The Art of Magic: OOC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has there been an empty post with cs yet that I can fill out? ~
Also, I'm guessing anime pictures are what we're using? ~

Has there been an empty post with cs yet that I can fill out? ~
Also, I'm guessing anime pictures are what we're using? ~
The CS is located in the essential information with other goodies that you will want to read. And, while I use anime pictures, there is no restriction on what type of media you use. If you would like, you can use purely text.

I mean one that is blank, without the information you have next to each thing needed to be filled out.
I use iwaku on my phone, so it's easier for me to copy and paste an empty set up then type it all out by scrolling back and forth to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Character Name:
Species/Race:
More:

PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS

General Appearance:
Mana Nature:
Natural Talent:
More:

MENTAL CHARACTERISTICS

Current Goal/Purpose:
Non-magical Talents:
Inabilities:
Fears:
General Personality:
Inner Personality:
Secret:
More:

HISTORIC BACKGROUND

General History:
Present Life:

@Kythii Darastrix

There you go ^_^

Is there a restriction on races?
There's human, neko, then etc.
But is there limits to etc?
I will play a human, but I always prefer otherwise :3
Although so far everyone is human o.o
I think~

Is there a restriction on races?
There's human, neko, then etc.
But is there limits to etc?
I will play a human, but I always prefer otherwise :3
Although so far everyone is human o.o
I think~
No restrictions on non-powered races, if you want to play a race which has access to special abilities or has physical/mental advantages that aren't balanced by a disadvantage then I'm willing to negotiate.

So a character that has wings would need what type of disadvantage? Would the wings be a disadvantage, since they would cause the character to stick out? Would a winged character be obviously recognizable as someone not descended from the Magi?

So a character that has wings would need what type of disadvantage? Would the wings be a disadvantage, since they would cause the character to stick out? Would a winged character be obviously recognizable as someone not descended from the Magi?
Well, in order to fly(without magic), your body would need to be fundamentally different. You can't have a lot of excess weight. Perhaps your character's bones are less dense, and therefore less able to withstand impact. That seems like a fair trade off.

Though also, the Magi was a group, not any particular race. You actually can't tell if someone is or isn't descended except through genealogy. That is why people who were connected to the Magi keep detailed records of their heritage.

If the game is meant to "allow an extensive amount of races" why are humans the default? What are the humans inherited weaknesses? Isn't having an extensive amount of races a setting point? Does a character who has feline characteristics or wings have that great of an advantage over human characters in our normal game play? Do wings make a character better in the classes we'll be attending?

I'm not disagreeing, I'm just trying to fully explore the assumption that the races need to be balanced.

If the game is meant to "allow an extensive amount of races" why are humans the default? What are the humans inherited weaknesses? Isn't having an extensive amount of races a setting point? Does a character who has feline characteristics or wings have that great of an advantage over human characters in our normal game play? Do wings make a character better in the classes we'll be attending?

I'm not disagreeing, I'm just trying to fully explore the assumption that the races need to be balanced.
You seem to have a misunderstanding. Humans are by no means the default. They just serve as an easy basis of comparison, since we actually know what humans behave like. I could just as easily say you can make any race with the same power balance as an elf. And even if you don't want to play a race that is balanced, I will let you do that, but I'm not going to blanket pass it either. With the balanced races, I know they don't cause problems in the player dynamic, but powered races are a different story and need to be looked at on a case-by-case basis. While I will probably be fine with what you submit, I want to make it clear that it is up to me if I allow a powered race in.

And just to make my stance clear: If I feel an advantage would create a bad dynamic, then I will reject it. I'm not infallible, but I think at the very least I have enough experience to recognize potential problems.

I promise, I'm not trying to stop you from making the character you want. I want you to win, and I want this RP to be a win. That is the only motive that will ever drive my actions as GM.

Right. It isn't that I don't want to play a "balanced" character. I'm just looking for more information.

I'm trying to get a better understanding of what you're wanting and what the setting is about. There's a lot of open-endlessness, from an innumerable number of races that we can chose from to an indefinite number of places we can have our character come from.

Right. It isn't that I don't want to play a "balanced" character. I'm just looking for more information.

I'm trying to get a better understanding of what you're wanting and what the setting is about. There's a lot of open-endlessness, from an innumerable number of races that we can chose from to an indefinite number of places we can have our character come from.
True. I'm giving you the creative freedom to decide where your character came from and what their story is. The world of TAoM was made with many blanks to be filled. It is my job to coordinate your vision so that it can become a value add to the RP. This is part of that player freedom I've promised. Make your vision, and I'll work with you fit it into the world.

Character Name: Mika Minami

Orientation: Bi-Curious

Species/Race: Lamia

Birthplace: Shuravalley

More:

PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS
tumblr_nb1qerHS0E1s79k8ho1_500.jpg
General Appearance: Mika has the upperbody of a woman and the lowerbody of a snake. Her scales and hair both have a light pink pigmentation which carries over slightly to her pale skin, giving it a slight pinkish hue as well. Mika has yellow eyes with pupils similar in shape to a snake's. From head to tail Mika is approximately 24 feet long.

Mana Nature: Water

Natural Talent: Knowledge

More: Mika has already learned some healing magic from her mother.

MENTAL CHARACTERISTICS

Current Goal/Purpose: Learn more about other races and world in general and learn some type of healing magic to help her mother, and possibly others

Non-magical Talents: Singing, Writing

Inabilities: Racial: Cold blooded-sluggish in colder environments, Bad with kids
Personal: Time Management,

Fears: Racial: Tight Spaces, Fire
Personal: Loneliness,

General Personality: Mika generally comes off as easy going, intelligent, and agreeable, however, when she is the only Lamia around she becomes very self conscious and uncomfortable. Mika often assumes others think negative things of her appearance and this often causes her to become withdrawn and shy. Mika's previous interactions with other races have made her socially capable, but when she notices others staring at her she will become very uncomfortable.

Inner Personality: Mika is easily distracted. She is extremely curious and her mind will wander even from the simplest triggers. Mika catches herself daydreaming all the time.

Secret: Mika is easily and frequently distracted by lust.

More:

HISTORIC BACKGROUND

General History: Soon after Mika was born her mother killed her father and moved from their house in town to a cave in the nearby forest. Mika doesn't remember her father and has never actually asked her mother why she killed him. Rather, she lived alone with her mother who was very protective of her. Mika was sheltered from the outside world almost entirely. For much of her childhood the only time she ever saw anybody besides her mother was when she would sneak far enough away from their house in the woods to see somebody passing by. Mika's mother taught her how to speak, read, and write, as well as a small amount of water based healing magic. From a young age Mika's curiosity about the outside world kept her mind wondering, she would often day dream about the world outside of the forest and it became a hobby of her's to write about how she imagined the world. As she saw more of the world she began to formulate these theories into stories of fantasy, writing all sorts of short stories in her spare time. Among other things Mika did in her free time she taught herself to sing, using an old song book her mother brought back from town one day.

Present Life: As Mika hit her late teens her mother become seriously ill and Mika took over most of the house work as well as going into the nearby town to shop for her mother, who refused help from anybody besides her daughter. This is where she first began to interact with others. Mika struggled in the nearby town due to the lack of exposure to others, the town being almost entirely human in population, Mika stood out and the looks she received from others made her extremely uncomfortable. Mika was a poor cook so she often stopped at a diner close to the edge of the city to pick up dinner, she made decent friends with one of the owners of this diner she stopped at consistently. Mika began to spend more and more time with the man whom she felt relaxed around. She talked with him about her day to day life and the situation her mother was in. One day when Mika came into the shop the man had a letter he had gotten for her somehow from the Red Star academy where she is headed currently in hopes of learning a way to help her mother out.

Last edited by a moderator:
GENERAL CHARACTER STATISTICS

Character Name: Celea Am'kiir
Orientation: Heterosexual
Species/Race: Avian
Birthplace: Nevaeh
More: ???

PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS

General Appearance: At 5'7" Celea is a lithe, statuesque young woman with graceful feminine curves and long toned arms. Her bright red hair falls to the small of her back and pools between the large white feathered, bird-like wings which sprout from her shoulder blades and end even with her knees. Her emerald-green eyes are set into a beautifully slender face which features high cheekbones, a hawk-like nose, and sensual plump lips that seem to naturally form in a semblance of a pout. Celea typically wears garments which cling to her body and have low cut backs. Her petite and well manicured feet are just as often bare as covered in calf-high boots with an inch heel. She moves with an unearthly grace, and speaks and sings with a heavenly voice. (still looking for picture)
Mana Nature: Shadow
Natural Talent: Accuracy
More: ?? (more what?)

MENTAL CHARACTERISTICS

Current Goal/Purpose: To attend school, master her magic, make her family proud, and figure out what career she wants to pursue.
Non-magical Talents: Singing, dancing, archery, and fixing machines.
Inabilities: Celea's punctuality is horrible; she daydreams often; procrastinates; can't swim; and is really bad at homework.
Fears: Being stuck in a career she hates; being unable to fly; losing her wings; large, deep bodies of water; suffocating; and getting expelled from school.
General Personality: To the world, Celea seems to be a respectful and courteous young woman who values her family and friends. She is sincere and compassionate to others and seems to listen carefully to their problems.
Inner Personality: Celea can't wait to be on her own and away from her family's influence. She wishes she knew what she wanted to do with her life, and feels inadequate for not knowing. She feels pressured by her family to act a certain way, and wishes that she could simply behave the way she desired without feeling the need to concern herself with what was best for the family. She also desires to be left alone and enjoys when someone listens to her as carefully as she listens to them.
Secret: Celea often thinks about flying as high as she can and then simply allowing herself to fall.
More: ???

HISTORIC BACKGROUND

General History: Celea was born to Uriel and Micah Am'kiir, two popular and prestigious community leaders in the city of Nevaeh. She was raised by a strict, yet caring, governess, her parents too busy with their other commitments and priorities. As soon as Celea was able to walk, she was assigned tutors to instruct her in the history of her family who were descended from Magi, and her race, among other things. She was taught from a young age to be polite and courteous and to rarely speak her mind in public. She was an only child, with her governess and tutors as her only friends, and lead a fairly sheltered and solitary life, only brought forth to be seen by her parents' sides on special occasions. The one exception to this was when her parents, together, decided to teach her to fly.

As she grew older yet, other children, hand-picked by her parents, were allowed to come and socialize with her, always under her governess' watchful eye. Things changed slowly and Celea was granted more freedoms, though with the strictest of punishments should she fall outside the guidelines set upon her. As with most children, Celea did her best to rebel and sought her own independence, yet those attempts were cause for some of the strictest and most painful lessons of her young life. She soon learned that it was better to do as told than disappoint the people who claimed to love her.

In high school, she was the girl who everyone knew without really knowing. The popularity she enjoyed, due to who her parents were, was of little comfort, especially when she was unable to socialize with her classmates outside of school. Still, she enjoyed the attention it provided her and was able to forge a few friendships.

Present Life: Celea was always expected to graduate high school and attend a magical academy. Therefore, when she graduated high school it was nothing grand or special. Her invitation to the Red Star Academy, however, was something the family could appreciate. Her parents saw it as a way to dissuade the growing rumors that they were classicists. In the days approaching her arrival at the Academy, Celea was instructed upon how to act and who to associate with. She was an adult now and was expected to carry her weight and uphold the family's commitments. It became very clear that while not immediately within her parents' grasp, the Academy was not a new found lease to the freedom Celea desired and that if she placed a foot out-of-line there would be much to answer for.

Last edited by a moderator:
E_928lanox_Jd_EEZSKQZGYjl_I6e0d_JTVl_STU8_Pq6iozc_WUIFg.jpg

Dallen.jpg

General_Character_Statistics.jpg

Character Name: Dallen "Dax" Celia
Orientation: Bisexual
Species/Race: Human
Birthplace: Taraseh
Family: Mother (alive) - Eveleen Celia, 38; Father - Unknown; Stepfather (alive) - Holden Celia; Half-brother (alive) - Broderick Celia, 19; Half-sister (alive) - Adelpha, 18; Half-sister (alive) - Minya, 16; Half-sister (deceased) - Kiara, died at 14 (would be 16 now, twin of Minya)

Physical_Characteristics.jpg

General Appearance: Dax is about six feet tall and very slender. He is light skinned and his hair is straight, dark brown, and slightly shaggy, with bangs hanging just above his eyes. His eyes are his most unique feature because they are glazed over with white. He has an average, slightly bulky nose and somewhat full lips. He typically wears simple clothing, nothing fancy or decorative or graphic or unique at all.
Mana Nature: Picture
Natural Talent: Intelligence

Mental_Characteristics.jpg

Current Goal/Purpose: Dax wishes to discover his father's identity and learn why his mother won't tell him anything about his father. He also wishes to extend his knowledge of magic, hence why he's attending the Academy - his ultimate goal is to improve his magic enough that he can, essentially, see without needing to see, and do work with the police using his powers.
Non-magical Talents: Dax is good at perspective drawing even though he can't see. He's very observant and good at noticing little things and details (not visually, obviously), and he has a very sharp memory when it comes to these details. He can smell water, he can wiggle his ears, and he can write upside-down and rightside-up at normal speed with very few errors or awkward-looking letters. He can also say the alphabet backwards faster than he can say it forwards. He's also really good at swimming, shuffling cards, and skipping stones on water.
Inabilities: Dax has tried to learn to read Braille, but he can't. He can't keep a plant alive for the life of him, he has tried to learn how to bake but he can't, and his jokes are really lame. He doesn't know how to tie a bowtie, he's tried to learn a second language but failed, and he can't start a campfire - he can keep it going, he just can't make it start.
Fears: As a child, Dax was afraid of the dark, but he's made it past that. Like any sensible person, Dax is afraid of murderers, serial killers, sinking ships, crashing vehicles, and falling from any height. He's also afraid of amnesia, wasps, dying, and finding out that he's infertile. Crowds and unsolicited touching make him uncomfortable. He's not quite afraid of thunder, but it startles him easily.
General Personality: Dax comes across as quiet, cold, and stoic. He's not very sociable, and he really only seems to talk when he has a question, or when he's spoken to first. He's clearly very intelligent and talented, but he doesn't seem keen on sharing that with strangers.
Inner Personality: Dax is an inquisitive mind. He loves to learn more, to listen to others, to observe, and to find things out. He doesn't talk much, simply because he's too busy observing what's going on around him. He likes to ask questions when he can, but he's wary of strangers, especially when he doesn't know anything about their intellectual capacity.
Secret: When Dax was six, his mum got a kitten for his sister Adelpha and Dax put it in a jar and rolled it down the stairs. He also once bent a spoon so far that it snapped in half, so he buried it in the back yard so no one would ever find out. When he was eight he accidentally broke a window with a rock and pretended that he didn't know what had happened. Broderick ended up getting in trouble for it. And one time, when Dax was nineteen, he was home alone with his little sister Kiara - their mum had taken Broderick to check out a university and Adelpha had wanted to tag along; Minya was at a friend's house - and Kiara told him that she wanted to kill herself. Dax didn't believe her, and told her that wasn't something to joke about. Kiara didn't say anything more about it, but a week later, Adelpha came home from school and found that Kiara had done it. Dax has never told anyone that she told him, and the rest of the family, to this day, doesn't know why she did it.

Historic_Background.jpg

General History: Dax was born blind. His father was never a part of his life, but he doesn't know why - whether his parents broke up before he was born, whether he was the result of a one-night stand, or a rape… His mum always refused to tell him anything about his father.
He was two when his mum - nineteen years old at the time - met his stepfather, Holden. They got married after Dax's brother, Broderick, was born, and their oldest sister, Adelpha, was born as a result of their wedding night. They waited two years before having any more children, taking time to focus on the three they already had, and once the little ones had all moved past the baby phases and could walk and talk, they had the twins, Kiara and Minya.
Dax was a curious, explorative, and somewhat troublesome child. He always wanted to learn more and the things he did didn't always make sense - of course, to him they did. He experimented and toyed around with all sorts of things to learn more about them.
Dax's abilities started coming in when he was nine. Whenever people described things to him, he discovered that he started seeing flashes of what they were describing as if he was seeing it himself, through their eyes. He requested that his family tell him descriptive stories as much as possible, and soon found that he could make it happen. He could control the powers, and with a little practice, he found that he didn't even need thorough description - he could see things as people related them to him, with all the details even if they didn't give them to him.
Dax was a bit of a loser as a teenager; people didn't seem to like him for some reason, so he spent his time alone, working on practicing his magical powers. People probably would have warmed up to him if he took the time to try, but he couldn't be bothered with investing the time and effort into making friends. His teachers at school found his powers useful and would often have him help them handle situations - if two kids got in a fight, they would relate their story to Dax and he would tell the teachers exactly what had happened, as he could see every detail, even the ones they omitted or lied about. As unpopular as Dax was, this only made him more unlikeable.
As described under the "secret", Dax was nineteen and was just about to finish high school category when his little sister Kiara told him that she wanted to kill herself. He didn't believe her, but a week later, she did - and when Adelpha relayed the story back to her parents of how she found Kiara, Dax had to watch the scene through her eyes. There was no note, so they never found out why she did it, but Dax now carries the weight of the world on his shoulders because he feels like he could have stopped her if he had just listened.
Present Life: After finishing high school, Dax found himself unsure what he wanted to do with his life. He was occasionally paid by the government and police to act as a lie detector, listening to criminals relate their stories and telling the courts exactly what happened, but he wants to do more. There were a number of judges who didn't believe in his powers or weren't interested in trusting the judgement of one person claiming these powers, so he wants to get a higher education, develop his powers further, and become respected enough - a lawyer, a businessman, a doctor, something like that - to continue his work without being questioned. He likes helping and bringing justice to criminals, and preventing other crimes from taking place, so he wants to be able to continue to do this work. He also wants to find out who his father was. He was ecstatic when he received the letter from the Academy, and has decided to attend in order to develop his powers.

Last edited:
GENERAL CHARACTER STATISTICS

Character Name: Haruka Yoshi
Orientation: Straight (this can change if he has feelings strong enough for the same gender which has yet to happen if at all)
Species/Race: Human
Birthplace: Avarus
More: N/A (May be added later)

PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS

General Appearance:
Wizzard1.jpg

Mana Nature: Sunlight
Natural Talent: Knowledge
More: N/A

MENTAL CHARACTERISTICS

Current Goal/Purpose: Reduce segregation as much as possible between descendants of the Magi and the nondescendants if not completely eliminate (which would be close to impossible to do).

Non-magical Talents: Drawing, strategizing, problem solving

Inabilities: Heavy lifting, making direct eye contact with the opposite gender

Fears: Darkness, failure of his current goal

General Personality: He's often a good sport but likes to hang out on his own most of the time, he tends to be kind whenever approached to both magi and non-magi descendants trying his best to peacefully moderate any conflict between the two. Most think he's just a peace loving Magi descendant who feels pity for the non-descendants which is due to his behavior around the general public. His previous teachers think of him as an excellent student despite his obvious lack of social activity and alot of emotional expression most of the time. Often times his "fellow" Magi descendants tend to discourage him from "going easy" on the non-Magis which doesn't really put a stop to his behavior.

Inner Personality: He has relation and secret compassion for most victims of segregation, he believes that the Magi descendants are in no way superior to the non-magi ones just because of their heritage despite the impression he gives whenever he's around other Magi descendants (which is pretty much most of the time.). He is deep down a pacifist that prefers nothing more than to solve a situation peacefully only really engaging in or getting into a conflict if it's truly for the better good (which is to resolve other conflicts without too many bad consequences) this can lead to selflessness if he deems this neccesary for his cause nad he isn't convinced otherwise in time.

Secret: He is possibly a Non-Magi as his parents have eventually admitted that he had been adopted by them at an orphanage and they were known to lie about heritages sometimes.

More: N/A

HISTORIC BACKGROUND

General History: He was born by parents who weren't of Magi heritage, but it wasn't long before they were taken from him by reasons still unknown to date. His early infant self was found and adopted by an orphanage owner who claimed he was of Magi descendance to get him to be adopted faster. His parents were rather suspicious of his heritage despite what the owner said but took him in stating they would return him if "He seems to weak to be what you say he is.", to their relief he fit in rather well with the rest of "his kind" as his parents put it and was treasured especially for his knowledge. He had always felt bad though whenever discrimination happened to the non-magi descendants and never really actively partook in direct public discrimination of them, this feeling built up to the point where he just started hanging out by himself all together to avoid situations where he was pressured non-stop to "join the fun" and "stop being such a softie".

Present Life: Eventually he recieved a letter from the Red Star Academy and reading through it, it sure didn't seem like a bad place to attend as he was definitely lacking a place to go for College like his parents incessantly insisted on after he had passed high school. He was hoping the school environment itself would at least be less of a warground between te Magis and the non-Magis though he knew at least minor conflicts would happen here and there. The new environment itself made him nervous yet hopeful really, and he figured the environment couldn't be much worse than the one he was in right now if any (segregation wise).

Last edited:
So, as promised yesterday, TAoM is no longer accepting characters, and those who have not turned in a character yet are likely to be dropped for new players. The RP can begin as soon as auditions for the characters are complete, so make sure you are timely with completing those. This has been quite a long time for an RP launch, so I know you aren't quite as excited for this RP as you were when you first joined, but just push through a little more and we will finally be ready to start.

Also, I'd like to apologize. This message was supposed to be up at midnight, but my labtop has been showing its age lately with loose parts. I couldn't get it to function timely, and it was too late to go out to use a school or library computer.

So, I've given everyone plenty of time, probably more than I should have, but now it is time to get the ball rolling. We are starting Saturday without fail, regardless of who is ready. I won't drop anyone for not completing their audition in time, but I will start without you as an incentive to speed the process along. In addition, everyone without a character submitted has been dropped, and their spaces are being filled by the people who displayed interest.

Also, now that everyone has more or less an idea of how busy they will be with school/work/whatever, I want to determine how long our rounds will be. Right now, I think a weekly round is ideal, but I want to hear what would be best for each player individually. I want to make clear that the round is only the maximum amount of time that we can spend on a round. If everyone is in a post frenzy, we might advance the round much faster. Also, please don't change your answer to agree with mine. I want to make an RP which everyone enjoys, and to do that I need honest answers. With that said, I'd like everyone to post the longest time they want to wait for a round to pass. Lets have lots of fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.