The Airvenger

Zakiya jabbed the three times at her partner, noting how the hands using the sword to deflect her attacks had become sloppy, and unsteady. She paused, letting the trainee lapse into the default defense stance of his chosen weapon. The trainee before her held the tip of the sword at the correct angle, but she should just faintly see it trembling. That was enough to betray the muscle fatigue he must have been feeling.

"Ah. Tired i see." She smiled.

The trainee looked at her with weary trepidation.

Immediately she attacked.

Manipulating the heavy weapon with a firm grip and swift smooth motions within the wrists, she delivered three vertical strikes delivered in a propeller like succession , the obsidian blade nothing but a blur.

The first swoop deftly knocks the blade from the trainees fingers.

The second passing of the blade barely nicked the man's shoulder.

The third landed with a dull thunk as the of back the scythe's head collides with the deck, the sheer weight of the foot and a half blade and its momentum driving the tip an inch into the wood.

It all happened within a span of a moment.

In fact, various trainees had failed to notice, and had only paused to stare at the sound of the scythe colliding with the wood of the deck.

The trainee stared at her with a mixture of indignation and perhaps a bit of fear. The dark cloak and the scythe did little to abate his discomfort.

"You didn't have to cut me."

"I beg your pardon." she purred.

Zakiya plucked the scythe from the deck, drawing it up and setting the butt of it onto the deck with another dull thunk. For a spare moment. Zakiya simply stared at her partner, smirking softly behind her veil when the Man's eyes failed to meet hers.

The other trainees had long ago lost interest, but she felt the eyes of her partner on her back keenly as she wandered back the the guard rail of the deck to peer down at the loading dock. A lone figure was sprinting toward the four prospective trainees with wasp. They were all so far below the beck, she could barely distinguish their faces.

"They'll be coming to play with me soon." She said softly.

Unnoticed to her, the trainee shivered at the strange resonating voice of the hooded woman, her scythe held steady beside her like a harbinger of death. The irony of it all was that before him stood a jolly trickster who seemed to have the tongue of a gentry woman and the strength of a brute.

He let lose a half-hearted laugh.

"More playmates... the poor bastards."

The finishing statement barely brushed Zakiya's ears, but she addressed it nonetheless.

Her voice, as usual, held an odd mixture of mirth and malice.

"Curb your tongue. I will not warn you again."

"Or what?"

Zakiya did not even humor him a glance, and unnoticed by the trainee, her muscles tense at the challenge. She couldn't make any more trouble than she already had. She could not afford to maim people. Not now. So she left the response as semi- aggressive as possible.

"You won't like the next time we have a play date dear."

She listened as the trainee grew silent. For a while, she simply gazed down at the docks below, not allowing her slight discomfort at the man's challenge effect her posture. Finally, the trainee's footsteps fade away as the man walks away, leaving her be. Her deep brown eyes refocused upon the five new trainees.

"Welcome to aivenger" She murmured ruefully. "Oh... the adventures that await ye upon the ship of mayhem..."

Anxious to get on board and train, Akira began kicking at the dirt on the ground. Coughing as dirt clouded around her, she stopped for a while and simply tapped her foot. Hopefully, they'd get on soon. She couldn't wait to see the interior of the ship. After a while, Akira stopped tapping her foot and simply stood quietly.

She patted her sword case a couple of times. Feeling the black leather beneath her fingers soothed her. Soon, she'd be training. Akira smiled at the thought of hearing metal clash during a training session.

Soon enough, Akira's mind was wandering again.

Aladdin grunted while bowing his head in respect, "Your worries will no be in vain, the animal will be fully cared for by me" he spoke while inwardly smiling. At that he scampered away from the ship, he was quite pleased with himself that he had manged to convince.. Wap ? Wasp ?-- Hell, he could hardly remember, he was enjoying the moment. He was a animal person not a people person. When it came onto life and death, he would rather save an animal than risk his life for ungrateful human beings as he would see it. By the time he had gotten his excitement down he had arrived onto campus grounds once again. From a distance he heard his horse, Heathcliff, grunt. He was always a intelligent horse, as intelligent as once could be at the least. Going closer he noticed the reason for that, a guard had the nerve to whip his stallion.
"
Sir, may I ask what the HELL you think you are doing ?!" Aladdin yelled while gritting his teeth.
"
The animal is in the way, either take it away if it be yours or I have orders to shoot it down, kid." ...What ? Once could only imagine the images that spread withing the mind of Aladdin. Without a second thought he sprinted towards the bearded man and tackled him onto the floor. The man was quick and managed to pull out his gun while Aladdin proceeded to wrestle with him over posession of the weapon. BAM ! BAAAM ! Went the gun shots, said noise managing to get the attention of onward lookers. Heathcliff at this point had gotten beyond frightened, raising his massive huffs upwards, almost hitting both men that still fought for dominance. Aladdin had gotten under said man as he kicked him hard, at the least hard enough to get him stunned even for mere seconds. He sprung hastily, reaching for his stallion-- There lied his favorite weapon, a machete. Grabbing the weapon he faced once again the man... " Now... Where were we ?" He sang with venom in his voice.

--

"
Sir, I have returned." Exclaimed a happy Aladdin while guiding his stallion onwards towards the ship.

Once everyone was back, Wasp led them up the ramp into the lower quarters of the ship.

"The horse will be staying over here," he told Aladdin, leading them to a pen in the back that was original used for farm animals when the ship was a transporter. It was never converted to anything else so it was perfect for the horse to stay until they could figure out better arrangements.

"We'll leave you to cleaning up the place and getting whatever you need for the horse taken care of," Wasp told Aladdin. "You may ask for whatever you need, help or materials, before we take off."

Once the horse was in its pen and settled, Wasp led them up a floor.

"This is the crew dorm area. They usually sleep down here because the engine rooms and such are around here. Some of them have to go to higher floors, but most of the crew are mechanics."

They went up another floor, and Wasp walked them down to one end of the hall where a large room was.

"This is the training room. I have different times set up for classes, and whenever those classes are not going on then I am free for one-on-one practices and group training."

Then he turned to the five following him.

"You will be in dorm rooms on this floor with one other person," Wasp explained. "I will take you to your rooms, but first, any questions?"

Aladdin nodded at Wasp's instruction following him attentively. " The horse needs no more items as of now, I have already brought them. It will be as if he were never here " He declared passionately as he settled Heathcliff down into the pen. '' You mean.. We will be rooming ? " He questioned, he had never shared a tent with family nonetheless a room. The thought of his space and belongings being invaded annoyed him, but he just stayed quiet.
"No questions as of now.... With your permission sir, It has been a long travel from both our sides I presume. I would like to get some rest directly afterwards" Aladdin commented as he followed Wasp.

Akira followed Wasp and the others excitedly. Finally. She thought.

They finally made it to the dorms where Wasp said, "You will be in dorm rooms on this floor with one other person," Wasp explained. "I will take you to your rooms, but first, any questions?"

Akira let out a small sigh. "I have a question. Do we really have to share rooms?"

Ivin had left Academy with huge regrets. He had so many regrets they just seemed to gnaw him from the inside out. And nothing was scarier sometimes than a discarded guardian-in training- with a chip on his shoulder, festering.

Wasp had been more than helpful when he'd first boarded. Ivin gave respect where it was due, and kept to himself a good part of the time he'd spent on Airvenger. Someone mentioned hinting, that he'd have a roommate soon. But he wasn't too worried. He had nothing really valuable to steal, just a few books he read before lights out.

So it wasn't really surprising, when Ivin finished his chores early, and headed down to the engine room to see if Ryu needed help. The guy was nice enough, and it was a relief to know there were some decent people here. But Ivin never let his guard down, just in case he was provoked spontaneously or if he was needed to help with something else. Never knew what task lay ahead!

Nestled deep into the furthest reaches of Engine Room B, Ryu was completely unaware that there were new recruits being shown around the ship. In fact, he wasn't even sure of the date or how many hours it'd been since he'd eaten or slept. All he knew what that this engine was leaking oil and it had to be fixed. Sure, the ship had two other engines but having one on the fritz would mean a delay in Captain Vhant's plans. Ryu owed everything to that man and so he had to do his best to keep the ship running as if it were brand new.

A dazed little smile clung to his lips as he sat on the dirty floor, grease and thick black oil smudged not only on his dark green coveralls and gray muscle shirt but on his chin and forehead as well. His arms were tired from practicing his Guardian duties earlier but he didn't mind forcing a little more use out of his tired muscles if it was to tinker with a machine. He paused a moment, setting down the large wrench in his grip to reach up and wipe sweat from his forehead. It was then that he noticed his legs had gone to sleep, so he leaned back and straightened them out, wiggling his toes to regain some feeling. For a moment he sat like that, staring blankly at his bare feet before him and pondered.

Lately a boy named Ivin would come to visit him. Ryu wasn't absolutely sure why, since they rarely talked much, though he suspected Ivin was bored. Ryu didn't mind, even if it seemed like he wasn't even paying attention half the time. People didn't seem to understand his personality too well. Well, except maybe Ivin.

Picking the wrench back up, he took to humming a tune as he worked away on the finicky machine in the sauna of an engine room.
"The city sleeps 'cause it's a peaceful night~" he sang softly, smiling a little more as he remembered the song his grandmother would sing to him every night when he was just a child.

Seriah gasped quietly when she first caught site of Aladdin's horse, he was such a beautiful stallion. She waited for the rest of the group to walk slightly ahead, before she leaned over the pen gate and gently stroked his forehead. He nuzzled her hand and she smiled, "hopefully I'll see you later beautiful" she said softly before hurrying to catch up with the group.

She listened to Wasp and commited the layout of the ship to her memory, she ran into the back of because she wasn't looking ahead. She gave him an apologetic smile, "sorry." Her attention was drawn back to Wasp, "You will be in dorm rooms on this floor with one other person." She fowned a little at that, she was a quiet person and liked to relax in her room alone. Oh well if she had to share, she hoped she didn't get someone too loud.

The layout of the ship seemed easy enough to remember. Aki let his eyes wander as the group was shown around, taking in the sights, memorizing faces. There were already several places he wanted to investigate and poke around in but that could wait. They were headed for the dorms now and after this really long, annoying day, he couldn't wait to get a little rest.

As they came to a stop at the dorms, Aki took to leaning against the wall, hands in his pockets with one foot lazily crossed over the other. Sharing rooms sounded like...well like a lot of work. He could only keep up his cool guy act for so long. Now how would he relax and just be himself without any privacy? He'd have to find a hiding place soon.

He wondered who would have the pleasure of being his roommate and hoped to hell it was going to be someone fun instead of gloomy and silent. That Aladdin guy had a cool horse but he didn't exactly seem like the friendly type. He'd be the hardest one to win over.
"I don't mind sharing a room," he sighed, pushing away from the wall. Turning his attention on Wasp he added, "With whom am I paired?" Actually, he hoped it was someone already on the ship, not that he didn't like his fellow recruits but he'd see them often enough during classes, right?

"Hey, Ryu. Need help down here?" Ivin asked in his usual mellow voice. He seemed more at ease in the engine room, and though he never did anything but his best on any of his chores, it was clear he preferred this place above any other on the ship.

He got to work helping Ryu without really needing a yes or no for an answer, and tossed the guy an apple, knowing how he forgot to eat. It was amazingly easy to forget all about the normal troubles and problems of the ship down here. It was a nice -stress free- environment, which truthfully, Ivin sorely needed once in a while...~

Wasp looked at each of them, and then nodded. Yes. You will be with a roommate. Um..." Looks at the odd number and sighs. "You two boys will be rooming with two boys who were already here so they can show you around and teach you the ropes. Unfortunately I cannot do the same for you girls. We only have one girl who is currently roommate-less, and I cannot split most of the other groups up because they have fresh people as well from other towns. So, two of you will be rooming together."

Wasp looked over the three girls and thought about it. "Lyra, I believe I'll stick you with our veteran girl and Akira and Pixie will be rooming together."

Wasp walked back down the hall and stopped in front of a door. On it was a bronze plate that read "Gavin."

"Aladdin. I will leave you to get settled here."

He turned to a door that said "Ivin."

"Aki."

Wasp led the girls down to the other end of the hall and pointed to a room void of any plates. "Akira and Pixie, this will be your room."

And Lyra he led a little farther down and knocked on a door that said "Saye."

"Lyra," he said before walking off.

Saye heard the knock and jumped up to answer it. She knew what happened when the ship docked around this time of year, and she had been told that most likely she'd be seeing several new faces and would most likely get herself a new roommate.

"She opened the door and smiled brightly at the girl standing on the other side.

"You must be my new roommate! I'm Saye! Come on in! Make yourself at home!"

Akira glanced at the girl named Pixie, but didn't say anything. Instead, she followed silently as Wasp led them to their room. She stood in front of the door silently for a few moments.

"Well," she began, "I suppose this means...we should get to know each other and such." Akira smiled a little as she opened the door to the room and walked in.

Seriah followed behind Wasp and turned to face Akira, she smiled back a little shyly and nodded. "Okay well first off my names Seriah, but my friends call me Pixie." She followed Akira in and glanced at the room, it was divided down the middle. She turned to Akira, "which side did you want?" She asked politely, it didn't matter to her since both sides were the same. However she'd met people at the academy who were really suspicious about such things, and she wanted to get of on the right foot with her new roommate.

To be honest she wanted to get her stuff set up as quickly as possible so she could explore a little, she especially wanted to check out the training area. If no one was using it she wanted to get in some more practice with her bow, and her close combat skills.

Lyra's shoulders relaxed slowly in relief, her face breaking into a friendly smile as the girl before her welcomed her into the room. She was always hesitant when meeting new people, she really didn't want to have to deal with anyone unpleasant while she was trying to get her thoughts in order. She still wasn't completely over the shock of finding her apartment stripped bare and was having a bit of a time acting normally when her thoughts were a million miles away. She hadn't even realized Wasp had mentioned roommates until she was face to face with hers. Saye seemed genuinely excited to have a roommate though and was very friendly and welcoming- thank goodness.

She walked into the room, shutting the door quietly behind her, "I'm Lyra, nice to meet you! I bet it was probably nice having this place to yourself, sorry for the intrusion." Lyra smiled wryly, some people desperately craved privacy- hopefully Saye didn't mind sharing. She tossed her book bag and knapsack onto the bed, taking a quick survey of the room. It was modest but comfortable looking, and very clean which was exactly how Lyra liked it. She reached for her bags to begin unpacking, but then realized she had very little to unpack and this could be done quickly before retiring tonight. She let her hands fall back to her sides and laughed, shrugging, "I guess I travel rather light, plus Wasp mentioned being able to get us anything we'd need."

Lyra sat on the edge of the bed, relieved to be off of her feet for a moment, and faced Saye, "So... how long have you been here?"

Akira smiled, "Nice to meet you, I'm Akira." She looked around the room. Both sides were pretty much the same, and Akira could care less which side she got. But since her new roommate had been considerate enough to ask, she'd choose.

"I don't really care, but I'll take the right side." She sat on the edge of the right bed and set her backpack and case on the floor. "When do you suppose we'll start training?" she wondered out loud.

Aladdin nodded groggily at Wasp's explanation, he did not care with whom he roomed with just as long as he had a room. His interested and eyes sparked up once the mention a of a fella named Gavin-- Gavin, Gavin, he rummaged and scanned through his brain but the name did not ring any bells. It was fine either way, but he could just hope that the sir would not be a man of any problems. He liked his things neat and organized, and he intended to keep it that way. Stepping closer to the door, he knocked softly as to see if there was a person already located there and to let them now. No respond came-- Well it would of come perhaps if he had waited a nice cordial second more but Aladdin opened the door harshly and scanned the room in a matter of seconds. Once a bed was located he threw his bag onto the bed and then proceeded to lay in it himself.

"
Wake me up and I'll kill ya'... "

Wrapped up in his work, like usual, Ryu hadn't even noticed his visitor until something collided with the side of his head. Blinking out of his daze, he glanced around with a lazy stare and when he spotted the apple laying a few feet away, he tilted his head to the side and raised his eyebrows a fraction of an inch with intrigue.

He let the wrench in his hand rest on his knee as he stared at the apple, wondering how it had gotten there and why it had bothered to strike his skull in a most rude manner. Perhaps there was a new recruit who's pendant summoned forth delicious fruits to combat foes and their weapon had gotten away from them? Or it could have been that Captain Vhant was testing a top-secret teleporter prototype and had chosen a nutritional test subject?

Many other wild explanations floated through his mind before he stumbled upon his common sense again and thought to look up and see if anyone had simply just thrown it at him. And of course...
"Oh. Hello Ivin," he said with bit of a smile. He looked tired, though someone like Ivin, who knew him at least a little, couldn't quite be sure considering Ryu often held a sleepy, dazed expression. "Thank you for the lovely gift," he added, reaching out to pick the apple up, though not before wiping his hands on his coveralls. "Would it be alright if I ate it?"

As the others headed off into their own rooms, Aki stood outside the door of the room Wasp had assigned to him, hesitating only because he was unsure of how to present himself to this roommate. Taking a deep breath, he decided on his grand entrance and reached for the handle...only to find the room empty.

"...Well that was anti-climatic," he grumbled and pushed the door shut with his foot as he gazed around the room. Divided in half. He couldn't disagree with the setup. Slipping his satchel over his head, he kicked off his shoes and moved further into the room. It was obvious which side was taken and which one was going to be his new living space only because of the few things left out on one side.

This guy sure is organized, he thought to himself. Aki couldn't be called either or when it came to organization. Most days he was neat and tidy, but then some days he was just too tired or couldn't be bothered to put things away. He wondered how Ivin would react to that...
"Well, won't know until he shows up."

Aladdin had the right idea; rest sounded too good to pass up right now. So, setting his satchel down next to his bed, he flopped belly first onto the mattress and closed his eyes.

Saye sat down next to Lyra with a big smile.

"I've been here only a couple of weeks, actually. But I already love it! I'm sure you will love it too!" Saye exclaimed. "Do you need anything? I can call up a crewmember and they'll go get you things, with you escorting them. I'll even go along!"

Saye jumped up like she was about to go get a crewmember, but stopped by the door to wait for Lyra's response.

The sounds of voices and doors closing could be heard down the hall and around the corner. Gavin guessed the newer recruits were here, which meant he'd have a new room mate, probably. Which is fine if he doesn't bother him. Starting down the hall he saw some of the new people going into their rooms or saw the doors shutting. One of the doors just closing was his. Gavin prepared himself for social interaction. He clumped down the hallway opened the door and stepped in and closed the door behind him again. When he stepped in he saw the new guy. Laying on his bed. Gavin's reaction was a brief turning down at the corners of his mouth. He walked over and tapped the dude's leg with the back of his hand and said in a deep tone "Hey, buddy. You're in my bed." He looked on him with his hard face, always seeming like he feels nothing. But for those who knew to look, his eyes were not so hard.