The Angston Years: OOC & Sign Up

C

Chris_Reaper

Original poster
THE ANGSTON YEARS.jpg

Old Angston, New York, ya know it's funny, there was never a more fitting name for a town. It's so weird to be back here after so many years. But I'll tell you the truth, those were some of the best and worst years of my life. I know that's an odd thing to say, but there's really no other way to describe it. There was nothing inherently special about this town, in most respects, it was just like any other synthesis of small towns with a strangely big city feel. But there's one thing that made Angston stand out from any other place I've ever been...and that was the friends I had here. I don't think you would've ever found a tighter crew. We were all twenty something's, all lacking direction, and all just trying to find our way and figure out who we were in this crazy world. We shared love, loss, pain, self discovery...but most of all we shared our lives together. Good, bad and just about everything in between. This is that story, these are my memories...something I like to call "The Angston Years".

Character Sheet

Name:
Height:
Physical Appearance: (No Anime)
Weight:
Quirks:
History:

Name: Gabriel Dela Vega
Height:
6'2
Physical Appearance: Chris BW.jpg

Weight:
182 lbs.
Quirks:

Bites Nails
Nervous twitch in his right hand

Heavy Metal
Comic Books
Sci-fi
Horror
Classical Music
H.P. Lovecraft
Edgar Allan Poe
Ray Bradbury
Keeping Fit

Dislikes:

Hip-Hop
Rap
Hipsters
Romantic chick flicks
Twilight
Marilyn Monroe
Gone With The Wind
Extreme Politics
Fakeness

History:

Gabriel and his younger brother Miguel were born to a down on her luck mother who resorted to stripping to support herself and her two young sons. Their dead beat father, skipped out when Gabriel was only a five years old. Their young mother eventually spiraled down into drug addiction. Her two boys were taken from her and placed to live with their uncle Enrique Morales, who was a successful officer in the U.S. Army. Enrique was a hard and strict man, but was a strong and stable father figure that the boys needed. He raised his nephews with a sense of pride and a hard work ethic. Gabriel and Miguel's mother died a few years later due to a heroin overdose.

Gabriel decided to follow his uncle in pursuit of a military career. He did three years in the Army but ultimately decided that military life wasn't for him and left the armed forces when he was twenty one. He's been working a stable job at a prosperous lumber yard outside of town, making a good wage. He's earning enough that affords him a modest size apartment, a nice car and an overall comfortable life, but struggles with his direction in life. He's made a very close knit group of friends in town, which include his younger brother, who is secretly dealing a with a drug addiction himself. Overall Gabriel is trying to figure himself out, with a lot of ups and downs.

I will work on adding my character! Did you have an idea of age range?

Reactions: Chris_Reaper
Name: Andi O'Leary
Height: 5'3"
Physical Appearance: Andi's pretty stereotypically Scene, with the ever-changing hair colours, piercings and brightly coloured clothes with loads of accessories and cutesy characters.

3613bb7e72f2747dcd0dd116c67e4689.jpg

Weight:
That's not a cool thing to ask a girl, 'kay?
Quirks:
Vegetarian
Extremely short-sighted
ADHD - forgetful, absent-minded, hyperfocused when doing something she's interested in

EDM
Asian (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) food
Shopping
Cooking
Playing bass (big fan of Flea and Jaco Pastorius)
Writing poetry/lyrics
Dancing

Dislikes:
Coffee (it gets her too wired)
Booze
Cigarettes (She's cool with cigars and pipes though)
Working out, or any kind of physical exertion other than dancing
Mexican food
People thinking she's a ditz

History: Andi's originally from Philadelphia but she moved to New York for school - she's enrolled in SUNY but what she really wants is to get into the creative writing programme at the University of Buffalo. Problem is, she has serious problems with focusing and concentrating so her grades were really spotty and she couldn't get an academic scholarship. So she works a number of part-time gigs (including waitressing and being a clerk at a music store) to make ends meet.

What most people don't know, and Andi doesn't really talk about, is why she really moved. She ran away from home a while ago, because home was pretty abusive. Alcohol, mental illness and physical abuse, all hidden behind a facade of lower-middle-class respectability. She's struggling with a number of demons herself, including disordered eating and addictive behaviours. She's desperately trying to stay on the straight and narrow, and she's doing an amazing job so far all things considered, but she constantly feels like everything could fall apart at any moment and she'll end up a homeless crazy like the ones she hung out with for a while before finding her feet in Angston. That insecurity, and her anxiety, manifests as an overly chirpy and dotty personality, and a need to please and care for people. She's a wonderful friend, if annoying and troublesome, but some of it comes from an unhealthy place.

Last edited:
8C44EA86-1AD5-40F4-B04B-BEDAD4A2D035.jpeg

Name:
Anna Marie Tilling

Height:
5'5"

Weight:
160lb

Quirks:
Taps nails on everything.
Twirls hair when bored.

Snow cones
Ice skating
Splashing in puddles
Classic Rock
EDM
Drunk Disney Movie Night
Grunge
Green Day

Dislikes:
State Licensure
Alcohol Permits
General paperwork that comes along with running a business
Disorderly drunks
Yellow, the color and the song.

History:
Anna, aside from being cursed with a generic first name that she quickly replaced with the nickname Tilly, was known for standing out in all the wrong ways. She was somewhat notorious for telling off teachers. Her strained relationship with her parents led to a total lack of control for the wild youth. She got into a lot of trouble, but never got caught like the true boss she was.

Her parents were killed in a car accident a couple years after graduation. Apparently they were expecting her to go to college, so there was a massive stockpile of money that she didn't know about. She instead got her bartender's license and opened up a bar and hotel in town called Tilly's Tavern & Inn. She's fairly happy with her work, but still feels like she's missing something.

This is set in 1999? Shoot, Andi's going to be a lot weirder relative to society then. Scene didn't really become a thing until later.

This is set in 1999? Shoot, Andi's going to be a lot weirder relative to society then. Scene didn't really become a thing until later.

LoL, yea, mostly I remember that time being really angsty with everybody being really on edge because of the whole new millennium thing. But I think Andi will be fine, I seem to remember a lot of kids with colored hair back than, myself included. I distinctly recall having purple streaks in my hair during my sophomore year of highschool, which was exactly around 99'.

Reactions: Ariel
Name: Miguel Dela Vega
Height:
6'0
Physical Appearance: jayhernandez.jpg

Weight:
170 lbs.
Quirks:

Insists on having four scrambled eggs every single morning without fail
Extremely superstitious
Clicks his tongue when he's nervous

Rap/Hip Hop
Mafia movies
Shark Tank
Breaking Bad
Conspiracy Theories
Children's Cereals

Dislikes:

Heavy Metal
Country Music
Anything To Nerdy
Conservatives
Dishonesty
Spicy Food

History:

Miguel and his older brother Gabriel were taken away from their drug addicted mother at a very early age and placed to live with their uncle Enrique. Miguel always harbored a deep resentment for being taken away from his mother and never felt that she was treated fairly by the state. Growing up and being raised by his strict military minded uncle was always a struggle for Miguel, but despite all this, he achieved high marks in school, partly due to his uncle's diligence. Miguel developed into a very liberal minded youth and he often clashed with Enrique over politics. He got along fairly well with Gabriel, but the two would develop very different personalities and sometimes but heads over their likes and dislikes, the brothers being direct opposites in many respects. Miguel set off for college when he was eighteen and just a year later, got married. In a typical teen marriage, Miguel and his young wife were ill prepared for the struggles of matrimony and divorced just six months after their wedding. The strain on Miguel's mental health from the divorce took it's toll and as a result, his schooling began to suffer.

The pressures mounted and Miguel was forced to drop out of college and return to Angston, to find his footing. Feeling that his uncle and brother were very disappointed in his failures, Miguel fell into a deep depression and in order to cope, Miguel turned to hard drugs...but this he keeps a closely guarded secret. Shortly after he moved back to Angston, Miguel fell in with a close knit group of friends that Gabriel introduced him to. The signs of Miguel's addiction are starting to show as he desperately tries to deal with his substance abuse.

Reactions: AshenAngel
@AshenAngel It's Andi! I'm Ariel. I mean, it's not a big deal but it got weird.

Sorry, phone was at 1% and brain was at .1%

I knew you were working on it but didnt think to check and see if sign ups were up or not. I'll work on my character once I'm able >.<

58e0f6737983a057888800ff2479677e.png

Name:
Fynley "Fyn" Maher

Height:
5'11

Physical Appearance:
Slender but of average height, Fyn stands comfortably at 5 foot 11. He was born with fair skin that tanned a bit the deeper he got into swimming. He has a head of brown curly locks and a pair of olive green eyes. As a former swimmer, he has some muscle but sadly his six pack faded overtime along with any hopes of ever stepping into the pool again.

Weight:
163lbs

Quirks:
Finger pointing
Horrible sense of direction
Extremely Ticklish

Music
Singing(badly)
Ukuleles
Children
Animals
Alcohol
Dislikes:
Being Tickled
Maps
Rainy days
Deep water(fear)
Smoking
Nightmares
Spicy food

History:
Born the youngest of two children, Fyn often followed in the steps of his older sister, Marie. She was the reason he got into swimming and also the reason he stopped. The two were raised in a well off household and lived in a nice neighborhood. His mother was the typical housewife and spent a lot of time with the two siblings. His father was a businessman who worked long hours. Neither of them really ever connected because of this.

Around the time the two were in middle school, they got into swimming and stuck to the hobby all the way throughout high school. They would go to competitive meets and were well known for their achievements. Many believed the duo would eventually head to the olympics as they had bright futures ahead of them.

However, fate had other plans. During Marie's senior break, the two siblings took a trip to the beach to celebrate the year and just have fun. They went with friends and had a grand time. On the day they were to go back home, Fyn convinced Marie to go for another swim. It was the last swim as Marie didn't come up for air at one point. She accidentally got stuck while swimming under and Fyn could not find her in time. By the time he did, she had already drowned. Even after a friend tried to resuscitate her, it was to no avail.

For years, Fyn felt he was at fault. Had he not asked to go for a swim, she would be around. Had he found her earlier or never taken his eyes off of her, she may have survived. Even with all of the therapy sessions his mother forced him into, he could not make peace with himself. He dropped out of high school and left to live with a relative for a few months after her death because the town was full of too many memories that made it difficult to cope. He returned a year prior and still struggles. Fyn these days has taken up the bottle and just tries to enjoy whatever time he can.​

Sorry it took a while. Hope this is okay. Let me know if there's anything I should change

Reactions: AshenAngel
Are there still some open spots for this going?

Name: Soren Ejiri

Physical Appearance: Soren stands at a height of about 5 feet and 8 inches and weighs in at about 130 pounds. Her body has a pretty slim build. She has black hair and a hazel brown eye color. Her clothing style is pretty bland and uneventful, usually limited to the most comfortable thing she can get together from her closet such as hoodies with sweatpants or sometimes even a loose shirt with PJ pants. She does have a tattoo on her right arm.

Quirks:
  • Bites her finger nails for seemingly no other reason than boredom.
  • Tends to switch over into passive-aggressive mode whenever someone is bothering her.
  • Only sleeps about four to five hours every night.
  • Has an Irish accent when speaking.
  • Tends to speak her mind without much consideration for those around her.

• She loves cooking, for herself and for others.
  • Enjoys pretty much all foods.
  • She plays a lot of video games.
  • She lives for good competition.
  • She is a huge horror fan. Shows, books, movies, art, etc.
  • Being lazy and relaxing is just up her alley.
  • She listens to rock and metal music.
  • Cold and rainy days as an excuse to stay indoors.
  • She knows how to handle her liquor.

Dislikes:
  • She hates people who cheat.
  • She cannot stand blatant lying.
  • Smoking has never been her thing, it's nasty.
  • She hates having to be active.
  • Warm and sunny weather is a no go.
  • Busy and noisy places are to be avoided.
  • She hates disrespecting others.
  • Techno and EDM music sounds like noise to her.
  • She doesn't like the responsibility of caring for someone/something else.
  • She dislikes those who take advantage of people worse off.

History:
Soren was born in Ireland to an Irish mother and a Japanese father. Her mother and her adopted her father's last name and it made her stand out quite a bit as she was the only Asian person in the village she lived in next to her father. To some it was an incentive to try and bully her but due to Soren's already overly relaxed and easygoing attitude at a young age she didn't mind anything they tried to say to her much, causing most of the bullies to let go of trying quite quickly. This was an attitude that would stick with her for life.

When she was in her teens, her father got a job in the United States, causing her family to have to move there. They ended up moving to New York where her father was quite a successful business man, allowing Soren to do as she pleases and try to chase whatever dream she had at that age. For her it was playing video games competitively. She already loved going to arcades and she hungered for competition so this was definitely something she wanted to pursue. Her other dream was to become a better programmer, already being fascinated by computers.

With some money from her father on her 18th birthday, she bought herself a computer, becoming really invested into strategy games and quickly becoming quite good at them to. She would lock herself in her room for hours just playing and grinding to become better so she would be ready to show to other competitors how good she really was. The only times she would get out was for food, coffee or to go to the arcades. While her parents worried about her, she was making money by going to tournaments and made enough that she could try and live on her own in combination with her doing freelance programming work.

Now that she lives on her own though, there is really no reason for her to go out much besides to hang out with certain people, buy groceries or to go out to arcades or tournaments. However, she enjoys her life like this as she needs no other reason than this is what she loves doing and this is what keeps her sane throughout the weeks. These weeks filled with constant surprised, new experiences and potential pain.