The Bard and His Demons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jade just listened as Agabiro read over the information that he already knew. He busied himself with rubbing off a bit of dirt from his finger nails. "No, she'd genuinely that young." He added about the wife. Jade was indifferent to the way the demon spoke. Talk of feasting upon children didn't phase him at all in fact. He reacted as though they were talking the weather, no remorse. "Oh I get a bonus if she dies too... Just saying. Not a requirement of course." He added again before he replied.

"I never meet my clients in person. Nor do they know who's taking their contract. But I do know who they are." Jade reached over Agabiro to flip a few pages to show the slimy lawyers past, more specifically the lawyers ex-wife. "Love can be the seed to damnation it seems... Or the nail in the coffin as it were... It would seem he caught his ex-wife in the company of someone else. Which broke the contract of their alimony. She lost everything." Jade recoiled back into his space as he looked at Agabiro. "Of course she claims she was set up. And interestingly enough, our lawyer met his current wife only one month after the divorce was finalized and married her the next. In any case he can't be killed by normal hit man as it were because he is employed by very powerful men. Whom would most likely retaliate against my client if he were killed by normal means."

The car drove on in the night, though the lights of the city made it much brighter. Jade glanced over as a police car drove by, it's light flashing obnoxiously as it spend past. "I am hoping to get the deed done tonight but it might have to wait till tomorrow. All depends on when he gets home. Or you can see him out I suppose."

Agabiro could hardly repress a suitably diabolic laughter, and only did so because he expected the driver would then steer the car into the nearest lamppost. It was every bit of the delightfully sinful drama that he liked so much to see when he visited the mortal realm. Everyone so insincere, so immoral, so ripe for the taking. He was definitely going to enjoy this assignment. And plotting with Jade was a pleasure, the Asralie was just as callously evil as one could hope.
"I should really kill all three of them, the man, the wife and the ex-wife. Just out of a sense of symmetry, you understand. Ah, but worry not, I shall leave your client alive... at least until she pays up and becomes a target too one day. You know these are the times when I wonder if they know they are making Earth an outpost of Hell... We barely need to help. So what would you prefer to make it look like? An accident just isn't theatrical enough for such a gloriously dirty case. A suicide pact? That wouldn't be as easy to believe, given that they are married and neither of them is a hormonal teenager anymore. Murder and suicide? How about the wife finds her husband unfaithful, shoots him and kills herself afterward? That would be wonderfully ironic and a great satisfaction to your customer too. Or we could always go with a case that should be impossible by earthly means, but it might alert the clergy if we aren't in luck. Any of these is easiest to achieve when he is at home. Or I can kill them one by one, the man in a public place where everyone will see that out of nowhere, he just pulls out a gun and shoots himself in the temple. Of course he might not have a gun, but I would kindly lend him one beforehand. And then the wife would be next, but seemingly with no connection between the two. Oh yes, this could be enjoyable, I rather like it. Of course the choice is yours, Maestro."
Even though the target wasn't of his own choice, and he wouldn't get to actually bathe in gore himself, he delighted in the prospect of deceit; and although he was suitably horrifying in himself, he knew not to discredit the effect of a meaningless, unexpected suicide on the human mind. If he could make it seem that this rational person suddenly went mad and decided to kill himself for no visible reason, everyone who hears of it would be afraid for a moment. Because it can happen to anyone. And what could be a better diversion than convincing humans that their minds are unstable? Why, he was almost doing them a favour, because it really could happen to them. And as long as Jade was working with him, it certainly would.

This was a nice change for Jade. He normally had to plot out the demise of his targets on his own. Which he felt always lacked a certain flare he felt, and lacked finesse since his previous demons lacked the creative mind which Agabiro most certainly had. It almost made him smile. "Corruption abound." He replied to Agabiro's comment of Earth becoming an outpost for Hell. "Just a stop before they all go home." He mused. He quietly listened to all of Agabiro's options. Weighting them out before he gave his opinion on them.

"Hmm so many choices... Well I don't feel I need to impress the need to stay away from supernatural style elimination. I certainly don't want the clergy taking note." He frowned remembering how close he'd come to being discovered in the past. "Oh and please, spare my client. She dies I don't get paid. And a dead client is also bad for one's reputation." He said looking at Agabiro with seriousness. He crossed his hands over his chest once and again, tapping his finger against his lip. "One by one seems rather... tedious. But the murder then suicide is rather clever. And done so in a public place is brilliant."

He nodded as he looked over to Agabiro again. "I rather like the idea of the newly weds on a date. He pulls a gun, kills her then kills himself. A public killing will clear my client of any involvement and get the job done." He said as a slight devious smile slipped on his face.

Agabiro nodded and flicked out his serpentine tongue repeatedly to lick at his lips. Yes, Jade certainly did have a delicious sense of theatrics. "And all those who believe the ex-wife's version of the story can rest in the smug sense of superiority that comes with seeing divine retribution in action. I sometimes think humans have a difficulty telling divine and infernal apart." He thought for a moment, turning the plan around in his head. "I understand your performance is tonight, which means tonight I can find the mark and have a little tête-à-tête with him. His wife, I believe, does not necessarily need to be... prepared, if it is the man who will hold the gun, but humans can be unpredictable, so I may as well. The actual killing can take place tomorrow evening, in this restaurant," - here he pointed at the file again, indicating the lawyer's favourite dining place - "but neither of us needs to be there, though it could be fun to watch." He leant back contentedly, throwing the end of his tail across his lap. "I wonder if your client wouldn't appreciate an invitation for dinner for the occasion?"

Jade looked over at the folder, looking to where Agabiro pointed. A brilliant plan to use the targets favorite dining establishment. It would be easy to convince him to go and even easier to convince his new wife to attend. Then to those who would try to figure this entanglement out it would seem not out of the ordinary. That is except for the lawyer shooting his new wives brains on the person behind her and then offing himself. The image of someone eating spaghetti near them flittered into his mind, something that amused Jade.

The Asralie had to look up and smile a little as the plan began to form. Agabiro meant to 'prepare' for the killing. This was much more enjoyable. His previous minions just did the deed. There was none of this delicious planning. His eyes grew curiously wide, like a child coming to realize he could have his cake and eat it too. "I... I've never watched the 'deed' be done..." There wasn't fear or disgust but a child like curiosity. The more he thought about it, the more he wanted to see the action. That fatal moment of a persons last moments. "Would it be possible for me to be there?" He said with a hint of excitement in his voice.

The last question made him shake his head. "Mm not possible, although an interesting though. My client doesn't live in this town. Though I like the thought." He added as he milled over the very idea of seeing the murder and 'suicide'.

An amused expression appered on Agabiro's face. Was Jade asking for his permission? Wasn't he supposed to give orders? Not that he minded that at all.
"Of course it's possible, unless every table is reserved. I myself plan to be nearby, just to catch and devour the souls as they depart, but I wasnt planning to be inside." He dragged one long, pointed finger around the roof of the restaurant; the picture was taken at night and it wasn't lit, of course, it would be pointless to light a roof unless it had a landing area on it; so while the level of the street and the doors were bathed in light, he could hover above the roof all the more unseen, as those looking in his direction would be looking from out of the light and thus blind to anything that goes on in the shadows. "But if you want to go, by all means, do. I wouldn't deprive you of seeing the mayhem you caused. We can even meet up afterwards, if there is a darker park somewhere nearby." Not that he was too worried that anyone seeing him in this particular form should suspect a demon; an interstellar tourist, more likely. But being seen together with Jade around tragedy sites too often could change that for both of them.

The thought of seeing the act committed was exhilarating, and anxious excitement started to build. This was a new level of darkness that Jade had never thought to take. Mainly because it was dangerous for him. The longer he milled the thought in his head, the more he wanted to see it happen. But this was a dangerous game, and Jade knew it. If he began to show up or happen to appear at the scenes of crime, someone would catch on. But it couldn't hurt just this one, could it?

"I suppose seeing just one action caused by my will wont endanger myself, or you." He said as he pulled out his phone, texting his assistant. Asking them to make him reservations at the designated restaurant. "We can't make a habit of this but... It does interest me. I've never seen anyone die." His comment seemed so casual, as if he'd said 'I've never seen snow'. Such a casual tone made the driver Ben shift uncomfortably in the driver seat. Something Jade noticed but ignored. "Yes I think it wise to meet up later away from the scene."

"For all the time this Ben has supposedly served you, he isn't precisely used to your methods, is he?" Agabiro shook his head. He found it entertaining, in a way, to have someone relatively innocent around, someone who could be shocked at every turn. But what guaranteed that it wasn't a weakness also? Would Ben prove hesitant if he suddenly had to commit something heinous for Jade? Amusing as it was, Agabiro wasn't sure it was also safe. One's full loyalty cannot lie in two places; either one serves unquestioningly, or one is moral. He hoped Ben had more loyalty to Jade than to his morals.
The hovercar stopped in front of a hotel; Agabiro inwardly judged it busy enough and - from the people passing in and out the doors - diverse enough that he wouldn't draw too many looks. Well, Earth was something of a tourist planet now. Maybe he should get a camera to blend in more. He could take pictures of the interesting things he saw. Famous buildings, statues, all his kills... He snorted at the thought. Not that he would seriously consider something so ridiculous and careless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jade frowned at Ben, glancing at him only a moment before turning to Agabiro. "My path as grown darker as I have walked it. I used to be a nice boy." He said in a cheeky tone as he almost smiled. "But poor Ben is held back by his conscience and morals... He's also not used to hearing me talk about it. Though Jade was speaking about Ben, the Asralie driver knew his place enough not to voice his opinions openly. Especially not with a demon in the car. Jade simply assumed Ben would follow him loyally no matter his own personal choices. Whether or not he'd actually do so remained to be seen.

The hover car rolled to a stop at the fancy hotel where a young man snappily dressed opened the door for the two. Once Agabiro exited the car Jade followed. The demon would only receive only a moments glance from passersby. Earth was a tourist spot, as Agabiro assumed it was, and many aliens passed through the major cities. He looked unique but not so much as to draw more than a glance. "You almost fit in." Jade mused to the demon at his side. Walking as he spoke towards an elevator.

The hotel was a five star and quite lavish on the inside. The space inside was open with benches facing a koi pond that was surrounded with exotic flora. Jade continued to the glass elevator. "Have you ever visited before?" He said casually, a comment that sounded common place though Jade didn't mean from another planet. "Or is this your first visit to Earth?"

Agabiro slid to the elevator, following Jade. "Oh, no, I come here quite often." He lowered his voice slightly as he continued. "Often enough to make enemies. Didn't I tell you it was an outpost?"
In fact Earth was maybe his favourite planet. He just enjoyed how humans, the self-appointed messengers of Civilization with a capital C, could be so openly violent at the drop of a hat, and then go back to being fine ladies and gentlemen like nothing had happened. There was no better diversion than a good war. He enjoyed watching them, but most of all, he enjoyed starting them, and Earth was always on the brink of some war or another.
He waited until they were in the relative privacy of the elevator to ask his question. His yellow-green eyes were flashing with mirth as he did.
"Do tell me, what would turn a nice boy into someone like you? Stories of innocence corrupted are the best stories."

Their conversation was casual and none passing them were the wiser to it's true meaning. It amused Jade to talk with someone so casually over the subject. Never had he done so before. Ben always quickly shut him down and halted the conversation when he'd speak of the dark deeds he had orchestrated. It was both thrilling and a relief to speak so openly about it.

The door closed leaving Agabiro and Jade alone in the glass elevator. Jade held the handle of the dark violin case with both hands as he leaned against the railing along the glass. He casually looked over at the demon. He'd been asked this before, by his succubus. He didn't answer her, but possibly it was the way she asked. A corner of Jades lips curled into a smile. He enjoyed talking with Agabiro, which was the only reason he answered him.

"You can say it runs in the family." A memory flashed in his mind. Something that should have been a night mare but it was a moment of new fascination. "As you know demons and angels are prevalent on my home world. Many families practice the art of protection for those summoners willing to do the other harm... Well... Long story short my family is very rich. Posh noble socialites whom enjoy dull fancy parties and other forms of mind numbingly stupid galas." He rolled his eyes. "Mum always thought it would be fitting if I learned the violin." He smirked with a sneer before he continued. "Anyways long story short my mum also insisted I learn how to protect myself from demons. Something my father... fatally... didn't practice much in..."

Jade stared into nothing as he remembered. "Another noble house realized they could move up the social ladder if they took my parents out... During the attack mum rushed for this violin, which until that night I never knew existed. But it was those moments... Watching my father die... Being torn apart by a demon... That I realized what power your kind has..." His words were heavy with fascination, not sorrow over the death of his father. He paused as remembered the room being covered in blood. He inhaled and looked back at Agabiro. "Mum returned and tried to play but she was attacked before she could play the correct cord... In her dying breath she told me to play. So I did."

A wicked smile came across Jades face. "It was when I saw the demon drop my mother's body that I realized that the only way to fight fire was with fire. To protect myself from summoners I must become one myself..." He looked away as the door opened to their floor. "The rest was me growing bored at home and wanting to make... a business for myself." He finished as he walked from the elevator.

Agabiro gave a nod of acknowledgement as he slithered out of the lift and along the decoratively carpeted corridor.
"So you learned to fight fire with fire and became a pyromaniac in the process. Fitting. I must say I prefer that to the other outcome, being consumed with guilt and self-pity upon having struck a match." There was no mistaking those glistening eyes, that sharp intake of breath; he saw this expression most often in the face of a lovestruck swain who finds himself in unexpectedly close proximity to his lady. This was well beyond self-defence. It was well beyond being bored. Jade obviously loved doing this, and would not have stopped for the world. Oh, but Agabiro understood, of course he did. One finding himself suddenly in control in a situation where he was to be the victim, and at the same time discovering what was to become his chief enjoyment... well, that had to be extraordinary. "I gather you found the experience of power rather... exhilarating."
But his answer was cut short here. As they were getting nearer to the Asralie's room, something unexpected struck his senses. It was an obvious demonic presence; no, two. One stronger than the other, though not overly so, but both quite undeniable. Ah, ha. An interesting development. So this was not Jade's first try in obtaining a pet demon. May he have underestimated him? Slightly. Yes, yes. One succeeds in climbing two hills and one tries for Mount Everest. He gave a dry little chuckle. It was indeed something one drunk with power would do.
"Either you have unexpected visitors, maestro, or rather I assume you have been keeping secrets."

Jade twitched his tail as he looked back at Agabiro. "Exhilarating is one way to describe it." He mused to himself. The demon was right on the money of how it truly felt to Jade. It was an emotional high and deadly lust that he felt when he commanded a demon to kill for him. The conversation had him floating a little like one who'd just been chatting up about their love. He didn't notice the demon's shift right away as he came to the door of his hotel room.

The dry chuckle however drew his attention back to Agabiro. So he was at least wise enough to sense the other demons. He laid his hand on the door as he looked at the other, a devious smile slipping over his slim face although his tilted head suggested he was trying to look innocent. "No secrets. You never asked." He cooed darkly as he opened the door. Once Agabiro was in the room he shut the door, mainly for their own privacy. "Welcome to... My family." He said as he chose his words carefully.

The room was large and as big as a one bedroom apartment. With a living room and small kitchen with a room where the bed and bath were. The other thralls were hidden at the moment, should a cleaning maid or other such walk into the room they would not find them. But upon their maestro entering they could show themselves. First there was a chittering and excited snickering. "Maestro comes back! Did he bring us kittens? We do love kittens!" A high pitched voice called from under the couch. "We likes the way they squeal as we eats them."

An imp came out from under the couch but froze instantly when he saw Agabiro. With a wide flat face much like a toads and big black eyes he looked up. His flat toad like face also held no ears, none that could be seen anyway. His impossibly wide mouth opened only slightly with surprise, showing a mouth full of small needle like teeth. His light brown and sandy color scaly skin was blotched with bright red rosettes. Elongated fingers clung to the plush carpet as he looked up. His lithe body was possible as tall as Jade if not slightly shorter but it was sickly thin and curved in no natural way with long arms and legs. His clawed feet shuffled away from the more powerful demon. "It's going to eats our Maestro! Devour him whole it will." He hissed as he scurried away submissively.

"Shut up Xigxar. He's not going to eat me. Not anytime soon anyways." He said looking back at Agabiro.

Agabiro followed into the hotel room and looked around. Or rather, he attempted to look around with a very noisy, very excitable imp in his field of vision. And that was when the succubus slipped out of the closet.
"Ooooh. Handsome Maestro is home. I've been waiting for you for sooo long, I could hardly contain my excitement!" She didn't just speak, she purred, clasping her hands behind her back and swaying left and right, trying her best to look demure. She looked everything but. "And a handsome guest. I remember you, you are Agabiro. Do you remember Zuricka?"
Agabiro didn't answer. These succubi, always fawning on whoever they thought was stronger than them... the best way to be rid of them was to ignore them. He did remember Zuricka, as a matter of fact. So this was where she disappeared to. Well, some never learn.
The demoness slinked up to Jade, her tails writhing like a handful of serpents. Her dark pink skin - smooth and almost edible-looking, like the skin of a fruit or the icing on some sort of confectionery - was palpitating with excitement and emitting enough of her pheromonous scent to build a perfume factory around. Agabiro supposed it would attract a mortal, but he wasn't susceptible to that sort of thing. "I thought you would be in a hurry to your performance, Maestro. I can help, I'm very good at helping. Would you like some help bathing and getting dressed, Maestro?"
Typical. Agabiro shrugged and shook his head. "True enough, I never asked. Not that it changes much. Why, I even like it this way. It almost feels like home already."

Jade walked in a ways, ignoring the succubus and her flirty ways. But when she mentioned Agabiro by name, he looked at the other. Giving him a questionable look. He realized this could simply be that Agabiro was more powerful, which succubi were naturally attracted to. Not that the two honestly knew one another. Jade waved his hand flippantly at her, shooing her away as he walked by. He ignored her for the moment being and headed for the bedroom.

It was clear that Jade was used to the seductive ways of Zuricka, but it was also clear we was not interested. Even though Jade was a male, he could care less about her. When she mentioned bathing him, he seemed repulsed by the idea, wrinkling his nose at the very idea. "Perhaps home will be more interesting with someone intelligent to talk to." He said narrowing his eyes on the imp then succubus. He paused a moment to watch Agabiro. "It smells fresh. Yes. Just from the depths. Did he bring us kittens? Tasty. Kittens." Xigxar sniveled as he crawled closer to Agabiro.

Agabiro slid to the couch, sat back and coiled his tail. He was ready, and only waiting for Jade's performance now.
"No kittens," he said drily, not even turning towards the imp. "I have more important business to attend to. You can catch your own kittens, I'm sure, you will find they aren't very formidable opponents."
He could not help but take notice of the Asralie's indifference in the face of Zuricka's continuing seduction (not one to give up easily, even at present, she was all but dancing around him). He had heard of summoners who successfully enthralled a succubus and then became her thrall themselves all but in name. Even those who prided themselves on being unswayed by feminine wiles were not left unaffected. But this time that was very obviously not the case. This was not even just extraordinary self-command; Jade was truly not interested in the least. Even disgusted, it seemed. No interest in women whatsoever, then. But then, was that really so surprising? He was already engaged to something else, so to speak.
"I must say I am impressed. Even when enticed by a succubus, you remain faithful to your own true love, murder. Even a demonic woman can hold no candle to that, is that it?" He smiled. "I would say that it is healthy for your soul to be so untempted, if it wasn't because you are in fact all the more damned."

"He brought us nothing! Nothing!" The imp started to wail in despair as he realized he'd get nothing to eat. Like a toddler pitching a fit because he didn't get his way. Jade groaned and rubbed his temples. "Stop with the incessant wailing or you'll get nothing to eat ever again." He said jerking his arm away from the fawning succubus. Xigxar toned his whining down to a mere whimper as he curled into a ball. His black eyes looking up at Jade whom simply ignored him.

The asralie paused to look at Agabiro when he spoke. He called him faithful, to murder but he still took it as a compliment. He almost blushed. "The demonic woman would also take my soul the moment I let my guard down. And well..." He scowled at Zuricka as she grew too close to him. "I'm simply not interested." He said flatly more to the demoness than to Agabiro. The comment though seemed to bug him. He wasn't overly open about his sexuality but it did make him wonder if it was too odd to not be attracted to Zuricka. "Is it really so odd she doesn;t interest me?" He said frowning a bit.

"Quite." Agabiro looked over to the demoness; she seemed intent on caressing Jade's hair this time. "One would have to be completely insensitive to feminine charms. Which, I gather, is the case. It is quite easy to tell cautiousness and fear for your soul from, well..." He paused for a moment, seeking for the perfect word for that expression around the Asralie's mouth. "...revulsion."
At this word the succubus jumped back as if she had touched hot iron, with an exaggerated painful hiss, her wine-red hair scattering. But the next second she approached again.
"Oh, but that's not true, is it, Maestro?" She wiggled her shoulders a little, with a pouty expression on her face. "You don't find poor little Zuricka revolting, do you, Maestro? I would do anything to please you."
Agabiro narrowed his eyes and shook his head. "Anything but leave him alone, obviously." He turned back to Jade, and added: "Quite easy, as I said, for someone possessed of a little good sense. But..." He shrugged and, with the fingers of his left hand, tapped the side of his elongated cranium in an illustrative gesture, looking pointedly in Zuricka's direction. In fact it was understandable, in a way. She wasn't used to this development, she expected to be desired, anything else didn't compute. "Well, that in itself answers your previous question."

Jade had no quams about showing the amused look on his face when just a word from Agabiro sent Zuricka into a hissy fit. Literally. His smirk however faded when she came closer again, the gentle sneer returning to his face. "Hm. You can please me best by not touching me." Jade replied in a dark tone. He didn't answer her on whether he found her revolting and left the conversation to that. His eyes falling back upon Agabiro and his motions. He lifted his head, a gesture of understanding when he looked at Zuricka. It was odd to her as the whole purpose of a succubi was to be desired.

He left the conversation at that, eyeing the demoness a moment before he walked to his room. "Don't follow me or try to sneak in." He said as he left the room. Shutting the door in her face should she try to follow him. It didn't take him long before he was dressed and ready to go. Wearing a white long sleeve button up shirt and a slate blue stylish vest and dark matching slacks. He came from the room with the dark violin in tow. "Maestro brings us a kitten when he comes back yes?!" Xigxar said in exasperation and pleading. Jade simply sighed. "Maybe. Maybe not. We'll see." Truth was he didn't want to deal with cleaning the blood up from the hotel furniture. "Both of you, stay in the room and stay out of sight." Xigxar chittered excitedly and obediently crawled under the couch.

Jade explained during the car ride that Agabiro would be dropped off before they went to the hall. A location close to where the doll was moved and stored. Once he'd been dropped off it was off to the performance hall. He entered through the back and sough solace before he was to perform. Sitting before the dark violin with a calm energy. It always took a toll on his body when he used the dark magic which meant he always needed to prepare for his 'performance'. His keen ears picking up on the murmur of the crowd and the voice of the announcer. With a calm deep breath he picked up the case and walked to the stage.

Be bowed before the crowd, the case clasped in both hands as he did so. Placing the violin on a stool provided he took out the demonic instrument. Even with the spot light on him the violin remained dark. It's effect to the light was subtle but it seemed to suck the light away from around it. "Good evening ladies and gentlemen. Thank you all for attending. I promise you a performance worthy of the price you paid." He said as he stepped away from the micro phone and placing the violin on his shoulder.

A hush came over the crowd and the lights behind the Asralie faded to somber blue. Softly he pulled the bow across the string, making a haunting but beautiful wail. The sound was heavenly, soft and gentle as if breathing life into something. This was the cord that brought life to the doll that was now before Agabiro.

Agabiro was silent on the way as they left behind the disappointedly pouting demoness and the excitable imp. Silence was suddenly something he appreciated very much in comparison. He simply listened and nodded as Jade explained his part of the plan.
It hadn't missed his attention that Jade had avoided answering Zuricka's question. So this was something he didn't want to talk about, wasn't it? Always good to know. But he left it at that. Not that he was scandalized - it was, understandably, impossible to scandalize him, he had seen and done too many things for that. It just didn't matter for now.
He had much to think about; anticipation to see his plan in action occupied his mind. He welcomed being left alone with the doll. Not that he was nervous, he had no reason to be, he had killed many men before; rather he was excited because this was the first test run of a weapon he would use to kill Whitehill. He wanted to inspect it, and more than that, he wanted to use it already.
The doll, he observed, was a show of excellent craftsmanship. But, as it resembled Jade, it was also largely harmless-looking, frail and soft. He didn't think that it would arouse anyone's suspicions. Other than the button eyes, of course. They looked suitably disconcerting, but they also destroyed the illusion of a harmless Asralie, and invited suspicion. When visiting the bishop, he would have to wear a pair of sunglasses. For now, however, they were perfectly fine.
He heard the soft sigh of the violin despite the distance, as it commanded him to enter the doll. And as he obeyed, he immediately realized something.
The doll didn't only resemble the Maestro. In a manner of speaking, it felt like it was the Maestro. That was clearly, unmistakably his presence. His soul, or at least part of it, inside the doll. Agabiro wasn't sure if this was a very clever or very stupid idea on Jade's part. Of course, he would have more control, but at the same time be more at risk. But then, from what he had seen, the Asralie liked risk. Good, because he was going to get it. But not tonight. Tonight would be... peaceful, for a murder.
He stretched his newly acquired limbs and got going. The body felt surprisingly elastic and good to move in; much like a real body. He strode out into the deserted street, and took a turn towards the end where shop lights and car lights were showing, to rejoin the circulation of the city.
If his calculations were right, which they generally were, the lawyer should soon be on his way home. His hovercar was still parked in the garage under the office, the same car he saw in the file: an elegant, grey one, a year old at most. It took him all of four seconds to get it open and place himself on the back seat, then lock it back again. He slid down a little, so the lawyer would not immediately be alerted when he gets in, but soon enough it wouldn't matter either way.
He waited for maybe five minutes only when the mark showed up. Precautions had been unnecessary; the man threw himself into the front seat without a single look in the back of the car. Then he closed the doors and checked the rearview mirror before backing out of his spot. And found a pair of button eyes looking back.
"Good evening," Agabiro said in the quiet, engaging manner of a polite nightmare. "Yes, maybe it's a dream; does that really matter? For now, I'm here, aren't I?" The man visibly swallowed, but didn't scream. It was the sane, persuasive tone; Agabiro could be good with his voice when he didn't want to use bloodier methods - like now. It could really work miracles. "Speaking of dreaming, you look tired. Do you sleep enough? Maybe you should see a doctor. You aren't so young anymore. I should guess having a new wife tires you out." He leant back in the comfortable seat, crossing his legs. "I wonder if you can tire her out too. I doubt, though. Your face looks really quite grey. Not as grey as your hair, but still. And you aren't very fit either, so it's understandable. Eww- now that I look at you closer, I wonder what she sees in you at all. Why, I'm sick just looking at you. Although you are successful, that's true. Money is attractive. That must be it. If you were honest, you might say you bought her, didn't you? Hired her is maybe the more proper expression." His voice only amplified the voice of the lawyer's subconscious worries. And that's why it worked. It was true. Or the victim thought it was, which made no difference at all. "You don't think she loves you, do you? Poor naïve boy. She's so young and pretty, she could have any man. In fact she probably does. You did work late today too, what do you think she is doing while you are away, pining after you and your flabby stomach? No, put that phone down. It wouldn't change anything, she would just lie about it anyway. What do you think of that? She married you because you were rich and pretends she loves you. Isn't that despicable? And then she cheats on you, even though you bought her, you practically own her. Why, in the middle ages nobody would have said a word if you killed her for cheating on you. Don't you want to do that? Kill her? Oh, I know you do." Suddenly his tone became sharper. "Now, don't you start the car yet. How eager you are to murder. Can't you see what a horrible person you are? You convinced this poor inexperienced young girl to marry you, and then you want to kill her because you think you own her and you can't even trust her. Why, I think people like you deserve to die. You disgust me, body and soul. What? Put down that gun, coward. You'd kill yourself while she screws one poolboy after the other, and leave her everything you worked hard for? Some punishment, I say." He wasn't being consistent, but nor was he trying to be; nor were nightmares, and they still worked. In fact, they worked all the better. There was nothing to argue with, because he wasn't trying to make a sensible argument. He was trying to cut where it hurt the most, to destroy. "No, if you are going to kill yourself, at least kill the despicable whore first." His voice took on a conspiratory, whispering tone. "Make her pay. In fact, why not scare her really badly? Make it look like you are taking her out for a nice dinner, so she won't suspect anything, and just when she starts to enjoy herself, kill her. Hmm, how does that sound? A gunshot to her pretty little head, and she pays. Another to your own, and it will be all over. Wouldn't you like it to be all over?" It was almost too easy, really... This man just asked to be dead. "Just think about what I said. No, what do you mean by 'me'? You are alone in your car, it was locked, wasn't it? You most certainly didn't see an Asralie with buttons for eyes appear in your car out of nowhere. Are you crazy? People will think you are. It was just a dream, remember, you are tired. Nothing of the sort happened. But don't forget what I said. Think about it. And now sleep, you are tired."
That was a job well done. As the man's head sank down onto the dashboard, Agabiro got out. He still had to have a little chat with the wife and prepare her for the event. He had to tell her how much she loved dining out with her husband; and that he would never hurt her, even if he looks like he wants to, that can only be a joke and they would have a good laugh together afterwards.
Besides, he wondered how much of what he had said was true.

Status
Not open for further replies.