The AI Project: Chapter One

Jonas Albach and Kendrick Crow

Floor 4, Office Suite: Albach, Jonas
3:40pm
---
"Death. Simplicity itself." Jonas muttered; the latest casualty statistics had come on, and, still being an official officer of the UPN's 'Homeguard', he had received his own copy. "The end of all perception, all feeling, and yet there is a release in it, don't you think?"​

"I think it's best we don't talk about what death is or isn't, sir." Crow grunted in reply.​

"And yet who am I to send millions to this last release against a foe they only will not prevail against, but cannot prevail against? Who is anyone to ask this? Who am I to sanction the abduction of twelve individuals to put them through the same ordeal? There is no reason behind this, it is institutional madness that we adopt in order to believe that any decision we make will positively benefit ourselves as a species, when, in reality, all it does is set back the ticking clock to our own extinction. Comforting, isn't it? You can look at any other dominant life form on Earth and they had their expiration date. Nature tends to set back the clock, reset the timer. We may have avoided our own doomsday on Earth, but we have found it out in the void of space. Our time left to us runs at six years. Six years, Crow, before the Khaian destroy every single established planet. That is three hundred sixty billion lives on those planets alone. Add in the fringe worlds, the colonies, the fortress worlds and our survival will run out to little over a decade. And despite all of this, we consider fighting our best option. Countless lives wasted when all we need to do is leave. Leave or galaxy behind, adopt the mentality of our ancestors back when Earth was the only world. Enter the dark sleep of cryostasis and step out into the void once again, leave the Khaian our worlds, little good they will do them. Our time is at an end in this galaxy, Crow. We need to open our eyes and see it."​

Crow tugged uncomfortably at his dress uniform's collar before speaking, slow and deliberate. "Are you suggesting we..."​

Jonas cleared his throat, shutting off the casualty report's screen. "Cut our losses? Add in extra time? Yes, Crow, I am suggesting we leave those worlds not yet touched to the mercy of the Khaian and leave. Our extinction may yet come, but I will not be the one to see it happen. So long as there is a chance, our species will take it. We have to accept we cannot win this fight, and it is time we make choices for the greater good, do you not agree?"​

"I believe you've over-thought this."​

Last edited:
Reactions: Rainjay
April 24th, 2759
Illoca Facility, Durness
Dr. Claire Miller
For the first time in her life, Claire has left Earth, having been chosen by the UPN to help with a top-secret project. In her youth, Claire was a Medical School Prodigy. Although she could have accomplished a lot in the Medical Field, she instead chose to become a midwife, where she helps care for a Mother-to-be as well as help bring life into the world...Or in this case, Galaxy. Coming from a Military Family, she also could have joined the Military as a Medic, but had no interest in doing so. Four of her siblings were already in the Military and so was her late father. The Millers' Military History dates back to her Great Grandfather, who was a Lieutenant General during his time, but that was a very long time ago. Her Father served in the Military, having died in the line of duty twelve years ago. Both of her Older Brothers were in Special Forces, her Older Sister was a Medic and her Younger Brother was a Military Police Officer. The only two in her Family to still be in Civilian life was Claire herself and her younger sister, who was an Aircraft Mechanic. Technically, she was now a Government Official, as she was now working in the Science Division for the Military. However, it may become stressful for her. Yes, she was taking part in these experiments concerning Artificial Intelligence and how they are beneficial to the Galactic Society. However, why it'd be stressful is because it is stacked on top of the impending birth of her first child. She was going to have a baby in two months, but the experiment would last up to six, which meant she'd be giving birth not even half-way through the experiments. But what she really was afraid of was what was going to happen to her baby. Hopefully she'd be able to take care of the baby while doing the experiments, because she didn't want to be separated from her child. She was already separated from her husband enough as it was...She didn't want to be alone.

April 24th, 2759
Medical Bay, Level 4
Illoca Facility, Durness
Dr. Claire Miller
As someone who specializes in Medical Care, Claire mainly stuck around in the Medical Bay. As a Nurse, she was to monitor the health and well-being of the Test Subjects for the project. Luckily, she wasn't one of them. Hopefully the Government wasn't that low...To turn a pregnant woman into a Lab Rat. Not to mention she was told that there was going to be Military Training involved. Because her older siblings and her father are all in the military, in spite of her condition, Claire knew a good majority of the Military Combat Techniques, including but not limited to Hand to Hand, Knife Combat and the use of Firearms. In her line of work, they weren't exactly relevant, but they could come in handy later. While checking out her new work station, Claire began to wonder what the test subjects and new co-workers were going to be like. Speaking of which, since she would be unable to get her bi-weekly prenatal care, she was worried. Hopefully one of her co-workers can help her with that matter. Hopefully she wouldn't have to work with any toxic fumes or anything of that nature too.

Elric's companion answered him after the room quieted back down. "I'm fine. I guess the situation hasn't really sunk in for me yet, either." She took a sip of her water and said no more afterwards, indicating that was the end of her thought. She didn't feel like sustaining conversation, and he didn't have any good way to push it. He kept quiet and returned to his own meal. Two introverts, halfheartedly trying to talk. The idea was laughable. They hadn't even traded names. He was sure they'd learn each other's name in time, though. They were to train for six straight months, after all.

---

Blake was a little surprised to hear Riley gloss over his attempted inclusion of their fourth table member, but perhaps that was to be expected of some celebrities, the type who were more full of themselves. Something about "sexiest in the nurse's office" caught his interest, mostly because he wasn't quite sure what it meant: was Riley at his sexiest at a doctor's visit because he had to lose his shirt for a checkup, or had Riley already met a sexy nurse on the project staff? Meh, he shrugged the question off after a moment. Riley and Alice had started talking about racing now, and from the sound of the conversation, Alice just wasn't the kind of person to stay zealously tuned in to modern pop culture. Blake chuckled when she dismissed herself as an introvert. "Hey, nothing wrong with that. I say live how you're comfy living, y'know?" Some of his closest friends were shy creatures that were pleasant people in spite of it. He had no business judging.

The other man at their table seemed introverted, for one. He still hadn't said a word, but that didn't mean he had to be entirely unsociable. Blake noticed belatedly that Alice was giving the newcomer a pointed look, directing his own attention to the other man again. It was rude of them to keep shrugging him out of the conversation, wasn't it? He spoke up. "Hey, don't let us ramble on without letting you in, okay? What's your name, friend?" He reasoned that even if this guy wasn't very social, it wouldn't hurt to be friendly to him. He could shut them out if he didn't want to talk.

And it looked to be just that. Their unnamed companion twitched and looked up at them as he was addressed, and he took a few seconds to speak. "My name is Garfield Amadeus," he said in a dull voice, and after shifting his gaze between their faces for another second, he looked down at his food again. Blake took that to be body language for 'I don't want to talk now.' Or perhaps...did he not know how to socialize? "Nice to meet you, Garfield," he said with a polite smile and dip of his head, nothing more. Garfield's first impression reminded him much of Savannah. The thought that this project might have somehow ended up with two druggies worried him a bit, but he had no say in that. He decided to let the solitary man be and turn back to Alice and Riley. "Anyway! Yeah, I'm actually not really a follower of racing myself, I have to confess. But come on, no one from the Novus system doesn't know of you and your sister. How is she doing, by the way?" He meant it as courteous small talk; though he and Riley were hardly close, at least for now, he at least thought it kind to show care for another person's loved ones.

Xue Bao Qin
Wilkinson failed to mention the large holes in his ears; evidently those were not scars, but a form of adornment. Odd, certainly, but all off-worlders possessed peculiarities. Wilkinson also seemed somewhat unfamiliar with the language he spoke; "I could not" was followed immediately by "I did so." Bao Qin chewed slowly as she tried to identify the meaning of his words, but the longer she dwelt on it the more her confusion grew. His family's honor had been insulted, so he had fought to defend their honor; that much Bao Qin understood perfectly. Refusing to slay an enemy, even seeing it as "low" to do so, was incomprehensible. And ultimately, Bao Qin was unsure whether he had stated he killed the man as was his duty, or he had neglected to kill the man as was his duty.

"I thank you for the explanation, Wilkinson Sir. I believe I would enjoy learning more of New Melbourne. May I meet with you from time to time to speak more of it? I, in turn, will answer any questions you may have regarding Shu Han or myself." She could not take without giving as well.

Riley Stark
With Blake turning to Garfield, Riley faced Alice. "Yeah, I race," Riley agreed, matching the underwhelmed tone Alice had used. "Truth be told, I'm itching to get in another race: Riley Stark versus Illoca Security." Riley raised his hands to quell any surprise before it could be voiced. "No, I'm not going to. I'd just like to know if I could win or not. And I am aware this room is as bugged as the rest of the facility. Security hasn't left me any way to get my hands on a ship, so it's all moot." Riley released a small sigh in resignation, then took another bite. "Kayla would give me an earful for it, too."

"Anyway! Yeah, I'm actually not really a follower of racing myself, I have to confess. But come on, no one from the Novus system doesn't know of you and your sister. How is she doing, by the way?"

"How is Kayla doing. I would guess she's doing about as well as I am right now. Minus the pending brain surgery, of course."
Riley smiled, his eyes becoming distant as he imagined what she would be getting up to right now.

Kayla Stark
"...and this is the room you'll be sleeping in."

"Who's in the other rooms?"

"The other nursing staff. There are six of you in total."

"Six? I saw ten rooms."

"There are twelve rooms in this area."

"Why?"

"Because all the living areas have twelve rooms."

"Someone was a little obsessed, huh?"

"..."

Kayla backed off under that glare. Again. Her tour guide had no sense of humor. He wasn't forty yet--of that Kayla was sure--but he had frown lines deep enough to irrigate with. Kayla was starting to worry she was causing him to dig a trench in his skull. Even so, she couldn't resist adding her quips as the tour went on.

"Through here is the Medical Bay."

"Right next to the nurses' home. Sensible."

"Quite." The doors slid open to reveal the blindingly white interior. White walls, white lights, white beds covered in white bedsheets tucked between white curtains--again, Kayla had the feeling someone was a little obsessed when they designed it. The one part of the room that wasn't overwhelmingly white was the collection of office supplies neatly arranged atop a white desk and the woman sitting behind it. "This is Dr. Miller. She will be your direct supervisor. Obey her every command."

"Hey, that was a good one! And here's me thinking you had no sense of humor."

"..."

Oh. It wasn't a joke. Kayla swallowed and stood straight, adopting her best military posture. She pulled her shoulders pack and pushed her chest out, somehow keeping a smile off her face. It looked more exaggerated than it really was; Kayla's chest stuck out even without the posturing. "Nurse Stark, reporting for duty!"

With one last glare at the impudent girl, the guide turned to address Claire. "I'll leave her with you. It's last minute, but she's been assigned to help you here." With that, the guide left.

Kayla couldn't keep the serious posture. As soon as the door slid shut behind him, she doubled forward in a fit of giggles, clutching her stomach in an effort to contain them. "Sorry, sorry. All of this is just so comical. I'm Kayla," she offered as she straightened once again. "I kinda weaseled my way in here, but I hope we can get along."

April 24th, 2759
Dr. Miller's Office
Illoca Facility, Durness
Dr. Claire Miller
When spoken to by the guide, Claire looked up from reading through a documentation concerning Artificial Intelligence. "I see. I'd appreciate the company. Thank you." This was Claire's first time holding such a high position, but she was confident in her leadership skills.

As the Guide left, Claire set down the document, revealing her swollen belly. Because she couldn't really fit into her pants, underneath her Lab Coat, which she left unbuttoned for the most part, she just wore a Short Black Dress, Black Leggings, Black Slippers. Because she felt a little tight, Claire just unbuttoned her Lab Coat completely. She then ran her fingers through her hair to straighten it out before resting her hand on her belly and then crossing her legs before turning her attention to Kayla. "Nice you to meet you, Ms. Stark. I'm Dr. Miller." She smiled a bit. "I'm sure we'll get along just fine." She extended her free hand, offering a hand shake to Kayla.

Last edited:
April 24th, 2759
Level 4, Dining Room
Illoca Facility, Durness
3:15 PM (Durness time table)

Alice Davern

Alice continued on the conversation with Riley, as Blake attempted- and failed- to bring the fourth person at their table into the discussion. He got a name- that was about it. Garfield Amadeus. Alice almost sighed. There really was no point in acting so introverted here. If it made you more comfortable, as Blake pointed out, that was one thing, but the twelve of them were stuck here together. She wasn't sure if that was the right motivation for companionship, but it seemed to be working out well enough between Riley, Blake, and herself. Alice, at least, wanted to get some friends in order here. It made her feel a little less uneasy about the entire situation.

Alice laughed lowly as Riley spoke. It wasn't that his words were funny. They were actually kind of treasonous, in a way. She doubted that a race would be cause for the UPN to feel threatened, but it was the attitude behind it that amused Alice. "Well, I'm sure lots of people would like to get that chance, you know?" She said, leaning back in her seat. Her plate was half empty, and she was actually feeling rather full. Whatever that weird meat was, it was good, and damn filling. "I think it would be funner to play them at their own game, though." She said quietly, a small smirk playing at her lips.

Then, Blake returned to them, apparently having given up talking to Garfield. "Anyway! Yeah, I'm actually not really a follower of racing myself, I have to confess. But come on, no one from the Novus system doesn't know of you and your sister. How is she doing, by the way?"

Sister. That must have been the Kayla that Riley mentioned. Riley affirmed her thoughts, continuing on to say "How is Kayla doing. I would guess she's doing about as well as I am right now. Minus the pending brain surgery, of course."

To which Alice fought back another awkward laugh. Maybe it was just a little bit of inner hysteria breaking through at the thought of the actual Project they were participating it. Earlier, she had just told herself to keep it out of mind, but it's a whole lot harder now that she was actually in the damned facility itself. Instead, she sighed, taking a long drink from her water glass. "Lucky girl."

Then, she rose to her feet, plate and glass in hand. She presumed from what the guide said, that this kitchen was theirs, that they were responsible for keeping it cleaned up. Alice wasn't keen to live in a pigsty. "Well. The conversation was pleasant, boys. But if I'm going to be honest, I'm finding myself rather exhausted. Plus, that guide lady told us that we'd have schedules in our rooms. I'd like to go see it. And mentally prepare myself for whatever the heck we're doing tomorrow."

She carried her plate and glass to the sink, where she rinsed them off before leaving the small room. "Later, Blake! See'ya, Riley!" She called as she left and turned down the hall, retracing her footsteps back to her small room, plopping down onto the neatly made bed. She laid there silently for a moment before turning onto her side, and reaching for the PAD on the desk. The screen was blinking, an alert icon showing on the front.

"NEW MESSAGES

How clever, she thought to herself. She tapped the screen to wake it up before exiting out of the alert message. Now, she pondered, how do I get to the messages? The user interface was quite different from her own tech- obviously incredibly locked down. There was no Internet icon or access; it appeared to be more along the lines of an intranet server, or perhaps an extranet. A separate program on the PAD was to be used for messages. After selecting it, it showed up with a log-in screen.

"How the heck am I supposed to see the messages without a damned log-in?!" She exclaimed, brows furrowed in confusion. She moved to start typing random things- at school, her user was simply Dalice, or the first letter of her surname followed by her first name- but the screen blinked again, showing up a new message box.

"USER=[email protected]om
PASS=GeorgeStillOnAlva"

George was her eldest brother. How could they know that? She thought, closing the box and typing into the log-in. It accepted, and loaded up a new interface. It looked like any old normal e-mail box. There was just one message, from the same "ILLOCA FACILITY".

"I guess they are the UPN. They know everything," she mumbled to herself, rolling her eyes. She knew her brother was still on Alva. It wasn't news to her, although she supposed the password was meant to be something the other candidates wouldn't know. Still. Why would any of the others want to log-in to her 'account'? It was useless for everything except receiving messages from the damned UPN. They were apparently too lazy to come and talk to her themselves. "Pfft."

She selected the message, and began to read it.

"

Candidate Schedule

From Mondays through Saturdays:

5:00 AM - Wake-up, morning showers, breakfast
6:00 AM - Classes
[AI Theory from 6-8 AM
Study of the Brain from 8-9 AM
Basic Maths from 10-11 AM
Strategy from 11-12 AM]

12:00 PM - Lunch, free period
1:00 PM - Physical Improvement
[Warm-ups from 1-2 PM
Stamina from 2-3 PM
Strength from 3-4 PM
Hand-to-hand from 4-5 PM
Guns & Weaponry 5-6 PM]

6:00 PM - Dinner, evening showers
7:00 PM - Free period
9:00 PM - Lights out

Sundays:

5:00 AM - Wake-up, morning showers, breakfast
6:00 AM - Classes
[AI Theory from 6-8 AM
Basic Maths from 8-9 AM]

9:00 AM - Free periods (some study time expected)
12:00 PM - Lunch, free period
1:00 PM - Physical Improvement
[Warm-ups from 1-2 PM
Hand-to-hand from 2-3 PM
Guns & Weaponry 3-4 PM]

4:00 PM - Free period (some study/training time expected)
6:00 PM - Dinner, evening showers
7:00 PM - Free period
9:00 PM - Lights out"

She sighed. "This sucks." Then, she tossed the PAD back onto the desk, where it landed with a clatter, before rolling onto her back, head against the pillows. Best to get an early start with sleep, she thought. Five hours of training, minimum, a day, was going to require her every last drop of energy.

April 24th, 2759
Level 4, Mess Hall
Illoca Facility, Durness
3:25 PM (Durness time table)

Simone "Phoenix" Rish

The conversation between Elric and herself didn't last for too much longer, and Simone let it fall into silence. She felt more comfortable in the silence, anyway. She still was on edge, her muscles slightly tensed, poised to flee or fight, even though she knew there was nothing at all to be worried about, except for maybe the entire existence of this stupid Project. She shook her head- slightly- and continued eating her food quietly. It all tasted like sand in her mouth, but she needed to eat at some time.

When she finished, she stood up, offering Elric a curt, "I guess I'll see you around." before leaving, dropping her plate off with the bot in the kitchen before fleeing the room. Where was her room.... She scanned up and down the halls until she found it, the door sliding open for her. She sat down against the bed, leaning her head back, releasing a long sigh.

"I don't think I can handle any more conversations as awkward as that one was," She muttered. "Lord... if there is any kindness in the world, get me the hell out of here."​

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: FiliaFlammae
Nicholas Wilkinson

---
---
He had, in truth, explained the matter of the duel in a round-about way. It was something he did not want to dwell on long, for the memory was as vivid as it ever had been. The man pleading for mercy, the din of the gathering crowd in his ears, and his blade at his neck. That drop of ruby blood that went down its tip and to the ground. That dripping noise that seemed loud as a cannon. Then the swing and a thud; he told himself it had to be done, said it was what his culture demanded and had learned to live with it. Guilt, to Nicholas, solved no issues looking forward, only caused them looking back.​

"I would enjoy that." He replied with a quick smile. "Granted you have nothing more urgent to attend to."​

He had added it out of courtesy more than anything else, feeling that their situation here would leave them with very little to do for another day yet. Still, it was his nature to err in the side of caution, and over the years he had found himself following that self-discipline rather strictly. Taking a drink from the cup once more, Nicholas glance back at the woman briefly before returning to his food. If she had anything else to add, she would add it, that much he was sure of.​

Blake chuckled at the jokes about Riley's sister Kayla, the other half of their famous racing team. She seemed to be fine. He realized he wasn't really dreading the notion of having a chip put in his brain, either, for some reason. Sure, some part of him balked at the thought of invasive surgery, but having an AI companion to enhance his mind sounded cool more than anything else. He found himself wondering what his AI would be like. A professional personal assistant? A passive boost to Blake's own brain power? Or would it have a personality, pretending to be a companion in his head that could chat with him? Now that would be interesting.

Alice seemed done with her food. Unfortunately Blake's mouth was full at the moment, so he merely waved her a goodbye. After a few more bites, he too finished his plate and stood from the table. "Well, she has a point. I'll head back to my room. Again, it's been a pleasure meeting you, Riley, Garfield." He nodded to each of them in turn before he took his dishes to the kitchen, and after cleaning them, he moseyed back to his assigned room.

Now to see what this schedule was about. He picked up the PAD from his desk and saw a blinking alert on it that seemed to be directing him to a message reader. He opened it as he sat down on his bed, but there was a login screen, much to his bafflement. He scowled at the thing. "Ooookay, so you show me the room briefing without any trouble, but I have to get the schedule via messaging I can't access?" he grumbled. "Yeah, makes total sense." But a second after he finished the thought, another popup appeared, and this time it read:

USER=[email protected]
PASS=ThreeBestFriendsWalking​

What the... Okay. Way to rub it in. Noah and Nancy and Fiero are walking in a few months and I won't be there. You people have a sad, sick sense of humor. Regardless, he punched in these credentials and found the message he had received. He skimmed it, his expression turning more sour with each line. Early meal. Lots of classes. Lunch. Lots of training. Late meal. Bed. Every single day. He groaned as he slumped back on the bed. This was a recipe for turning him into a zombie. He didn't think his brain or his body would be able to take so much in single sittings. Their loss.

---​

"I guess I'll see you around."

Elric looked up at the sound of his companion's voice. "See you," he replied. So much for conversation. Have I really gotten that bad at communicating with people? He looked down at what was left on his plate and realized that he wasn't hungry enough to finish it. As usual. But it would be rude of him to waste food that he had dished up himself, so he forced himself to clean the plate before he took it to the kitchen.

There were messages waiting for him on his assigned PAD when he returned to his room. He slipped into his desk chair and inspected the thing. First was a notification about what he presumed was their daily schedule, though he could not read it yet, and second was a set of login credentials so that he could read it.

USER=[email protected]
PASS=JulieFirstAndLast​

He froze. Julie, first and last.

"Wait, hold up. You're seriously a twenty-four-year-old virgin? You?"

"Uh, yes? Should I not be?"

"Well, I mean, I'm just surprised. I'd expect girls to be all over you, with a face like that." She grinned and gestured to his visage.

"Heh... I'm flattered you think that. I guess I really am a wallflower."

"Oh, stop it," she said, swatting his wrist. "It just makes you all the more adorable."

"If you say so. I hope I don't put you off by being inexperienced..."

"Naw, I'll teach you all you need to know. I'll be the experienced one." She winked.

He chuckled at this. "What number am I, then, if not your first?"

"Uh...as a relationship, fourth. Third if you're only counting ones that had sex in them." She faltered and looked around, belatedly remembering they were in a restaurant and probably shouldn't speak so loudly of such things. "And, uh, that's counting you, even though we haven't gotten to that stage..." Her cheeks had flushed a bit. Ah, she looked lovely in a blush. "So I guess you should say I've had two, but I'm not sure how you'd fit in the question anymore..."

"About that, actually. I, um. I've been thinking." The shy man averted his eyes before he could help it. "You have anything to do tonight after dinner? If not, maybe you wanted to come over? Hang out, have a drink...y'know. Stuff."

She looked back at him, a grin on her face again. "Are you asking what I think you're asking? Elric's ready to take the plunge?"

He felt his face heat up. "Don't say it like that, it's embarrassing!" But he said it with a shy smile. He reached for her hands and clasped them in his own. "Really, though...I meant it when I said you mean a lot to me. I'd consider it a great honor if you were my first." His eyes twinkled at her in joy.

Her expression changed, now softer. "Elric..." She paused and then giggled after a second, but it sounded embarrassed. "You need to stop being so damn cute."

"Sorry. I'm not trying to be."

"No, I didn't mean that. I love it." She smiled at him, leaned across the table, and pecked him on the lips. "I love you."

He gave her a kiss back. "I love you too, Julie."

Her smile trembled as it grew. She sat back and turned away, wiping her eye. "Sorry. Can I say something stupid?"

He balked internally. What had he done to make her cry? He squeezed the hand she'd left on the table. "You can say anything you want," he murmured.

She sniffled before she turned back to him. Her eyes were rimmed in pink now. "It's just...you. There's something about you." Her voice began to crack. "I don't know what it is. But you're special. And I...really want it to work, this time. So much. I want..." She sniffled again. "I know it's stupid. But I want you to be my last. I feel like we really connect, and I haven't felt that before. I love you. And I want to love you forever." She reached up to wipe her eyes again.

His chest had grown warm and tight by now. He slipped a hand to her cheek and brushed the tears away with his own thumb before she could beat him to it. "Julie...I feel the same. It's okay." He nodded as he felt water brimming in his own eyes. "Maybe it's naïve, yeah, but...it's something we can try for." He smiled through the brewing tears. "I'd like that."

She smiled back. "Me too."

Julie, first and last. But what had happened wasn't the kind of 'last' either of them had meant. Elric became aware at some point that he trembled as he looked down at those credentials. His fingers clenched against the PAD. Heat brewed within his chest and leaked down his face in the form of tears, and then, after another second, he felt something inside him break. He yelled and flung the PAD at the nearest wall, where it hit with a loud thud. It was in a protective case, so it took no damage, but the magnitude of the sound was frightening. He ran his fingers into his hair and grasped at his scalp, not caring how much it hurt. He was already in pain. He slumped forward and let his forehead hit the desk, and after a few more seconds, he felt the sobs emerge. He couldn't fight them anymore.

Fuck you, world.

Fuck you, UPN, for tearing open a scar eight years old!

• Love
Xue Bao Qin
The first person left the room--Alice from the conversation aboard the Absolution. The others seemed to be breaking up and leaving as well, with no manner of dismissal. Evidently it was permissible for Bao Qin to depart as well. "Our meal now ends, and to work we return. May Tchou-- Ah, may Poullum shine down." Ordinarily the benediction was offered by whomever held the highest station at the table; however, just as Bao Qin was the only one aware of the initial blessing, she could not expect anybody to know of the closing. She could not expect them to know anything; the etiquette that Bao Qin observed as naturally as breathing seemed unheard of in this place.

It's going to be difficult, isn't it, Bao Qin observed as she returned to her room. It was a strange thought, but the former princess found herself feeling like an alien--as foreign to this world as the Khaian themselves.

Riley Stark
"Later, Alice!" Riley agreed, waving her off. With the lady removed from the table, he dug into his remaining food with vigor. He wasn't leaving until the plate was clean. And now that Alice had left, he didn't need to keep his bites small in order to carry conversation. Not that he was against talking to Blake or... Amadeus (Riley couldn't remember what he'd said his first name was; the Mozart name was all that stuck); Riley just didn't see a reason to pursue a discourse with either man. Blake left next, bidding Riley and Garf...elt? He wasn't listening again. Blake said goodbye to the two of them. Amadeus left soon as well, shuffling out with the rest of the participants.

Riley was one of the last out of the cafeteria. He paused next to Simone's door, but shook his head and continued around the corner. He did still need to unpack. For that matter, he hadn't looked inside his personal cage at all yet. He did catch a glimpse into Simone's room, but let's be honest: he was too focused on the radiant Simone to care what the bland room around her looked like. Her bright red hair, those golden eyes just on the verge of tears...

Come what may, Riley wasn't all that upset about being here.

Kayla Stark
Kayla's merriment died in her mouth and her eyes widened in amazement. Her jaw hung open, moving faintly as she tried to form words. She couldn't summon her voice. Dumbly, Kayla reached out to accept the offered handshake. She gave it a single, slow, delicate shake, as though it were a china doll Kayla might break. Finally Kayla swallowed the lump in her throat. Releasing her grasp on Dr. Miller, Kayla didn't lower her hand just yet; rather, she turned her palm down and slightly outward, as though she would reach forward. Her gaze was locked on Claire's swollen belly. "M... May I?" she asked softly, her eyes stealing a glance up to the doctor's own, but quickly returning to the unborn child.

Nicholas Wilkinson

Floor 4, Nicholas' Chambers
4:12pm
---
He'd been the last to leave the mess hall, feeling that the silence would do him some good after shoving his thoughts aside for so long. This forced meditation on the situation had, as it usually did, prompted more questions than it answered, but Nicholas had long since grown used to the feeling. It wasn't until the automated lights shut off that he decided it was time to leave. It had taken him quite some effort to find his chambers again, all the while bumbling into hallways that were marked off limits to candidates. It wasn't until he found a passing staff member that he found his way back, with assistance of course. The two didn't exchange much in the way of conversation save for a curt greeting followed by an equally curt farewell upon his arrival at the candidates' hallway.​

"Be sure to check for your personal assistance device on the desk for further information." Was the last thing the staff member said before walking back the direction they had come; personally, Nicholas had no earthly idea what this was, but he figured it would be obvious enough once he looked around.​

The room was as chilled as it had been when he had left it. His belongings, scatted across the bed before he departed for the mess hall, remained scattered across the bed, much to his peace of mind. Taking a moment to consolidate the stack of clothing, Nicholas glanced around for this assistance device. The man had said it would be on the desk...Anywhere. There it was, at least what he assumed was it. Offering it another glance, he came to the conclusion is must be, for it detailed schedules and the like, leaving contact information at the top of the screen. Contact information for what? What could he possibly use for this?​

More questioning later. For now, it is just another fact to be absorbed. Keep it that way.

[email protected]
melfirstandonly
First and only. The first and only military unit to be raised on Melbourne, and probably the last given the circumstances of the 'ceasefire.' That term made him laugh internally every time he heard it, for his people would not stand a chance against the UPN if they decided New Melbourne posed any threat. For now, though, they had a place in this falling empire, and he was there for the journey as well. History in the making, but then, why did he have to be involved?

Savannah Chapman

Floor 4, Savannah's Chambers
3:34pm
---
Savannah had been relieved when Alice stood to leave; by usual social convention it was considered rude to be the first to leave. Of course, she had also been the one to sit alone for the entire meal, so perhaps it wouldn't have mattered one way or the other. During that time she had remained intently focused on most of the conversation passing back and forth, though she didn't care for any of it. Idle chatter. Nothing useful or of import. Small smattering of personal issues, some culture exchanges, nothing more.

After Alice had left, she had followed suite quite quickly, offering no one an additional glance or pause. Her mind had already committed the known floor to memory, and she found herself in front of room two in a few moments. The door opened at her presence and she stepped in to the door's soft thump behind her. She'd made a point of already stowing away her spare clothes and electronics, which she found scattered across the desk sprouting out of the wall. Most likely searched for potentially dangerous software. She could understand that.

On her own PAD shone the introduction to facility policy, which she found, in the best sense, convenient. The file being on her own device removed the need to keep up with both of them, a liability she found was best to be left without. Her eyes glazed down the page, taking in the information lines at a time. Bringing her attention to the top once more, Savannah allowed herself a smirk.
[email protected]
DianaIUnderstudy

Touching. They should know I'm at least master's degree quality.

Last edited:
Xue Bao Qin
The first person left the room--Alice from the conversation aboard the Absolution. The others seemed to be breaking up and leaving as well, with no manner of dismissal. Evidently it was permissible for Bao Qin to depart as well. "Our meal now ends, and to work we return. May Tchou-- Ah, may Poullum shine down." Ordinarily the benediction was offered by whomever held the highest station at the table; however, just as Bao Qin was the only one aware of the initial blessing, she could not expect anybody to know of the closing. She could not expect them to know anything; the etiquette that Bao Qin observed as naturally as breathing seemed unheard of in this place.

It's going to be difficult, isn't it, Bao Qin observed as she returned to her room. It was a strange thought, but the former princess found herself feeling like an alien--as foreign to this world as the Khaian themselves.

Riley Stark
"Later, Alice!" Riley agreed, waving her off. With the lady removed from the table, he dug into his remaining food with vigor. He wasn't leaving until the plate was clean. And now that Alice had left, he didn't need to keep his bites small in order to carry conversation. Not that he was against talking to Blake or... Amadeus (Riley couldn't remember what he'd said his first name was; the Mozart name was all that stuck); Riley just didn't see a reason to pursue a discourse with either man. Blake left next, bidding Riley and Garf...elt? He wasn't listening again. Blake said goodbye to the two of them. Amadeus left soon as well, shuffling out with the rest of the participants.

Riley was one of the last out of the cafeteria. He paused next to Simone's door, but shook his head and continued around the corner. He did still need to unpack. For that matter, he hadn't looked inside his personal cage at all yet. He did catch a glimpse into Simone's room, but let's be honest: he was too focused on the radiant Simone to care what the bland room around her looked like. Her bright red hair, those golden eyes just on the verge of tears...

Come what may, Riley wasn't all that upset about being here.

Kayla Stark
Kayla's merriment died in her mouth and her eyes widened in amazement. Her jaw hung open, moving faintly as she tried to form words. She couldn't summon her voice. Dumbly, Kayla reached out to accept the offered handshake. She gave it a single, slow, delicate shake, as though it were a china doll Kayla might break. Finally Kayla swallowed the lump in her throat. Releasing her grasp on Dr. Miller, Kayla didn't lower her hand just yet; rather, she turned her palm down and slightly outward, as though she would reach forward. Her eyes were locked on Claire's swollen belly. "M... May I?" she asked softly, stealing a glance up to the doctor's own, but quickly returning her gaze to the unborn child.

'Is that the first thing you ask your pregnant boss? Really?' Claire thought. Although it wasn't exactly rude, it was a little unprofessional and abrupt. However, because she was polite enough to ask first, Claire decided it was okay. If there was anything that Claire hated, it would be people touching her belly without asking...Unless it was her Husband, her Family Members or Close Friends. It didn't exactly take her long to notice that Kayla was staring at her belly. "Sure."

Its not like she was gonna die from someone touching her, it just really irritated her whenever people did so without asking. Sadly for Claire, her baby was very active at certain times, so she would undoubtedly start kicking when Kayla touches her.

April 25th, 2759
Level 4, Dining Room
Illoca Facility, Durness
5:50 AM (Durness time table)

Alice Davern

Five o'clock in the morning.

That's when the obnoxiously loud buzzing noise came sounding through the intercoms in every candidate and staff room in the fourth floor of the building.

Quite frankly, it sounded like a prison cell security door, like the buzz that sounds when they unlock the door. As it was, the alarm did signify that their doors were open, and that it was the start of their day.

Alice wasn't too happy about that. She had gotten up sluggishly, wandering her way into the bathroom she had found the night before. There were two, one for the ladies, and one for the men, each with five shower stalls in separate rooms, five regular stalls, sinks, and a series of lockers, each with a candidate name written along the top of it. Upon opening it, she found towels, toiletries, and-

"A toothbrush! Thank the lord!"

She had gotten a few looks for that, but she didn't care. Grabbing the same toothbrush, she quickly cleaned her teeth and hopped into the shower, hoping to get in and out before anyone else came along. There were bottles of shampoo and body wash in the shower itself, behind a glass compartment that opened up at the push of a button. The shampoo smelled bland to her- maybe it was because Alice used tangerine scented shampoo at home- but she used it anyway, lathering her hair, and quickly washing it out. The shower itself was nice, built for quick, efficient, five minute showers. It suited Alice pretty well.

She dried off her hair, dressed in the clothing that had been supplied in the room, and went off to breakfast, feeling awake, and ready for the day.

"Welcome to the Project, candidate #12. Please, when you are finished eating, wait in the lounge area for further instruction to your classes. Have a good day!"

Alice jumped out of her skin when the bot began to speak next to her. It was a small orb, hovering a foot from the ceiling, spinning with a glowing electrical light. It seemed to pulse a little bit as the mechanical voice came out from it. Weirdest damn bot Alice had ever seen. After it said that, it went silent- at least until the next candidate approached, and then it went off all over again.

"Right.. we have to take classes..." She sighed, grabbing two of the energy bars supplied on the kitchen island and heading out to the lounge. She ate them as she went, and then plopped down onto a couch in the lounge to wait.

April 24th, 2759
Level 4, Mess Hall
Illoca Facility, Durness
5:10 AM (Durness time table)

Simone "Phoenix" Rish

Simone had been up the entire night, her mind spinning in circles- not even about anything in specific, just in generalized stress and strain. It was often how Simone spent her nights, laying in bed, staring at the ceiling, trapped in her own thoughts. The only solution was to sleep, but to sleep required she turn off her thoughts, but to turn off her thoughts, she needed to sleep. It was a lose-lose situation.

Eventually, though, she must have drifted off to sleep, because she woke the next morning to the sound of the most annoying alarm ever. She drew her pillows over her head, clapping her hands over her ears to block out the noise. God, it was horrible. She didn't think she could stand six months of that, even if it was only once a day. It would drive her crazy. She could see it now; the sound would get stuck in her mind, haunting her-

Maybe that was a bit dramatic.

Still, she wasn't keen on listening to it forever. She rushed out of her room, finding that the halls were empty of the noise, and sighed in relief. Then she paused, glancing over towards Riley's room. He hadn't come out yet, but she would wait. She had to apologize for her tirade the day prior. She had spent approximately a half hour the night before feeling like an ass about her unwarranted outrage. Maybe the only way to put herself at peace with it would be to apologize.

Jonas Albach and Kendrick Crow

Floor 4, Office Suite: Albach, Jonas
5:00am
---
"You weren't needed for another twelve hours at least." Had been his first response to the burly man stepping into his office, uninvited and unannounced. Jonas hadn't considered himself rude or gruff in the statement, it was just that: a statement. Dry, slightly impersonal.​

Crow had been willing enough to through in a few sharp remarks at that one before settling down opposite Jonas' desk. The two exchanged brief chatter, though if he had to be completely honest with himself, Jonas would rather the man leave. His preparation for the first day was nearly done, but this had been his one moment of silence since first boarding the Absolution. After fifteen minutes, Jonas cleared his throat after a lengthy pause.​

"I believe it's time you go, Crow." He said, using the same voice he had to address the candidates the day previous, his 'commanding' voice.​

"Sir." He nodded in reply, standing up and turning to the door. A moment later and he was gone.​

With Crow gone, Jonas slunched back into his chair with a sigh of relief, turning a stylus round and round his hand. Life wouldn't become easier from here; he wagered this would be the last time he'd have a chance to simply sit and think. After this it would be staff meetings, training, more research, taking time for candidates, and all the work required off him being on the Homeguard. His responsibilities on that front were, he admitted, lessened after his involvement in the project, but his duty still did lie with the UPN in that matter.​

He supposed he would look back on this moment tomorrow and feel a sort of surrealism. How much his mindset would change, how much he'd come to rely on times like these to keep back the tide of madness that came with war. A war they wouldn't win and a war that no one would believe they wouldn't win. It was enough to make a man weep, seeing his species on the verge of obliteration and yet being the only one to see it as such. Institutional madness, he'd called it, and he still believed it was.​

The loud buzz jolted Blake from his sleep. He groaned angrily into his pillow for a few seconds before he forced himself to sit up in bed to keep himself from going back to sleep. This was the first day of his new life, and he couldn't allow himself to make a poor first impression. After a few minutes of sitting on his bed in a daze, he finally muscled up the willpower to heft himself to his feet and cross to his dresser. He threw on one of the provided shirts at random, still half-asleep enough not to really notice what color it was. A brief mental debate on whether to have breakfast first or try to wake himself up further with a shower first waged in his head, and the desire to eat won out. He was more accustomed to evening showers anyway. He stretched and left his room, headed for the dining area.

"Welcome to the Proj-"

"Aagh!" He staggered and threw up his hands in a defensive gesture against the source of the voice.

"...when you are finished eating, wait in the lounge area for further instruction to your classes. Have a good day!"

Phew, just a greeting bot. He took a slow breath to regain his composure, straightened his shirt, and continued into the kitchen. Apparently since he hadn't started with a shower, he was one of the earliest candidates up and about, but since he'd dawdled in bed for a few minutes, he was not the first. He located the means to pour himself some bran flakes with milk, and after tracking down some orange juice as well, he sat down with the bowl and cup at one of the tables. He tried to eat quickly. He noticed Alice slip in and out at one point, only taking a few wrapped items (granola bars?) back out of the room with her. He finished fairly soon after that, got up to clean what he'd used, and headed out to the lounge.

Alice was out there already, and he saw no harm in going to hang out with her. "Six o'clock is too early for classes," he groaned as he stretched and walked in her direction. He sat next to her on the couch and slouched down into the cushions.

---​

Elric had dutifully risen at the buzzer and gone to take a shower as soon as he could. He only paid passing interest to anyone in the kitchen, and he honestly didn't feel hungry yet, so all he prepared for himself was a cup of black coffee for the time being. He loitered by a corner of the room, leaning against the wall with his free arm folded across his torso while he sipped at his mug. His eyes roved idly around the room. He eventually finished the drink, and for the last minute or so that he had been working on it, his eyes had been on the chef bot. He hesitated before lowering the empty mug and walking towards the bot, his gaze sweeping the thing up and down. "Hey there, chef bot," he said quietly once he was close to it. "Do you talk? I wonder how you work..." A peculiar light was in his eyes, curious and silently daring, as he began to circle the bot slowly. His eyes roved up and down the chassis, seeking any external controls or outlets.

April 24th, 2759
Infirmary, Medical Wing
Illoca Facility, Durness
Dr. Claire Miller and Nurse Kayla Stark

Kayla leaned over the desk and placed her hand delicately on Dr. Miller's stomach. As soon as her hand made contact, Kayla felt the child kick. A smile--joyful, childish, and just a touch envious--filled Kayla's face. "He's a... No, she's a very strong girl." Kayla released a small sigh, then removed her hand and straightened up. "Thank you, Dr. Miller. I feel a little more at home, now." They were already overdue a visit; Benjamin was born half a year ago, yet Kayla hadn't seen the newest Stark since he was a bulge in Lucy's belly--just like Dr. Miller's daughter was now. And when Riley had told Mom they wouldn't be able to visit for another six months... She had almost cried (and Mom never cried). Riley didn't seem bothered--Riley wasn't bothered by anything--but Kayla did miss home. At least now she had a small piece of it; at least, that's what it felt like.

With a mother as her supervisor, Kayla was in a comfortable place. She clasped her hands behind her back and gave Dr. Miller her undivided attention, positively radiating a desire to set to work. "So! What do I need to do? It doesn't look like there are any patients right now; may I search the cupboards so I know where to find everything?"

Claire could only smile when Kayla touched her stomach. Next to her Family, she's never seen someone be so happy after touching her stomach. Although it didn't seem likely, she was very comfortable with Claire. Since it was just their first day, Claire figured it'd be a good time to take care of her Prenatal needs because chances of it were very slim for the very next day. Or she can do two check-ups to make sure that the baby's alright. Like any mother, her baby meant a lot to her and if anything happened, she wouldn't know what'd she would do. "Please help yourself." She answered.

One thing that Claire needed help with was her Prenatal needs. Healthcare was especially important to her during pregnancy if she wants to have a healthy baby. Of course, being a Midwife herself, Claire did know how to take care of herself, just needs help with the Medical needs because its hard to do certain things when there's another human being developing inside of you. "Oh and would it be alright if you help me with my...Prenatal needs?"

"Prenatal...?" Kayla questioned, confusion momentarily halting her scouring of the cupboards. "Ah! You mean the doctor visits?" She blinked twice before remembering where she stood: in a secret lab, removed from the rest of the universe for six months. Mrs. Miller couldn't go visit a doctor; she was the doctor. "Oh, I get it! I don't know what to do, though."

"All you really need to do is check my blood pressure, measure my weight gain, measure my abdomen to check the baby's growth and check the baby's heart rate. Oh and help me with Ultrasounds...Since its kinda hard for me to do all by myself." She rubbed her belly to calm down her baby because she started kicking again. "Surely, you've...done this in the past, right?" Of course Claire has done it before, but with other pregnant women. Even the doctor has to be taken care of.

"Uh... Lucy asked me for help a few times; but that wasn't with any equipment, just the basic Expectant Mother kit from Walmart. Um, all of my... medical experience..." (Kayla had to pause there; calling the dozen times she had to patch up Riley "medical experience" seemed like lying, or at least false advertising) "...has been first aid." Hiding it would do her no good. Then again, saying it made her sound worthless. Kayla wasn't worthless, and she was quick to explain that. "But I have studied modern medicine! Bridgette Leizer's papers on "The New Nurse" explained how to operate the machines found in every hospital. I just couldn't find any hospital that would let me practice."

"I...see. Well, have you dealt with newborns before?" Claire asked.

She then stood up, using her desk to support herself and using her other hand to hold onto her belly. 'God this baby is heavy...' she thought. Of course, Claire knew that Childbearing wasn't an easy task. Because she felt like she was gonna tip over, she straightened out her hair before clasping her hands together underneath her belly. Now she felt a bit better, because a moment ago, her back was also hurting.

"Oh, of course! Careful is too soft a word, but I'll exercise it to the utmost! Just tell me what to do."

It took some time, a few short lectures, and a great deal of fawning, but ultimately Kayla was able to assist Claire as needed. One conclusion was easily reached: Kayla had no sense of hierarchy. Rather than Dr. Miller being her boss, Kayla behaved as though she was a friend. Nevertheless, the young woman learned quickly and worked efficiently; Kayla was comfortable in the infirmary by the time the check-up was concluded.

Savannah Chapman

Floor 4, Savannah's Chambers
4:45am
---
"Cellular respiration." Savannah began to herself in a hushed whisper. "Oxygen in. Chemicals in. Energy out. Waste out. The cause of life. So many processes to undo that, aren't there? So many ways the human body can kill itself by existing. Allergies. The appendix. Immune disorders. Frail. So, so frail."​

Her mind continued onward, the connection between mind and mouth failing to spark as she sat, legs tugged close to her chest. It wasn't a suicidal thought, it wasn't even one that outlined her flaws with humanity. All species had their flaws. Mice shared nearly the exact genetics as humans, and yet humans had civilization, mice did not. No, it was her way of coping. In a world where genetics and luck determined the superior and inferior, she found solace in the face that everyone shared these flaws. These traits that made them as frail as anyone else.​

"Put a bullet through Albach's brain and he dies just the same...Just the same..." Were the next words to fall from her mouth.​

Savannah's cheeks paled at the thought. Had she said it? Or was it, as she'd like to blame it on if questioned, the aftermath of her STEM-induced mind? No, that wouldn't do it. STEM cleared the thought process, it didn't muddle it. It didn't even make her think differently; it brought the voice, and as far as she was concerned that was just the annoying piece of humanity they called a conscious. But then, if she didn't feel the conscious was all valid to humanity, why she did feel it necessary to her ability to function? Did it matter at all?

April 25th, 2759
Level 4, Dining Room
Illoca Facility, Durness
6:10 AM (Durness time table)

Alice Davern

"Six o'clock is too early for classes,"

Alice stirred herself from her internal thinking to look up as Blake spoke, and sat- more like plopped- down onto the couch, leaning back. Alice herself was struggling not to sink back into the cushions and fall asleep, even though she had had a decent nights rest. It was like highschool all over again, she thought. Only in highschool, she refused to wake up this early anyways. She just was tired all the time.

"I don't know what the heck these guys were thinking. Why not start at 10 or something? Sure, the schedules busy, but.. I dunno. Make it more compact." She said in response, although her reply was more along the lines of pondering than conversation. "I don't know. I'll probably sleep through the day. Until the training, anyway. You hear about that? They're trying to teach us how to fight. Pfft." She scoffed. "Idiots."

"How was your night? Decent?" She asked. She didn't imagine most of the candidates had had the best sleep of their life here. The entire place was kind of creepy. There was this hum in the air, and she spent her waking moments in her room listening to it, like an air conditioner, but not. It had the atmosphere of a hospital mixed with a school mixed with a hotel, and in the end, it just kept her on edge, but not enough to stress. It was like her brain was confused if it was in paradise or hell.

The night before, Alice had promised herself one thing: She'd give this place a fair chance before settling down on opinions. She'd never been quite happy with the UPN and their decisions- they'd made quite a few stupid ones, and so many horrific ones that she couldn't even count them all if she had years to do it and help- and it automatically turned her off on this 'project' entirely, but pessimism wasn't exactly her style. She'd get through this ordeal better if she were a bit more optimistic about it, she had decided, and so she said to herself that she would at least try to be positive about this project, and give it her best. The UPN always tried to make their slogan 'For humanity!" and shit like that. Hopefully this project actually would. Somehow. It seemed unlikely to Alice it would.

But still, optimism.

--

"Hello, Candidate. Yes, I have the ability to speak. Why do you inquire of this?"

The bot in the candidate's kitchens- 'chef bot' - returned a response to Elric a moment after being spoken so, although it didn't seem to react or show any recognition to the man. It continued to stand there as if nothing had happened, showing no real emotion whatsoever. But still, it responded.​

Riley didn't beat the alarm. He sincerely wished he could have--with a baseball bat, a frying pan, a dictionary, anything that would make that incessant noise cease. That, Riley decided, would be his task for the first free hour today: find the speaker and destroy it. He didn't care if the room was bugged--they could listen to whatever they wanted--but there was no way he was going to listen to them.

Classes began in an hour. Leaving ten minutes for breakfast, fifteen for shower, and the five he was expected to be early, Riley had thirty minutes to space out as he wished. Step one, then, was to climb out of bed and wake up. Step two was exercise. Push-ups, pull-ups, and crunches would be enough; the afternoon regimen would cover everything, so right now he only need his blood flowing.

Riley spent some minutes doing push-ups first, as they were simplest. Next came crunches; Riley collected his exercise bar and opened the room's door so he could use the frame to mount it. He paused as soon as the door was open, his eyes greeted by Simone and her fiery hair. A welcoming smile instantly filled his face. Riley could only hope it would take her attention away from the rest of his appearance: his hair was bunched and frazzled, his forehead glistened with the smallest line of sweat, and he still wore a pair of soft pajama bottoms below a plain undershirt pulled taut across his chest.

"Good morning," he commented cheerfully, bracing the bar in the door frame and giving it a pair of experimental tugs. "It's wonderful that you're the first thing I'm blessed to see. Is there something I can do to repay the kindness?"

Maybe allowing his body to sink back into the sofa hadn't been the best idea. Only a few moments after Alice began to answer him, Blake was aware of his eyes drooping and his consciousness beginning to drift. He heard her talk about making the schedule compact and sleeping...mmm, more sleep sounded nice. Something about battle training faintly made itself known in his mind, but he didn't actively notice it.

"How was your night? Decent?"

He felt a jolt as his brain processed that he was being addressed and then caused his body to lurch. "Ah, hi, sorry, what?" He pushed himself up into a more upright sitting position, internally scolding himself for drifting off. His brain wasn't quite done lurching back into gear, but it tried. "Sleep? Right. Some happened. Think I tried to go to bed too early last night, woke up at two in the morning and couldn't go back to sleep. Finally gave up and turned the TV on for a while...found our episodes..." He trailed off for a moment. Unsure of what else to do during his period of wakefulness early that morning, he had sifted through his provided TV's show archives and miraculously located Blake's own little claim to fame. Vocalive, season six, New Essex regional qualifiers. Aired from March 2758 to May 2758. Week four, Conrad Wraithfield's "Heart Afire." Good heavens, had Nikolai proved he could wail on that one. He and Noah had always had such good chemistry, and vocally was no exception. Week six, Evelynne Pauling's "Where Is Your Moon." Ash's first spotlight, a duet with Nancy, and had he crooned out a winner. The judges' praise had left the poor boy crying. Week seven, Generation Zed's "Dream Of Juliet." Tani... Tani had taken the lead on that one. Oh how he wanted to hear that low, sultry voice of hers forever...

His head snapped up from half-sleep again. "Ah, sorry. You can tell I had trouble, ha ha. I eventually gave up with the TV and fell asleep around four-ish. Didn't like it when five rolled around." He stiffened in his seat a little more, trying his hardest not to let himself relax again. It was rude not to give Alice his undivided attention, and besides, classes would begin soon.

---​

"Oh, just idle curiosity," Elric told the bot. "Wondering what you're capable of." He kept inspecting the bot's exterior as he processed its response. It had not spoken with any kind of personality to its tone, nor had it made any humanlike gestures. It was just there, and it had responded exactly to his question, nothing more. He supposed there had been no reason for its creators to add anything more, of course. Its job was to prepare food as requested. But still... "What a waste of electronic real estate," he murmured to himself, that strange, eager light still in his eyes. Since the appliance had only reacted to his words, not his motions, he tentatively placed a hand on the chassis and traced his fingers around, looking for any hidden panels that might have contained input controls or sockets. Perhaps it was foolish of him to entertain the thoughts in his head at that moment, but he couldn't help but think it: he could improve this creature.

April 25th, 2759
Claire's Office, Medical Wing
Illoca Facility, Durness
6:30 AM
Dr. Claire Miller
Sleeping proved a bit difficult for Claire; she had a vivid dream concerning her baby, which left her worried. When she got up, she just got dressed before leaving her quarters to go into her Office. Since it was the first day for the Experiments, Claire still needed to know more about A.Is and their relationships with their hosts. Unless properly maintained, most A.Is seem to start deteriorating and then go rampant, where they think themselves to death, at least from what she read in the documentation that she started reading the previous day. While waiting for the rest of the staff to get up and meet with her, she continued to read the documentation while at the same time trying to calm down her baby, who has been active all morning and triggered her to awaken early. Normally, she'd be up and energetic, but the amount of work pregnancy has been putting on her body makes her very tired and she didn't really want to drink any coffee. Since no one working in the Medical Wing was up yet, she figured that it'd be a good time to muse with the baby. "Guess Mommy has a lot of work to do, doesn't she, sweetie?"

Claire just started holding her belly. "Mommy still loves you, even though she can't even fit into her pants..."

In all honesty, she couldn't wait to hold her baby, but the amount of work she had to do...Would she even have time for that? Because she still has to feed her and take care of her like any mother should be doing. But how long would it get to be until she gets to see her Father? One thing on Claire's mind is that the Father would not be present during childbirth, which did make her sad.