The Art of Magic: IC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haruka - A Promising Start
Haruka listened carefully to what Miss Fortune was saying, even taking notes every now and things of things he thought were particularly interesting, though he did look towards the assistant, Miki, who seemed quite nervous... Actually not unlike what he would look like if he was in the same position, except probably for different reasons as Miss Fortune's explanation for why Miki behaved the way she did had differed from the reasons he himself behaved the way he did. He gave her a slight wave out of politeness, avoiding eye contact as per usual before he resumed taking notes and listening to what Miss Fortune was saying, taking the book that Miki handed to him, looking it over for a moment, he'd read through it later. The laws they'd been told by Miss Fortune intrigued him, he started to wonder how they'd play out in more complex situations, the Council probably has a way to take care of that, or it's included in the book, but he'd solve that small mystery after class. The new piece of information Miki shared about having a Mana nature of light made him tilt his head a little, that would actually make sense the way she put it, so he made a mental note not to look too much at Miki for her own sake. Upon recieving a piece of paper with two questions on it as a small review to this class, he also looked it over before starting to figure out the answers, the first one, he tried not to overthink too much, that would come later when he would begin answering it, and the second one was straight forward, he expected to learn new things, as bland as that sounded. He nodded a little, seeming to be in thought when Miss Fortune let them out early again, he put the paper in one of his pockets, folding it a little. He hoped Miss Fortune wouldn't mind that when he handed it in, but, he shouldn't have too much trouble filling it out or anything, just as long as all his pens hadn't suddenly gone missing, though the mere thought of him made him feel a bit nervous, but he quickly shook it off.​

Last edited:
Reactions: Thundor
[BCOLOR=transparent]As class begins, I take my head off the desk and transfer my attention from Nowmi to the teacher. Although I've been hardcore crushing on her, I feel like continuously looking at her would be pretty stalkerish, and she makes a pretty dull expression during class anyway. She probably already knows everything, so she doesn't have to pay attention in class, instead letting her idle thoughts run about. It seems like we are going to be studying Canon at first. For me, Canon is a strange concept, because some mages just strictly don't use it. If you are crafty enough with simply expelling mana from your body, you can essentially do anything you need it to. I wonder when organized magic is more useful.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Before I ponder further however, an admittedly adorable cat girl suddenly materializes at the call of Miss Fortune. She was blushing, seemingly because she got called out in front of the class, and had an unusually small presence even while invisible. Almost like she didn't want to be noticed more than necessary. She seems so shy, it makes me want to cheer her on, and I probably would have if class weren't currently in progress. Instead, I settle for a short thumbs up and a bright smile as she walks by.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]I couldn't give her too much attention though, as while Miki passed out the books, Miss Fortune talked of Magic Law. I did pay attention to every law, but to be honest, everything sounded like common sense. Even if I didn't have a name for it, I already knew all of those things were wrong. I mean, if you cast a spell, you should make sure it is safe, don't hurt the environment, and don't mess with souls. I mean, I can't even imagine why you'd want to mess with a soul. If you mess up, then there is no fixing it. I can break every bone in my body, puncture my lungs, lose my head, get burnt to a crisp, and magic can fix me right back, but souls can't be fixed with magic. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]The next thing to occupy my attention was Miki's formal introduction. After she finished, I realized that everything I had characterized her as had a completely different context. Since she stays invisible a lot, I thought that she didn't have the courage to be around people, but now I'm seeing this in a different light. I don't really understand what she means by having a fragile mana structure, but I do understand enough from her body language to know that being out in front of the class was an extremely big deal for her. I wonder why she tried to play it off like she was in control, when she clearly wanted to return to invisibility something fierce. I should ask her after class if she is still around. Besides, Miki would probably make a great study partner since she knows Canon, and is the only person in the class who can use magic.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Speaking of study, it looks like we already have our first assignment. I'd really like to get that stuff out of the way so I can get some exercise and hang out with Nowmi. Fortunately, on inspection, the assignment isn't really long at all. It is just two questions, and neither seems remarkably complex. Rather than getting this out of the way, maybe I can try to leave with someone right away. I know one of the big things on my list was finding more people that wanted to go on ventures. There are a few people who probably wouldn't be up for it, but that is a big priority for me. After all, I won't be able to go on a mage's journey all my life, so I need to get started.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]As soon as class ends, but before we are allowed to leave, I walk up to Miss Fortune and ask, "Is it ok if I make an announcement in front of the class?"[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Ms. Fortune, "Of course. Do tell me what you'd like to announce first before you announce it."[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"I want to ask people to join my Venture. Yesterday me, Nowmi, and Haruka got our seals, but it didn't look like a lot of people knew about the place since it wasn't introduced in class yet. I think it is more fun traveling in a group, so I wanted to see if anyone wanted to go with me."[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Ms. Fortune, "Oh! Definitely." Ms. Fortune turns to the class, or whoever's left of them. Ms. Fortune, "Everyone! Laika would like to share something with you. Please give her your due attention!" She turns back to Laika. "There you go. Have at it."[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Extremely pleased by Ms. Fortune's all-clear, I pivot to face the class, articulating in a clear, bold, but mostly happy voice, "Hey everyone. I wanted to invite everyone here to join my Venture. If you don't know what that is, it is basically a mage's quest sponsered by the school. We will get to travel the world as much as we want, share stories, go out on the town, and lots of cool stuff like that. If you are interested, let me know and I'll help you get started. Thank you."[/BCOLOR]

Last edited by a moderator:
~ A New Beginning? ~
Kaminari listened intently as the teacher told them about this and that, learning about Canon and the magic laws, and handing them homework to do for tomorrow. Seemed like this day was just leading up to something, he supposed, but then maybe it wasn't at the same time. Thinking about this just made his head hurt, he would most likely get the work done tonight and be done with it so that he could have some time to himself. That's when he hears the one girl from before talk about a group, and this got his mind interested. Putting away his things, he raises up a hand to show his support for this.

"I'll join." He tells her, raising up to his feet so he could put his arm down. "It, uh, sounds like a lot of fun really." He smiles, although on the inside he was thinking over the situation to himself. New changes to explore, new changes to get things along the way... It sounded like the perfect opportunity, honestly. He wondered, had she done this on purpose, to see who would join up with her after yesterday's class? Who knows, all he knew was, she was giving him the chance to do more things, and he had taken it.​

• Love
Reactions: York
Mika was excited for class after having taken yesterday to relax. The day was nothing special, the teacher reviewed some magical laws and such, which were all basically common sense she thought. Although two things interested Mika, the cute little neko that had chosen to remain invisible (unfortunately) and another new girl that appeared to be a student that hadn't arrived yesterday.

Mika had already disregarded the homework, stuffing it in her bag for later, and was hoping she could maybe make a good impression on one of the new additions to the class when one of the girls Mika couldn't remember the name of stepped up to the front and mentioned something about a group. Mika had no idea what she was talking about, but it sounded like a good chance to make friends with some of the other students, or at least with the one cute girl. After another student stood up to join Mika raised her hand and spoke with a shaky tone "I... I would like to join..." Mika was at the very back of the classroom and probably couldn't even be heard at the front but she was to scared to speak up.

Saemon - Haunting Thoughts
__New_GUY_OC___by_F_AYN_T.jpg
Ssflc7I.png

[BCOLOR=transparent]Day two of Red Star Academy was already rolling and gaining momentum before Saemon could truly get his bearings straight. Class, in his opinion, proved to be much more interesting than yesterday. Not only did he acquire some actual studying material, but it was handed to him by a previously invisible girl. Ms. Fortune's assistant, Miki, was certainly endearing in her own right; Saemon could observe how her shy personality and cool tricks had charmed a few classmates already. Meanwhile, Saemon had one ear devoted to Miss Fortune and her explanation on magical laws. Saemon might have heard these laws once or twice before, but the monastery had very few mages who always refused to reveal their secrets, so this was the first time he was being taught directly. The laws made sense to him: you're responsible for your own stupid, don't ruin the environment, don't mess with people's souls…[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]...Wait, Saemon's mana nature is Ghost, he realized. Do ghosts count as souls? That's what they are, right? Disembodied souls left to wander the afterlife? Saemon immediately became concerned, and felt that distinct coldness in the center of his gut and racing up his spine. He hardly gave the assignment any recognition, numbly stuffing it into his Canon book.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]As soon as class was over, Saemon sought out Miss Fortune. An uninvited fear crept into his heart. What if he already did something illegal? Was the whole fiasco with the chalice going to be unnoticed? He almost felt like he was turning himself in. The coldness was progressively getting worse as he spoke up, "Um…" Saemon hesitated for a moment, oddly intimidated by the elfish teacher, but he quickly made to swallow his nerves and move on. "About what you just said… with the laws. And you've seen what happened with the chalice and…" he trailed off, unable to truly voice his thoughts.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Miss Fortune smiles at Saemon. "Of course. I'm sure you would be concerned about it. Before I educate you about it, however, I'd like you to ask me properly about it. Do that and I will answer accordingly."[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Saemon sighed softly to himself, taking a second to breathe before continuing. "You know what my mana nature is, right? And you have a general idea of what it's… inclined to do?"[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Miss Fortune beams her usual dainty smile at Saemon and nods briefly. "Take a seat. Your mana nature is that of the ghost nature, if I recall. From my experience in the mercenary field, ghost mana nature is at an odd relationship with the Law of Souls. The Law of Souls forbids changing souls with magic. It is a terribly frightening thing and criminals who use magic to attack a being or ghost's soul are apprehended by the most powerful and experienced of the Magic Counsel's police force. However, the most conventional use of ghost mana nature is dealing with ghosts as respectable beings and forming a sort of partnership. They are most considerate with ghosts. While in the field, I had the pleasure of working with Kondas, better known as Whisperer. You might've heard of him. It took him about five years to find a ghost suitable to him. Ghosts can launch mana in its purest form and possess unique abilities. On the battlefield, ghost mana users tend to be scouts or assassins. They're hard to detect with sensor magic. I've seen ghost mana users become summoners as well, taking less dangerous positions in the backlines and littering the battlefield with apparitions and ghost companions. Apparitions are ghosts created by summoners for specific purposes. They aren't real ghosts but, instead, simulations. They're decent but not nearly as intelligent as a natural ghost. Think of it as a golem, except not."[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Okay…" Saemon said once Ms. Fortune finished her brief explanation. It took all of his willpower to keep from fidgeting in his seat, but he didn't visibly budge "I'm sorry, that's a lot of information at once. It's going to be hard for me to process it all." A lot of the terms the teacher was throwing at him now was completely foreign to him. "I'm not sure what golems are or who this Kondas person is, but I think I understand your point. I'm not going to get in trouble based on my mana nature alone… I think." There was something still bothering him however. The chalice was still at the back of his mind, as his mana's reaction was easily among the most violent.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Now about the chalice… It's been bothering me since it happened. I don't think the chalice's response would be so… dark without good reason."[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Miss Fortune nods. "I'll repeat it if you'd like. You're better off talking to someone with ghost mana or something similar however. They could explain it a lot better in terms that you could much better relate to! I aim only to give a general explanation as your basics teacher. I could not teach you how better to use it as much as I could point you in the right direction as to who could." She clears her throat and takes a seat on her desk, smiling still. "You're absolutely right. Dark and violent reactions from the chalice are not unusual. The chalice doesn't resonate perfectly with everyone. Some people will get a pleasant feeling from the chalice. It's more suited to detecting certain mana natures than others." [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"I see…" Saemon breathed, "I'll see if I can find someone. Thanks for your help." Saemon stood up and smiled politely, "See you tomorrow." With that out of the way, he left Miss Fortune with another objective he wanted to take care of today. Saemon set out to find Serra. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Serra continues to sit in her seat, examining the class. She sees Saemon approaching and smiles briefly. She stretches in her spot. She'd spotted Saemon talking to the teacher and that piqued her interest. "What do you think of this venture thing?"[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"I think it sounds like fun," Saemon replied in turn. "I was meaning to introduce you to them anyways, if you want to come along."[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Serra, "Oh. Yes. Certainly."[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Haruka was about to head out, but, upon hearing Laika's invitation to go on a venture, he stopped in his tracks, this having caught his attention, looking towards the others that had agreed to go, he nodded, speaking up for once, albeit quietly. [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]"I-I'll Join."[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] He said suddenly, his voice being just loud enough to be heard throughout the room, though if one wasn't paying attention, it was rather easy not to notice.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Jack almost felt bad for the children. A written assignment. Evangeline must have felt they had done something abhorrent to give them such a torturous task as homework. Even for beginners, Jack always preferred a more hands-on homework. Light on a fingertip, the vibration of the air making an intelligible word, or even the a gaseous smell from nowhere — all better assignments that forcing students to do any form of [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]paperwork[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]. These kids though; they were young and foolish. They didn't yet have to fill out seven different application and licensing form [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]in triplicate, and in three different [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]ink colors [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]for every new student that came to their class. Jack's body vibrated slightly at the thought of the small mountain of papers that had landed in his office overnight. Letting out a small sigh, Jack forcibly ejected these thoughts out of his mind with an imaginary cannon as he pushing himself off the door frame to Evangeline's classroom. He had gotten there a few minutes before the end of the class, but had remained unseen, managing to restrain himself from interfering. It had not been the time; he had questions that needed answering. But, now that class was over...[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]***[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]A low sound, one like a rubber balloon being stretched could be heard coming from Laika right ear. A small tuft of brown hair sprouted from it as the sound began to grow louder. Laika's ear stretched and widened as more hair, and eventually flesh began to force it's way out of her ear canal. With a small pop, Jack's head and smiling face could be seen coming out of the ear. It chuckled at the small group of students before him before beginning to speak. [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]"A venture, is it?"[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] Jack's head mused, [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]"Well, isn't that a [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]grand[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] idea for beginner students. I know of a few places on the grounds that are in desperate need of mowing and I'm quite sure there are a number of gutters that need cleaning."[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] Jack's head laughed louder as his own joke as the stretching sound could be heard once again. Laika's ear expanded wider still as a hand, followed by the arm it was attacked to pushed it's way out. A second followed along with the upper half of a torso, and, placing both hands on the side of Laika's head, one final push caused Jack's entire body to pop out of Laika's head with the sound of a suction cup being pulled from a surface.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Feet on the ground, Jack reached down to dust himself off, sweeping away exaggerated amounts of dead flies, lint, and ear wax. [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]"You know,"[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] Jack said, leaning over to the same ear he had just emerged from, [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]"You really ought to do some cleaning in there. It is filthy and full of random buzzing. Might also want to work on filling out all that empty space in the middle too."[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] Jack laughed loudest at this and placed a hand on Laika's head to tousle her hair before giving her a warm smile. Taking a step towards the rest of the class, Jack surveyed the group, his eyes twinkling as he looked at the newest batch of young minds and potential entertainment sources. Along with the one he had popped out of, there were two more people he recognized in the small group. They were the three he had met earlier outside the admin building. Well, wasn't this a surprise. He had been a bit frustrated yesterday when he told Sky of the three random children he had met who were going to take her place during wall ball, only to realize he had had been unable to tell her their names. Well, that would be rectified in the next few minutes. First things first, however.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Taking another step forward, Jack sat himself down in an empty desk. Propping his elbows up on the table, he placed his hands under his chin as he gave his head a slightly sarcastic tilt and smiled up at Laika. [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]"Do continue. I would love to hear what kind of venture you had in mind." [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]Lifting his hand from his chin from a moment, he gave it a small wave in Laika's general direction. The lights in the room went out in an instant, plunging the room into blackness. A loud clank could be heard from above, as a blinding pillar of light shone directly down upon Laika who was now standing in front of a metal stand which was holding on to an exaggeratedly flashy star-shaped microphone. The multicolor lights from the microphone shone across Laika's body, illuminating her as if she were a celestial body herself. [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]"Well?"[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]I used to think that I had a lot of interesting experiences in life; however, having someone enter the room out of my ear was certainly a new experience. It didn't help that I really didn't know what he was talking about the entire time. He said something about mowing the lawns and cleaning the gutters on school grounds, but aren't ventures about exploring outside the ground? And the things he said about me were even more puzzling. Were my ears really so dirty that it made Jack come out like that? I wash and clean them often enough though… And not that I don't like having my hair touched, but couldn't he at least wash first? Oh well, in times like this where I don't really understand, it is best to just to go with the flow. With the familiar feel of stage lights and a microphone, my idol voice kicks in as I act like I'm at a concert, completely oblivious to Jack's sarcastic intent. [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]"In this venture, we are going to go to the nearby town, and gather the things we will need to go far distances. While we are there, we are going to have lots of fun learning lots of things about each other. I'm looking forward to it!"[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]When life gets you down, they say you can get back up and keep going. In this case, Kaminari was having a very hard time believing that, after seeing a head emerge out of someone's ear. Even for a world where this should be common to him, he did not like the thought of someone inhabiting his brain without him even knowing it. Then a full person emerges out of said ear, a man in fact, one who, already, Kaminari could feel would get on people's nerves very fast. Kaminari thought about intervening and saying something, as Jack and Laika seemed to talk, but then Kaminari thought against that. He decided to wait and see how this would transpire first, crossing his arms over his chest with a light smile on his face as he watched Laika suddenly take the stage, adapting to the new surroundings she had been given. Kaminari felt a little jealous of her, but at the same time, he felt happy she could do this.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Although Saemon's face was visibly flat and unaffected by the entire performance, he was actually quite dumbfounded by the display. Not even two days into his magical career, and he's seeing teachers casually fling highly advanced magic around like it was no big deal. All Saemon himself could manage was make a basic magic chalice react, and that took [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]effort [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]on his part. Just the thought of being around an ex-mercenary like Ms. Fortune and this obviously powerful newcomer made him feel quite small and insignificant. Always playing second fiddle to Kieran had made him grow to detest the feeling of smallness. Saemon brushed the feelings aside as quickly as they appeared, instead focusing his attention back to Laika. [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]"That does sound like fun,"[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] he said, trying to give Laika some form of confirmation. He turned his focus to the strange man that popped out of Laika's ear, raising an eyebrow in morbid curiosity. [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]"I don't think we've met before. You are…?"[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Of all the things that had happened today, this by far was the strangest; it wasn't every day someone just oozed out of a fellow classmate's ear. Then again, Jack, the strange man they had met earlier was quite the enigma himself. All Haruka could do at the moment as stand there, rubbing the back of his neck slowly in a confused manner. It took him a few moments, but, he recovered from the initial shock of the moment, Hearing what Laika said about this Venture though helped let him forget about what he had seen for the moment. [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]"I-I'm looking forward our Venture too."[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] He said quietly, managing a shy smile as he attempted to convey how he felt. It was a bit of a problem for him sometimes, but, he managed it in the end.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Noémi, well, she herself couldn't say it wasn't interesting. As much of a self centered dick that Jack was, he had a talent for magic and stage that few could boast about, and the princess herself respected talent, even if it was attached to less than desirable people. The girl earlier turning herself invisible? Nothing compared to Jack…. Still, Noémi only scoffed. Her bloodline had many powerful mages in it, a few who in their own time were considered the strongest. Sure, they had declined now, but she had seen things growing up that were paltry compared to what Jack was doing now, that she was as unimpressed as they could come. Still, she would watch with interest, as seeing Laika innocently suffer under Jack's sarcasm was too interesting to keep away from.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]A wide grin grew on Jack's face as he watched Laika's reaction got from only a split second of surprise, to full blown acceptance of her predicament. Apparently the girl was used to an audience, as she wasted no time in half-singing into the mike her intentions of a venture with the rest of the kids in the room. He suppressed a chuckle at her naivety. It seems as if this girl had only read the school pamphlet on ventures if she thought the school was going to allow them to travel far and wide with their level of skill. Still, he waited with a look of polite interest that was obviously fake as he let her finish. When she did, the sound of raucous applause thundered through the room as if she was in a concert hall as Jack clapped his hands a few times. [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]"Wonderful speech, kiddo. Bonus points for presentation and flair, though we have to take away a few for the subject matter, I'm afraid,"[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] Jack said as he allowed the exaggerated applause die down. The lights returned to the room as the faux stage vanished, returning the room to normal. The other kids, clearly stunned by what was going on, finally seemed to climb out of their stupor of dull surprise and began to speak of their intent to join in on this venture. Jack couldn't suppress his chuckle this time.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]The shock from his appearance and actions finally seeming to be gone, one of the students actually decided to finally ask Jack who he was. Jack heard him, but wasn't really paying him and mind at the moment. His head was turned and locked on Haruka. This boy, along with the venture girl up front and the scoffing princess in the back were the three he had began to play wallball with the previous day. He thought they had looked familiar when he first saw them, but their actions spoke louder than words. Well, wasn't this a coincidence. Out of the hundred plus students in this school, he had managed to run into these three twice, and now they had some new friends. Well, this turn of events at least warranted bothering to learn their names. [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]"Oh, you can speak, mute boy?"[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] Jack directed at Haruka, an eyebrow raised and scanning eyes twinkling, [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]"Didn't think you had it in you. Might want to take a hint from your sun mana and be more bold, like ghost boy over there."[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] Jack jerked his thumb over towards Saemon before turning in his desk chair slightly to look over at him. [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]"You're right; we haven't. These three have though."[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] Flashing neon arrows suddenly proofed into existence, hovering above the heads of Laika, Saemon, and Noémi. [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]"I guess since we are in a class setting now, I should formally introduce myself, for as much fun it is to have star girl rattle off my pointless accolades, it really isn't proper."[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]The arrows disappeared as Jack stood up. He took a few steps forward, passing Laika and making his way closer to the teacher's deck Evangeline — who had been pointedly silent this whole time — was standing behind. Stopping next to it, he quickly spun around with a slight jerk, allowing his long brown coat to twirl for a bit of dramatic flair. Now facing the room, he smiled at the children. [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]"My name is Mr. Roman,"[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] he announced with no form of trickery or pompousness, [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]"I am the illusionist teacher her at Red Star Academy. Some of you may eventually be allowed to participate in my class in the future, but most of you will not. Not everyone has the required traits for illusions, I'm afraid, whether these be magical or personal. A simple illusion can be far more dangerous than a fireball, after all. But, those I deem applicable will understand that in time. Now that you know me, feel free to give your own names. You too, princess,"[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] Jack added, his tone finally regaining it's usual sarcastic quality as he addressed Noémi.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Looking about the room, I see that while my message got out and was being received fairly positively, it happened to be competing with the shock that came from Jack's illusionary spectacle. Well, everyone except Nowmi, but she isn't impressed by anything, so that is normal. Honestly I should just be glad she bothered to listen to me instead of taking a nap or something. Plus, with her and Haruka, it will be easy to count them in since they went last time, but the addition of Kaminari and Saemon would be a huge boon. Oh, and Jack seemed to remember me, so that is pretty cool. I can't help but feel like he is way different that the person who wrote the book he has published. Though, I can definitely remember that part about an illusion being stronger than a fireball. Oh, wait, did I really not ever introduce myself to Jack? Oh gosh, that was probably pretty rude of me. Well, I mean, better late than never. [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]"My name is Laika."[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Kaminari listened once more, this time catching the name of Roman. And… Jack Roman? That name rang through his head once, twice, three times. He didn't really know if he had heard of that name. Maybe from television? Maybe from people? Maybe from books? … If he had heard of this man before, it certainly didn't ring any bells. Regardless, he heard people introducing themselves, and well, he thought it rude if he stood around without doing the same. Although it seemed like this Jack knew of three of them already, so he guessed he could roll along with this plate for a while. Wait, didn't he have to introduce himself here? Oh, right, that was a thing. Taking a quick moment to let Laika speak, he then speaks up afterword.[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] "Just, uh, call me Kaminari."[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] Kaminari said, bowing his head a little to everyone. Well, this would certainly do for a short and nice greeting.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Roman…"[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent] Saemon committed the name to memory for future use, [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]"I'll make sure to remember that. My name is Saemon. It's a pleasure."[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] He honestly didn't have much to say beyond a simple introduction. He was already well over Jack's rather eccentric traits, so he wasn't as baffled as before. Saemon half-debated with himself if being called "Ghost Boy" was an insult or not, and then immediately questioned how Jack knew his mana nature in the first place. While he pondered this, he was also waiting for the others to lead on. Unlike everyone else, Saemon did not know the surrounding area at all, and would be unable to really go anywhere without some form of guidance.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Haruka rubbed the back of his neck a little, mostly in nervousness upon realizing who this man was… From what he had heard, Roman was a rather exceptional teacher albeit a little egotistical at times according to a few people. In the end though, he was curious about how a class with him went, but, for now, he decided to share his name and nothing more. It didn't feel right to start bombarding him with questions here, though that would be difficult to do in this situation as he found it rather difficult to speak at the moment. However, despite this, he managed to say what he had needed to [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]"I-I'm Haruka."[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] he said, clearing his throat a little quietly before falling silent again.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Noémi Mercier, though I knew you already knew this fact"[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent] Noémi replied, her eyes burning daggers into Jack. [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]"I am aware somewhat of your history and your accolades, but I will strive to treat you as I do every other teacher… completely unexceptional. Though I can reluctantly promise that if I ever am in your class, I shall attempt to pay attention and actually learn."[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] Noémi sits back on her chair. In a way, she knew that her own personality was not that far removed from Jack's, and it could easily be her in the front of a room belittling everyone. But she at least knew that for now, he was the superior mage, superior to most everyone in the school, and it would be ignorant of her to dismiss this fact. They do not have to get along, but if his teaching would result in her being a better mage, she would deal with it as best as she can.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Serra watches and listens from a distance. Close enough to seem interested but not so much that she looks like a participant. She's visibly impressed by Mr. Roman's appearing act. She would just tag along Saemon's side and eventually introduce herself. She particularly wonders whether her natural shape-shifting bears any resemblance to Mr. Roman's illusions but then dismisses the thought. Her wings are real. They are tangible, have definite texture and have physical applications like gliding or floating. An illusion of wings couldn't do any or maybe most of that… Maybe. Serra feels inclined to sprout her wings but wouldn't dare. It'd ruin her outfit and bring unnecessary attention to herself. She decides she would sprout them when she wants to leave. Jumping out of the window is far more entertaining and efficient than taking the stairs. She's certain that other students with means of flying would definitely jump out of the windows too. In lieu of these thoughts, she looks out of the windows for several moments before focusing again on the scene occurring in class.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Miss Fortune takes a seat on her desk. She'd seen through Jack's trick. Or, rather, she knew how he did it without necessarily physically looking through it. The interactions between her students and Jack interested her. Luckily, there wouldn't be another class using the classroom for several more hours.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Jack moved his gaze towards each student as they gave their name. Some were timid while others were... bold, he supposed. The little princess really didn't have much respect for her superiors. There was a short pause as Jack raised a hand to his chin in thought. There were a million different ideas running through his head. Unfortunately, all of them would probably get him in trouble with the headmaster. The question was if he could talk his way out of it. A small smile crept onto Jack's face. He definitely could. Putting his hand back down, Jack turned and winked at Evangeline who had been watching in silence. There was a soft popping sound as Jack vanished, complete with the physical manifestation of vanishing lines and the word 'pop' where he once stood. With a second pop, he reappeared next to Noémi, his appearance dramatically changed. Wearing a white doctor's coat and a stethoscope, Jack lifted his surgical mask a few inches off his face before letting it go to snap back into place. "[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]Just out of curiosity..."[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] Jack said as he reached behind himself and pulled into existence a one-way, full body x-ray machine, the screen facing the other students, not allowing Noémi herself to see anything. Ignoring any complaints from Noémi, Jack switched the machine on. The black screen showed the green image of Noémi's skeleton as it hummed to life. Looking towards her torso, Jack nodded him himself in mock conformation as his eyes locked onto what was unmistakably a small tree branch glowing clear as day in her pelvic region on the monitor. Satisfied, Jack snapped his fingers, and the whole setup disappeared in a puff of green smoke, that quickly dissipated. [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]"Don't you worry about how you treat me princess; unfortunately, my machine showed you are lacking certain... [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]traits[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] to attend my classes."[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] Jack placed a hand on her head in a similar manner to Laika earlier, and tousled the girl's long pink hair. [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]"You're free to come play wallball with me though!"[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] Jack chuckled to himself as he turned to look at Laika. [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]"Now, about your little speech..."[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]I know the pamphlets make the whole venture thing seem glamorous and full of whimsical, mystical, fantastical adventures..."[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] Jack began, his face face becoming serious for a moment, though it didn't last as a massive grin burst its way forth back onto his face, [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]"And they are! Ventures are quite fun! Great way to gain experience in your field of expertise, and a cheap way to be funded to see the world at large!"[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] Jack's voice became animated, as the room itself began to dissolve at his words. Behind the classroom wall, the outdoors could almost be seen as the previous locale faded away. [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]"Except there is one problem..."[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] With the classroom now gone, what looked like field full of flowers though the melting walls revealed itself to be a small patch of overgrown grass in front of a cozy looking house. A lawnmower now stood next to Laika, as small canisters of weedkiller appeared next to Haruka, while a weedwhacker manifested on the ground beside Saemon. [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]"You have no fields of expertise, nor do you have any real reason to go out on a venture in the first place!"[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] Jack waved his arms around at the new surroundings. [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]"You see, when going out on a venture, a task of some sort has to be accomplished. This isn't just a paid vacation on the school's dime. So, unfortunately, you really won't be sent very far away from the school; mostly to the neighboring towns. The people there are used to inexperienced students coming around. They will have many chores waiting for you to do, since, after all, you lack the skills to actually tackle a real mission. But, I suppose there are some types who enjoy a hard days labor..."[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]I personally recommend using the school's excellent facilities to help train yourself in the most basic of spells this weekend,"[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] Jack continued, a wave of his hand making the grass and equipment fade away as the classroom slowly reappeared. [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]"There are a number of weekend instructors who are willing to help provide extra credit and their expertise on anything you are having trouble with. Of course, you would be competing with the hundred other students for their attention, but I'm sure you'd be able to find at least one. If you're feeling extra bold, you're also welcome to visit the gym for some dueling practice. I've been assigned as the school's sparring master!"[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] Jack's face had a wide grin that had just the slightest hint of sarcasm and enthusiasm around the edges, [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]"You're welcome to come visit me in my office if you would like to learn your own limits."[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] With the room once again returned to normal, Jack took a few strides so he was once again standing next to Evangeline's desk. [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]"But, that's for you to decide. And not here. I have business to attend to with Ms. Fortune, in case she was wondering why I'm here..."[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] Jack added with a glance over in her direction. [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]"Time to go, kids."[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Noémi was surprisingly nonplussed. After all, the metaphorical stick up the ass? Pfft. If Jack couldn't think of a more clever insult than that, then he really wasn't all that. She simply reclined slightly in her chair and waited for him to finish, giving him no more than a sideways glance as he rambled. She had to give him credit, he was trying really hard to provoke a response. Ah well. Once he finished his little speech and left, she gave more thought to the discussion. Extra credit? Teachers willing to teach outside of class hours? Now that is what she was looking to hear. She wanted to be able to cast spells, not in a week, not in a day, but right this second. As he dismissed the class, she was the first to leave the room, her head awash in thoughts. There would have to be something, something she could learn, something she could do. It was only right for a Mercier to learn everything before everything else. Being on top, that was her family's duty… and their right as well, at least she believed so. Still, outside the classroom, she paused. While Jack did say there were teachers on weekends, he didn't bother to tell them who they were….. Still, she was definitely not going back to talk to that stuck up sorry excuse for a mage, after all the only type A personality she could stand was her own. With those thoughts running through her head, she headed down the hall, with no real particular destination, simply using the time to think.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]I'm rather confused by Jack's interactions with Nowmi. I get the sense that they don't really get along, but I really can't understand why, or the motivations behind producing a picture of Nowmi's insides. Was it supposed to be a joke? Well, I mean, Nowmi didn't seem to find it amusing, but that is true of most things. Anyway, it probably isn't a good thing to bring up, so it is probably best not to think too hard about it. Soon after, I find myself quite taken aback with Jack's representation of venture. At first he almost tried me into believing he was going to reveal a downside that I didn't know about, but in the end all I learned is how illusions can be used to aid presentations, and that Jack can seemingly conjure whatever he wants effortlessly. Not that it really came to the top of my thoughts though. Right now I was more or less caught up in the theatrics of everything. I already knew that we weren't going to get any funding until we are able to take on a real assignment, but I wanted to have some experiences to share with all the other students. Maybe after it gets late, I could even slip away with Nowmi… Even if it means doing a bit of work, I think it will be fun if everyone works together. Lastly, Jack introduces the weekend tutors that are there to help. I'm not really surprised, but it would make sense to have teachers for that kind of thing. Plus, if we can use them this weekend, that probably means that we get to use magic soon! Just as Jack finishes delivering information, I want to give a heartfelt cheer to rally a venture crowd, but something causes me to hesitate. The very first thing Nowmi does is walk away, seemingly having no interest in the Venture. I wanted to spend some time with her, but I can't just call off the whole thing. Especially since I still want to get to know the rest of the class. Letting her walk out the door, I turn to the others. [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]"Even knowing what Jack said, would anyone like to come with me?"[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Haruka blinked a little seeing all of this go on, it seemed Jack and Noémi were already a little hostile towards one another to say the least. Perhaps they'd get less like that later on? There was no telling really, or at least not from Haruka's perspective. Seeing as Noémi had walked off after a bit, he decided against following her, everyone needed time to themselves at some point, it didn't feel right to intrude on ones time alone. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Serra raises her hand. Serra, [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]"I'd very much like to join you. I don't mind tedious tasks."[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] She scoots over to Saemon's side, feeling comfortable for being acquainted to, at least, one person. She'd very much like to get to know the rest of the class, even with all their blatant idiosyncrasies. Meeting Noemi would have to wait, considering she waltzed off. Serra feels like she's already gotten to know her, what with her rebellious attitude. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Miss Fortune seems slightly disappointed to have to leave. She gives Jack a curt nod, picks up her belongings, waves her students adieu and ambles away with the enigmatic Illusion teacher, presumably off to do teacher-ish things like meetings or grading.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]With the teachers having done their things and then up and leaving them to mind themselves, it felt like they might be doing things sooner or later with this whole, venture thing. Despite what Jack had said to them, Kaminari didn't really see investigating what these towns were, even once, was a bad idea to him. Who knows, it could probably turn up with some items he may need in the near future. Being addressed by a question, well, more like it was most of the class, but still, he felt the need to address it. [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]"I'll still go, I don't want to back down out of this."[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] He said with an innocent looking smile, though on the inside, Kaminari was calculating on what possible things he should keep an eye out while they were out on these, erm, ventures as they called them.[/BCOLOR]

• Love
Reactions: York
Status
Not open for further replies.