The Art of Magic: IC

Status
Not open for further replies.

☆Luna☆

Students find themselves at the impressive gates of Red Star academy through all manner of transportation. Various races of all shapes and sizes enter the gates. Some students might be in awe of the castle-like structure with high walls separating the school from the lands surrounding. The letter instructs them to convene at the auditorium, where they will be received by the headmaster.

Inside the auditorium, after everyone finishes filling in, the headmaster takes the stage to deliver a brief announcement.

With a powerful voice, "Students. Welcome to Red Star Academy. Here, we will teach you all, regardless of race, class, age, gender, and family background... the art of magic. As our very first class, you all have a great task ahead of you. Prove to the world that with our instruction, anyone can learn how to use magic. Now then, please look inside the pamphlet that brought you to this room. The page with the map of the school now has marked your dorm and basics classroom. The key to your room will be located inside the pouch. Have an excellent day, and remember. To learn magic means to know how to live and to live for magic. You are dismissed. Go forth to your basics class."

Students begin to clear the room, creating quite a crowd. Even the flying population might find it difficult to exit without being jostled and pushed.

[BCOLOR=transparent](A collaborative effort between Luna and Infin1teZer0)[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Saemon felt a nervous pit form in his stomach as he stepped through the main gates of Red Star academy. His eyes darted around in seemingly random directions, taking in every new sight they possibly could. If the young former monk was honest to himself, he would say that he felt incredibly intimidated by experiencing all these unfamiliar things at once. The academy was at least double the size of his temple home in the mountains, and that was the largest structure he'd ever seen at the time. He had also yet to see anything beyond the human race up until this point as well. Surely, he had read about the other races, but he has never actually seen them. All around him, Saemon could see people with wings, tails, extra ears, and other alien appendages attached to their otherwise human forms.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]He forced the anxiety away before it threatened to consume him; now was not the time for weakness. Without talking to anyone or diverting his attention beyond what was directly in front of him, Saemon made his way to the auditorium as instructed, waiting to hear what the headmaster has to say.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Arriving by plane in a nearby landing strip, I find myself still quite a distance from Red Star academy, but not so far that I can't see the colossal structure. You can tell it was made for all manner of students to attend, as the place has comfortable standing room for giants. I silently wonder to myself if a Colossus could fit, despite knowing better. Though, the day was too short to sit around wondering much longer, as even here I could see a stream of new entrants. Today would be the start of something amazing. Just thinking about it makes me pumped with energy. As of today, I officially am a mage in training! Darting off in the direction of the school, I bob and weave through the crowd, garnering quite a reaction from a few of the individuals I pass. With my hair tied back, my pony tail moves about vigorously in the wind with my black athletic shirt and black and cyan skort. Soon enough, I arrive at the gates. Seeing the arch so high above my head made me feel quite extraordinary. It was only by force of will that I didn't vocalize just how awesome it felt to be at the door of Red Star Academy. I followed the crowd to the Auditorium, and eventually ended up sitting next to a black haired student with a pretty casual look about him. He seemed like he was highly anticipating the headmaster's speech, so it seemed like a good place to start up conversation. "So, you look like you are looking forward to the speech. Are you nervous, or expecting something?"[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Huh?" Saemon did not register that he was being addressed to until a few seconds afterwards. He took a few seconds more to formulate an answer, "Oh, well, yeah!" Saemon tried to sound friendly; girls were also quite the rarity in the monastery. There might have been one girl to one hundred boys there, if not less. "People like that usually have important things to say, so it couldn't hurt to pay attention to them." He smiled and turned his head back to the stage, awaiting the headmaster's words.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]The boy seemed to be friendly enough, so I figure I can at least say a little something before the headmaster got on stage. "Usually it is just some cheesy long-winded speech is what I've heard. Red Star is brand new, so there is no telling what the headmaster is like, but odds are it isn't terribly different from the other schools."[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][THEN SPEECH HAPPENS][/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Saemon paused for the duration of the headmaster's opening speech. Sure, it was what he expected, but he paid attention nonetheless. "Well, I've got nothing to compare it to yet," he commented to his friend, "so I'm bound to get something out of it." He turned back sideways to face her, "My name is Saemon Malo, by the way. It's certainly nice to meet you." He took this opportunity to sneak a peek at the girl's envelope, which he quickly compared to his own. "Aand… It looks like we have the same homeroom. Imagine that." He smiled again. Saemon would definitely not mind sharing a classroom with her.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]I didn't quite expect the kind of speech our headmaster gave. It was incredibly short and to the point. I mean, he didn't even introduce himself, but it is like he didn't have to. You could tell just by the speech, this headmaster is no nonsense and highly capable. It was almost anticlimactic that everyone gathered here for something that could amount to an announcement. I guess it is good to meet the headmaster, but maybe the speeches are usually long-winded to avoid this kind of feeling. Headmasters really just can't win huh? I perk up as Saemon turns to greet me even amidst a quite rowdy crowd. "Oh, that is kinda awesome. Like, what are the chances that we'd get to meet up like this before class even starts? My name is Laika. If you wouldn't mind, could I follow you to basics? It would be more fun that way."[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"I can't see why not. Let's go," Saemon replied happily, rising from his seat and joining the crowd of new students. It would certainly prove difficult to navigate through all these people, but Saemon felt like he could manage. Believe it or not, but he eventually navigated his way through the hallways to his first class of his first day, all with Laika in tow. Seeing as the room was empty, we went and claimed one in the middle for himself.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]The crowd was pretty thick, and I nearly get separated from Saemon a couple times. Finally tired of the pushy people, I hold Saemon's hand so that people stop trying to walk through us. When we get to the class, I release it, taking the spot next to him. I'm not the best student, but I try my best at the very least. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Saemon couldn't help but blush slightly when Laika took his hand in hers. Even if it was negligible contact at the most for her, the young boy was thoroughly surprised. Girls were extremely rare back home, so he may not have even touched one up until this point. Her hand was so… soft and delicate feeling compared to his own, which was scarred and calloused from a lifetime of fighting. For some reason Saemon found his thumb involuntarily stroking the back of her hand, as if it was fascinated with this alien yet marvelous thing it had just found. He forced it to stop as soon as he realized he was doing it, which was when they parted. Even as the two sat together, Saemon felt oddly embarrassed and found it difficult to make eye contact with his new friend. He forcefully swallowed down the lump that had formed in his throat and regained a neutral expression. "So--" he said without much thought, "Who else is going to be here? It's just us for the moment. I don't think a class would only have two people in it."[/BCOLOR]

Once, I lived in a world of ignorance. I thought that, just maybe, I knew how the world worked and how I could make a difference. That is a lie, for I am constantly surrounded by mystery, the unknown, never knowing what it will reveal to me or how it chooses to do this. What I know for sure is that I exist, I know this because I am not invisible to others, I am not in a world that centers around me, in fact, it's like it doesn't even know that I exist. Do I fear the unknown, am I worried that some superior beings are looking down at me and laughing at me for how I struggle through life, am I afraid all my actions, all my efforts, amount to nothing in the end and that my life, my story, is not even worth being put in a book? I sit in the darkness I have created, I live in a world of lies because that is what I do every day, does that make me a bad person for it? I don't think so, and neither should they. The demons inside of me, the darkness that has appeared, must be contained until I can deal with them. Until then, I will use the light as a lie.
"Thanks again!" Kaminari Kuigi calls out to the driver of the car, waving to the people in it as it drives off into the distance. Kami was alone, and he sighs to himself, feeling mentally exhausted. Don't you worry, everyone, I'm going to do what I can and make it to the top however I can. Kami turns around and walks forward for a bit before he saw the gates in full view. "Wow, so cool!" Kami says out loud, Kami wasn't the only one though, for various other people of varying other races came in. He was only human, how much competition was he going to get?

As he traversed to the auditorium, it was a bumpy ride for sure, because oh man, the place was crowded! Curse my luck, he thinks to himself. They couldn't organize things a little better, despite being so new? Whatever, there's a reason they called me here, and I'm going to take full advantage of it! Soon Kami finds himself seated and listening to the speech of the headmaster. After listening and follow his instructions, Kami finds himself a bit annoyed, but keeps this hidden quite nicely and heads off to basics class. Although, once again, Kami is taken for a ride as he has to travel through a lot of other people along the way. "Oops, sorry, pardon me, coming through! Whoops, I almost pierced myself on that horn of yours, so sorry! Excuse me, pardon me, oops, sorry, I didn't mean like that, I meant as in just passing through. No, not passing through like that, how silly of you!"

After going through the main hall, he finally finds his basics class, and that's when a question pops up. "Maybe that's the joke?" Kami replies, entering in with a big grin on his face. If they had looked around, they would recognize him as the boy who constantly kept a smile and appeared to have taken in all the information from the speech nicely. Kami, to their surprise, bows politely from the waist and moves his right arm across underneath his stomach. "I am Kaminari Kuigi, a fellow student it appears." Kami tells them, as he rises back up from the bow.

"Unless one of you two is the teacher, but that is unlikely, or is it?" Kami gives them a suspicious look, before smiling and chuckling lightly. "Nah, I'm just pulling your chains! I'm just glad I wasn't the first one here, ya know? I hate coming in and it's all quiet, no social activity! It's no fun for me, but oh, I almost forgot. What are your names, and uh, do either of you do handshakes?" Kami grins again before holding out a hand to them both. "I've got plenty -a hand- to spare?" Kami chuckles to himself at his own joke.

• Love
Reactions: York and Oniichan
Mika was overwhelmed before she even made it to the gates of the academy, Red Star was only a school but it was larger than the town she had come from. The number of people here was staggering and Mika was surprised at the number of different species as well, maybe that meant she wasn't the only lamia in the school. Even so, she still felt uncomfortable in the group as she made her way for the auditorium. When Mika saw the way the chairs were grouped together for the speech she began to understand how difficult fitting in, literally, would be. Mika decided to lean up against a walk close to the back of the auditorium while she waited for the head master's speech.

As the headmaster exited the stage students began filing out towards their basics classroom. Mika waited for the crowd to thin out a bit, she was more concerned with being in the way in the halls (Not that the halls weren't able to accommodate the crowd) than being late to class. Eventually she began on her way to her first class. Mika could felt like her heart was going to beat right out of her chest as she found her room. By the time she entered most of the other students in the class had already found their seats. Luckily Mika found an empty seat in the back corner of the room. Mika slithered through the aisle and wrapped herself around the empty seat hoping that the teacher would make an appearance soon as she attempted to hide herself from the students around her.

"Filthy, just absolutely filthy." Noémi muttered under her breath, casting her gaze on the crowd assembled in front of the headmaster. "A weak man leading a weak school, how did it ever come to this?" She pouted, fortunately nobody seemed to mind the girl with the french accent babbling to herself, they probably have seen much odder things.

It was still disgraceful though. Someone like her should be in the best academy in the continent, learning from the best teachers among only pure blooded classmates. Not this poor school, with its poor students who couldn't afford better. But the traitorous family in her home country forced it to be this way, and she would forever resent them, and this school, for making her be here today. Indeed, as the headmaster continued his speech, she couldn't help but let out a yawn (to the annoyance of those standing next to her). Her long, ornate dress felt oddly out of place in contrast to the more casual clothes of her peers, but she didn't care, it was her job to always look proper, no matter the situation. It was expected of a Mercier, even one who's family had fallen to the level of sending her here for her education. But she couldn't think like that much longer, no, she was going to show everyone here what a true mage was, no matter the cost.

When the headmaster finished his speech, Noémi walked curtly out of the room, holding her head high. She would head to class, sit at the front, and master any subject thrown at her. She'd work hard, and ace everything, and the students would be bowing at her feet as she walked past. Well, maybe not full on bowing, but woe would be the poor soul who did not show her respect. Smiling at her thought, she gracefully entered her first class, taking a seat at the front, sitting with her legs crossed in front of her. Her bags and books were neatly organized, and very fancy, it was more than obvious how wealthy she was, even as her family floundered. She didn't make note of the other students already there, nor did she bother to seek the attention of those coming in. After all, why bother interacting with those beneath her?

Haruka stood at the school gates looking around at the rather impressive structure the building itself had, despite his face seeming not to change he himself was rather impressed by how it's incredible architecture. Despite this, he was more than a little apprehensive about what awaited him inside, was it going to be yet another warzone to tread carefully in? Or perhaps was it going to be a more silent one? With any luck, the school would just be a peacefull one. As he stepped inside the assembly room and found a relatively isolated spot to stand at gazing down at the rather large crowd with an amazingly big variety of species and attendees there. Then a rather irritated sounded voice which was just barely audible under the noise of the audience caugh his attention, turning his head just a little bit he managed to hear a little of the words that were muttered "Filthy just... filthy" was all he managed to catch, but it already gave him an idea of what the voice was referring to. Curiousity taking over he turned over to see where the voice was coming from, it was a girl, just about his age, but it seemed she had considerably more strength flowing in her from the looks of it. He didn't want to judge her too much but by the looks of it she would have been almost at home in one of his previous schools... It just made him wonder how many others were like this in this school, he certainly hoped there weren't enough to cause as much problems as they did back then.

As Haruka listened to the headmaster's announcement, another sound came from the girl's direction; a yawn that produced looks of annoyance from the others around him, he just simple sighed a little in pity for both the ones around her and the girl herself. It seemed she was going to have a hard time adjusting to the environment here, then he turned his attention back to the headmasters announcement, his mind began to wander to other things though, like the fact that he'd have to try the best he could to learn the magic skills he needed. With enough at his disposal, it should make it easier for him to establish a better relationship with the magi and the non-magi, being a recognized magi descendant should help that along, but he didn't count on that status lasting too long if the uncertainty of his heritage was discovered, he just hoped it would never have to come to that. As the assembly came to an end, he headed off to his own class and looked around the room, the back was most likely going to be a big hotspot for students so he'd pick a seat in the front of the room, it was near the left wall of the room where the door was giving him the benefit of an easy exit incase he needed to complete an errand or something. He glanced around the room momentarily to assess who he was going to be attending the class with, one somewhat notable person would be that girl he had heard muttering to herself in the assembly. Haruka let out a sigh as he looked around the rest of the room briefly and then returned his focus to his rather large travel bag full of books and belongings which he had brought over to this school; he'd have to drop this stuff off in his dorm when they were assigned to him. What worried him was who he'd be paired up with as roommates, this was surprisingly enough the first time he'd had to share a room with someone else.

[BCOLOR=transparent]The hallways were bustling with students - some were obviously returning students, sauntering about the school with the ease of experience and certainty about their destinations, while others were obviously new, examining maps and turning their heads rapidly around as they searched for their destinations. Many stood around in small groups or pairs, chatting and talking about all sorts of topics. A few couples had ducked into little alcoves or corners within the halls and were busily devouring one anothers faces. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Dax, however, could not see any of this. His glazed-over white eyes gazed blankly ahead of him as he walked through the hallway, listening closely for the clues that would tell him where people were - the shuffling or light tapping of footsteps, the rustling of clothing as someone shifted their position, the voices of people discussing their summers around him. He was careful not to walk into anyone, and despite his lack of eyesight, was able to manoeuvre through the crowds with surprising ease.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Visions filled his mind as he caught snippets of conversation - the sight of a girl, talking about a guy she made out with at a party, showed Dax a brief glimpse at this guy as she described him to her friend. As Dax passed, her voice faded, and so did the image. A vision of a sheet of paper with impossible questions on it as a guy told his friend about the horrid time he'd had in his special summer classes. A glimpse at a dark wooden coffin with a beautiful middle-aged woman lying in it as a girl softly told her friends about her mother's death only a month earlier.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Dax fingered his pocket briefly, ensuring that the little key they'd given him for his dorm was still there. He had no use for information pamphlets or maps, and he had called the school ahead of time for directions - when they explained to him over the phone where he had to go, he could see the hallways in his mind, and he had figured it out on his own. It had been a length phone call, but he figured he wouldn't have any problems navigating now.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Dax was unsure how he should be feeling. He was excited, that was for sure - magic fascinated him and he longed to delve into the study of this beautiful art form, so being here filled his head with all sorts of wonderful thoughts and ideas. It was a school, however, and he didn't have many good experiences with those. Perhaps the people here would be kinder, and more mature - after all, it was basically a post-secondary school, like a university. Maybe there would be people here with whom he would actually want to socialize. Maybe - just maybe - Dax would make some friends.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]He rounded a corner swiftly, his feet quiet against the academy's smooth linoleum floors. He knew that the door to the classroom was approximately twenty-four paces from the corner, so he let his hand brush against the edge of the wall before he began walking. The door would have to be on his left, he remembered that, so once he had counted out his paces, he turned to his left. Before he could move forward to reach for it, however, somebody brushed past him and he heard them open the door. He smiled a bit and went towards the sound, catching the heavy door and opening it. He walked into the classroom and paused a moment, recalling the layout that had been described to him. It wasn't typical for many students to choose the spots in the very front of a classroom, especially the ones closest to the teacher's desk and furthest from the door. He made his way cautiously over there, listening closely to make sure that nobody got in his way or got bumped into, and then pulled out the seat and sat down quietly, listening to the chatter of the students around him.[/BCOLOR]

8PIVq7y.jpg
I mostly keep to myself as new students enter the room, but this changes as a girl in a quite stunning dress sits in the front of the room right next to me. Her long white hair seemed very well kept, and paired with those bold red eyes; I couldn't help but think she might be some kind of princess. It isn't like I'm attracted to her, but needless to say; she has my attention. With a small wave, "Hi there. It looks like we are desk neighbors now. My name is Laika, and you are..?"

75kQeva.jpg
Noémi glared over at the girl sitting next to her. She was already loathing this place, it was not the grand school of magic she was promised growing up, and she definitely did NOT want to make friends. In a haughty tone of voice, Noémi replied. "Hmph. I am Noémi Mercier, remember that name well, as I will be at the top of this dinky school soon enough. I do not care that we are sitting anywhere near each other, I simply chose this position since it is at the front of the class. I have no interest in being friends with anyone, and I would ask that you stay silent and treat me with the respect nobility deserves, and if not, I have no time for someone like you". She might have been taking her frustration out a little bit on the people here, but to Noémi, it was only justified after having been forced to come here.

dMpjjfP.jpg
Haruka was just a little impatient for this class to start; it was quite boring just sitting here without much to do… Instead of complaining or looking for something to do he simply sighed, and leaned his head onto one of his hands. His thoughts were drifting back to that girl, the one who seemed rather discontent with ending up in this school… It made him wonder what unfortunate incident caused her "wrath" to befall this school. She seemed like a nice person if you were to get past that brash attitude of hers, and he definitely didn't doubt that she had at least a considerable amount of magical strength in her. He figured he was soon to find out if she did, that is if they were to face each other in a battle today.

b6Tt7MS.jpg
Kami looked around at everyone else coming into the room, curious as to what each of them could do. He really hoped if he had to get into a fight today, that'd he'd do alright and not get messed around by some levitation spell, or some weather spell, that'd be the worst for him. He walked over towards the desk in the center of the others and slide his way into it, almost mentally sighing in relief of how relaxing it felt to just sit down in a chair. Or, maybe he was weird for thinking that, but compared to sitting where he's had to sit so far, this was the best seat he got in a good while after leaving home. Now I have to keep check over what everyone's names are, he thought to himself. That way I can keep a better track over who does what, first impressions are everything here, so let's see how everyone decides to act here.

8PIVq7y.jpg
I look a bit disheartened as Noemi rejects my friendliness like it was a lethal disease. It was actually a bit disappointing, seeing someone that I had high hopes for suddenly become so cross. I feel like I actually offended her somehow, though I couldn't say how. I hope she is just having a bad day. I know that for a lot of people, the first day of magic school is very stressful. Though, it isn't something that I can just tolerate either. Well, actually, maybe I can. "Sorry for disturbing you then Noemi. I'm sorry that you aren't enjoying your first day, but I hope you can make the most of it. Red Star isn't as dinky as you'd think. I did my research before coming here. Most of the teacher's are top notch. I even heard a rumor that Jack Roman teaches here. He is ranked number one, and has developed the ultimate illusion magic."

75kQeva.jpg
"Illusion magic, pfft. What good is magic that does nothing but conjure up pretty pictures. Not good at all. No, only strength matters in magic, but you'll see soon enough little girl." Noémi turns back to the front of the class, dismissing Laika with a wave. "Yes, you'll all see just what true strength is all about. And then I can bring back the Mercier name, and get revenge on them all….". Realizing she was talking about things that were more private, Noémi fell quiet, and instead faced the front of the class, her arms folded in front of her.

GhNHzjn.jpg
Mika sat silently in the corner, trying her best to take up as little extra room as possible. Although she was nearly on the opposite side of the room she could hear two girls near the front of the room talking. Although the darker haired girl seemed very friendly, the white haired girl she was talking to seemed extremely confrontational, making it clear she wasn't here to make friends. Mika just silently prayed she wasn't forced to interact with her, and certainly didn't get roomed with her.

zL8AtP3.jpg
Saemon sighed softly at the proceedings around him. A good amount of the students here might prove to be… difficult to manage. Some were quieter and decided to simply sit back and observe, but others took a more dominant role in the classroom. One of these people was a girl that was apparently named Noémi. She seemed haunty and overly arrogant, based on her manner of speaking. Saemon was automatically irritated by her, and it will prove most satisfying to prove his superiority once given the chance.

IIYtMyy.jpg
Very soon, after Noemi's comment on magic, a lady enters the classroom. She's quite short for an elf but tall nonetheless. She places her belongings on a desk at the front of the class then centers herself at the middle-front of the classroom. She watches the students with a dainty smile. Homeroom is to begin in about five minutes. Ms. Fortune decides she would examine her students until then. She doesn't doubt that they know she is their teacher and that, soon enough, they would ask.

wBQ4YNj.jpg
Dax sat in silence, listening to the conversations around him. He heard a sweet voice nearby introduce itself as Laika to another student, only to be shot down by another voice near him, a voice that identified itself Noémi. Very few others spoke - perhaps they were shy, or perhaps they were just nervous. From his time in high school, he knew that classrooms were normally buzzing with chatter, but this one wasn't. It was strangely silent, but for the rustling of clothing, the shuffling of students adjusting their positions, and the occasional sigh or deeper breath than the rest. It was far from silent, now that he thought about it, but it was still quieter than a classroom should be. He suddenly heard the door of the classroom give a slight creak, and a steady set of footsteps walked in, stopping briefly in a front corner before turning and shifting to the front and centre of the room. It definitely had to be a teacher.

8PIVq7y.jpg
I nearly lost my cool when Noémi addressed me as, little girl. I really don't mind that she feels privileged and that going here is beneath her, she is going to realize sooner or later that won't fly. What really irritated me was that she thinks that just because she comes from a prestigious family that she gets to make me feel bad. I thought she was really cool until she started talking… Or so I thought. Thankfully I listened long enough to hear what this was really about. She feels insecure in her strength, so now she wants to try to put me down so that she can feel all high and mighty. Well, I know just how to treat these people. "Oh you are absolutely right. A silly little girl like me wouldn't know better. Maybe I should start calling you Onee-chan." I smile widely, almost bursting into laughter. I fail to notice that the teacher has moved to the front of the room.

75kQeva.jpg
Noémi doesn't bother responding, and simply turns to stare at the teacher, not saying anything. She ignores Laika completely, not responding to the passive aggressive dig, and stares examining the teacher, wondering if she was good or just some lowly mage who thought she knew enough about magic to teach it.

dMpjjfP.jpg
As Haruka was thinking, he managed to catch bits and pieces of a conversation going on. One of the voices sounded too familiar not to recognize; it was that girl again, going on about something. He sighed a little, pitying her more than despising her, some day, he'd prove just how useless ones heritage is. Perhaps she'd warm up to everyone a little more if he could prove that to her… Somehow. Before he could dwell much more on it, an older looking elf lady stepped in, she didn't look half bad, but she was presumably their teacher. She seemed quiet though, unlike the majority of his previous teachers, it gave him a little more hope that this school won't be so bad… First impressions don't always reveal everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 person
Ms. Fortune stands at the head of the class. She watches for several moments, taking in the faces of her students. The class doesn't seem to her as lively as she would prefer but she does not think that is a problem. Ms. Fortune walks over to her desk and pulls its chair to where she was standing. She takes a seat, then looks to the time. It seems like all the students'd arrived. She begins by raising her hand to get the students' attention. "Good morning, everyone." She pauses a moment to let the students shift their attention to her. "I'm sure you're all here for several reasons and aspirations. I'm certain... those aspirations are very important to you personally. Some of you would probably love to know, 'How can I apply what I learn here to what I do?'. Others, perhaps the lesser, are here for no particular reason beyond learning magic and figuring out what you want to do with it later on. That is fine. This class will be very personal. If you're to look around, you'll see faces you will be familiar with for the rest of your life. I'd like you all to stand up, one-by-one, on your own accord, and introduce yourselves. Say whatever you see fit. I would enjoy it very much if you would tell me your aspirations as well. Before we begin, let me remind you. Learning magic for combat is fine and dandy but there is more to life than war." She nods to the class, gesturing for them to begin.

Reactions: Thundor
The elf at the front of the room pulled up a seat before confirming the suspicion that she was the teacher of this class. Mika was relieved that she had broken the awkward tension that seemed to be building up in the classroom. The teacher announced that she expected everybody to introduce themselves to the class and there was a slight hesitation amongst the classroom, presumably nobody wanted to set the foundation for their fellow classmates by going first. But the way Mika looked at it, expectations were lower for the first individual and Mika figured by the time everybody was introduced they would have forgotten if the first person had made an idiot out of themselves anyways so she decided to step up before the others.

"I'm Mika." Her voice came from the back of the class as she stood up, or rather leaned back onto her tail to give her the appearance of a woman of normal height. "Mika Minami." Her voice was modest, light, but projected well enough for everybody to hear. "I came here to learn healing magic. I would really like to help other people with what I learn here." Mika was being honest, she wanted to help others, but she figured she didn't have to tell everybody about her mother. Mika tried to keep eye contact with the teacher to avoid seeing any looks the other students might be giving her. "I hope to get along well with all of you. And hopefully we can all be good friends. Thank you." She said quickly before sliding back into her chair and waiting for the next person to speak.

Dax sat in silence as the teacher spoke, listening closely. She didn't describe anything, so no visions came to him - the classroom remained invisible to the blind man. He crossed his ankles beneath his desk, leaning heavily on his left elbow. He had a simple bag of brown leather sitting by his feet, tucked under his desk so that no one walking by would trip over it, and he had reached carefully down to pull out a blue ink pen. He twirled it absently between the fingers of his right hand, his chin resting on his balled up left fist. The teacher asked that the students each take a turn introducing themselves - describing their aspirations, letting the teacher learn something about them - and he paused thoughtfully. What would he say? Should he mention being blind, or was that obvious enough? Should he tell anyone about his natural abilities? He probably should, just in case anyone needed to help him - they just had to describe things to him and he would see it, but how would they know to describe things if he didn't tell them to?

Before he had finished considering the possibilities, he heard the shuffling sound and chair scraping against the ground at the back of the room as somebody stood up and spoke. Her voice was soft, but Dax's hearing was heightened enough to hear each word. This girl, Mika, also didn't describe anything that would help him to see around the room. After she finished and he heard the shuffling of her sitting down, he decided that he would take his turn. He lifted a hand lightly to signal that he was going, and he pulled himself to his feet, the chair sliding backwards from beneath him.

"My name is Dax," he said, speaking slowly, clearly contemplating his words. His empty white eyes stared blankly ahead, not looking at anything in particular. "I'm blind, but you likely figured as much. I have a natural ability that lets me see visions when people describe things to me - it has to be something they've seen or currently are seeing, not something they're imagining, and I can only see it as they saw it, through their eyes. I want to strengthen and develop this skill, as well as learn other types of magic while I'm here. I'm not a very social person, so if I'm not all that talkative, it's nothing personal." Dax stopper speaking rather abruptly - there was nothing more to be said, so he was done. He sat back down quietly to let whoever was next take their turn.

After the teacher calls attention to herself, I turn quickly towards her, realizing that I was unintentionally making a scene as class is trying to get started. The teacher didn't seem to think anything of it, but I still feel like keeping myself more in line than normal. Though, as I looked at the teacher, the first thing that jumped out at me is how young she is. She probably only recently became a teacher. She looks and sounds graceful, which although typical of elves, seemed to resonate more with me than the typical elf. Maybe it is just because she is going to be my teacher for a while, but I'm getting excited to be a part of this class.

As Ms. Fortune addresses us, I find myself even more invigorated. Even coming to magic school, I had thoughts that the material would have somewhat of a combat focus since that is such a popular field for mages to enter, but I've had different plans. It isn't that I don't want to learn how to fight because in a pinch I don't want to be useless, but I don't want to make a living off of fighting with magic. Since I was a little girl, I've wanted to be an idol. I've gone to dancing lessons for a long time now and I've gotten good, but learning magic will take my performance to the next level. Thinking about this more and more, I find myself just dying for Dax to stop talking so that I can introduce myself.

Almost before Dax is even properly sitting down, I pop up to my feet like I was spring loaded. I look over the entire room, absolutely animated, yet somehow mellow enough to not seem hyper, "My name is Laika. I don't have any special powers like Dax, but I'm a good dancer. I'm hoping to learn magic so that I can take my performance to the next level, and become a popular idol. I'm really looking forward to learning magic, but I'm not the quickest so I'll be counting on you to be patient with me." I sit down, feeling relieved to have put that out there so that I can look forward to learning about my other classmates.

So the teacher is here and asking us to introduce ourselves. People are already standing up and taking a start on this, I should probably go up next. Yeah, if I don't, I might end up choking up and saying something stupid. I have to remember why I'm here, to learn magic, to learn how to control it, to learn how to use it with my physical skills, a balance on myself so that I do not fall in the other. I have to be careful on what I reveal and withdraw, I might look suspicious if something I hid suddenly is brought up later on. Just calm down, it's not like my mind is being penetrated, I'd at least know if that would be happening, there are walls in the mind like everything else, it isn't just easy for someone to penetrate into. I should just see how this goes, hopefully, I'll be able to learn more about who I'm with here and how to use that to my advantage.
Kami rises up to his feet next, clearing his throat quietly as he moves a hand to his mouth while doing so. He smiles at the teacher and waves a little. "Hello, my name is Kaminari Kuigi, and I am here to just learn some magic and to make new friends. New adventure's are always fun and I'd love to ride on this one, it sounds so exciting so far and I hope I don't let anyone down. Well, that's really it, we'll see how I do as the year progresses. Because I intend to be the best that I can be, and then go beyond that!" He sits back down with the smile on his face, having said what he needed to.
Alright, I did it. Now, how will everyone see me from here, will they see me as some stupid fool, or will they suspect that I have more intentions than just that? Whatever, not like it matters to me, I have my own goal to focus on and no one is going to remain standing in my way for it. i will do it, it is what I have to do, or I will never to be able to feel content with my life!
Kami now waits to see who would go up next, wondering what the rest of them were going to say and how they would say it.​

Reactions: Oniichan
Haruka sat in his seat quietly listening to the others introduce themselves after their teacher spoke, so far everyone seemed to have their goals set and were pretty open about them, however what other secrets are floating around were unknown to him, but he was aware there were probably things he didn't know about the others yet as per usual. Knowing it would be inevitable, Haruka stood up after Kami had stopped speaking figuring he'd get this over with sooner rather than later "My name's Haruka Yoshi, I came to this academy in hopes of developing and honing my skills in magic and... Persue my own goals." he said figuring he shouldn't mention anything about getting rid of the segregation between the supposed descendants and nondescendants of the magi... He was merely testing the waters here right now, but sooner or later, he knew he'd have to be more open about his goals, and more importantly, he needed to do so as fast as he could. This school wasn't brimming with people who had prejudices against one another, but he needed to figure out a way to resolve the issues with them in a peacefull manner before the inevitable happens and someone discovered his uncertain heritage. It would impede his progress if not dash the little progress he would have managed to make if it were leaked much too soon.

Saemon listened intently as everyone gave their introductions to the class. Some were clearly more open to express their excitement, like Laika and Kami (he couldn't help but grin at the former for some reason), while the rest were much more subtle with their greetings. His eyes panned the classroom again. No two people were alike in any form. Only at Red Star could you get a princess, a blind kid, and a flippin' snake lady in the same homeroom. It was blowing Saemon's previously isolated mind, to say the least. As he continued to listen, he could form up mostly hypothetical guesses as to how these people will behave in the future. Some were clearly friendlier than others, obviously, so Saemon made a mental note to keep that in consideration if he were to seek some companionship. As Saemon pondered further, the life dreams and goals of everyone before him rose to his mind. Some wanted to heal, entertain, fight, or achieve more private ends. In the end, it mattered not to Saemon; he simply wanted to prove that he was the absolute best at what he does. In this case, magic.

Seeing as no one has yet to rise after Haruka, Saemon stood up to address the class. "Hello, everyone," he greeted with a small wave. "My name is Saemon Malo. I'm from a place you've probably never heard of, but that's alright. I wish... to be the greatest at whatever I commit my life to, and I believe magic will help me get there. It's a pleasure to meet you all." Without anymore fanfare, he took his seat and waited patiently for the class to continue.

Noémi looked around her, the students standing one by one and introducing themselves. 'Pathetic' she thought. 'Nobody should care why they are here, they are simply here to learn.' Still, if this is what was asked of her, she would at least try to be a model student. After Saemon (who she did not listen to one bit) was finished talking, and nobody else stood up, she figured she no longer had a choice.

"I am Noémi Mercier, and I do not care one bit if you have heard of my family", Noémi said, standing up with a regal pose. Her arms crossed as she continued. "I am from the nation of Gaul, and I am here to become the best mage your school has ever produced. I do not care to make friends, I do not care for anything but being the best, and I hope that none of you stand in my way. That is all from me". She sat back down, her speech concluded. She did make sure to glare at Laika during it, making sure the girl knew she had drew her ire.

She waited for the teacher to resume talking, fiddling a pencil between her fingers. This, and every class from here on, would be boring these first few days. Hopefully they got to learning the big spells soon, so she could show everyone how much more naturally talented she was.

Ms. Fortune nods her head, still keeping her dainty smile. It's a little wider now, after she'd seen the variety of students that she would be instructing. "I'm Evangeline Fortune. You can call me Miss Eve or Miss Fortune. I'm a War Mage. I served in the House of Cards for several years. As common as Mercenary Houses are, the House of Cards is among the highest-grossing and most efficient. That did not make it any easier on the mercenaries however. T'was a tiring life for little in return. Now, I seek to turn the future mages of the world from a common misconception." She nods her head, contently. "Basics is a simple class. I doubt any of you will have any trouble. Basics will cover several subjects. You will, first and foremost, learn Canon, the language of magic. You will then learn spell structure. After that, you will learn about magic application and mana nature. Lastly, we will cover several topics on the context of magic, like history, magic etiquette, laws on the use of magic, and so on and so forth. If we have time near the end of this semi-year, we can learn a subject of your choosing so long as it is appropriate. I have a quiz here with me. I'd like you all to fill it out. Though, it is more of a questionnaire. After you are done, I will explain to you the rest of your schedule. Basics will be your main class. There will be a few supplementary classes." Ms. Fortune passes out the quiz to the class. After she'd passed around the paper and returned to her position, front and center, she looks over to Dax, "Dax. Do you need any help? If so, have a neighbor help you out."

The quiz consists of several questions.

1. Have you learned magic before?
2. What is your mana nature?
3. Have you learned Canon before?
4. Are you descended from a magi?
5. What are your hobbies?
6. What is your aspiration?
7. What subject would you like to see us cover in this class?

Listening to Ms. Fortune, I quickly understand that she has a background in war, and wanted to ensure people don't look at magic as simply a means of fighting. Considering all the devices around us which are powered by magic, you'd think it would be obvious, but I guess the idea of becoming a powerful mage is attractive to a lot of people. I think it is important to have enough war mages, since the creatures living outside the city walls can be very troublesome, and there are plenty of criminal groups. Though, war itself is pretty rare when there aren't any other countries to fight.

Also, while Ms. Fortune said basics would be an easy class, she didn't make it sound easy at all. I've never even heard someone speak Canon. It isn't needed for unstructured spells or devicing, so nobody back at school or home had any need of a magical language. Also, while I haven't seen the laws on magic use, I heard that the laws on use of illusion magic are absurdly complex. I sincerely hope that only the mages who choose to specialize in that magic have to learn it, otherwise I'll never graduate...

Finally, Ms. Fortune gives us all a quiz to fill out. Although it is a quiz, to me it seems like she was right in calling it a questionare. It doesn't seem possible to get any of these wrong. Dutifully, I fill it out.

Not even a little bit. I've only seen it in use.

Star

I didn't even know there was a magical language. Everyone back home just used devices, or projected their mana without structure.

I don't know.

Dancing and fencing.

I want to graduate from Red Star to become a famous idol. I want to learn how to use magic to make my dancing and singing more exciting.

I want to know how to cast magic efficiently, gracefully, and precisely.

After I finish my test, I get butterflies in my stomach. It was question 4. Whenever someone asks me that, I don't know what to tell them. I'm worried that if I truthfully answer that question, they will try to help me learn my connection to the magi. If they do that kind of research, then they'll learn that I falsified my enrollment documents, and then I be kicked out. No school would want me with something like that on my record. It would basically force me to be useless the rest of my life. I'd be dependant on someone else just like I have been growing up. None of our devices, not even a hair dryer work without magic.

With these thoughts in mind, I lie once more. If I say no, then at least they won't look into my name.

Not even a little bit. I've only seen it in use.

Star

I didn't even know there was a magical language. Everyone back home just used devices, or projected their mana without structure.

I don't know. No.

Dancing and fencing.

I want to graduate from Red Star to become a famous idol. I want to learn how to use magic to make my dancing and singing more exciting.

I want to know how to cast magic efficiently, gracefully, and precisely.

I push the test to the corner of my desk to signify I completed it. Though, I feel more than a little bit guilty for my actions.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Mika was satisfied with the teacher's description of both herself and the basics class in general, however, she was already convinced she would have her learning cut out for her. As Ms Fortune handed out the "test" to the students Mika was extremely nervous until she began reading the questions. Surely there were no wrong answers so there was no need to worry about failing the first assignment. Mika fiddled through her bag for a pencil and began answering the questions, doing her best to sound as intelligent as possible.

I was taught some healing spells in an informal setting by my mother.

Water

No, I'm not familiar with canon at all.

No.

Singing, writing, and I draw occasionally (with little success)

I want to learn to use magic to help others and encourage them to do the same. I would love to help make the world a better place for all those sharing it.

I would love to learn more about applications for magic besides combat if we have the time to cover any.

Once Mika was satisfied with her test, even if her penmanship was less than stellar, she turned her paper over and looked around the classroom, she wasn't the first one done obviously but she clearly had some time before the tests were collected. Mindlessly Mika began to draw the teacher at the front of the room who had been standing as if she were the subject to be painted by an art class. It was a less than impressive artistic endeavour but Mika hoped the teacher would pay little mind to it considering it hardly resembled her at all.

She took the paper and looked at it, a little confused. "Why do we need to fill out this? Who even cares?" Noémi muttered to herself. Still, there was nothing else to do at the moment, and so she filled out the paper, writing in a very neat, tiny cursive. Once she was done, she sat back in her chair, crossing her arms and closing her eyes.

1. I have not learned magic yet, though it shall not take me much time to learn.

2. Lightning, a raw yet refined strength befitting someone of my status.

3. I have learned some from earlier studies, though nothing that can be practically used, though that is subject to change.

4. Of course, from a very high level one in fact, the documentation and proof have already been submitted to the schoo.

5. I play the violin and piano, and can act and sing, though of course such things are easy for me.

6. To become the most powerful magus, though that is hardly an aspiration when it is so guaranteed to come true.

7. I have no preferences, such a boring basic class is not even needed for someone as talented as myself.

The class continued working on the sheets, and Noémi felt herself grow sleepy. This was all dreadfully boring for her, and with no mental stimulation, her boredom grew too much, and she fell into a light slumber, her chest rising and falling as she breathed deeply.

Status
Not open for further replies.