Mudkip back in his pokeball and following Callie and Birch back to the lab to take a look at the pokemon.

Once at the lab, Birch took his satchel off and tossed it in his chair. The notepad was tossed onto the messy stack of papers on his desk. It was a wonder how things got done around the lab but it was efficient for him.

"Now, let's see these pokemon!" Birch said as he leaned against the desk.

"Oh, well, okay!" Callie said. She pulled out the pokeball and out came the torchic once more. She looked around the room, then began to stare at Callie. With a chirp, the fire bird hopped onto Callie's feet, standing on them and tweeting happily at her.

Now at the lab seeing how it was not organized at all unsettled Brendan, he was generally used to having things neater than this while he would look at it before hearing Birch's proclamation of the pokemon and he nodded.
"Alright." He said in response to this pulling it out and he would see the mudkip once more, Brendan saw the torchic look before seeing it hop onto her feet as he sighed. Sure Torchic was one pokemon he did want but turned to the mudkip seeing it more curious about him before running around him despite Brendan's thoughts it would go after the Torchic.

"Tor?" the torchic tilted her head quickly as it stared at the mudkip. She tried to peck at it curiously as she tweeted.

"Aww now, don't hurt the mudkip," Callie gently scolded as she pushed Torchic away. Callie yelped when Torchic began to peck her instead. "Hey! That's not nice!"

The torchic only tweeted happily, completely oblivious. Birch only laughed at the sight of the two pokemon and their soon-to-be trainers.

"I should've known when the two of you were battling that those pokemon would begin to love you. You two are starting a bit late in becoming trainers aren't you?"

Callie nodded as she picked up Torchic. She would give affectionate scritches to the pokemon as she spoke. "Yeah, my mom didn't want me to begin traveling until after I finished schooling."

Birch nodded. "I see," he replied. He then turned to Brendan. "And you, what's your story?"

"Kip." The Mudkip protested in defense before trying to defend itself first with a tackle but was stopped by Brendan's foot and he looked at him.

"Hey now, that's not nice." He said to it as the Mudkip looked unaware of right and wrong at this point, though the Mudkip did look calm and somewhat neutral now.

"Yeah, well my mother didn't want me to be a trainer at all, until her mother convinced her otherwise that I had a knack for this in her case even though she proclaimed me as special for whatever reason." Brendan explained with a shrug. "And school was a reason also."

"I see I see..." Birch said. He then grinned and nodded. "Well, I see now that you both are far overdue for having a pokemon companion. What's say I let you have these two pokemon?"

Callie gasped. "N-No way, really?"

"I insist!" Birch said with a hearty laugh. "I mean, look at them! They adore you all!"

As if on cue, the torchic began nuzzling up to Callie's hand, the pecking now softer and more affectionate. Callie could have melted on the spot at her cute gesture.

Brendan also melted in the heart seeing the torchic react the way it did to her while he smiled at her until feeling a bump in his chest from Mudkip jumping in a fashion of tackling as he looked at him.
"Well they are young." Brendan commented while he was surprised Birch was letting him have the two while he looked at Callie happy though this he would make the best of.

"You all deserve it!" Birch said happily. "And if a professor can help a budding trainer on their way, he's doing his job!"

"We appreciate this very much, Birch. Thank you so much!" Callie said happily. The torchic tweeted happily as well, and Callie went back to nuzzling the fire bird. Callie took a glance to Brendan and Mudkip, and then had a thought.

"Hey Brendan," Callie began. "What're you gonna name your mudkip?"

Brendan looked over at Callie and he thought about it. "Hmm...I didn't have a name thought up for him yet." Brendan explained as he looked at her before turning his attention over to Birch.
"I appreciate it Birch! Thanks a lot." He said wanting to make the best of this even though the pokemon did not quite workout in his favor.

Birch smiled. He then heard a tweet from the torchic, and turned to it and Callie. He watched as the torchic squirmed out of Callie's grasp and over to Brendan. It hopped onto Brendan's feet and then began hopping in place on his shoes.

"I think Torchic really likes doing that, haha!" Callie grinned.

Brendan looked at Torchic while he looked at her while he was unsure of Torchic's behavior, between this and a curious Mudkip that was going to get a tackle pounce ready he looked at Torchic hopping on his foot.
"That or it's trying to do something." He said puzzled.

"Maybe it wants you to pick it up?" Birch said as he leaned back to watch. By this time some other professors working around the lab started watching the torchic's behavior, finding it cute.

The torchic jumped all the more and tweeted persistently, like a whining child. Callie laughed and moved closer to move Mudkip out of the way. "Now now, no need to be so defensive!"

Brendan chuckled and he would pick up Torchic while he found the behavior cute while seeing it jump and tweet even more like a child wanting something from it's parent as he looked at Callie who moved Mudkip out of the way with it's attempted tackle stopped.
"Why are they fighting so much?" He asked.

"I know right?" Callie agreed. She stooped down to scratch the mudkip under its chin. "That torchic did nothing to you, Mudkip!" she gently scolded.

One professor peered from behind his desk and shrugged. "Maybe it just plays roughly. Some of the pokemon here act like that sometimes," he said.

"You're right," Birch responded. He then tilted his head and hummed, pondering in his mind. "Or the mudkip may even be...jealous?"

To Brendan, the Mudkip did not act jealous. To him it seemed more of the curious type before jumping into the behaviors it did, that or it was happy to be out of the pokeball one of the two made sense to him.
Seeing Mudkip accept Callie's scratch as it smile and Brendan petted the Torchic though sometimes looking at Mudkip.
"Jealous? I don't think so, more of quirky." He said.

"Huh, you got a good eye!" Birch said with a nod.

He stretched a bit, then looked at the clock on the wall. It read 4:18 PM. There was still plenty of daylight left for the trainers to do whatever they wanted, and a little bit more time before the lab closed up for the day.

"Well, kids," Birch began. "It doesn't seem like you need anything from me now...actually, wait a minute!"

Birch snapped his fingers and ran to his desk. He pulled out two red devices and passed them on to Callie and Brendan. "You know what these are?" he asked with a grin.

"Its a pokedex!" Callie blurted out happily. Immediately she began looking through it, playing around with its features. "My dad has one!"

"Yes ma'am! You're going to need these while you travel the Hoenn region," Birch said. "Now, don't hesitate to call me too, when you start seeing new pokemon and catching them... speaking of catching..."

Birch reached into his desk one more time, and then turned around to face the children with a big grin. In each hand there was a small bag filled with ten unused pokeballs each.

"Thought I'd help you get started!"

Brendan was not used to the compliment so he took it shyly while looking at him. Seeing the time as 4:18 PM he knew him and Callie had plenty of time while he saw Birch frantically moving and soon saw the pokedex.
"A pokedex! I read about them." Brendan said while he would look at his while he checked his out and he saw the ten unused pokeballs.
"That's great! Ten to get started." He said through Birch he figured he would have asked which one pokemon they were taking but for now he kept his mouth shut.

"We can't thank you enough Professor!" Callie exclaimed. Birch raised an eyebrow with a grin, and Callie corrected herself. "Oh-- Birch!"

He laughed happily and replied, "Anything you need, I'll be right here in Littleroot! You know, unless I'm traveling," he said with a grin. "In which you call me anytime on that Pokenav of yours! Now go on, I'm sure your parents are eager to see those new pokemon!"

"Absolutely! Well then, come on lil' Torchic!" Callie called to the pokemon.

The torchic stared at Callie, then turned away to bury its face into Brendan's chest. "Tor!" it protested.

"Orrrr not! Okay!" Callie said awkwardly.

Brendan didn't expect Torchic burying it's face into his chest which now with a jumping Mudkip on his shoulders he looked at them after getting the information from Professor Birch and then Callie at the door.
"Oh why me?" Brendan protested while it seemed both pokemon were fighting over Brendan instead of Callie.