3. 1-3 posts per week
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
  2. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Anything with magic, though I'm open to just about anything.
Since this is an interest check, I'm going to avoid giving a lot of details. Instead, I'm going to give you a few bullet points of what to expect from this RP. If you have any questions about anything(especially if it is about unlisted details you are interested in), feel free to post here or shoot me a PM.

• The Art of Magic (TAoM) is a slice of life RP about people learning magic.
  • TAoM takes place in a modern fantasy setting.
  • In TAoM, magic is an integral part of the world's functioning.
  • What to expect from the plot: attending classes, social interaction, magic (duh), tests, and events.
  • TAoM will allow an extensive amount of races.
  • You are allowed only one character.
  • Only 5-7 players (excluding myself) will be accepted into TAoM at any given time.
  • TAoM has a lot of player freedom. I will constantly be looking for player input, and it will make a profound impact on how this RP is run.
  • TAoM will be a fairly systematic roleplay, so while I offer lots of player freedom, there is also going to be a lot to keep track of.
  • TAoM requires players to be extremely vocal. If you aren't discussing your plans with the other players, you will find this RP very frustrating.
  • TAoM will use a specific round system.
A round system works by allowing players to post once per round. A new round won't start until a predetermined number of days have past, or every player has posted. The "specific" in specific round system, just means that each round lasts a certain amount of in-game time. For example, one round might have players post about what their characters did the past 4 hours. This usually equates to a lot of collaborative posts.
  • TAoM will require both a character sheet and audition to get in
I don't audition because I am a grammar snob, nor because I want to exclude people. In fact, it is fairly unlikely that I will reject anyone based on their audition. Rather, the audition post serves to meet completely different ends. In particular, there are 4 reasons I require an audition.

1. It reassures me that you are committed to this RP, and actually have plans to become a part of it. There are many people who copypasta the same CS they made years ago to every RP they might want to join. These people complete a character sheet, get accepted, then make 0-1 posts before losing interest entirely. I don't want these types of people. I only want committed roleplayers.
  2. It gives me an understanding of how you will play your character, and possibly yourself as well. When people first create a character, it is still just an idea in their head. When they actually play it out, it sometimes radically changes their vision for the character. Rather than discovering this during the early stages of the RP, the audition gives you a chance to become at least a little familiar with your character.
  3. It gives me an understanding of your writing style, as well as your expectations for the RP. If I notice that you bring in a character that doesn't mesh with the RP or notice you have a fundamental misunderstanding of TAoM's world, this is a good time for me to clear things up. Also, if I notice you are weak in certain areas, I'll be able to help you improve.
  4. My roleplays are not like most roleplays, and people need to come in direct contact with how they work to understand if the way I operate is good for them. This RP in particular is using a system that I haven't tested to my satisfaction. I don't want you to feel stuck in my RP. The audition is a good place for you to decide if you like the way I operate.
The most important thing to take away from this is that you do not need to fear failing the audition, nor submitting a character sheet that doesn't meet my standards. If you want in, I'm always willing to accept players with the want to succeed in my RPs. The only way you will fail is if you do not wish to continue the audition.

Now that I've laid out what to expect from the roleplay, I want to let potential players know what I expect from them, and this RP. TAoM is a roleplay very near and dear to my heart. I want to have a story that you look forward to being a part of. I want the players that join this RP to become friends who you will want to stay in touch with. I want this roleplay to last for years, and end with as much of the original cast as possible. I'm aware this is a tall order, but I'm willing to put in the effort to see this through. When you declare your interest, make your character, and audition, please understand that is the expectation. Players are important to me because I ask so much of them. And that is why you can expect me to be the best GM I know how to be :).

Anyone who declares their interest in this thread will be guaranteed an audition. I will only audition while player slots are available, and will assign auditions based on a first-come-first-serve basis. If three people express interest, I will hasten my project to have a full OOC with all the information you will need. I look forward to seeing what manner of mages greet the halls of Red Star Academy.

Update

Oh, and that is four people already, so time for me the start building the OOC. I will definitely have something up by tomorrow. If you want to get started on your character, here is the character skeleton. It is more or less a slightly modified version of the Iwaku template. I would like to add that everyone who attends in this run will start out with a character unskilled at magic, and entering their first year of magic school. In addition, there is a bit of classism in the TAoM world. About 3/4s of the population is distantly related to the original magic users, the magi. A good number of these mages discriminate against the remaining 1/4 despite there being no conclusive proof that being descended from the magi affects magic performance. Those are the big things that I can imagine would affect your character sheet, but please ask questions if you are missing information.

GENERAL CHARACTER STATISTICS

Character Name: The name of your character.
Orientation: Straight, gay, trans, etc.
Species/Race: Human, neko, etc.
Birthplace: Where the character comes from.
More:

PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS

General Appearance: Eyes, Hair, Height, and other visual details. Pictures also work. In fact, pictures are awesome.
Mana Nature: The type of magic your character is naturally more adept at using. This can be any non-abstract noun. (fear the dryer, chocolate bar, and dragon magic!)
Natural Talent: (Endurance, Knowledge, Accuracy, or Power)
More:

MENTAL CHARACTERISTICS

Current Goal/Purpose: Their agenda they would like to accomplish.
Non-magical Talents: Little things your character is good at. This can be anything from cooking to playing Sudoku.
Inabilities: Things your character is terrible at. For example, spelling or getting along with animals.
Fears: Things your character is afraid of, has a phobia of, or even small events they don't want to happen.
General Personality: This is the personality that the world sees. What people believe of your character. How they interact with other people.
Inner Personality: The part of your character's personality that they don't like to reveal to others. What people rarely get to see!
Secret: That one thing they don't want the world to find out.
More:

HISTORIC BACKGROUND

General History: Childhood and important events that helped make your character who they are today.

Present Life: The events in the present life that tie them to the current plot!

Last edited:
Reactions: Thundor
Awesome interest check, Luna! And what an amazing and interesting RP you've got cooking up here. You can count me in for sure! I also love what you have planned, the system, this audition you've hinted at, all these and more make me wonder what you got gearing up in that clever mind of yours.

Awesome interest check, Luna! And what an amazing and interesting RP you've got cooking up here. You can count me in for sure! I also love what you have planned, the system, this audition you've hinted at, all these and more make me wonder what you got gearing up in that clever mind of yours.
Always a pleasure Thundor. I'm glad to have you.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
So the basic premise is like Mahouka, only not so far flung into the future.

So the basic premise is like Mahouka, only not so far flung into the future.
While you aren't wrong, the magic will function far differently from that anime. There aren't going to be a lot of hard rules to how magic works, and in execution it will look a lot like what would happen if that anime met Fairy Tale and The Last Airbender.

I'm interested! This looks amazing, and what you want from players is exactly what I want from a game. I'm eager to audition. :)

I would like to take this post to express my interest in this rp

I'm interested! This looks amazing, and what you want from players is exactly what I want from a game. I'm eager to audition. :)
I'll be glad to have you.
I would like to take this post to express my interest in this rp
Looks like I'm getting a lot of the Changing Hands crew. I'm happy to have you Oniichan.

Oh, and that is four people already, so time for me the start building the OOC. I will definitely have something up by tomorrow. If you want to get started on your character, here is the character skeleton. It is more or less a slightly modified version of the Iwaku template. I would like to add that everyone who attends in this run will start out with a character unskilled at magic, and entering their first year of magic school. In addition, there is a bit of classism in the TAoM world. About 3/4s of the population is distantly related to the original magic users, the magi. A good number of these mages discriminate against the remaining 1/4 despite there being no conclusive proof that being descended from the magi affects magic performance. Those are the big things that I can imagine would affect your character sheet, but please ask questions if you are missing information.

GENERAL CHARACTER STATISTICS

Character Name: The name of your character.
Orientation: Straight, gay, trans, etc.
Species/Race: Human, neko, etc.
Birthplace: Where the character comes from.
More:

PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS

General Appearance: Eyes, Hair, Height, and other visual details. Pictures also work. In fact, pictures are awesome.
Mana Nature: The type of magic your character is naturally more adept at using. This can be any non-abstract noun. (fear the dryer, chocolate bar, and dragon magic!)
Natural Talent: (Endurance, Knowledge, Accuracy, or Power)
More:

MENTAL CHARACTERISTICS

Current Goal/Purpose: Their agenda they would like to accomplish.
Non-magical Talents: Little things your character is good at. This can be anything from cooking to playing Sudoku.
Inabilities: Things your character is terrible at. For example, spelling or getting along with animals.
Fears: Things your character is afraid of, has a phobia of, or even small events they don't want to happen.
General Personality: This is the personality that the world sees. What people believe of your character. How the interact with other people.
Inner Personality: The part of your character's personality that they don't like to reveal to others. What people rarely get to see!
Secret: That one thing they don't want the world to find out.
More:

HISTORIC BACKGROUND

General History: Childhood and important events that helped make your character who they are today.

Present Life: The events in the present life that tie them to the current plot!

X3 I myself am in!

X3 I myself am in!
Even more Changing Hands members... I glad I made a good impression lol. I'll be happy to have you York. I've already seen your teamwork, you'll fit right in.

And do I really already have 5 members ready to audition? It has been a day. This is awesome.

I'm in ^_^

Time to start thinking about a character...

And. In half a day we have reached the player cap. This was terrifyingly fast, and I wish I could handle more people as there is clearly a huge demand to get into this RP. Unless people drop out for some reason, no further auditions will be given.

I'll make my presence known here should a spot open up. Until then. :D

Hey everyone. Remember how I promised you an OOC by tomorrow? Thanks to my recent new recruit to the thread, i3flames, it is now up today instead, and looking fabulous. Flames will be my Co-GM, and while he won't have any player characters, he happens to be king of the lolis NPCs; so expect to see a lot of him. There is a lot of cool information up, so be sure to check it all out. Without further adieu, your TAoM OOC awaits.

80lFuhX.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.