The Average Highschool Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Things seemed to be settling down finally, and it looked as though that the game was going to resume after the near riot, so Alex put his phone away. He didn't see the need to get his father down here with half the police force to try and restore order. Alex felt safe enough to get back to work and began taking more pictures in his other little corner of the field.

He glanced around trying to see if he could find Corrie again, but wasn't able to. Although he wasn't exactly "oh his game with her" Alex had to admit it was nice talking to her. As he took a couple more shots of the crowd he got one more picture of Mrs. Becker and her husband. Again Alex shook his head and said, "Yeah like you really had a a chance. Get over it Alex." Alex figured he would continue roaming the side areas that he was used to until the game was over, and then call it a night. Alex decided that when he got home one of the first things he was going to do was to delete all the Becker pictures. Alex knew it was time to give up the infatuation and to be realistic. Although he had to admit it was going to be easier said than done.

With all of that crap taken care of, Tanya returned to Glenn, Mendi, and Aujuli. The crowd was much easier to navigate after that, and the rest of the first half of the game was on the quieter side of things. At half time, things cleared out as most people went to the concession stand. Glenn and Tanya opted to stay out of the line, but rather waited for Mendi and Aujuli to return to the pit, now that things had calmed down some.

((Just doing a little boost.))

After the game restarted, it ended with a bittersweet victory for the Generals. A 4 to 2 victory wasn't bad, but several more of their team were injured, which only meant that the beginning of their season will start off rather bumpy until their stronger members recover. Several people held off going to the various hangout places after the scrimmage; only going to White Castle for burgers and fries, or to Sunlocks for a latte and live music. Honestly, others just wanted to check on their friends at the hospital or just go home to prepare for the next day. This wasn't the best way to kick off the soccer season, and the funk that lingered over the soccer field that night seem to hang around the school the following day.

Well, to some, that's how it felt.

Mendi and Aujuli had hung out at the school to wait on Castor and Garrett before considering heading to the hospital. They, like many others, wanted to see Matt; but once they got there, the doctors only allowed his family to see him at that time. So, they left Garrett there to care for his brother, and headed home.

"I'll see ya for morning laps, alright," Aujuli gave Mendi a hug before she stepped out of Castor's car.

"Okay...even though I really don't wanna! I'm tired of Coach's lip. He's been a real jerk the last few days since my return. He could like, you know, be nicer or something..."

"And like, you know, black bears should be more cuddly rather than wanting to claw your face out! Yea, right!" Aujuli hopped back into the car. Just set your alarm before the sunrises, and get some rest. Don't even think about how early it'll be..."

"Or how cold the water's going to be, or how hungry I'm going to be, and how slow I'm going to swim cause it'll be too damn early to do laps..."

"Ahh, Castor, drive! She'll do this all night!"

Mendi waved the car away, and trudged inside the house. She relayed the night's events to her parents, causing her father to spaz, and her mother to worry about Matt's parents and what they were going through. Mendi just let them do whatever and dragged herself upstairs. After her shower, she bounced into bed with her phone and tablet, earphones on and homework beside her, she began to work on the few assignments she didn't finish in study hall and text her other friends. Eventually, she passed out before setting her alarm.

Last edited:
Alex snapped off a few more shots and then one of the scoreboard. He did a quick scan of the crowd to see if he could find Corrie again. He just wanted to say that he had a nice time hanging out with her, and was hoping to see her again sometime. When he couldn't find her anywhere Alex shrugged his shoulders and said, "Oh well some other time."

Alex smiled as he started to walk away and head to his car as Mrs Becker approached him.

Alex shook his head said, "Wow what a night. It's gonna be an interesting season to say the least."

Mrs. Becker asked, "Did you get any pictures of the fight and the injury?"

Alex replied, "Sure did ready for your approval."

Mrs. Becker couldn't even look at Alex as she said, "Delete them it didn't happen."

Alex was somewhat puzzled.

Mrs Becker said, "Just do it." She took a deep breath and said, "Please Alexander don't force me to confiscate your camera. Please delete them."

This was new for Alex. One Mrs. Becker never asked him to delete any pictures he took, especially ones that she wanted him to take earlier. Two she called him Alexander. Third she said please twice! Mrs. Becker's voice also sounded as though that this was not her idea. Now for Alex the question was why?

Alex pulled out his camera, brought up the first picture of the incident and deleted it right in front of Mrs. Becker, and did it for the rest of them as well. Mrs. Becker looked as though she had just told a child about Santa as she said, "Thank you Alex."

Mrs. Becker turned and walked away without another word. Alex felt like he got punched in the stomach right through to his spine.

When he got home the only thing he said to his parents was, "I'm tired I'm going to bed" as he made a beeline upstairs to his room and closed the door. Alex cut on his computer and immediately began deleting his pictures of Mrs. Becker. He got to the last one and it was his favorite. It was a picture of her outside the school during a fire drill. The sun hit her hair just perfectly so as to highlight her dark brown, the wind was blowing through it, she wore a pair of sunglasses, and had a smile that Alex would've gone to war for. Alex hovered the cursor over the delete function, but then moved the cursor down, and he said, "No. Not that one."

Just then there was a knock at his door. Alex cut off his computer and said, "Come in."

His father Daniel entered the room and closed the door. He asked, "What's bugging you?"

Alex shook his head and replied, "Nothing dad. Just tired."

Daniel said, "Alexander. Don't make me drag you downtown and sweat it out of you. I'm a cop I know when people are lying, and second I'm your father I know you better than anyone. Now I'm gonna ask you again."

Alex took a deep breath and told his dad about the near riot and the order to delete the pictures. When he was done Daniel said, "First off it sounds like she got pressure from up above. I can understand the school wanting to not feed the fire, and remember there will be a rematch. Secondly you feel like someone you trusted and cared for betrayed you." When he said "cared" Alex just looked at Daniel who said, "I'm your father I know these things. Lastly you're realizing that sometimes what we want is not meant to be. You and Mrs. Becker and I'm sure they were great pictures, but now no one will ever see them." Daniel shook his head and said, "It's called the birth of the blues. I'll be back."

Daniel left and when he returned he had two glasses of Scotch on the rocks. He pushed one in front of Alex. Alex took it and was somewhat puzzled. Daniel said, "You're old enough to get the crap kicked out of you like an adult. As far as I'm concerned you're old enough to have a drink with your old man."

Alex nodded and asked, "What should we drink to?"

Daniel held up his glass and said, "New beginnings for both of us. For you finding your way in a whole new adult world, and for me first week next month I get the big chair."

Alex smiled and said, "Congrats Dad, or should I say Commissioner?"

Daniel replied, "I'll always be your father first. New Beginnings."

The two men clinked their glasses and talked through the night.

• Love
Reactions: Phi Chisym
Andrew didn't even bother staying after he had left the food stand, the atmosphere was gone and there was no point in staying around. He got a ride from a friend to head home. He got home and unlocked the door. Looked like both his parents were out late tonight. He took off his sweatshirt and hung it up on one of the hooks. He stretched and walked over to the kitchen, he needed to have some sort of dinner. He finished cooking and grabbed the plate and his bag and ran upstairs to his room.

He pushed open the door and put his bag on the floor, turned on the light and walked in. He ate while doing homework. He brought the plate down and cleaned up a bit. He walked back upstairs and turned on his alarm before getting into bed and going to sleep.

Corrie bounced from foot to foot nervously. No matter how many times Matt managed to hurt himself, she didn't think she would ever stop worrying about his well being. If it were anyone else, she would have grown tired of the constant worry that he would mess himself up beyond repair. However, somehow she didn't mind caring about him. She owed at least that much to him.

She tried for a few minutes to get into the ambulance to ride with him, holding herself to the full extent of her height- which wasn't much, of course. "No, you don't understand. Please- I'm his best friend! I need to be there!" The paramedic holding her back (the one not holding the stretcher that carried Matt) looked apologetic, though he made no move to bend the rules. "Family only sweetheart, I'm sorry. You'll have to visit him later okay?"

Corrie huffed, crossing her arms across her chest and blowing a few strands of hair out of her eyes. After a few more attempts at passing him, she finally headed to return home, defeated. The deep frown she wore was a stark contrast to the grin that was nearly always present on her face. For a few moments, she wondered if Alex was still around, but quickly realized she would have to apologize profusely the next day at school for all but abandoning him in the middle of a conversation. She wasn't normally a rude person at all- but some situations change the rules of the game. And, she supposed, hearing your best friend scream in pain typically counts as one of those times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MST3K 4ever
Her phone chimed her awake. Mendi squinted at her bright cell phone and gasped, tossing her earphone away and jumping straight up in her bed as she answered the call.

"Mendi! I knew you would oversleep," Aujuli blared from the other end. "I'm sitting out here with Castor; get your butt dressed and down here this instant!"

Mendi growled, "Alright, alright! Sorry, didn't set my alarm. I'll be down in a sec." She pushed aside all of her school things that dubbed as a blanket, and got out of bed. Bouncing around like a Mexican jumping bean, she quickly dressed in her swimsuit and Olympic cadet sweats, grabbed her bag to stuff her school things inside, and rushed out the door. She rarely eats anything before swimming practice, and always regretted it, but this time she grabbed a little cup of yogurt for later.

Swimming practice went better than before, but Coach still barked at her lack of concentration, especially when they were working on their synchronize diving. Mendi just wasn't connecting with Aujuli at the time, and twice she hit her foot against the diving board during one of their difficult dives, which forced Coach to end practice early. Mendi wasn't hurt badly, but her ankle was swollen and bruised. Coach wrapped her up and told her to grab a crutch from the nurse when she made it to school so she wasn't putting too much pressure on it.

"You've got to walk on it, okay, so it doesn't tighten up and swell worse. You're soccer Coach will be pissed if you mess yourself up here, so don't make it worse. It should heel up this week without a problem. Next time thought, have your head in the game!"

Mendi took the advice and her and Aujuli left the city pool when Castor picked them up. "What's going on, Mendi?" Aujuli questioned as soon as they were out of Coach's earshot.

"Honestly, I don't know myself, I guess." Really, she was concern about Matt and Garrett, which everyone was, but what else was keeping her mind off right then? "Guess I'm more tired than I thought," was her only excuse. The group quietly headed to school, and once there, did their normal routine before splitting off to their respected classes. Mendi stood at her locker, moving at a snail's pace. She really didn't want to go to class at the moment, but knew there was no choices in the matter. Closing her locker, she slowly turned around to make her way down the hall to class.

Reactions: MST3K 4ever
The next morning Alex went through his rituals of getting cleaned up and ready for school. He slipped on his favorite blue-jeans and his Kobe Bryant black jersey. Usually that had a way of putting a little extra spring in his step, but not today. What happened last night weighed on his mind. He was hopeful that Matt was okay and that Garrett was holding up well considering he was now going to have to deal with things on a whole new level. Alex tried not to dwell on what happened last night with Mrs. Becker. His dad did have a good point that this sounded like it was coming from up above, so Alex tried to let it go. If anyone else had said it to him Alex wouldn't have listened, but Dan had a great deal of credibility in matters like this with Alex. The man was about to be in charge of the Police Force so he knew how to read situations and people.

Alex combed his hair and said, "It's showtime." With that he was on his way down the stairs and saw his mom Ellen getting ready to leave, She said, "Good morning Alex."

Alex as he was fixing a Pop-Tart replied, "Hey Mom." He looked at her and said, "Listen last night I came in and blew by you without saying a word really. I was kind of a jerk. I'm sorry about that."

Ellen grabbed her brief case and said, "Don't worry about it honey. Your dad told me what happened and it's okay."

Alex blinked twice and Ellen said, "Yeah surprise your dad and I talk every once and a while. Especially when it comes to you and your brother and sister. I understand Alex it's okay."

Alex nodded and replied, "Thanks mom. I got band practice today after school, so I'll be a little late getting home."

Ellen said, "It's okay your dad and I are meeting with the Mayor, the Chief, and the outgoing Commissioner and their spouses for dinner at the club tonight. So you're on your own for dinner tonight."

Alex said, "I thought Commissioner Wright was retiring in a year."

Ellen looked at Alex and said, "Apparently his cancer is back, so they're moving things up. Not to be repeated, and neither is news about your dad. It'll be public knowledge in the next couple of days. For now though keep it quiet." Ellen looked at her watch and said, "Uh-oh I gotta go." She gave Alex a quick peck on the cheek and said, "Love you. Have a good one."

Alex replied, "Love you too mom." Ellen was out the door and Alex just stared at the floor for a few moments. Just then the family dog Harvey approached him and whimpered slightly. Alex scratched behind his ears and said, "I'll be all right bud. It's gonna be just fine." Harvey whimpered once again and Alex said, "Yeah yeah I know, but if I say it enough maybe I'll believe it." Alex gave Harvey a brief smile and changed the water in his dish.

Alex arrived at school and heard the talk in the hallways about the game last night. He tried to ignore it because one he was there he didn't need to hear the half-truths and rumors. Secondly it was kind of an open wound with him. As he made to his Government Class he saw Mrs. Becker.

She approached him and asked, "When do you have Study Hall?"

Alex replied, "Fourth hour."

Becker said, "Come see me. I need to talk."

Alex nodded and said, "Okay."

The two then went their separate ways.

As the crowd dissipated, Tanya and Glenn joined the masses to go home. While Tanya wanted to join those who were going out for a meal- her cheese fries, she despaired, had been dropped when the fight started- Glenn decided against it. And since Tanya had gotten her friend to go to the soccer game and in the pit, she relented. While the girl tried to ask to go visit Matt, Glenn decided against it. "I'm going to be your sense of responsibility," he informed her, "and remind you that you can visit tomorrow. They probably have visiting hours, anyways- and I'm sure that you've got work you haven't done yet."

Tanya grinned, sheepishly, at him, while they walked to her house. It was closer, for one thing, and both had taken the bus that morning, for another. Their conversation meandered through various topics- teachers, administration, friends, the game, and what have you- until they arrived back at Tanya's home. The lights were on and the door was unlocked; when Tanya opened it, a white and grey mass of fur jumped up on her, then Glenn, then her again, in greeting. Then the dog ran outside, squatted quickly, and ran back in, where Tanya waited with the door open. She shut it after him, and turned around to face her father, who was sipping a beer at the crowded counter.

"Hey, guys," Don Greenfield greeted easily. "How was the game?" He was a tired looking man; his clothes were always just a bit disheveled, and he never really got quite enough sleep, it seemed. Don had much darker hair than Tanya, though some grey was starting to peer through the strands, and stubble across his chin, cheeks, and upper lip. He had circles under his eyes, which were the same green as Tanya's, but they had a dull sort of kindness to them.

"First game, and they've already got someone in the hospital!" Tanya gushed. "Other than that it was, you know, a regular game- oh, can we give Glenn a ride home, by the way?"

Don chuckled. "Sure." The man set down his beer- "I haven't had more than a couple sips yet, anyways,"- and picked up his keys. "I'm ready whenever you are, Glenn. It's nice seeing you, by the way."

"Thanks, and you," Glenn replied, and smiled. He always did appreciate Tanya's father's easy-going manner. "I'm ready to leave," he added, and the two stepped out the door.

While they headed for the Gressen household, Tanya changed, and pulled out her homework. She started on that and, when her father came home, procrastinated on what she had left by telling him about the game, and her heroic actions of being among the first to call the medical station's attention to the scene. Then Tanya returned to her room to finish her homework and shove it in her bag, then gladly fall into bed when that was all finished.

The next morning went similarly to the previous one- shower, getting dressed, brushing teeth, checking that the bag was packed, letting the dog out, and leaving were all in there in some order. Don was, again, asleep as Tanya left, but she did start the coffee for him. The bus was less crowded that day, which Tanya didn't mind, though she didn't see Glenn. Not a particular surprise, as he did get to take his mom's car to school, sometimes. When the bus arrived, Tanya looked at the time, and grinned. It was early today, 12 minutes until class, which gave her plenty of time to search the halls for one friend or another.

Glenn's return home wasn't nearly so eventful. His house was quiet at the time of night, now; an older sister in college, a mother who went to bed early, and a father who was likely sitting somewhere with a snack and a book, being quiet as possible so as to not wake his wife or son, resulted in few words to be exchanged. This suited Glenn perfectly, however, as he crept up the stairs, over that creaky step and around those squealing floorboards. He pulled out his work, but it was all finished, and slid it back into his bag. He changed, and turned the lights off, and finally crawled into bed, glad for the rest to come.

The next morning was nearly identical to the previous one. Mother served as an alarm, shower, get dressed, brush teeth, eat breakfast, brush teeth again, leave. Today, however, Glenn drove his mother's car to school. He much preferred this mode of transportation to the school bus, as it was much quieter. However, it also left him much later, giving Glenn only just enough time to get to his locker to pick up the books he'd left there the previous night that he needed for his first class, which Glenn wasted no time in getting to- biology, room 508.

Darcy woke up earlier than intended that next morning, although she didn't know why. Fumbling for her glasses, she went through basically the same routine as yesterday, save for one thing. "Darcy! Could you please help me with your brother? Just pack his lunch, please?" Her frantic mother shouted up the stairs, obviously woken up as well by the sound she now recognized by her little brother Tyson crying. She hurried downstairs and scooped up the little Kindergarten child, plopping him into a chair for breakfast as she fixed his lunch. He stopped crying once he was sat down, eating his cereal nice and quietly.

"Thanks, Darcy." Her mother told her as she made Tyson his lunch. "No problem. Now I have to go get dressed." Darcy replied, packing everything in the Transformers lunch box and hurrying up to her room to get dressed and brush her teeth. She returned downstairs, her hair brushed and her teeth clean, before grabbing a granola bar and hurrying out the door. "Bye Mom bye Tyson see you later!" She called as she left the house, walking slower this time to the bus stop since she knew now what time it came.

She saw a handful of the same people as yesterday, some missing but most were present. She went over to sit on the bench like yesterday, pulling out the homework that she neglected to finish yesterday while waited for the bus to arrive.

Andrew awoke to the sound of his alarm. Sighing he got up and shut it off before it could make any more of its annoying beeping. He stretched and threw on some clothes before grabbing his bag and throwing stuff into it. The house was quiet which meant that either nobody was home or that his parents were asleep in bed. He went to the bathroom and made himself look half way decent. He walked down the stair quietly and grabbed his sweatshirt, it was sometimes cold in the morning and waiting for the bus wasn't very fun in the cold. He grabbed a bar for breakfast and left the house, locking the door behind him.

Andrew walked slowly over to the bus stop and sat on the bench. There were a few other kids around, same as yesterday but they all looked about the same. Nobody was quite used to waking up so early yet which meant that everyone looked tired or hungover depending on what exactly they had done the previous night. Andrew sighed and rested his head on the back of the bench, and wished he could just go back to bed.

Alex walked into Mrs. Becker's classroom. This was her prep hour and usually her aide Ms. Tomlinson was in there, but she was out of the room. It was a classroom just about like any other except she has a few more computers for editing sections of the yearbook & the school paper, some layout design tools, media equipment, and overhead monitors. Alex remembered when he was a freshman and Mrs. Becker first arrived. The equipment was past it's prime, in the late 1990's. The computers still had "A" drives on them, but Mrs. Becker fought tooth and nail, and it inspired the other students as well, to get new equipment. She fought and won she also saw the potential in a freshman photography club member named Alex Knight and fought to get him on the staff as a freshman. Mrs. Becker again won and this was one of the big reasons Alex was so loyal to her, because she stuck her neck out for him so Alex wanted to always do his best for her. After last night though that loyalty was somewhat shaken for Alex.

Alex stood in front of her desk as she was looking over a couple of papers. She said, "Have a seat Alex."

Alex replied, "I prefer to stand Mrs. Becker."

She looked up at him and said, "Please sit down Alexander."

Alex sat down and she continued, "Last night I asked you to do something completely out of character. I want you to know I did it with the best of intentions."

Alex replied, "Well you know what they say about best intentions."

Becker let out an exhale and said, "Alex the last 24 hours have been hell for me. Can you please give me break here." She had a look on her face that Alex had never seen before. It was one Alex never hoped to see again. A look of someone who was about to break and Alex was the cause of it.

Alex knew he had crossed the line and looked at her in the eye and said, "I know I went too far there, and I'm sorry last night couldn't have been easy for you. You always taught me that even in photojournalism there's two sides to every story. I lost sight of that I'm sorry. I talked with my dad and he said to him it sounded like you were getting pressure from up above. He guessed that if the pictures got out you'd lose your job. So again I'm sorry."

Becker nodded and said, "Your dad is pretty perceptive. I guess that's why he's next in line for the Commissioner's chair. However..." She looked around and back to Alex and said, "Not to be repeated, but you have a right to know. This rivalry is pretty tight that's why not only was Principal Hawkins there but Superintendent Cullen. They saw you take the pictures. They wanted you dismissed last night for what you did."

Alex's mouth opened and a shocked look crossed his face. He said, "For doing my job as a photojournalist? What? They can't do that."

Becker shook her head and said, "They can and they wanted to I was the one that talked them into the compromise of delete the pictures and you stay on. They didn't want the fires stoked anymore than they already are."

Alex looked down at the floor and was not only upset that his future had been threatened, but that he doubted Becker. He said to her, "I'm sorry that I was taking it out on you Mrs. Becker. After all you and I have been through I should've believed that you would have my best interest at heart." Looking up like a guilty child he said, "I'm sorry."

Becker nodded and replied, "Me too Alex. I'm glad that we cleared the air. Anyway I felt you had the right to know that I wasn't doing what I did just to be a bitch."

Alex nodded and said, "I understand thank you for being honest."

Becker replied, "You're welcome Alex. Anyway you better get going to Study Hall you still have time."

Alex stood up and started to walk away. Mrs Becker said, "Alex" Alex turned back to her and she said with a tear rolling down her cheek, "You're gonna make a great photojournalist. I just know it. I'm glad I took that chance on you. Take care."

Alex nodded and said, "Thank you."

Alex sat in the library with his math book open and by all outward appearances it looked like he was studying. His mind was billion miles away with the words "They wanted to dismiss you" ringing in his ears. Not for shoddy work or breaking a school rule but for doing his job. He was seething at the administration and Alex didn't like what he was thinking of doing, but this was a time to call in the big guns. Alex decided he would tell his father everything. Alex's dad was not above using his influence and position to help a friend if he thought they were worth it, and in this case it was his youngest son that was being threatened. Daniel Knight was going to be a very angry man and Alex almost felt sorry for Hawkins & Cullen and started to smile.

Just then he thought about how Mrs. Becker talked to him just before he left. Alex's eyes widened as a very crushing thought hit him. He said under his breath, "Oh no."

With that Alex gathered his items and took off back to Becker's room. He knew he ran the risk of being late to his 5th hour Bio lab but he didn't care. Alex arrived at Becker's classroom and this time Ms. Tomlinson was there.

He asked, "Hey Miss. T where's Mrs. Becker?"

Tomlinson replied, "Alex ummm I was just informed about five minutes that I'm the new Lit-Comp and Journalism teacher. Mrs. Becker resigned."

Alex felt like he had just seen the end of the world and took a step back. He asked, "Why?"

She replied, "Not sure she cited personal reasons and that was all." Tomlinson looked at the clock and said, "I'll have a little more to say when you're here next hour. Go onto your fifth hour."

Alex moved onto his fifth hour and his emotions went from shock to depression, and by the time he reached his bio class Alex was seething.

Last edited:
Alex arrived back at his house. He fed Harvey and was fixing himself a Hot Pocket with plans on practicing his Sax later on. After one Hot Pocket he broke a rule and gave Harvey the other one. The words "Mrs. Becker resigned" were still ringing in his ears and causing him to not really care about anything else. To the point that he resigned from the Journalism program and considered not pursuing his career in photojournalism. He was in a lot of pain, and not all of it was caused by Becker's abrupt resignation. Alex saw the writing on the wall in terms of the politics within the school system his mom talked about it a lot. Now it not only claimed a chance for Alex to tell a story, but in Alex's eyes it claimed the career of someone he cared for.

Just then Alex's phone buzzed and it was a text message. He opened it and saw that it was from C. Becker. The message said, "Out front of your house." Alex looked out front and saw Celia's car parked out front. Alex went outside and approached the car as Becker stood there next to it. He asked, "Hi, is there something I can do for you Mrs. Becker?"

She replied, "You got time to to talk?"

Alex nodded and said, "Sure."

Celia said, "Football field in ten minutes." She climbed back into her car and was gone. Alex cleaned up his dinner plate, grabbed his phone, and was on his bike to the stadium. He saw Celia's car and in the distance Alex saw her standing by the front gate. She entered the stadium through a nearby opening and Alex followed suit. He saw Celia sitting in the bleachers and joined her.

Alex asked, "What's on your mind Mrs. Becker?"

Celia looked out onto the field and replied, "Your future Alex."

Alex shrugged his shoulders and asked, "What about it?"

Celia said, "I heard about you quitting the Journalism program." She looked at Alex and said, "You have an incredible talent for capturing moments in time with that camera. Why are you walking away from it?"

Alex shook his head replied, "The price is too high. It's costing you your job here. I can't deal with that and the politics."

Celia said, "Alex, first off as you go along in your career you're gonna run into obstacles where you're gonna have to sit on something. Be it because of editorial content, lack of space in the spread, take your pick. That's just the way it is Alex. Better you learn it now than later on. Secondly even if they hadn't killed your photos I was resigning anyway."

Alex looked at Celia like he was a child who just learned the truth about Santa as he asked, "Why?"

Celia took a deep breath and replied, "Alex I'm pregnant." Alex felt his mouth open and Celia smiled although Alex noticed there was one single tear that rolled down Celia's face. She said, "However my husband had one rule when we got married. No kids. I thought I could live with that, but as I've gotten older I've discovered I wanted a child. So I stopped taking the pill and it happened. I took a home pregnancy exam and passed it. I then called my husband and told him. He didn't really react, but just before you came into my class he texted me that, quoting here, 'It's over', and that was that."

Alex asked, "What are you gonna do now?"

Celia replied, "I'm moving back with my parents. Difficult pregnancies run in the family, and I've already contacted a moving company and I'll be gone in less than 24 hours. I don't wanna have any reminders of this place anymore " Celia looked Alex and said, "Well with one exception." She took his hand while looking at him and said, "Alex don't let this deter you from a promising career. You have so much potential and so many gifts for this field. Don't give up please. Not to mention Lynn is gonna need all the help she can get running the journalism program, and you're one of the best assets she has. Please continue with this."

Alex looked at her hand intertwined with his. Alex had been dreaming of this moment since his Freshman year. He smiled and said, "On one condition."

Celia asked, "What's that?"

Alex looked at her and replied, "I want one slow dance with you. Please Mrs. Becker."

Celia looked at him for a moment and then smiled as she said, "First off I'm not going by Becker anymore I'm going back to maiden name Gallado. Secondly I should cite that I'm a teacher and all that, but truth is I'm not your teacher anymore. Lastly it's Celia from now on. All of that being said, yes. We can have one dance, but where though?"

Alex looked at the field and said, "We got the biggest dance floor in the world." The two still held hands as they walked down the stairs to the center of the field. The grass was a little damp, but at that moment Alex couldn't have cared less. He was about to live out a once in a lifetime dream. Alex pulled out his phoned and found a slow song on it and played it.

As the two began to slow dance under the stars and the moonlight Alex closed his eyes and said, "True confession time." He opened them and looked at Celia as he said, "I'm in so in love with you. I think you're the most beautiful and captivating woman I've ever known."

Celia replied, "Alex...one day..." she smiled and said, "One day you'll know how I feel about you I promise, but not right now. My emotions are a bit of a mess, but..." She leaned and kissed him on the cheek and said, "Thank you. My turn for true confession." She smiled and said, "All these years I've been fully aware of you checking me out."

Alex felt himself blush for a moment and Celia continued, "On one level it's kind of creepy, but on so many other levels knowing that I can still turn a younger guy's head is a nice ego trip for me. Considering how old I am."

Alex looked at Celia for a moment and she asked, "How old do you think I am?"

Alex replied, "27 28 at most."

Celia smiled very widely as she said, "Thank you. I'm actually 37 Alex, and you're on my Christmas card list for life for that statement."

They enjoyed the rest of the dance just leaning on one another, and then Alex felt his heart break as the song ended and his dream was now over. He felt a tear begin to well-up and Celia looked at him and said, "Okay a deal is a deal." Alex nodded as the tear fell and Celia said, "Hey no tears. You start crying then I will. I have no regrets about what I'm doing. I'm going to be a mother, and I know you're gonna be a world-class photojournalist. Not to mention I saw you flirting with that sophomore last night."

Alex shrugged his shoulders as Celia continued, "She's cute Alex. I think you'd be a fool not to pursue that avenue. You two look good together."

Alex nodded and wiped another tear away as he said, "I love you Celia, and I'll never forget you."

Celia took a deep breath and said, "I can promise you I'll never forget you either Alex. I promise you." She exhaled and looked into his eyes. She said, "If it was any other time or any other circumstance I'd never do this but..."

With that Celia pulled Alex to her and kissed him. Alex felt his heart accelerate like never before as his eyes closed and he embraced her.

When the kiss ended Alex said, "I won't let you down. I'm gonna do everything I can to justify the faith you've shown in me. I promise you...." he smiled and said, "Celia."

The two embraced one last time and Celia pulled away and said, "Okay time to go Alexander the Great." The two held hands as they made their way back to the parking lot. Alex walked Celia to her car. Celia got into her car and wrote down her e-mail address and said, "I fully expect lots of e-mails from you. Keep in touch with me Alex. Your e-mails are going to be a welcomed sight. Please keep in touch."

Alex nodded and suddenly felt his voice choke as he said, "I will."

Celia gave him a wink and said, "All-right I've kept you out long enough on a school night. Time for me to watch you walk away."

Alex nodded as he smiled. He walked back to his bike, and he heard Celia whistle as he was walking. Alex turned back around, and Celia blew him a kiss as she drove away.

Epilogue (10 months later): Alex and Celia kept in touch and Celia sent him a Christmas Card. Then came the birth announcement in an e-mail. Alex felt his jaw drop and he smiled as he read the name of Celia's child: Alexander Martin Gallado. Celia felt Alex was worthy of having his name carry on in her child. Alex eventually won numerous awards as a photojournalist, even a Pulitzer, but Celia naming her son after him...Alex felt that was greater than any award he ever won.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 person
Status
Not open for further replies.