The Art of Magic: OOC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starting off with a week sounds good to me. I plan to get ahead in my work, so that should leave me with enough time to do some RPs here and there.

Awesome!!

I work all day Saturday and half the day Sunday, but I should be able to have something up by the end of the weekend. A week works, but that does seem a little too long to wait for a round to finish. Personally, I'd say 4 days would be ideal, with 5 days being the longest I'd want to wait.

Hmm a week should be fine for me but I could try and make adjustments in my schedule if a smaller time constraint would be preferable for the majority, also; I'll try and keep everyone updated in the OOC if something happens to pop up that keeps me occupied or well... Down for the count in terms of roleplaying over the time constaint o.o

Well, since there's space now, I should probably throw up a CS before the thread explodes again. :D

GENERAL CHARACTER STATISTICS

Character Name: Saemon Malo
Orientation: Straight
Species/Race: Human
Birthplace: Lysteria
More:

PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS

General Appearance:
__New_GUY_OC___by_F_AYN_T.jpg
Saemon stands at around 5'7" and weighs approximately 120lbs, making him quite small and lean for his age. After leaving his monastery home, he automatically decided to swap out his traditional garbs for something far more modern, and to grow his hair out.

Mana Nature: Ghost
Natural Talent: Knowledge
More:

MENTAL CHARACTERISTICS

Current Goal/Purpose: He wants to reunite with and surpass his childhood rival, and he wants to become the absolute best mage in his class.
Non-magical Talents: Organization, Chess, Cooking, Brewing Tea, Martial Arts, Massages, Concealing emotion
Inabilities: Opening containers (bottles, jars, ketchup packs, etc.), admitting weakness or defeat, asking for help
Fears: Being outdone by someone else, getting anything lower than a 95 on anything, being publicly humiliated
General Personality: Saemon is a driven individual who will use any means necessary to be the best. He is kind, wise, and is always ready to help someone in need. His sense of humor can be quite dry at times, and has a tendency to say outlandish things without fully thinking first.
Inner Personality: Saemon can't stand to have someone that is better than him in any aspect; he is completely consumed by his competitive nature and goal of being number one. Playing second fiddle to another brings out his incredibly jealous and obsessive side. He has a strong contempt for any weakness he may have, since he believes it is a result of him not trying hard enough. Saemon also stresses incredibly easy; he is known to forgo days of sleep before a quiz due to being so worked up about it. In short, and inferiority complex.
Secret: Saemon sabotaged a duel against his rival by sneaking him a light sedative in his breakfast the morning of, giving him the unfair advantage he needed to finally win.
More:

HISTORIC BACKGROUND

General History: Saemon was raised in a monastery nestled in the sharp peaks of the Lysterian mountains. It was here where he originally discovered and began using his Ghost mana nature. He was also able to integrate it with the style of Martial Arts trained at the temple. Often bored and dissatisfied with the calmness that is monk life, he and the other children often took to the sparring fields to blow off any excess energy they had. Saemon quickly established himself as one of the dominant forces of the playground. However, he was always considered second place due to another boy being slightly stronger than he...

His name was Kieran Shane: a slightly older boy that was always able to just barely defeat Saemon in a one v one duel. This, of course, brought more attention and praise to Kieran rather that Saemon, since the former was simply better. Due to his fiercely competitive nature, this fact absolutely infuriated Saemon to no end. Thus began their epic rivalry, and consequently a deep friendship. They hardly went a day without glaring at each other, but would always smile afterwards. This continued for the rest of their time together at the monastery.

Present Life: The status quo of Saemon's life was changed when Kieran announced that he was leaving the temple. Now approaching their twenties, the two boys were old enough to set out on their own without worrying the elder monks. Up until this point, Saemon could never truly defeat his friend in combat, and he was determined to get at least one win before he left to who-knows where. Living in Kieran's shadow for so long gradually instilled a dark insecurity within Saemon. If he couldn't beat him now, then he would never be good enough. Knowing that he would accept, Saemon challenged his eternal rival to one final duel. Unbeknownst to Kieran, however, was that Saemon drugged his breakfast with a light sedative the morning of the fight. The final showdown lasted for literally hours, but Saemon eventually claimed victory due to his unfair advantage. To his surprise, Kieran accepted his defeat quite humbly, actually congratulated Saemon, and left the temple with a smile. Saemon has yet to see him again.

Strangely enough, his final conquest did not feel as great as Saemon first expected it to be. In fact, he felt the slightest pang of guilt for cheating, something he never thought he'd experience. It was at this point where Saemon received his invitation to Red Star Academy, which he promptly accepted. He would use this opportunity to follow Kieran to the outside world, hone his skills, track him down, and beat him again. This time, however, it would be done fairly and with honor.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, as promised, the RP starts today! The IC is up, and all characters are in. I would like to give a gentle reminder to people to make the changes discussed in the audition to your character sheet if you haven't already(especially regarding mana nature). As you can see, based on what people have said they wanted in the thread, we will have 5 day long rounds, and the current round will cover the in game time between 8:30 and 9:00. Please work together to coordinate your characters. If there are any questions, I will gladly receive them. Lets have a lot of fun, and get some action going this weekend!

https://www.iwakuroleplay.com/threads/the-art-of-magic-ic.69523/ (this link is also on the OP)

So, Laika is coming by plane. Does anyone want to run into her before class starts?

As one of the replacement players, it's probably important I post a character sheet, so consider it posted!

GENERAL CHARACTER STATISTICS

Character Name: Noémi Mercier
Orientation: Pansexual
Species/Race: Human
Birthplace: Gaul

PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS

General Appearance: imageanime.jpg
Mana Nature: Electricity Magic
Natural Talent: Power

MENTAL CHARACTERISTICS

Current Goal/Purpose: To be the most powerful mage, in terms of sheer raw magic power.
Non-magical Talents: Playing the violin, acting, and singing.
Inabilities: Terrible at magic control, nonmagic she is very poor in social situations, lacks coordination and poise and balance, is very clumsy.
Fears: Is afraid of being without magic, also is terrified of not being respected or admired. Dogs also freak her out.
General Personality: INCREDIBLY Tsundere, Noémi is haughty, stuck up, and is convinced that she is superior to those around her. She comes from nobility and shows it in her actions and conversations with others, always looking down on those she feels are inferior to her. Not many people want to be her friend as a result of this however.
Inner Personality: Noémi is always trying her hardest to impress the people around her. From her upbringing, she was taught always to be the best, taught that she is better than those around her purely by her birth. She wants to show the people around her just how good she can be, always striving for perfection to try and live up to the expectations forced upon her. She doesn't know much about basic social interactions with others, and while she does care for others, their own feelings and aspirations, she doesn't know how to show it, and often focuses too much on how they see her.
Secret: Noémi wishes she could throw away her magic, not having to deal with the pressure of having to be a great mage to gain her family's respect. Barring that, she would like nothing more than to violently murder the people who shamed her and her family.

HISTORIC BACKGROUND

General History: Noémi was born to one of Gaul's most prestigious noble houses, a line that can be traced back to some of the oldest and most famous of the magi. Her family always took great pride in this fact, and made sure that everyone born in their line was an accomplished mage with strict upbringing and the best education possible. The Merciers also used magic to ensure that there would be one male per generation, who would become the new head of the family each generation, the females were usually were shipped off as arranged marriages to other families to establish ties with them, and help cement their own reputation. However, on the generation Noémi was born, the wife of the head of the family (her mother) died after giving birth to her, with no male sibling. Her father tried to remarry, to ensure a male heir, but was getting old, and the new woman he remarried was incapable of giving birth.

Due to this, there was heavy bickering in the Mercier family on to who would become the next head of the family. Noémi's stepuncles all wanted their own place at the top of the country's biggest family. Noémi's father suggested that they simply allow Noémi to become head when she grew up, but the rest of the family did not want a female leading them. As a result, the uncles plotted to wed Noémi themselves, thus making themselves the male heir and inheriting the family. When Noémi's father, the current head found out their plans, he disowned them from the family. Enraged, the noble families that they had come from withdrew their support for the Mercier family, and it fell from one of the most influential families to one of these least in only a few short years.

Noémi grew up blamed by the servants and rest of the family for their fall from grace, even though it had not been her fault. Only her father was sympathetic to her, but he came down with a disease that threatened his life, and the best doctors of the country refused to treat him, having been hired by the other families to refuse aid to him. Noémi was convinced that their family issues and her father's illness was her fault, and vowed to fix all the problems herself, as his only daughter and child.

Present Life: Noémi spent most of her late childhood and teens growing up in the disgraced Mercier family. While they still had a lot of land and wealth, they did not have the luxuries they used to have without the support of other noble families. When Noémi came of age, and was ready to begin a magical education, the other families pulled their weight to have her rejected from most of the influential magi teaching institutes. Noémi still wanted her magical education, and so applied (and was accepted) to Red Star, promising to come back to her ailing father and take over the family as a proper mage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm inclined to have Dax not interact with anybody for this first round, simply because it covers the half an hour between exiting the assembly and finding your way to your classes. That's not a time that Dax is likely to talk to anyone, just move quietly through the crowd and get to class. Unless somebody wants to have their character talk to Dax this round, in which case just let me know, I'll probably just put together a solo post for this one :)

I'm inclined to have Dax not interact with anybody for this first round, simply because it covers the half an hour between exiting the assembly and finding your way to your classes. That's not a time that Dax is likely to talk to anyone, just move quietly through the crowd and get to class. Unless somebody wants to have their character talk to Dax this round, in which case just let me know, I'll probably just put together a solo post for this one :)
No worries. Historically everyone has waited till classes and introduction before grouping up. I just like keeping my options open and being vocal.

Hey guys, so I have a lot of work to be done later, and I won't be able to send out posts later. So if anyone minds doing a collab with me, that'd be wonderful.

So we are starting on our way to our first class. I think I can handle that

I can collaborate with you Thundor, though it isn't likely that we'll be on at the same time.

Best way to collab is through conversations or doing a google doc so that we don't have to be on at the same time.

So, announcement. I've been thinking about adding a field to the character for what they are currently wearing so that we have something to easily reference what the character currently looks like, as opposed to whatever they were wearing in the picture you used.

Additionally, I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas/questions they wanted to present. I want to try out a lot of things to make my RPs better, so consider yourself both my of my R&D and guinea pig squadrons.

Finally, I want to pair everyone into dorms before this RP really gets going. We have some freedom to change this in the future, but I want everyone to have some voice in which character they are paired with initially. Note, the dorms are co-ed to encourage socializing shenanigans diversity, so don't limit yourself.

Lets have some OOC chatter!

Hmm, tough one o.o not sure who I'd like to be paired up with in terms of dorms but that new field seems nice :3 I could probably think up something else my character wears (even though that will take a little time >.<)

Currently wearing sounds good :)

Stick Dax in with anyone, doesn't really matter. He's the type to request an assigned room rather than a certain person, so yeah.

Best way to collab is through conversations or doing a google doc so that we don't have to be on at the same time.
Um, okay?

So, announcement. I've been thinking about adding a field to the character for what they are currently wearing so that we have something to easily reference what the character currently looks like, as opposed to whatever they were wearing in the picture you used.

Additionally, I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas/questions they wanted to present. I want to try out a lot of things to make my RPs better, so consider yourself both my of my R&D and guinea pig squadrons.

Finally, I want to pair everyone into dorms before this RP really gets going. We have some freedom to change this in the future, but I want everyone to have some voice in which character they are paired with initially. Note, the dorms are co-ed to encourage socializing shenanigans diversity, so don't limit yourself.

Lets have some OOC chatter!
Gah. I don't know on this one. I'm bad with clothes, and I can't think of someone I'd pair up with. Maybe if you put up some suggestions, like, some pairings for us and see if we like them? I say this cuz it sounds like most are neutral or don't want to hurt someone's feelings. (Your the GM, they won't hate you for choosing for me -- I mean, for all of us! Ha ha, ha ha!)

Gah. I don't know on this one. I'm bad with clothes, and I can't think of someone I'd pair up with. Maybe if you put up some suggestions, like, some pairings for us and see if we like them? I say this cuz it sounds like most are neutral or don't want to hurt someone's feelings. (Your the GM, they won't hate you for choosing for me -- I mean, for all of us! Ha ha, ha ha!)
If you aren't big on clothes, feel free to ask for help, or just wear the same thing all the time. I'm going to allow any combination of pictures and words in order to convey the appearance, though this also means this field will be in the form of a hider.

Status
Not open for further replies.