The AI Project (OOC/Sign ups) ONE OPENING

Do you think allowing additional characters per player is a good idea?

• Yes! Unlimited!

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Yes! Up it to 4 (2 AI candidates max)

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Yes! Up it to 3 (2 AI candidates max)

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Nah, leave it as is

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Only if we can't get enough AI candidates

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • You should select certain people to be able to have multiple characters (based on activity)

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Other (I have started my opinion below)

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Go ahead and PM either Rainjay or myself with any questions you might have, we'll be happy to help.

As much as I'd LIKE to reserve it, I really need to understand the RP better first I think. I don't want to take a spot from another potential player until I'm 100% sure I understand everything and that I'll be able to be be active enough as this seems like a large scale RP and I know full well how easy it is become overwhelmed. I really don't want to hold it back at all XD
As Kraken said, you can PM either of us and we'll help. Sorry I didn't answer >.< Usually I'm on quite often but had to go do job application stuffs. But yes, feel free to ask anything ^.^

I'm really not sure what to do, character-wise, so at least for now, I'll probably be sitting things out. If I do get a solid idea that I think I can develop properly, I'll go ahead and post a sheet, though. I might go with the pilot idea, make a war veteran or the like. There's not much out on actual spaceship technology or space warfare, which means I could probably go absolutely nuts with it all. But, that would just end up with me doing crazy ship design stuff...which isn't exactly a character...

I'm really not sure what to do, character-wise, so at least for now, I'll probably be sitting things out. If I do get a solid idea that I think I can develop properly, I'll go ahead and post a sheet, though. I might go with the pilot idea, make a war veteran or the like. There's not much out on actual spaceship technology or space warfare, which means I could probably go absolutely nuts with it all. But, that would just end up with me doing crazy ship design stuff...which isn't exactly a character...
Take your time ^^ Your character is up to you. And if you have any questions always feel free to ask us. We do have a little bit planned out for the ship tech, but we didn't want to go crazy. I'll be posting it up either later tonight or tomorrow.

Reactions: ze_kraken
I've updated the tech tab with basic info on the ships; mainly the method the engines use to generate power. We're not sure about design though. So that's up in the air

This is probably even more important, as far as spacecraft propulsion goes. Is there FTL? Anything unique about the human method versus the Khaian one?

Design's a matter of aesthetics v. practicality. Are we going for a Star Trek Enterprise? Or a Forward Unto Dawn or Pillar of Autumn? I doubt that there would still be an idea of the more gritty and realistic Fireflies and the like since Earth's still intact and a-okay. In general, there are a few guidelines to the exterior design:
  • This is space. Ships that don't ever need to enter atmosphere don't need weight constrictions, particularly with cold fusion powering it. This means that warships can be any size with little to no concern.*
  • Aerodynamics - again for ships that don't need to enter atmosphere - isn't an issue either. No forces are pushing against you in space, so you don't need triangular shapes and the more airplane like designs (e.g. Borg cube stands out the most).
  • More realistic ships would require a centrifuge to generate gravity, this can be indoors, but it needs to be a central chamber (this can be ignored if we're going for more true sci-fi as opposed to science).
  • Thrusters need to be on all sides of the ship to control movement! You could turn without them, not very well or very fast. (or at least thrusters that can swivel 360 degrees)
  • Internal design shouldn't be all that much room, Minibit goes into the interior details much better than I can with this workshop: https://www.iwakuroleplay.com/threads/design-a-realistic-space-ship.41823/
But, these are just my rants on trying to blend realism with sci-fi. Feel free to discard it entirely if needed, but these are just some ideas.

*If we want to be picky, technically there would be issues with generating your own gravitational pull and getting close to planets causing huge issues to your structure, but that's nit-picky.

Last edited:
This is probably even more important, as far as spacecraft propulsion goes. Is there FTL? Anything unique about the human method versus the Khaian one?

I believe humans needed warp routes to use FTL whereas the Khaian could go FTL anywhere, right Rainjay?

Design's a matter of aesthetics v. practicality. Are we going for a Star Trek Enterprise? Or a Forward Unto Dawn or Pillar of Autumn? I doubt that there would still be an idea of the more gritty and realistic Fireflies and the like since Earth's still intact and a-okay. In general, there are a few guidelines to the exterior design:
  • This is space. Ships that don't ever need to enter atmosphere don't need weight constrictions, particularly with cold fusion powering it. This means that warships can be any size with little to no concern.*
  • Aerodynamics - again for ships that don't need to enter atmosphere - isn't an issue either. No forces are pushing against you in space, so you don't need triangular shapes and the more airplane like designs (e.g. Borg cube stands out the most).
  • More realistic ships would require a centrifuge to generate gravity, this can be indoors, but it needs to be a central chamber (this can be ignored if we're going for more true sci-fi as opposed to science).
  • Thrusters need to be on all sides of the ship to control movement! You could turn without them, not very well or very fast. (or at least thrusters that can swivel 360 degrees)
  • Internal design shouldn't be all that much room, Minibit goes into the interior details much better than I can with this workshop: https://www.iwakuroleplay.com/threads/design-a-realistic-space-ship.41823/
But, these are just my rants on trying to blend realism with sci-fi. Feel free to discard it entirely if needed, but these are just some ideas.
I think I'll post this up under the tech thing and just make it clear that people are free to create their own ships as long as it fits somewhat reasonable guidelines

When it comes to scifi, you just have to pick where you want to stand on things. Do you want realism and some attempt at "hard" SF, or otherwise care about being scientifically accurate? Or do you care more about story, and science can go sit in a corner? There's no real right or wrong way, but depending on the overall approach things will have to be very different in terms of overall approach. Space fighters are silly, but the image of a carrier battle is familiar enough that it's easy to transfer to space Same with star trek and its submarine battle approach.

I'd like to point out that another way to have simulated gravity inside a ship is to simply maintain an acceleration of 1 g. This makes "down" toward the engines, however, and could be inconvenient in some situations. Acceleration in general can be a big deal, and is actually one reason that you don't want to just keep piling mass onto your ships. Because then you need more thrust (and thus, engines) to get it moving in a reasonable amount of time. Or to slow it down. Or turn it around.

When it comes to scifi, you just have to pick where you want to stand on things. Do you want realism and some attempt at "hard" SF, or otherwise care about being scientifically accurate? Or do you care more about story, and science can go sit in a corner? There's no real right or wrong way, but depending on the overall approach things will have to be very different in terms of overall approach. Space fighters are silly, but the image of a carrier battle is familiar enough that it's easy to transfer to space Same with star trek and its submarine battle approach.

I'd like to point out that another way to have simulated gravity inside a ship is to simply maintain an acceleration of 1 g. This makes "down" toward the engines, however, and could be inconvenient in some situations. Acceleration in general can be a big deal, and is actually one reason that you don't want to just keep piling mass onto your ships. Because then you need more thrust (and thus, engines) to get it moving in a reasonable amount of time. Or to slow it down. Or turn it around.

That could work, my ideas were just that: ideas. Most ships will be up to PC discretion.

They're definitely some good guidelines. Since I assume you guys aren't going for heavy realism and more for space adventure, I'm sure it's fine to get a little fuzzy on the science. A good bit of verisimilitude is always nice though.

As much as I probably could keep rambling about this and that, I'll keep quiet now. Hopefully my discussions or whatever are useful, but I do feel a bit like an interloper.

They're fine. We're still working out kinks :P And outside discussion and suggestions are more than welcome. Soooo welcome xD We don't have the brainpower to come up with everything ya'know. And it is for the players. Which is why I do agree; more space adventure than science realism. But still, I like to have a few guidelines

Also, the joy of science fiction is that we really don't know what's the best model for any of this. It isn't proven, and so you can really do whatever you want with it as long as it isn't messing with what we already know.

It's always good to do. And for guidelines, best to get the big ones out of the way. Standard thrust/engines, what FTL is available, if it's available at all, same for artificial gravity.

Some other questions to answer (and/or leave to players)
How important is electronic warfare in ship to ship combat?
What about boarding?
What weapons technologies are common?
What weapons (if any) aren't available at all/can not exist?

Reactions: Rainjay
Electronic warfare for human battles would be crucial. Jamming communications, targeting systems, and others are necessary to gain the upper hand in a fight. Khaian systems might be immune or simply different enough for it to make much of an effect or works the same way (whatever way we take the 'alien' route).

Boarding parties have always been a stupid idea - without teleportation. Risking dropships, soldiers, and the like on a possible chance to be able to take out ships, at least the larger ones. That's not to say pirates and medium-sized ships might not board one another since they can have the manpower to do so. There's also always the idea of boarding planks that can drill into the hull, which could make is plausible, but of course that's all up to warfare style. Personally, I don't think boarding would be deemed an orthodox means of winning a fight in professional armies.

Weapon technology mainly consists of firearms with more advanced targeting and firing mechanisms. That being said, you cannot have a combustion-based weapon fire in space. I think we were tossing around the idea of railguns and experimental plasma for ship combat since railguns only cause combustion reactions from firing, not need them to fire in the first place, and plasma's the blank slate of sci-fi!

As for 'things that don't exist' I couldn't tell you. Lasers and plasma is restricted to humans, but beyond that, I don't know.

Actually, gunpowder in most modern firearms contains its own oxidizer and can therefore do its job just fine in a vacuum.

I'd say that if you can, say, hack into an enemy ship's systems and disable them that way, cutting the crew off from their own computer and essentially putting the ship under your control, then boarding's at least viable. Otherwise, getting there is risky to begin with and once you do get there, you have to hope they don't just seal you off and vent the atmosphere on you, or worse.

Reactions: Rainjay
Actually, gunpowder in most modern firearms contains its own oxidizer and can therefore do its job just fine in a vacuum.

I'd say that if you can, say, hack into an enemy ship's systems and disable them that way, cutting the crew off from their own computer and essentially putting the ship under your control, then boarding's at least viable. Otherwise, getting there is risky to begin with and once you do get there, you have to hope they don't just seal you off and vent the atmosphere on you, or worse.
Yup.. that would suck. Finally get onto the enemy ship and get sent out an airlock? Tough day

I did not know the gunpowder bit. *Really just knows all he knows about firing guns in space from Firefly's first episode*

That's assuming you even have the range to hack. Honor Herrington had missiles firing from miles away, since range really has no meaning when there's no air resistance or real friction to stop you. Wireless connections might not be able to reach that far if the engagements happen at the preferred and 'safe' range of very fucking far away! xD

Status
Not open for further replies.