The Ambassadorial Ball

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xharoth turned towards the pale form of the one speaking of war, extermination and other fun things, who was talking to him.

"I'm not trying to listen in on you, but at times I can't help it. You're talking about war, and which is my field." He said, taking a step towards them and taking a sip of his drink. "I'm Xharoth Zeta 9572, of Xyria. We've been waging wars for as long as we know. And we still do. But now, some of us have started doing it for other reasons than to kill each other. Like for credits, weapons and other useful things." He explained. "To say it plainly; I'm the boss of a big bunch of mercenaries. Not too costly, yet quite efficient. Big guns, big guys and lots of carnage. A little something to help in your little war." He said with a wide grin. "Cruisers, tanks, grounds forces. All you need to not get exterminated."

Reactions: Some_Bloke
By now Bodjek was starting to feel ill. Legatus' warning was urgent, something he could not ignore. Though he in no way wanted to speak on behalf of his entire race about commitment to a conflict, at least not without input from his superiors, what Legatus told him was still grounds for worry. These "Exen" were dangerous...or so Legatus claimed. His passive mind clawed desperately to find some more diplomatic workaround, something more reasonable than gearing up for war. He found it difficult to believe that there could exist such a uniformly sadistic race. Would it be possible, or rather reasonable, to seek to make contact with the Exen and hear their side of the story first?

But he learned then that they weren't alone. A third individual had wriggled his way into their conversation, and it became immediately clear that he was nothing like Bodjek or his kin. He spoke comfortably of battle, something that made Bodjek's skin crawl. If he hadn't been willing to believe in warlike species a minute ago, he did now. This man was a mercenary. That said, Bodjek had no reason to assume the entirety of his race was geared toward battle, but since this was the first impression of his species that he received...

He bristled a little and turned back to the Curabitur. "Ms. Legatus, please, I recommend against being hasty," he hurried to say. "I am most grateful for your warning, of course. But I want no involvement in a conflict unless I have heard both sides. Do you truly believe these Exen impossible to reason with? They may have a forgivable reason to fight, or at least have had one to begin to fight, and the rest has been lost through years of poor communication. Not that you are poor communicators, of course!" He held up his hands in apology for any perceived insult. Damn, I really do talk too fast sometimes... "I merely recommend thinking this through first. And I mean no disrespect to you, good sir," he added, turning to the Xyrian. "I'm sure your fighting skills are formidable. But I'm inclined to avoid any further bloodshed if I can help it."

"Talk to the Exen?" Legatus replied "Talk to the Exen!? That's the first thing we tried doing! They flayed the diplomats alive! If you want to try talking to those savages, I only hope that you have a quick and painless death."

She sighed

"Sorry, I let my emotions get the better of me. The war started nearly fifty years ago when a scout ship of ours was investigating a system that the Exen had conquered. They Exen saw the ship and took it, sending us back a message consisting of a video with the captain of the ship being tortured and a warning saying that they'd learned our weaknesses and were coming to get us. We tried contacting the Exen and they actually replied. We arranged a meeting and in the middle of it, the Exen took the diplomats hostage. We tried again after more attacks on several colonies and they killed them quickly this time. On one occasion, I was sent to talk to an Exen captain in the hopes that we could stop the war."

She pointed to her metallic eye

"That's how I got this."

She finally turned her attention to Xharoth and offered him a handshake. She found the idea of sympathizing with the Exen disgusting and did not see Bodjek as a potential ally anymore. Xharoth on the other hand seemed interested in the war and even seemed to be offering some support.

"Hello, my name is Sapientes Legatus. I am the nominated ambassador of the Curabitur. My species will be grateful for your offer of support but I would like to hear more details first."

She cleared her throat

"Perhaps we can discuss this in private?"

Xharth's grin only grew as the pale female spoke. A race that couldn't be talked down, and indeed sounded quite brutal. Now this sounded like a war worth fighting!

"It's truly a pleasure." He growled happily. "And of course we can discuss details. Prices, numbers, where and what. I've got few secrets. And I doubt they will be of any importance."

He looked at the other, rather odd creature, who seemed... peaceful... pacifistic... weak.

"Yes, didn't the hosts offer each guest private quarters somewhere? Probably the most private area we'll find, don't you think?" He asked and looked for one of the crystals to ask for directions.

Reactions: Some_Bloke
Legatus apparently didn't like whatever Bodjek had said. She exploded. He recoiled in fear from her adamant language, not sure where he'd gone wrong but very much regretting it, whatever it was. The way she phrased it, the Exen indeed sounded monstrous, eager to dominate other races just for the sick satisfaction of it. The violence with which they'd treated any attempted diplomats from the Curabitur was unforgivable. And yet a part of him still grasped at straws. Maybe they've come to loathe the Curabitur alone and would be willing to listen to a third party? Maybe...

She'd already turned to the mercenary. Bodjek felt panic root itself in his gut. No! She's going the way of war! Of course, he couldn't fault her for wanting her people's protection at all costs. That was a reasonable thing for anyone to desire. But he'd only meant to provide another opinion. This new fear he felt was an irrational, personal one. This elegant being he'd looked up to was shutting him out when he'd had all intentions of offering friendship. Oh, no, and what would the board do if he came back and reported that he'd just made them all into a villain in the eyes of the entire Curabitur race? Her comment about 'speaking in private' drove it home. She did not want to talk to him anymore. His mind raced in desperation. Losing friend. Losing potential ally. Panic. Panic panic panic!

"Ms. Legatus, please, I meant no offense!" he cried. "I do not mean to downplay the atrocities committed to your kind! I'm sorry, truly sorry!" He took a shaky breath in an attempt to calm down. "I do not wish for us to be enemies. I cannot promise anything about war, but please, if nothing else...our doors are open to you. Should the war continue to escalate, I'm sure my fellows would give you refuge. The Klaressan Confederacy is a humble group of planets, but please, they are yours." His eyes drifted back to the Xyrian, where they hardened. He did not agree with a race that took pleasure in fighting, but if it would protect Legatus' kinsmen... He raised a hand and pointed at the mercenary. "You'd better do your job well, all right? Protect those folk. They don't deserve death." He lowered the hand and made to turn away. Yes...he liked Legatus, more or less, and he too wished for her people's safety.

But so did he wish for everyone's.

Legatus seemed to accept Bodjek's apology as she looked at him with some sympathy.

"That would not be a wise choice." Legatus replied grimly "For if you were to take the survivors of the Curabitur in as refugees you would put you entire species at risk. I am grateful for your offer, but I will not put a species unprepared for war with the Exen in an enormous amount of danger. You dislike war, but war is the way of the Exen. They know nothing else. If we want to stop them then we're going to have to beat them at their own game."

She turned her attention back to Xharoth.

"Shall we discuss the war in my quarters?" She asked

Xharth chuckled at Bodjek's "order", and replied with "As long as I get paid, I'll defend them. If I don't, I'll stop. And then I might even be hired against them." He was being brytally honest, yes, and he almost hoped it would anger the strange-looking one.

He then turned to a passing waiter and asked how to get to the quarters. "It's quite simple! Go oit the doors on tge sides of this hall, and press a limb or your mind against one of the orbs there. A line of crystals will glow to show you the way!" The waiter answered cheerfully.

"After you then, Legatus." Xhorth said, motioning towards one of the doors.

The look Legatus gave Bodjek after that was one of pity. He felt some sort of emotion he couldn't quite explain burn in his core as the Curabitur and then the Xyrian responded to him. Perhaps Legatus at least meant well, but he felt as if both of them were talking down to him, treating him as one who was hopelessly naïve, altruistic to the point of foolishness. His expression turned stormy, mirroring his thoughts. A part of him felt insulted, but a stronger part felt shaken. The Curabitur, an elder race he had admired, was willing to turn to war, and there were races more than willing to oblige, even in this day and age. Had his own kind had it wrong all along? He bit his lower lip as he resisted the urge to respond to Xharoth's jab. Whatever his response would've been would not have been coherent or appropriate. It was clear from his face that he truthfully didn't know what to say to either of these people. After another moment he sighed in defeat. "Well, then, the best of luck to both of you," he muttered. "I will discuss these matters with my fellows when I return. Until then..." He dipped his head to Legatus, though his expression was somber. "It has been a pleasure. Take care." He turned away, picked up his empty plate, and slowly slid back towards the tables of food.

To think that what his people had strived so hard to achieve was incorrect, misguided... No, he couldn't accept that. He couldn't accept that a desire for peace was foolish. However, choosing the path of war would guarantee results; he had to concede that. The question was whether those results were worth it. Who was in the right?

A look at the snack tables informed him that he no longer felt hungry, not with his mood this dull. After discarding his plate in the nearest receptacle, he slithered over to the bar and asked for a glass of frostberry wine. He leaned against a nearby table with the glass of chilled indigo liquid in hand, halfheartedly switching between observing those around him and quietly having an existential crisis.

Legatus shot Xharth a half-smile and walked through the door and placed her hand against one of the orbs. A line of crystals pointed to her right. She walked slowly towards her quarters, glancing back every once in a while at Xharth to see if he was trying anything. She had to be alert for any possible threats.

She stopped at the door to her quarters and looked back at Xharth.

"I can't help but feel sorry for Bodjek and his people" She sighed "If the Exen were to find out about them, they would be wiped out."

Xharth cast another glance towards Bodjek with a slight grin, before following Legatus out into the hallway and towards her quarters. As he followed the guiding crystals, he slipped a hand into a pocket, and pulled out a cigar and a lighter. He bit off the one end, and spat it out onto the floor, before putting it between his teeth again and lighting it.

"The weak die, hide or cover behind the strong. It's how we living things function. Though with the addition of riches, it's added the weak who pay the strong, either for protection or to be left alone." He grumbled, taking a deep pull of the cigar, and letting it seep out between his teeth, with the pleasing smell of burnt diesel. "Of course, the strong sometimes use their riches to let other strong ones to do it for them, so they don't have to." He chuckled, taking another pull. "Let's head in, shall we?" He asked, pushing open the door.

The room was large, with a sitting area of couches and some small tables, as well as a small kitchen at the opposing wall. A large bed could be seen in a adjacent room. Growing crystals were placed around the walls, as well as a rather large crystal next to the door, which seemed to be pressable.

When Zelx heard how the male Dehlgyr pronounced ¨Biological species¨ it seemed as if they knew about others like The Savaant and it would seem that it wasn't a good experience. It eyed the the machines which seemed to interact with the Dehlgyrs body, it trully resembled how The Savaant warriors were built but without the machines and more symbiotes. "I see, It is trully a shame that your species werent the first ones we met. The ones we did meet were not so, friendly at first contact." It looked down as It remembered the first war they had to fight against other space faring races, it was also the first war they had fought as the Savaant and not as a Symbiote used by other species to enhance themselves.

Zelx gave another glance at the nerve-fibers that Kyhaln showed It and tilted It's head a tiny bit. "But i have to say that it is fascinating how youre species have used similar technology as our bio-enginering even though it is also so different, if we werent standing around food i woudn't have minded showing the ¨connecting¨ of a Symbiote and a host. But i do not belive our fellow Ambassadors would like to see that." A slight chuckle vibrated from the symbiote as Zelx tried to lighten the mood, It twitched slightly as it felt psychic links being made around It but also disconnected truly this ball was brimming with life.

Even as It spoke It could feel a powerfull growl through the Hive Mind, it would seem that a vessel had crash landed on a planet during a jump. While Zelx was to continue It's talks with the other Ambassadors the Hive Mind would try to find out where mentioned Vessel had disapeared, hopefully it woudn't cause anything major.

Verain gets up and floats over to the food table. He grabs a few morsels then reurns to his table. "Hmmm who to speak to next, so many possibilities. Shall I seek out a more war-like race and get a greater military force, or perhaps a more peaceful race. Hmm, yes. A peaceful race. They can help our economy and our peoples diversity." Verain looks around, he then sees Bodjek looking a bit down. He goes over o him. "What seems to be the problem friend?"

Kyhaln nodded when the Savaant mentioned how their first encounter with alien races hadnt been of a friendly nature. Their war of escape against the Fear had been going on longer than any records, but the first encounter was thought to all new soldiers. *Though it has probably been altered since the actual encounter... not that their behavior suggests anything else.* He looked up at the male *did they have genders?* Savaant as he mentioned showing things the other ambassadors likely wouldnt appreciate.

"I can agree with that, heh, I suppose I could say the same. There are few parts of my exoskeleton I cant open, and most parts are not exactly made for cozy meetings haha." Kyhaln straightened again as his hand reverted back to its usual form, it would be itchy for hours. Taking a brief look around he could see a number of ambassadors engaged in discussions, probably trying to get a feel for their peers, he had an urge to rush through them all and learn their goals and angles. But the situation didnt call for any such behavior. He did however see the Slug-like person move over to the bar as his conversational partners moved away for a more private discussion *Interesting, havent I fought at the side of those things the glowing female run off with?* A slight churn in his head made the Dehlgyr turn towards the Savaant again.

"I am Kyhaln by the way. Nice to make your acquaintance. I have to ask you, are you connected to something like a hive-mind, and should I think of you with a gender or as a part of a whole?" The tall Dehlgyr was already finished when he noticed that he had started talking with the same tone he used with his troops. Hopefully the Savaant wouldnt consider it too rude. Trying to change his subject he beckoned the symbiotic eyes of the humanoid and started walking towards the slug.

"How about we have a bigger group of discussion? The early encounters tend to take far to long in my opinion." Kyhaln was almost at the bar when the floating thing with the arm-blades got up to the slug, but he couldnt change his course without making a fool out of himself. So he settled himself down next to them. Asking the bartender-crystal for liquid fear, and got something that could possibly be called that.

Bodjek looked up from his glass when he heard someone approach. This was a species he did not know. The creature appeared to be clad in some formidable-looking armor, beneath which its red body could be seen glowing faintly, and like the ball's crystal hosts, it hovered above the ground instead of using any physical means of locomotion. Though Bodjek was leery of the being's vicious appearance, it—or rather, he—seemed friendly. He chuckled sadly and set his drink on the bar. "Oh, nothing, just reassessing my most beloved values," he said, unable to keep the bitterness out of his voice. But he turned and did his best to smile politely at the newcomer. "I am Uthrirannel-nelkoriko-ranuth Makhne-ran of the Nulra, but no one addresses me that way, of course." He chuckled again in an attempt to keep the mood light. "Please call me Bodjek. And you, sir? I'm afraid I don't recognize your species."

He noticed a tall being that seemed to have an exoskeleton coming up to the bar in his peripheral vision, but he paid the creature no more mind after noticing it. The polite thing to do was speak to the one who had addressed him.

" You may call me Verain of the Fibrosian Empire. Glad to make your acquaintance, reassessing your most beloved values hmm? I know the feeling, my.... or rather my father's empire is experiencing a bit of strife thanks to our new philosophy." Verain "sat" down, setting down his plate.

"I guess so, it was good to make some conversation even for a short while at that. I am glad to have met you Aiyla" Karum spoke before doing a slight bow to show his courtesy. The Genomian didn't usually do that unless if he was talking to a person of great power, and my did Karum love power. He was hoping that he wouldn't use his own power and strength at this event, any thing that was threatening usually got him going. As he left the Raptir woman, he walked over to the other two.

"I see you are making good conversation," Rikon spoke to the Genomian as he came close. "Just letting people know of where we come from" Karum responded, "Who do we speak to next?" Rikon was looking around, many beings were having conversation, it was difficult to chose. "Why don't we head into the private quarters we were given. Maybe we can figure out a plan of who we should talk to."

Rikon Thought about this and shook his head, "You should get some rest Freya, relax or something, i know you want to write stuff down, but let me and Karum deal with this for a moment, by speaking to the others. You have been driving your self to insanity until we got here just by thinking. Just relax for a little bit." Freya took this as a thought and agreed, "Fine, but don't make any agreements until I am there to record them." Rikon nodded before she walked off towards the quarters. Rikon looked over to Karum, "Let us try to make conversation with someone, shall we?"

Verian was this new being's name, and he was presumably a Fibrosian. Bodjek nodded in greeting. The mention of Verian's "father's empire" caused him to stiffen, though. The whole Fibrosian Empire belongs to his father? He belatedly bowed deeper. "Ah, sir, am I in the presence of a prince? Please, have my apologies for any impropriety!" He straightened up and belatedly put a polite smile on his face, hoping he hadn't looked too worried about the revelation. "You say your empire has instated some big ideological changes recently? Might I inquire as to what those might be?"

Legatus didn't like being refereed to as weak, even if it was indirectly but supposed that she didn't have much of a choice. Xharth wanted payment in order to fight the Exen. If that was the way he wanted to wage war, then she had to adapt to it in order to get him on her side even if she didn't like the way he was doing things.

"How much riches are we talking about?" She asked, getting straight to the point "How much would you need to fight the Exen?"

Xhart walked over to the sitting area and sat down, making himself comfortable. "My price depends very much on what exactly you want. A squad of warriors is cheap. A tank battalion is more expensive. If you want my entire fleet, it'll cost you a lot. After all, moving a whole fleet costs a lot in just fuel and food. Ammunition and maintenance for our weapons if we are to use them. Lost manpower and hardware." He explained with a wide grin as he blew some more smoke.

"But let's assume you want my entire fleet, because that sounds likely against someone who wants to exterminate your entire race." He chuckled. "I'll give you some nice, round numbers, to make it easy. 50 billion galactic credits, and 2 ships of at least dreadnought class. That should just about cover it. Discussion of price is acceptable. Though it wont go down. It's if you suggest some alternate payments." He said, leaning back and taking another deep pull of his cigar.

Karum looked around, "Maybe we should find the host maybe strike up a conversation with him or something? We haven't seen him since the beginning of the event." Rikon thought about that idea, "If so maybe we can make an announcement, a toast possibly to the beings here?" Karum nodded as he looked around for the crystalline being. Rikon looked as well , not sighting the being yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.