The Age of Ethrium (Medieval Fantasy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KiloAlpha157

Original poster
Hello!

This is a concept I've built and have wished to play out for some time. It is meant to be a long term action/adventure story in a medieval fantasy world of my creation. Graphic violence and sexual content will be present but not superfluously. With my worlds and roleplays, I love filling them with all sorts of interesting characters who develop alongside the story itself. I need a partner who is comfortable with a large cast of characters involved in the roleplay and isn't afraid to contribute to that cast. I tend to roleplay in the first person perspective but I am not married to that if my partner would prefer otherwise. My post length varies as there is not always a necessity for longer replies though I like to match my partners. When it comes to grammar, spelling, and punctuation I only request that you do the best you can. I am far from an expert and I do not expect my partner to be.

All the information for my concept has been organized and labeled for your convenience. Thank you for reading and please let me know if you're interested.

LORE:

Many years ago, the Gods gathered their might and created the world. This world consisted of one gigantic landmass, the borders of which were sealed off by their will. The will of the Gods traveled throughout the land, creating lakes, rivers, forests, valleys, deserts, tundra, and mountains. Once this world was carved out before them, the Gods created life to inhabit it.

Among the countless life forms built to roam the land, the one that rose above the rest was Humanity. They fashioned tools, created towns, roads, and many works of art. Humanity prospered in this world. The Gods were exhausted from the work they had done to bring everything to life. After great deliberation, the Gods decided that Humanity was worthy enough to inherit the mantle of responsibility that they carried. One fateful day, the Heavens cried from above, raining down crystals of blue, red, green, yellow, white, and black. These crystals were made of Ethrium, the essence of the Gods. Their mantle passed on, the Gods entered a deep slumber.

Ethrium became one with the earth itself and all of its life. Over time, fantastic creatures were found wandering the world, and generations of Humans who could harness the power of the crystals were born. Used as a power source, Ethrium allowed Humanity to erect many awesome cities and mighty fortresses. This was Humanity's golden age of peace and prosperity. Unfortunately, as is the nature of all things, it would not last.

No one knows what started the Great Ethrium War, but it nearly tore the world to pieces. Dozens of factions arose and tens of thousands of Ethrium Wielders were killed. As a result, many of the crystals embedded within the planet withered and died. Humanity had lost its gift and many of its Ethrium based wonders. Great cities fell into disrepair and fortresses were abandoned. Desperate and broken, Humanity united under a single Monarchy and the war ended with no true victor.

Generations passed as Humanity carried on without the power of Ethrium to fuel their way of life. There were some who believed their gift would return if they appealed to the Gods, but they received no answers. One day though, a miracle happened. The King's wife gave birth to six children. All of them were girls and each of them wielded one of the six powers of Ethrium. The Kingdom rejoiced as their faith in the Gods was renewed.

It is said that the King received thousands of suitors for his daughters, with many families desperate to bring an Ethrium Wielder into their family line. The King, protective over his girls, soon allowed protectiveness to turn into paranoia. He turned away all suitors, even those belonging to noble families he long considered allies. Allegiances were shattered and rebellion arose, with many furious that the King would hoard such a gift.

By keeping his daughters away from the rest of the world, he easily brainwashed them into doing his bidding. These six girls used their power to kill thousands and enslave even more. It was not long before the rebellion was crushed and the King's rule was made absolute. None dared oppose him. Still, the paranoia ate away at him to the point where he no longer trusted the kin he used to achieve victory.

Working behind their backs, one by one he betrayed his children, creating horrific devices that subdued them and harnessed their power. Six towers were built around the world to house the girls, with a seventh built in the center of the land to house the King himself. All threats finally neutralized, the King ruled a land of frightened people and shattered spirits.

The cause for what happened next is speculated by many but known by none. Some say the King tried to pierce the veil that bordered the world. Others say that he attempted to enter the Heavens. All that is known for certain is that one day the King woke the Gods. Furious with what they saw, they used all of their might to punish Humanity for their sins.

Most of Humanity was wiped out and the world split into four pieces. As the continents drifted apart, the Gods created a vast ocean to fill the void between them. The veil was stretched out to the point that no Human could ever reach it. Humanity, though forever connected to Ethrium, had its link severely weakened, ensuring that it could be never be used for such terrible purposes ever again. Once again, the Gods slept.

Many years have passed since that time, and there are none left alive who lived it. Though there are those who still study Ethrium and are capable of wielding it to different extents, it is considered taboo in many societies, a reminder of Humanity's greatest sin. However, there are still those who believe that the Age of Ethrium will come again…

ETHRIUM:

Ethrium crystals are concentrated into six different colors: blue, red, green, yellow, white, and black. Each color encompasses different forms of magic:

-Blue: Water and ice magic.

-Red: Fire magic.

-Green: Nature and earth magic.

-Yellow: Air magic.

-White: Healing and support magic.

-Black: Deception and corruption magic.

The ability to use Ethrium is one that every sentient being theoretically possesses, but in the current age only those with proper training can make significant use of these powers. Even then, this power must first be unlocked. To achieve this, a person must come into contact with an Ethrium crystal. Innately they will be drawn to one particular color, and once they are attuned to that crystal and its color, it can never change. A Wielder cannot cast spells without their crystal to draw power from. It must always remain in close proximity through whatever means necessary.

CONTINENTS & FACTIONS:

1. Ackria: The southernmost of the four continents in the world. It is a land of kings and queens, lord and ladies, and knights and horses. The continent is split into two kingdoms: Rominus in the west and Aradesh in the east. They are divided by a massive mountain range in the north and a harsh desert pass in the south.

-Rominus: The more progressive of the two kingdoms. Rominus is known for being more tolerant of minority species and Ethrium Wielders. The ruling King has three Lords below him who are entrusted to watch over different areas of his kingdom. Rominus is famously known worldwide for a division of its army comprised entirely of women, aptly named the Shield Maidens.

-Aradesh: More traditional and xenophobic, Aradesh has always kept to itself. It is a peaceful and quiet kingdom. Rumor has it that some of their forests are littered with ruins pre dating the Great Ethrium War. Such places are forbidden even for citizens of the kingdom to step upon.

2. Lavil: The western continent of the world, where the College of Ethrium maintains absolute dominion over the entire land. While most societies shun or outright oppose the use of Ethrium, the College is based around its use with a goal of restoring Humanity to its former glory. The continent itself is a massive cityscape. The surface of Lavil has long since been built over entirely. Metal forged into all manner of buildings covers every inch of land. In Lavil, Ethrium Wielders rule and non wielding humans are subservient, working lesser jobs and living in poorer conditions.

-Council of Magisters: The ruling body of the College and Lavil itself. Six Magisters sit on this council, each one a master and representative of their respective Ethrium color. The Magisters are elected individualsl; each division elects their own leader. The Council is the second strongest set of Ethrium Wielders in the world.

-Precincts: For each color there is an elected Magister to lead it and a school dedicated to teaching its use. To better facilitate the seperation of the schools, the cityscape of Lavil was divided into six equally sized precincts, with a smaller seventh in the middle of Lavil for the six schools to congregate. Each precinct and its subsequent school contributes different research and goods to the entire continent.

-Spires: In each precinct is a spire that each governing Magister calls home, built to emulate the towers once used to imprison the six daughters of the King who angered the Gods. In the central precinct a seventh spire sits, built so large that it can be seen from anywhere in Lavil. This one, of course, represents the tower the King built for himself.

-Training: All children in Lavil are tested for their magical affinity at age four. If they attune to a crystal, they are taken by the College and trained until the age of twenty. When they turn twenty, they are given five years to repay the College for their training. This repayment comes in the form of either a significant discovery for the archives or an invention of some kind that benefits society. The most skilled of these young Wielders are given the option of traveling the world to complete this pilgrimage, though not many take this option due to how the rest of the world perceives Ethrium Wielders.

-Trade Relations: While most continents do not trade with each other, the College offers open bounties on Ethrium crystals and relics pre dating the Great Ethrium War. Typically they pay in universal luxury goods that are desired world wide. The College is also highly distrustful of any Ethrium Wielder who was not trained at the College, and have been known to send their own fully fledged mages to hunt down rogue Wielders. In the event that their own mages cannot complete the job, vast fortunes are offered to those who can.

3. Bol Galtar: The northern continent. When the Gods split the land, most fantastic creatures and sentient non human races were left on what became Bol Galtar. Chief among them were the proud Dwarfs, the cunning Elves, and the mighty Orcs. These races divided themselves and drew clear territorial lines.

-The Dwarven Empire: Occupying the mountains of the south, the Dwarves build great fortresses and cities on and in the mountains. They craft beautiful works from all manner of metals and gems. Some rumors even say that they imbue Ethrium crystals into their works, granting them magical properties. Dwarves value wealth and status above all else. The richest Dwarven family rules over the entire Empire, with the head of the family ruling as the Emperor or Empress. This dominant spot has changed hands several times since the birth of the Empire, but the current ruling family has stayed in power longer than any other family in its history.

-The Elven Clans: The largest and most divided of Bol Galtar's species, the Elves make their homes in the forests and valleys of the west. Elves are a more diverse group, finding balance in having dozens of seperate clans that rule themselves. Each clan has their own traditions and laws that differ from other clans, sometimes causing friction. Other than the occasional clan squabble, the Elves live in relative peace with nature.

-The Orcish Commonwealth: The Orcs occupy the eastern plains and swamps of Bol Galtar. When the land was first divided between the three species, the Orcs held a massive gathering, where as a species they decided what was best for their people as a whole. Those values were agreed upon as a species, and such values were passed down from generation to generation. Orcs typically never congregate in too large of groups. Families took care of themselves, working with other families when both parties had something to gain.

-The War: Twenty years ago, for reasons still not understood, the Orcs united and launched coordinated attacks on both the Elves and the Dwarves. The natural defenses of the mountains in which the Dwarven Empire is seated have made it difficult for the Orcs to make a strong push into their territory. The Elves, however, have been slowly and consistently pushed back, their people slaughtered or enslaved by the Orcs. Though the Elves have turned to the Dwarves for an alliance against this onslaught, they have been rejected each time. With no unity and so much uncertainty, the fate of Bol Galtar is shrouded in darkness.

-Dwarves, Elves, and Orcs in other lands: While most non human sentients remain in Bol Galtar, some have dared to journey to Lavil or Ackria. Most treat non humans with little respect, preventing them from earning a fair living. They often end up in slums, living a life of poverty and dreaming of a home they wish they could return to.

4. Netheren: The forbidden land, in the far east. From the legends passed down over the years, it is known that the King who angered the Gods was born in what became Netheren. Scout ships from Ackria and Lavil have reported seeing nothing along the shores but ancient ruins from before the Great Ethrium War. Nothing else is known about Netheren. Every soul that sets foot on its soil never returns.

5. The Eight: A mysterious organization comprised of eight members. Legends say they were among the first humans, wielding the ancient Ethrium powers of the old world. To most, they are a bed time story told to fascinate children. To some, they are used to explain the unexplainable. To a select few, they are real. In the recent years, more and more sightings have been whispered of across the world.

Something big is set to happen.

PROMPT:

In the southernmost continent of Ackria, two kingdoms lived in relative peace until now. King Bryson Endell of Rominus has assembled a mighty host to invade the eastern kingdom of Aradesh. The invasion was so sudden that a great deal of territory was taken before Aradesh even had a chance to retaliate. By the time they did, the armies of Rominus were ready, and the defenders' host was shattered in a bloody battle.

Now the armies of Rominus march north toward the enemy's capital. Though slowed by guerrilla fighters and stragglers from the royal host, there is little to stop them from total victory. Still, Aradesh refuses to surrender, ready to fight to the last man if that's what it takes.

This story begins in a humble yet prosperous Aradesh town overlooked by a keep, just east of where this crushing battle took place. Bordered mostly by forest with only a single road travelling through it, the town of Greenleaf has never known war until now.

Tyrious Westmore is the second son to Lord Tygan Westmore. Tygan is the Commander of all Rominus' invading forces and is directly responsible for the campaign's resounding success. Tyrious is a skilled warrior, but he is constantly overshadowed by his older brother. Greenleaf, now under the official rule of Rominus, requires new management.

Deciding it's time his son learns real responsibility, Tygan leaves Tyrious in charge of Greenleaf and begins the march north. With a bitter populace to manage and a forest full of freedom fighters to face, he'll have more than his fair share of challenges. But this is just the beginning of his journey, and yours. Who will you be?

• Love
Reactions: moffnat and Saren
I am very interested reminds me of game of thrones

I would love to partake in this. PM me if you're still looking for a partner!

The name why her why. She is a horrible person in game of thrones
I suggest we don't go into that. She's a fantastic character whom I adore and admire very much. I'm not sure why you felt the need to express your negative opinion, but I don't much appreciate it, so you should drop the subject. Thanks.

it's an opinion as you stated negative or not
This is someone's request thread. Take your opinions elsewhere please, out of respect for the other person.

This is someone's request thread. Take your opinions elsewhere please, out of respect for the other person.

just a comment, Relax. it's not like I said you were a horrible person.

Absolutely, without a doubt, would I love to participate in this if you are still searching.

Love it! Reminds me so much of Dragon Age: Inquisition (one of my favorite video games of all time)! I'll PM you if you're still looking for a partner.

Status
Not open for further replies.