The AI Project (interest check & request for GMs for worldbuilding help)

Are you interested?

• Very interested!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Interested

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Need more information

• Not interested

• Will not be joining

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rainjay

Original poster
ttheairproject_zpsaf3bcf60.png

Welcome to the AI Project
It is the year 2759.

Humankind has left their home planet and now explore the universe around them.
They travel to other systems in the Milky Way, colonizing planets and harvesting new resources.

We believed we had the entire universe at our fingertips.
We believed that we were alone in the universe.

We were not.
The Khaian's have run out of space in their galaxy, and have come looking to ours for new opportunities.
Intergalactic war ensued immediately.

In efforts to stop the war, Project AI has been initiated.
You are one of twelve men and women to take on a young AI in attempts to find the key to winning the war.
Good luck, and welcome to The AI Project.

What is the AI Project?
The AI Project is a top-secret military Project funded and organized by the UPN (United Planetary Nations). It's purpose is to create 'smart' AI that can cooperate with human soldiers in the war against the Khaian's. The Project is centered on the planet of Durness, where in a heavily guarded compound live the twelve AI and their creators. Twelve civilians have been selected to be 'test subjects'- they will each receive an AI that has been matched to them, and will undergo vigorous testing.

If the implantation process of each AI into the brain of their human 'hosts' goes smoothly, then the enhancement process will begin. Each AI has been programmed to be able to receive several enhancements, each having roughly five slots to fill for these abilities. These enhancements are designed mostly for the military, but will be tested through these twelve subjects before put into military use.

Who are you?
You are one of the twelve men and women selected for the AI Project. You have shown to be exceptional in your testing, and your records are exemplary, no matter what occupation and path you've taken in your life. For these reasons, and perhaps some more hidden ones, you stand out. Scientists have taken note of your accomplishments, and have chosen you. You've been matched to your AI prior to your notification that you are to report to Durness. Once you arrive, you will undergo basic testing, receive your service number, and soon, undergo implantation. Your participation, however involuntary, will be vital to winning the Khaian-Human war.

You will be property of the UPN, and there is no choice to be made. However, let it be known that what you choose to do with this AI is entirely up to you.

And the roleplay?
This roleplay is a mix between a sandbox and a plot driven roleplay- there will be times in which you can do whatever you wish, and other times in which the gamemakers will influence your path. However, these interruptions are only meant to further the roleplaying experience and help unravel the story despite the player's choices. This means that even if you choice to leave the AI Project, the ultimate plot goal will find its way around. Somehow.

It takes place in roughly 700 years in our future, in the midst of a war between humans and a species of humanoids called the Khaian's. There is much worldbuilding to be done and much of this will be left up to the players. Being so far into the future, there really is no saying what has and hasn't been discovered, what is and isn't possible. The universe is your limit! And the universe knows no bounds.

You can choose to be one of the twelve candidates for the AI Project, a civilian, a war hero- whatever suits your hearts. You may create technology, planets, cultures, governments; a large part of this roleplay is your participation in the creation of the universe! What happens in the story also depends largely on you and your actions.

[dash=blue]Rules
1. All Iwaku rules apply. No exceptions.
2. The word of the GM's are law, and they also hold the right to alter these rules at any time (although there will be notifications of such changes).
3. Two character a person limit. Only one Project AI candidate a person. NPC's do not count.
4. No godmodding- the only case in which this is acceptable is if a player is inactive for a week, and has not notified the GMs and players before hand. In that case, you may godmod only to free your character from conversation/interaction with said player's character.
5. No metagaming, powerplaying, OP characters, etc. You know the drill.
6. Please be prepared to post at least two well written paragraphs per post, and please post at least twice a week. If you are busy, or will not have internet access, please notify us, and you will be exempt from this rule.
7. However, please try to be active if you join this roleplay; at least, if you will be playing a Project AI candidate.
8. All CS's are subject to the GMs discretion; they will accept/decline at will, although they must provide a reason why and a chance to fix the CS.
9. Please try to add some detail into your CS. They aren't just scant little biographicals here; they should be an insight into your character.
10. Your AI's should somewhat match the given personalities in the list. Yeah, I know, it's a bit restricting, but each AI is designed to be different from the others.
[/dash]

I am keeping information on the roleplay on two websites, here and here. Both are a work in progress! Although I will be posting the majority of the background info below, please do feel free to go to the websites for more information if you're interested, or ask questions!

Hi! I'm always looking into more roleplays and wanting to run a few of my own, but I've got a full plate at the moment. However I've got this idea that may/may not be kind of cool, and if 1-2 people are interested in helping me plot and plan (be the GM's with me) then we could work on it together for a bit and then get it up into the air.

GMs would help me specify details, worldbuild, create history, refine the plot, and create some preset characters (necessary to plot) as well as help me run the roleplay when it's up, accept characters, advertise the roleplay, make sure the rules are followed, help maintain the roleplay when I'm unavailable. Having Skype access would be cool but is 100% unnecessary.

I just ask that the roleplay doesn't deviate too far from the original plot shown below.

1-2 GMs would be preferable, but up to 3-4 would be cool too.

If anyone is just purely interested in the roleplay, let me know. Support always helps :)

Suggestions are also always open!

Below is my general plot synopsis (didn't take long to write so it's very rough and I'll defo be adding to it when I get time and stuff):

Basic concept:

Sci-Fi, years into the future. Humankind has begun to expand its horizons, finally building ships that have the ability to travel and sustain living passengers through space, as well as having the tech to outfit these ships with boosters to greatly increase their speed, and to colonize new planets. Yup, colonize new planets. It's old news that they can; they've been colonizing planets across the galaxy for decades now, creating both colonies and new countries alike. It was a space race between the countries of the world, even though they were, at this time, vaguely united through the wonders of space.

But it wasn't long until they discovered new life forms, sentient, capable life forms, in the universe. These life forms were very much like humans and had far greater technology than the humans did, and came from a nearby galaxy. They've been on their own space race for much longer than humankind, and now the two species are playing a deadly game of Space Monopoly, trying to colonize as much as they can and get out of their limited galaxies and reaches as fast as possible.

The players of the game will primarily be focused on a colonized human planet, with a currently unknown name. They have been called from various parts of Earth for their expertise and ability to a government station, debriefed (very briefly), and then shipped off to this new planet. Why? Because they are the new test subjects for Project AI (for lack of a better name). Yes, AI have been around for centuries, why bring it up now?

Humans have often used AI in their daily lives to help not only in the military with intel and operations, but as security management, car drivers, bankers, etc. In fact, these programs have even taken residence inside of robots to help humans with day-to-day tasks, taking jobs that are incredibly easier for the AI to preside over than it is for humans. However, most of these AI, are 'dumb' AI. They don't possess sentient qualities; as far as humans are concerned, they are merely programs that can speak and move their mechanical parts, following their purpose and their masters word as law. Programs that are slaves. But useful ones, ones that don't really care that they are slaves.

However recently the technology for unlocking 'smart' AI has been unlocked. After testing several of these AI, they were primarily put into use on the battle frontier and in colonization ships, but now the governments want to do more. They want to know the full extent of these 'smart' AI and their capabilities. The first step is to test their interaction with humans. The players will have been picked for this purpose, to be matched with one of various pre-made AI in a 'test' of sorts. These AI will be implanted into each of them, providing constant company to their hosts. The idea is for the humans to work together with the AI, and to test the boundaries of the 'smart' AI's.

The secret project doesn't remain secret after a heavy breach in security allows for two tiny little data files to slip by in the enemies hands. Not only do they know of the project, but they do not want the humans discovering their secret- although it isn't much of a secret either. It has long since been known that one planet (of a currently unknown name) will provide the turning point of the war. It has been unclaimed, and heavily fought over- even though neither of the sides have reached it yet. The planet lays, currently, outside both of their boundaries, and is no-mans land. The humans want it because their opponents do, but why do they want it? That's their secret. Only they 'truly' know what is on that planet.

Rumors have been going around for the past decade on what possibly could be inside of that planet, or rather, on it. Ancient technology? A huge, universal weapon? The destruction of the entire universe? Theories go on forever, but there is only one that has been taken into popular account: Although the origin of this particular rumor has been passed into gray area and is no longer known, it was believed by that person that this planet, this war-changing planet, contains the technology to bring AI to life.

And that's when the shit hits the fan.

Please don't copy/steal the idea.

I've been working on it slowly but surely on my blog here. [/hr]

Last edited by a moderator:
This sounds cool(really cool) but will take a ton of work. You'll have to create tech trees for ships, world defense, personal use, etc. Is this something you already have ideas or thoughts? If not, It might be wise to high jack something from a video game. I'll keep an eye on this thread. I'm actually running an interest check of my own which, if it gets a handful of people, will require a good deal of my time. Otherwise, I may revisit and see if I can help you out.

This sounds cool(really cool) but will take a ton of work. You'll have to create tech trees for ships, world defense, personal use, etc. Is this something you already have ideas or thoughts? If not, It might be wise to high jack something from a video game. I'll keep an eye on this thread. I'm actually running an interest check of my own which, if it gets a handful of people, will require a good deal of my time. Otherwise, I may revisit and see if I can help you out.

I do have ideas for quite a bit of it that I just haven't thrown onto paper yet. Or rather, text. I just typed this up quickly before I went out to do some other stuff.

Thanks for the interest and good luck with your interest check! :)

I would be glad to help out, count me in.

I'm usually busy with stuff myself, but this definitely sounds interesting.

• Thank You
Reactions: Rainjay
I've updated the first post with some basic information and links to further info on the roleplay, in case anybody is still interested in helping GM. I'm still waiting for groups to come back online before I begin group planning.

I'm still in to help GM. Sorry on the delayed reply, plans came up unawares yesterday.

I'm still in to help GM. Sorry on the delayed reply, plans came up unawares yesterday.
It's totally fine. I woulda hit you up sooner but I was hoping groups would come back online. Would make this a helluva lot easier, but can't really rush the admins xD

Already glanced through the webs.com site; should I make a profile for it or will most of the discussion be here on Iwaku?

Already glanced through the webs.com site; should I make a profile for it or will most of the discussion be here on Iwaku?
Well webs.com has a storage limit (not sure how much space is left) and I'm not sure if it could pose a problem but I dunno it could. I'd rather it be to yours and any other GMs convenience, which would probably mean we'd do it on Iwaku but as said... creation of groups is turned off. So I'll leave it to your choice. There's always Skype, Google Docs, that sort of thing as an option. I also might play around with the second website and try to create a discussion board for it.

Skype or Google Hangouts would work well for me since my computer denies Google Docs entirely (or I'm simply incapable of figuring put how it works, which is more likely).

Skype or Google Hangouts would work well for me since my computer denies Google Docs entirely (or I'm simply incapable of figuring put how it works, which is more likely).
Take your pick of either or, I'm open to both ^^

God in school we tried to use Google Docs for a project once, it took us the majority of the class to get everything flipping running.
Needless to say, the next day, Google was down. =.=

Love hate relationship there xD

Alright, name on Skype is ze_kraken. Icon should be a man in a wide brimmed hat if there are duplicates.

Reactions: Rainjay
Ze_Kraken

Picture should be:
Monk.jpg

Skype's also been having a lot of issues on my end recently, so that could be a bit of the problem too.

Oh, I might as well clarify myself a bit. I'm not sure if I'd want to help with the GMing, although I'm happy to spitball ideas around or help with setting building. I would be interested in playing one of the partner AIs, if that would be an option.

Oh, I might as well clarify myself a bit. I'm not sure if I'd want to help with the GMing, although I'm happy to spitball ideas around or help with setting building. I would be interested in playing one of the partner AIs, if that would be an option.
AIs will probably be played in joint with their human, although perhaps there will be other AI character roles to be filled.

And even interest is enough. It's cool to know people like the concept :P And any and all ideas are welcome; as soon as groups are back online, I'll be inviting people in who want to help, regardless of whether they wish to GM or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.