Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Cosmic horror, fantasy, sci-fi, wuxia/xianxia
The Automaton War
Links:
OOC | Lore | Discord | IC

Introduction:

In the year 200 BAE, Alfred Loren discovered the most primitive form of artifice known to the world. Although few remember this moment, it marked the moment that the world would change dramatically. In the year 0 AE, Richard Mantilow released his universal thesis of artifice, uniting the many scattered traditions that had sprung from Loren's initial discovery, and marking the moment that wild magic began to fade from the world. In the year 30 AE, the first independently moving vehicle was developed using artifice, and in the year 50 AE, the first completely autonomous machine was created by Ilfred Hoiler, much to the amazement of his contemporaries. However, in the year 51 AE, it came to be known that the only way to infuse artifice with the ability to make autonomous decisions was through infusing human life into the machine, leading to his prompt arrest and execution in the year 52 AE.

Following Hoiler's death, the automaton's very existence was promptly censored, and much of the public quickly forgot about the invention. However, in the year 60 AE, an unknown individual conquered a small city with an army of automatons from nowhere. The entire population of the city was slaughtered, and the growing army of automatons began to spread out to nearby cities. By the time that the united governments of the continent were able to react to the situation, it was nearly too late, leading to a three-year stalemate between the army of undying machines and the union of the continent's governments. At the same time as the war began, whispers began to arise of both a cruel and powerful Automaton King ruling over the army of machines, and shadows that seemed inherently wrong.

Despite the best effort of the Union, they were fighting a losing battle, and with every casualty on the battlefield, their enemy found themselves with one more soldier to throw at them. Over three years, they were pushed back to possess less than a quarter of the continent, leading to the desperate governments enlisting artificers en mass. These artificers began the tradition of War Artificers, who focused more on wide-scale destruction than creativity in their craft. With new wide-scale warfare tactics, the Union was finally able to stabalize itself, and began preparations for a counter-attack. While keeping their armies capable of resisting the Automaton King's army, they began recruiting mercenaries for dangerous and difficult missions behind the war's frontlines, in hopes that doing so would result in a semi-disposable unit of skilled disruptors. While the program showed little result, there were just enough exceptions to keep the program running, leading to the current warfront.​

The Automaton War:

Hello, and welcome. The Automaton War is a gaslamp-set roleplaying setting. In this setting, players will be plunged into a world where technology took off on a path based around magic, rather than science, to roughly the same level of technology as the early 1900s, although with a lot more fantasy-esque inventions that don't have counterparts in the real world.

Players will play as mercenaries employed by the Union, attempting to push back the Automaton King's army of automatons through subterfuge and infiltration. Many of these missions will be along the lines of kidnapping or assassinating human leaders of the army, spying on meetings, stealing documents, or destroying facilities.

The roleplay is planned to take the form of an action-adventure roleplay, with some mild horror aspects sprinkled in every so often.​

Rules/expectations/etc:

*The GM's word is law. I try my best to remain impartial. If you have an issue with a decision, DM me and we can discuss it. I'm happy to explain a decision, but I'm not willing to debate rule dynamics.
*Discussion is fine as long as it is friendly. If someone asks you to stop, however, I ask that you either drop the subject or move to a DM.
*Be active. I'll expect everyone to post at least once a week, but more often means that the story will move along more quickly.
*If you fail to post for over 1 week, I'll send you a DM or a ping on discord to ask about it.
*If you fail to post for 2 weeks, you will receive a warning, unless we have communicated about a reason why you aren't able to post.
*If you fail to post for 3 weeks, or you rack up over three warnings in under three months, you will be kicked from the roleplay, unless we've discussed a reason why you aren't able to post.
*Posts are expected to be at least one paragraph of 3-4 sentences. However, if you find yourself struggling to make this, please let me know and we can discuss it.
*Players may create multiple characters, but I ask that you speak to me before doing so.
*Posts are expected to contain no cellphone language. It doesn't fit the setting, and it breaks immersion.
*I will be writing up more detailed lore in the lore link (currently nonexistent) in the header, and if more than one or two people express interest, I'll put up a discord server.
*If you have questions, please feel free to ask below. I'm more than happy to expand on the universe as people have questions.
*Depending on how much interest is generated, I may end up looking for a co-GM.
*Both realistic and anime/drawn faceclaims will be allowed.

Last edited:
I'm very interested. Are all automatons the same design/model, or are there a variety of different types and specialized classes?

There are a few different models, but a vast majority are mass-produced frontline units. I intend to write up a lore segment where I'll get to describing a few them if I see that there's interest. Probably if another person or two express interest, I'll put it on my to-do list.

Reactions: Ur Degaton
Threw up a discord. If you want to chat/have questions, feel free to join and I'll be happy to answer them. I'm also hoping to get a lore post going later today or tomorrow.